Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

courtney_beth posted:

I like that Rachel has this little secret about her tattoo and she'll always remember Finn in her own way. :3:

I, for one, cannot wait for the future storylines wherein Rachel must explain to every guy she sleeps with why she has another guy tattooed on her! I hope one such explanation is a stammered, "I just really like Huckleberry Finn, okay?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

xeria posted:

I, for one, cannot wait for the future storylines wherein Rachel must explain to every guy she sleeps with why she has another guy tattooed on her that she has hepatitis.

Fixed for Ryan Murphy.

cyclical
Nov 26, 2005
No, not that one.
Shirtless Chris Colfer :swoon:.

Unique's "If I Were A Boy" was entirely fantastic. The rest of Lima was... there.

I loved what they did with Rachel and her tattoo - a delicate touch for a show that's usually hamfisted about everything. Well done. I'm glad I can finally praise this show for something again. I also appreciate Kurt and Rachel both mentioning Kurt and Blaine actually talk to each other; next step, actually showing them talking to each other, because it's been a barren wasteland for those two since the engagement. Kurt's tattoo is entirely ridiculous, but hilarious. The tongue piercing will be gone by next week.

Thanks, Glee, it took you years to finally objectify Chris the way you do every other male on the show (aside from Artie - I wonder why that is), but I appreciate it and won't be forgetting it anytime soon.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS

xeria posted:

I, for one, cannot wait for the future storylines wherein Rachel must explain to every guy she sleeps with why she has another guy tattooed on her! I hope one such explanation is a stammered, "I just really like Huckleberry Finn, okay?!"

That was the other thing I was thinking off --it's going to be incredibly awkward to explain "Well, my ex-fiance died (in unexplained way) and this is how I remember him"... Rachel should just stay celibate at this point and embrace her one true love: theater.

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."
If she really wanted to keep it secret she could say it was supposed to be "fin" but the artist hosed it up. But that seems like it would come back to bite her in the rear end eventually? I'm sure it would depend on short vs long term hookups.

Ive dated a lot of guys with tattoos and I've never asked about them, though they've brought it up themselves. If I saw a name I'd assume it was someone once close to them and wouldn't press the issue. I'm not especially nosy though.

I missed shirtless Kurt! I was baking and not watching the screen the whole time. Boooo!

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
This is Glee and therefore about as far from real life as it gets, so I'm sure if there's at least 15 minutes of drama to mine from Rachel getting Finn tattooed on her side at some point in the near/far future, they will write that poo poo into an episode.

Though really at this point, I'm half-expecting a Sam/Rachel 'endgame' out of this show somehow.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I liked this episode, gently caress it. Will throwing the Sue tantrum (and frankly much of Will's plot here in general) is the most likable he's been in a while, and the tattoo thing made me :3: as well. Honestly, I might be weird but unless it was like, huge, if a girl had a guy's name on her I might not even ask about it, and if I did, if she told me what Rachel would I wouldn't find it that weird at all.

Maybe I'm the weird one here though, so grain of salt.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

I think the only grounds Sue had for firing Will was because he was twerking with students, so once he appealed the school board on that, there was no actual basis for firing him, more's the pity. You didn't miss anything, the episode just wasn't very clear about it.

I thought she fired him because he was a hugely inappropriate creep sexualizing his students with himself in the middle in a song about date rape.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Sub Rosa posted:

I thought she fired him because he was a hugely inappropriate creep sexualizing his students with himself in the middle in a song about date rape.

Of all the bitchy reasons one might imagine Sue would fire will over (stupid hair, stupid face, bad taste in music, etc) I thought this was a totally valid one.

Speaking of Sue being in charge - why are they acting like that's a new thing? I kinda stopped watching for a while, but hasn't she been the principle for at least a season or two by now? Same "becky as secretary" setup and everything.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Yeah, this episode went all over the spectrum. Sue was completely right about Blurred Lines (or PUA: The Song). That said, I did think Will's point was fair - countless dances have been decried for sexualisation in the past and I really cannot define how the backlash against twerking is different in any valid way. Still creepy, but mainly for the student/teacher thing. The Unique plot was well-handled, I thought - brutal bullying and touching ending.

