Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
You can leave it overnight for the initial rise, shape and form it then place it in the refrigerator for 4-6 hours before finally cooking it. If you go beyond 6 hours though you may over rise it. I'm not as familiar with proofing it in the fridge and if it needs to come back to room temperature before putting it in the oven. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

I'm trying to be a bit more fiscal and just sort of getting into breadmaking. My first job baking bread from scratch was trying a whole wheat no-knead recipe I saw. It came out with a crust as hard as stone. I'm pretty sure I messed up! What are some good recipes to start out with? I have wheat flour, all purpose flour, and some rolled oats.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Quantumfate posted:

I'm trying to be a bit more fiscal and just sort of getting into breadmaking. My first job baking bread from scratch was trying a whole wheat no-knead recipe I saw. It came out with a crust as hard as stone. I'm pretty sure I messed up! What are some good recipes to start out with? I have wheat flour, all purpose flour, and some rolled oats.

Buy bread flour, specifically King Arthur Flour's unbleached bread flour. It has more protein and therefore glutenin, which helps to form gluten (which is what makes bread rise). As far as following a recipe goes...accuracy is important. Do you have a kitchen scale? If not, get one - it's fine if it's accurate to 1g as long as it can be tared. If you are really really thrifty and have little equipment, like me, use sifted flour. That results in a consistent pack, so you have consistent loaves - and predictable loaves. Other than that, any basic bread recipe you'll find on the internet is fine. I particularly like the books and recipes by Peter Reinhart. I recommend giving "The Bread Baker's Apprentice" a try and baking a simple French loaf, like a boule or batard. They're really easy to handle and shape, and pretty difficult to gently caress up (if you underhydrate, you have a denser loaf, still wonderful for sandwiches, french toast, etc; if you overhydrate, well, you'll know and be able to fix it). Best of all, they require four ingredients: flour, water, yeast, and salt. The rest is time and poopvomit.

US Foreign Policy
Jan 5, 2006

Things to liberate:
You
Your shit

Romeo Charlie posted:

I can see the ends got dried up and developed a skin while it was proving. Keep an eye on that and try keep your dough hydrated before it goes into the oven. You lose some color and looks dull if the dough has a dry skin on it before it gets baked out.

This one is the exact same recipe as before, but I made an effort to keep it moist as well as put a cast iron skillet full of water in with the bread during the bake.

same idea on this one, but it also got a wash of eggwhites. It's not nearly as dark as the photo makes it look, and is about exactly what I want a crust to be. I also didnt cut the top until after it had been in the oven for a few minutes, but that was more forgetfulness than intentional

They are both slightly more dense than I'd prefer. Is that something I could address by switching to KA bread flour instead of all-purpose, or is there more to it than that?

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

US Foreign Policy posted:

This one is the exact same recipe as before, but I made an effort to keep it moist as well as put a cast iron skillet full of water in with the bread during the bake.

same idea on this one, but it also got a wash of eggwhites. It's not nearly as dark as the photo makes it look, and is about exactly what I want a crust to be. I also didnt cut the top until after it had been in the oven for a few minutes, but that was more forgetfulness than intentional

They are both slightly more dense than I'd prefer. Is that something I could address by switching to KA bread flour instead of all-purpose, or is there more to it than that?

You could add a bit more water to the recipe, higher hydration usually makes for a more airy loaf.

RC Bandit
Sep 7, 2012

Hanson: It's Time

Grimey Drawer

Spikes32 posted:

You can leave it overnight for the initial rise, shape and form it then place it in the refrigerator for 4-6 hours before finally cooking it. If you go beyond 6 hours though you may over rise it. I'm not as familiar with proofing it in the fridge and if it needs to come back to room temperature before putting it in the oven. Thoughts?
The technique you're describing is retarding the dough. What you're trying to do is to slow down the yeast reaction so you can deal with at a later date. As long as you give the dough time to come back to room temperature before you bake the dough off it should be fine. Be warned though, if you retard your dough at the later stage of the proofing process, make sure that it doesn't get bumped around as you probably won't have time to let it reproof before the yeast burns out of it.

Nice doughs.

Yes, you'll want to use bakers flour as that has the highest concentration of protein like SymmetryrtemmyS mentioned above. You will also want to add a little bit more water to your dough as stronger flour draws more water in than the weaker flours. Not too much, like 1% extra water to start off with.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

I would eat that bread. I could use some fresh baked bread, since I ran out of yeast and I don't think a starter will work in this wintertime climate (but by god I'll try).