The NY story was good, and I'm glad they're keeping Finn's memory around - I originally thought they would remember him with The Quarterback, and then move on entirely, but I prefer this approach. That said I would have liked the tattoo to be something about Finn rather than just his name.

BreakAtmo fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Nov 16, 2013

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Will and Sue are rehashing the same old fights that they've always fought over and over again, and they'll be fighting this endless fight long after every one of their students have moved on and left them behind in their static conflicts. Will will always advocate for freedom of expression and Sue will always advocate for censorship. Will is not the "good guy" here for promoting twerking and Sue is not the "bad guy" for censoring it because ethics don't really enter into their dialogue at all. Will said it himself, during his odd constitutional rant; twerking is not actually so important to him (and ends up not being so important to his kids as well) as fighting for the right to express whatever he wants to express. Will and Sue support their ideologies for the sake of those ideologies, not necessarily as means to an ethical end, but as as ends onto themselves.

So Will will always go on his freedom of expression rants...and he might periodically end up helping his students when he does so, sure. And Sue will always argue for moderation...and a lot of the time she will make a lot of salient points about it. But those are happy byproducts of random circumstance, not guaranteed outcomes of their beliefs. Because other times Will will go on these crusades and absolutely end up hurting his students for it, and other times Sue will be wholly traditionalist without a single rational justification for it. It doesn’t matter. It’s why we get people thinking "Oh this week Will/Sue wasn’t so bad/good," or that they can do both terrible and great things in a single episode, because actually doing good with what they do is far less important to them than doing what they do anyway. They are operating from absolutist stances, and absolutism is dumb.

XboxPants posted:

Speaking of Sue being in charge - why are they acting like that's a new thing? I kinda stopped watching for a while, but hasn't she been the principle for at least a season or two by now? Same "becky as secretary" setup and everything.
She was principal for two episodes in season 2, but hey who's counting?

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
It's funny to me how Will and Sue are basically opposite sides of the same coin in that regard. Sue's often more extreme in her various antics but Will isn't inherently the 'good guy' just because he opposes her more often than not. It's really more on how hosed up schools are in this universe that Figgins remained principal for as long as he did, Sue was lauded for her championships even as she literally pushed old ladies down the stairs, and Will was handed Teacher of the Year the same year that he had to acknowledge he couldn't actually speak the language he'd been teaching for years. And then there's the side bits like the previous history teacher with the pull-down map of NAZIS TAKE OVER THE WORLD. It's a wonder Quinn got into Yale if these were the people actually responsible for her education.

XboxPants posted:

Sue was acting principal for a couple episodes in season 2, then abdicated the position when she realized how tied her hands really were in trying to handle Kurt's bullying issues (I think?). Then in the first episode of this season she framed Figgins for pretty much everything in the world and took his position as a result.

cyclical
Nov 26, 2005
No, not that one.

BIG CITY LAWYER posted:

I missed shirtless Kurt! I was baking and not watching the screen the whole time. Boooo!

I wouldn't want you to be denied this momentous occasion, so have a gif. He's very definitely no longer the 12yo from season 1.

xeria posted:

Though really at this point, I'm half-expecting a Sam/Rachel 'endgame' out of this show somehow.

I will be very, very surprised if this relationship doesn't end up happening at some point. Rachel does help Sam with a modeling gig when Sam and Blaine visit NYC, so maybe that's sowing the seeds?

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."
You have my eternal thanks!

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Honestly, at this point I think Sam is the only person I could accept Rachel getting into a relationship with, and even then, only in the very last episode of the series. I really do think they'd be good for each other, but anything before the finale (and without a ton of platonic friendship first to set it up) would seem too soon.

DapperDinosaur
May 27, 2012

This is what America's next drag super star does...

She works for a living.
Speaking of Sam, I'm convinced his storyline with Penny was originally intended for Finn. Especially since no one has commented on how odd it is for the school nurse to be dating a student.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Sam's the only male character who's never been ruined by random arbitrary bullshit storylines and that means he comes across really well. It's a shame his current romance is so blah and his current hair is so awful because it's disguising how great he was all last year.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I don't get what is going on with the hair on this show because Season 2 Sam got pretty shaggy and he looked fine. I'm convinced with better hairdressers, Sam would be our own little strippin' Thor right now.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Sam's hair wouldn't bother me so much if it wasn't so greasy looking. Take a drat shower Sam!

DapperDinosaur posted:

...Especially since no one has commented on how odd it is for the school nurse to be dating a student.

I thought this too, but after Puck and Rachel's mom I just kind of rolled my eyes and accepted it. They also had no problem with Sam being an underage stripper either.

Also, the Blurred Lines montage was disgusting.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Nov 17, 2013

Way Strong Pimphand
Feb 19, 2010
So I'm catching up after the tribute episode and... did Will just suspend his teenage student from Glee club for a week because she refused to wear a seashell bikini on stage?

Will Schuster, teacher of the year.

Way Strong Pimphand fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Nov 20, 2013

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
MUSIC POST! (Sorry it's late.)
All songs this week by Billy Joel.

Movin Out, by Nightwing and Blonde Chameleon (Sadly in their civilian identity): I love this. Though, to be fair, it's Blaine and Sam. I would've liked anything they sang. That said, it's still probably my favorite song of the episode.

Piano Man by Blaine Warbler: Bryan Ryan's version was better. :colbert: (It was good)

My Life by Jake Puckerman: I liked it. Jake's a good singer.

Honesty by Artie Abrams: Middle of the road for Artie, meaning great.

An Innocent Man by Ryder Lynn: It's competent. I don't hate it, but the rest of the songs above it are better.

Just the Way You Are, by Santana, Sam, Blaine, Kurt, and Rachel: Just look at the group singing this, and you'll know what I'm about to say: It's great.

You May Be Right, by The Wretched Bass Clef, Divider of Glee Clubs and New Directions: I like Matthew Morrison's voice. I assume the context of the song is incredibly creepy, but #3 song of the episode for me.

:siren:As a reminder the besties nominations for last week's episode are now allowed.:siren: Please nominate. I don't want to have to use my backup songs to balance numbers

Senerio fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Nov 20, 2013

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Senerio posted:

MUSIC POST! (Sorry it's late.)
All songs this week by Billy Joel.

Movin Out, by Nightwing and Blonde Chameleon (Sadly in their civilian identity): I love this. Though, to be fair, it's Blaine and Sam. I would've liked anything they sang. That said, it's still probably my favorite song of the episode.

Piano Man by Blaine Warbler: Bryan Ryan's version was better. :colbert: (It was good)

My Life by Jake Puckerman: I liked it. Jake's a good singer.

Honesty by Artie Abrams: Middle of the road for Artie, meaning great.

An Innocent Man by Ryder Lynn: It's competent. I don't hate it, but the rest of the songs above it are better.

Just the Way You Are, by Santana, Sam, Blaine, Kurt, and Rachel: Just look at the group singing this, and you'll know what I'm about to say: It's great.

You May Be Right, by The Wretched Bass Clef, Divider of Glee Clubs and New Directions: I like Matthew Morrison's voice. I assume the context of the song is incredibly creepy, but #3 song of the episode for me.

:siren:As a reminder the besties nominations for last week's episode are now allowed.:siren: Please nominate. I don't want to have to use my backup songs to balance numbers

So excited for an episode of Cis White Males doing Cis White Male things :allears:

Yes I know about Jake but shut up I want to be offended

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Rarity posted:

So excited for an episode of Cis White Males doing Cis White Male things :allears:

At least you can admit you're just looking for an excuse to be miserable, but that doesn't make it cute or endearing.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Way Strong Pimphand posted:

So I'm catching up after the tribute episode and... did Will just suspend his teenage student from Glee club for a week because she refused to wear a seashell bikini on stage?

No, he didn't. Will can be horrible enough without making stuff up.

Rarity posted:

Hey, Billy Joel is awesome. :( I wish they'd stop doing theme weeks though.
(spoiler about the theme for this week)

Also, Amber made the semi-finals on Dancing with the Stars. Good for her. :)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

KilGrey posted:

No, he didn't. Will can be horrible enough without making stuff up.
Wait, he kinda did, though? I mean he didn't suspend her specifically because she didn't wear a bikini, instead he was pissed that she wasn't a team player or whatever, but it's a pretty technical difference where the end result is the same.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

BrianWilly posted:

Wait, he kinda did, though? I mean he didn't suspend her specifically because she didn't wear a bikini, instead he was pissed that she wasn't a team player or whatever, but it's a pretty technical difference where the end result is the same.