It looks to me like you might be underhydrating your dough. How are you measuring it? The lack of oven spring also tells me that your yeast wants more protein, too. It's always tough baking with the wrong flour, and short of buying active gluten and incorporating that into your recipe, I'm not sure there's much you can do other than buying harder flour.

It might be possible to use a levain or other preferment to make a really yeasty bread that behaves better, but I'm not sure how the crumb would turn out.

Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

COME LITTLE BITCOIN.... COME MY WAY.....IN THE MID NIGHT HOUR... I YELL NO NO NO... WITH A REBEL YELL I YELL MORE MORE MORE.... BIT COIN... I WANT TO FUCK YOU
TL;DR- Do I need to let my dough proof longer? Do I need to let it proof longer before fridge, or after fridge? Halp, plz.

Full Metal Boxers posted:

One of the "no-knead" recipes I've seen here mentions leaving it covered overnight and then baking afterwards; another (the King Arthur one, I think?) mentions a two-hour rise followed by refrigeration for up to a week.

Can I mix up the dough around bedtime, leave it to rise overnight, and then refrigerate afterwards? Or does it need to be baked right away if I leave it out that long?

Spikes32 posted:

This is the recipe I'm referring to: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/no-knead-crusty-white-bread-recipe For clarification, I am measuring both my dry ingredients and my water with a kitchen scale for consistency.

"4) Cover the bowl or bucket, and let the dough rise at room temperature for 2 hours. Then refrigerate it for at least 2 hours, or for up to about 7 days. (If you're pressed for time, skip the room-temperature rise, and stick it right into the fridge). The longer you keep it in the fridge, the tangier it'll get; if you chill it for 7 days, it will taste like sourdough. Over the course of the first day or so, it'll rise, then fall. That's OK; that's what it's supposed to do."

Other no-knead recipes I've read (the OP's recipe in the original No-Knead thread, for example) instead mention simply letting the dough proof at room temperature overnight, and then baking afterwards. Based on the rather dense results I've been getting, some have mentioned I need to let it rise more. So I guess what I'm asking is, is it possible I need to let the dough warm up more between taking it out of the fridge and putting it in the oven? Or do I need to let it rise for longer before putting it in the fridge in the first place?

I'm also going to try switching the white flour in my white/wheat mix to King Arthur bread flour once I've used up the bag of King Arthur all-purpose flour I currently have. The two bags of flour I've been mixing and experimenting with - white and wheat, like the OP's basic recipe - were the first bags of flour I've ever bought for breadmaking and I wasn't really sure what to get, so I just kinda made an educated guess off of what I'd read in the OP. :ohdear:

Full Metal Boxers fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 12, 2013

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.
I'm definitely a bread flour convert after today. I got a bag for making pizza dough but used it for the bialys I made tonight. Their interiors were the soft/chewy almost bagel-like texture I've been trying to attain.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Mmm, I made this savory pumpkin bread: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/pumpkin-yeast-bread-recipe At first I was annoyed since it was not by weight, but I ended up using way less flour and making a fairly high hydration dough. Enough that it was not possible to shape it, so I just kind of poured it in my loaf pans for the second rise. It rose well though and made a nice hearty bread. Definitely need to make these again for Thanksgiving.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

Second attempt at bread just finished, tried a french boule recipe. We'll see how it tastes

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Post crumb pics when you open it up please, and remember not to crack it until it's warm. Room temperature is best, but -do not- cut into bread while it's still hot.

breakfall87
Apr 22, 2004
ABunch7587's little bitch
snake loooooaaaafff

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

Other no-knead recipes I've read (the OP's recipe in the original No-Knead thread, for example) instead mention simply letting the dough proof at room temperature overnight, and then baking afterwards. Based on the rather dense results I've been getting, some have mentioned I need to let it rise more. So I guess what I'm asking is, is it possible I need to let the dough warm up more between taking it out of the fridge and putting it in the oven? Or do I need to let it rise for longer before putting it in the fridge in the first place?
I've refrigerated the original no-knead recipe after an overnight rise many times, for as long as up to 5 days, with no ill effects. You still have to do that final rise though, and it may take longer than the two hours they list in the recipe since its starting cold, but it works just fine and does indeed add more flavor. Seven days would be the absolute limit to keep it refrigerated though, I did one that long once and it smelled funky when I took it out (like feet) but it still baked up fine. Gentle handling is indeed a must.

bacalou
Mar 21, 2013

Just moved to another state and no longer have access to a silicon baking mat. I have access to a pizza stone to bake bread, but have no experience with doing so. Usually I'd wipe my french bread down twice during baking with a wet kitchen towel and have a casserole dish under my pan with water, but I've heard that moisture and pizza stones don't get along. Should I just bake the bread on an uncovered half-sheet pan with additional corn meal on the bottom, or is there a better method using the stone I don't know about?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

bacalou posted:

Just moved to another state and no longer have access to a silicon baking mat. I have access to a pizza stone to bake bread, but have no experience with doing so. Usually I'd wipe my french bread down twice during baking with a wet kitchen towel and have a casserole dish under my pan with water, but I've heard that moisture and pizza stones don't get along. Should I just bake the bread on an uncovered half-sheet pan with additional corn meal on the bottom, or is there a better method using the stone I don't know about?

Bread dough isn't necessarily that much wetter than pizza dough, they can have similar levels of hydration. It would be perfectly okay to bake bread on the stone itself - the heat of the oven would evaporate any surface moisture on the stone and it's certainly not going to absorb a bunch of the water from the casserole dish and become sodden or anything. Just bake the bread as you normally would and if you're still worried, just leave the pizza stone out to dry for a day or so afterward to make sure it's bone-dry before your next use.

bacalou
Mar 21, 2013

My only worry is that any errant water drops that fall onto the stone will make it crack. As it's a loaner, I'd like to prevent that as much as possible.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Drops of water shouldn't crack a stone - they won't change the temperature anywhere near enough.

(I think...)

Marv Albert
May 15, 2003

bacalou posted:

You can use parchment paper under your baguettes. It will brown, but shouldn't combust and smoke at 450* on top of a stone. This is kind of overthinking things, though, as I can almost guarantee your stone won't crack from the thermal shock of a moist towel touching it.

I've had a 1" unglazed quarry stone on the bottom rack of my oven for years. Sometimes I've impulsively flinged water at it after it's spent quite a while at 500* just to see the sizzle.

bacalou
Mar 21, 2013

Okay, made a half of the dough on a sheet pan with generous dustings of cornmeal. Bad idea, they really do need a mat or parchment. The bottom burned onto the pan, but the top was pretty good. I'm afraid if I cook using the pizza stone the bottom will burn before the top is done. Any insight, temperature suggestions, or techniques for french bread using a pizza stone would be appreciated. If parchment is the way to go, just let me know and I'll splurge on a roll.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

bacalou posted:

Okay, made a half of the dough on a sheet pan with generous dustings of cornmeal. Bad idea, they really do need a mat or parchment. The bottom burned onto the pan, but the top was pretty good. I'm afraid if I cook using the pizza stone the bottom will burn before the top is done. Any insight, temperature suggestions, or techniques for french bread using a pizza stone would be appreciated. If parchment is the way to go, just let me know and I'll splurge on a roll.

You can get parchment at the dollar store pretty cheap.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
You can also get tile at the hardware store super cheap. You lose out on cool points but it works great.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Shbobdb posted:

You can also get tile at the hardware store super cheap. You lose out on cool points but it works great.

Getting unglazed tiles is a little hard nowadays, I haven't been able to find a Lowes or Home Depot that carries them.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Regarding baking stones here is what my cousin told me:

quote:

Ok, so here's my tip: cordierite kiln shelves! Relatively inexpensive compared to things marketed as baking stones, usually thicker and more durable, AND relatively inexpensive to have cut to a custom size. I got ours cut to the size of our oven with a one-inch margin for air flow -- the cutting-to-custom-size part cost $2. You just need to find a pottery supply place that sells cordierite shelves (and it has to be cordierite).

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Corderite sounds like an awesome idea. I have a buddy who works construction and I got my tiles from him, so they still exist. Sad to hear I can't grab them at a Hardware store.

Marv Albert
May 15, 2003

TenKindsOfCrazy posted:

You can get parchment at the dollar store pretty cheap.

This and it's useful for lots of things as well. Parchment is so much easier, more reliable and cleaner than loving around with cornmeal for when you want to slide a loaf or pizza onto a hot stone.

I got this big stone for under $4 at Orchard Supply (for anyone in California). I'd think non-big-box hardware stores or building supply stores if I was looking.

bacalou
Mar 21, 2013

I ended up baking the other half of the dough on cornmeal-dusted aluminum foil. It worked well enough, but I took the loaf out prematurely after seeing what happened to the last one. I'll whip up another batch tomorrow and grab some parchment and a spray bottle. I'm tired of wiping down hot bread with a wet kitchen towel.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
So I've been thinking about making my own bread but it seems like a lot of work and to be honest store bought and my friends home made don't really taste that different to me. My question to you guys is is my friend just bad at bread or am i missing something?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Your friend is bad. There is a very noticeable difference between store bought and freshly baked bread. In terms of work, it can be a lot of work. I'd argue that no-knead recipes aren't a lot of work so try it out and let us know what you think.