I think a good part of it was that not only did she not dress as a Gaga, she deliberately flaunted the edict by wearing a distinctly Katy outfit. If she had just worn a normal outfit I don't know that Schu would have come down as hard as he did.

It was pretty silly of her to dress like she did. It was akin to wearing the uniform of the rival team.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Manos del Sino posted:

I think a good part of it was that not only did she not dress as a Gaga, she deliberately flaunted the edict by wearing a distinctly Katy outfit. If she had just worn a normal outfit I don't know that Schu would have come down as hard as he did.

It was pretty silly of her to dress like she did. It was akin to wearing the uniform of the rival team.

Yeah it was a very clear 'I refuse to do the assignment' statement which totally deserved a suspension. But Glee being Glee messed up the scene with a dumb throwaway gag.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

He didn't though, the seashell bra didn't have anything to do with it other than that was what she had previously planned to wear. I wouldn't even call it a technical difference. He didn't care what she wore as long as it was Gaga and related to the assignment. To say she was suspended for not wearing a revealing bra is obfuscating the issue and making him out to be creepier than he is. He doesn't need help in that department.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

just posted on the Glee facebook page, I'm just gonna leave this right here:

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Rarity posted:

Yeah it was a very clear 'I refuse to do the assignment' statement which totally deserved a suspension. But Glee being Glee messed up the scene with a dumb throwaway gag.

The suspension stuff is still pretty dumb, even as an "I refuse to do the assignment!" punishment and even if it's just 'suspended from Glee".

When I was in high school band, if someone deliberately hosed up in rehearsals or whatever or was generally being stupid, the various officers we had ordered you to do push-ups.

And besides all that, Will you're already down to like 9 members of your glee club! You don't suspend one of your better singers for a week just because she didn't want to do your dumb seat-of-your-pants assignment!

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Yes. :stare:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Glee's back to tuesdays.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Anthony's Song doesn't have nearly enough verses to last all the way from Ohio to New York.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

jscolon2.0 posted:

Anthony's Song doesn't have nearly enough verses to last all the way from Ohio to New York.

Here we have uncovered the true secret to how Lima/New York travel works in the Glee World; they use the power of music to teleport! :science:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I had a lot of problems with this episode but the main one by far is the message that the best thing to do with Downs syndrome people is to shove them all off into their own little pocket where they can be ignored by the rest of the world.

DapperDinosaur
May 27, 2012

This is what America's next drag super star does...

She works for a living.
I thought this episode was pretty boring. I just do not care about Marley, Jake or Blaine at all. I like Ryder a little bit but watching him and Marley together just puts me to sleep.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I liked a lot of stuff from that episode but to be honest, the things I didn't like about it clearly outweighed the things that I did. :geno: Sam and Rachel were the best parts. The rest of it felt like one shoehorn after another in the middle of one big shoehorn factory.

Rarity posted:

I had a lot of problems with this episode but the main one by far is the message that the best thing to do with Downs syndrome people is to shove them all off into their own little pocket where they can be ignored by the rest of the world.
That school is a real place, just fyi.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

You know, I'm...pretty sure Glee in its current ratings state isn't going to be much, if any, lead-in boost to New Girl/B99, Variety...

cyclical
Nov 26, 2005
No, not that one.

hangedman1984 posted:

just posted on the Glee facebook page, I'm just gonna leave this right here:

No, thanks.

This episode was mostly pretty boring. Too much Sam (although the Sam/Rachel teasing was cute, I thought it was way too soon for anything like that; she just had Finn's name tattooed on her hip last week, let the whole Rachel/love interest thing rest for a while, Glee), too much newbie love drama I didn't care about. Points for giving Kurt and Blaine an actual conversation about things, haven't had one of those in a while. Also points for giving Becky a college storyline. Other than that, eh. The puppet stuff for next week looks like a lot more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
I was sort of hoping that Blaine would ride out the NYU / Columbia / Anything But NYADA college avenue longer than three minutes. I liked that he wanted to do something else other than sing, but that was handwaved away immediately.

Also, Blaine's plaid jacket is terrible. But I love how the guy in the blue hoodie just gives no gently caress about two teenagers randomly singing on the bus.

• Locked thread