RC Bandit
Sep 7, 2012

Hanson: It's Time

Grimey Drawer

Doh004 posted:

Your friend is bad. There is a very noticeable difference between store bought and freshly baked bread. In terms of work, it can be a lot of work. I'd argue that no-knead recipes aren't a lot of work so try it out and let us know what you think.
In terms of a white bread loaf I would agree with him.

RC Bandit fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 16, 2013

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

(and can't post for 689 days!)

deadlypie posted:

So I've been thinking about making my own bread but it seems like a lot of work and to be honest store bought and my friends home made don't really taste that different to me. My question to you guys is is my friend just bad at bread or am i missing something?

I'm with you buddy. There is "no-knead" to make this style of bread when sliced Wonderbread is available at most stores.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Ahahah, bread snobs itt.

Actually, there's not much different between store bought bread and homemade bread - if you buy the nicer, "artisan" loaves and the bread is baked that day or the day before.

Compared to, say, sandwich bread, or those generic "French" and "Italian" loaves, there can be a world of difference.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Yeah, most storebought bread is tremendously different from homemade. A no-knead loaf can produce a super moist rustic loaf with super-open holes - the type of bread you pay $10 a loaf for. Give it a try; I'm a fan of Jim Lahey's recipe, and variations thereupon.

By the way, use bread flour. Spend the $4 for a 5' bag, and if you don't use most of it, oh well you just made a $10 loaf for $4. If you like the results, things get really cheap - you'll want to buy yeast in 2 lb blocks and freeze it (that brings the yeast cost of bread from ~$1 and change to a few cents per loaf, compared to buying packets) as well as 25 lb bags of bread flour. I recommend King Arthur Flour's unbleached bread flour, as well as their white whole wheat if you want to make whole wheat bread.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Yeah, most storebought bread is tremendously different from homemade. A no-knead loaf can produce a super moist rustic loaf with super-open holes - the type of bread you pay $10 a loaf for. Give it a try; I'm a fan of Jim Lahey's recipe, and variations thereupon.

By the way, use bread flour. Spend the $4 for a 5' bag, and if you don't use most of it, oh well you just made a $10 loaf for $4. If you like the results, things get really cheap - you'll want to buy yeast in 2 lb blocks and freeze it (that brings the yeast cost of bread from ~$1 and change to a few cents per loaf, compared to buying packets) as well as 25 lb bags of bread flour. I recommend King Arthur Flour's unbleached bread flour, as well as their white whole wheat if you want to make whole wheat bread.

how much space does all that stuff take? my apartment kitchen is kinda small.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
If you are buying the nicer breads at the store, the difference is pretty minimal except:

1) You will rarely get the super awesome, fresh-from-the-oven warm awesomeness

and

2) You will spend around $5 for something where the ingredients cost, at most, $0.50.

For me, bread is a poverty food. When I am tight on cash, that is when I eat bread. And, unsurprisingly, when I am tight on cash the difference between $5 and $0.50 is critical.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Shbobdb posted:

If you are buying the nicer breads at the store, the difference is pretty minimal except:

1) You will rarely get the super awesome, fresh-from-the-oven warm awesomeness

and

2) You will spend around $5 for something where the ingredients cost, at most, $0.50.

For me, bread is a poverty food. When I am tight on cash, that is when I eat bread. And, unsurprisingly, when I am tight on cash the difference between $5 and $0.50 is critical.

Yeah, this is the big difference.

I don't know where you live SymmetryrtemmyS but I've never seen half decent bread in a store cost a minimum of $10

bog pixie
Feb 23, 2013

Is there any way to duplicate the flavor of processed sliced breads? This sounds pretty stupid, but I like the spongy texture and the way they taste. Could something like that be made, or is it better to just keep buying it?

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Ectral posted:

Is there any way to duplicate the flavor of processed sliced breads? This sounds pretty stupid, but I like the spongy texture and the way they taste. Could something like that be made, or is it better to just keep buying it?

more salt, some butter, and sodium citrate. if you want the BAD parts of that flavor, drop in like 1/8tsp of alum per loaf.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Lemme see if I can get my ex's recipe. She made a mean "boring white bread sandwich" loaf. I'm pretty sure it had a fair amount of shortening and eggs. It was really wonderfully soft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strict Picnic
Feb 10, 2013

by Ralp

Ectral posted:

I have the same issue. The flavor of most home-made overwhelms the taste of the meat in sandwiches, imho. The subtlety of Wonderbread really allows the meat to sing. Plus, the even slice distribution adds the ever important aspect of symmetry to the sandwich. Does anyone have any tips for getting such perfectly sized slices off of their loaf?