Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Is anyone with an ATI 7xxx card getting good performance? No matter what I do the game has choppy lag like crazy. I've dropped LOD, view distance, whatever that 3rd slider is - turned off everything and dropped the res as low as 720p and the game still stutters like crazy in dogfights.

(I have a sandybridge i5 at 4ghz, an ATI 7950, 16gb of ram and a stupidly fast SSD/ramcache setup. Oh, and current drivers across the board.)

o muerte fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Nov 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

I have no idea how this "USE ROV DRONE TO HACK THING" mission is supposed to work, especially since any time I try to use the drone to fly close to the target the Skunk gets blown up because it's just sitting there.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Game crashed while saving. Guess I'm waiting for that to work out before I play again.

Everything else worked fine. The only hangup I had was trying to find a Trojan for sale somewhere, luckily it was just across the highway from the target station.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Heh, the save files are uncompressed xml files. NTFS compression saves you 66% of on disk space with no real downside.

Magnaflux
Jun 28, 2007
The game has cards now, so there's that.

I've played for a few hours so far and had a pretty decent time. The tutorial missions are obtuse and you have to do a lot of highway traveling, and that seems unnecessary for what should be a one sector type of deal, at least in my opinion.

I've run into the bug where the cockpit status / menu screen stops working after using the in-ship interface to enter, instead of using the return to ship menu system. The hosed up part about that bug is that it persists through a restart from a saved game. To fix it you actually have to dock and re-enter the ship via the menu system.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Sedisp posted:

With the Trojan ROV or the Skunk itself?

Where the gently caress did you get a Trojan ROV?
I have a Beholder ROV, is that good enough for this mission?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I found Trojans for sale in one of the stations across the highway from the one you are supposed to hack for that mission.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Dreadwroth posted:

Where the gently caress did you get a Trojan ROV?
I have a Beholder ROV, is that good enough for this mission?

Literally every Drone Trader I've gone to has one. :shrug:

quote:

I have no idea how this "USE ROV DRONE TO HACK THING" mission is supposed to work, especially since any time I try to use the drone to fly close to the target the Skunk gets blown up because it's just sitting there.

Park it a few kms away launch your drone and fly it there. Its got a massive range before disconnecting.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Sedisp posted:

Literally every Drone Trader I've gone to has one. :shrug:

Park it a few kms away launch your drone and fly it there. Its got a massive range before disconnecting.

I've attempted this multiple times and still the Skunk gets attacked while I'm droning. Wasn't sure if there was something else I should be trying or if it's just bad luck.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Capntastic posted:

I've attempted this multiple times and still the Skunk gets attacked while I'm droning. Wasn't sure if there was something else I should be trying or if it's just bad luck.

You can try parking it under an over hang in one of the neighboring stations. Usually provides enough cover that the AI can't actually get to you. At least that's what I did, but that had everything to do with me being a huge immersion nerd. :spergin:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
So the modding in this seems easy as poo poo http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=347831.

Looks really easy to flesh out the highway system / add new sectors etc., basically everything in the game is just flat .xml files??? Reminds me of STALKER.

Was watching some guys 3 hour gameplay video for mayb 30-40 minutes and despite all the bad press here, I'm still debating on buying it :ohdear: Saw a couple bugs (including the 100 energy cell thing), but honestly doesn't seem to terrible, he was able to continue past all of them one way or another.

Clearly I'll have to play it, but the menu system still seems at worst, as bad as the one in X3. Maybe I'm missing some subtleties.

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Nov 16, 2013

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Mr. Crow posted:

Clearly I'll have to play it, but the menu system still seems at worst, as bad as the one in X3. Maybe I'm missing some subtleties.

Worse. It is far worse. As someone who just played X3AB, sweet jesus do not buy this game for another few months. If it doesn't get better, just hold out for the next XR:SellingModAssets expansion.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Sedisp posted:

With the Trojan ROV or the Skunk itself?

With the drone of cause, if you could do it with the skunk it would defeat the purpose of the hacking drones

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mr. Crow posted:

So the modding in this seems easy as poo poo http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=347831.

Looks really easy to flesh out the highway system / add new sectors etc., basically everything in the game is just flat .xml files??? Reminds me of STALKER.

One flat xml file, your savegame. it's the entire universe state in one 25Mb chunk.

The other xml files appear to be settings, but nothing sexy tucked away.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
What the hell, this patch fixed literally all of my fps problems.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Mr. Crow posted:

Was watching some guys 3 hour gameplay video for mayb 30-40 minutes and despite all the bad press here, I'm still debating on buying it :ohdear: Saw a couple bugs (including the 100 energy cell thing), but honestly doesn't seem to terrible, he was able to continue past all of them one way or another.

Awesome. I might do a live stream tomorrow, once I've got everything set up, and we can do some live modding requests.

Maybe see how easy it is and do a goonsector.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I would like to personally punch whoever decided missions where you had to hack stuff while your ship won't even tell you if you are being attacked until you are almost in hull was a good idea.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

cheesetriangles posted:

I would like to personally punch whoever decided missions where you had to hack stuff while your ship won't even tell you if you are being attacked until you are almost in hull was a good idea.

The same guy who decided not to tell you that one of your ships is being attacked... ever. They just silently vanish off the list. :iiam:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I would like to accuse them of trying to make a lovely game on purpose but I cannot possibly think of what benefit it would have.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I can't wait for either Egosoft to back off of this "100% immersion even if it leads to lovely gameplay" stance or for modders to fix most of this stuff, because right now this game reminds me of an X3 mod that some super sperg made because he thought jump drives were cheating and comms shouldn't work out past 50 feet. I have faith that the game will get way better with time, but right now there are just too many things that are simply annoying me. Having to constantly dock and run around the stations would have gotten incredibly tedious even if they were well designed or were ripped straight from a Mass Effect game. With them just being empty, lovely hallways most of the time the tedium and boredom is there from the very get-go. I mean, props to Egosoft for trying something new I guess, but it just seems like such a pointless waste of the player's time. Hopefully in time they'll release more content to actually fill those hallways with interesting things rather than just making the player waste time on a lovely 'Where's Waldo?' game whenever he needs to do anything.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

So, first impressions:

- Controller-optimized radial menu is actually worse than the menus from X3:TC / AP.
- I thought the station thing was a bad idea the second I first saw it in a video. Guess what?
- I hope it will eventually be possible to scan stations (semi-)automatically. Even the first time, it's only mildly interesting.
- I actually like the highway system, even if the drafting minigame is kinda dumb.

And two questions:

- Is it possible to set a fixed speed for your ship instead of constantly having to accelerate? Holding down LT all the freaking time gets old fast.
- When buying / selling stuff, how do I quickly select the number I have in mind? In TC / AP, I just type in $number, press right/left arrow, done. This doesn't seem to work in Rebirth.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I was there for the launch versions of X2 and X3 so I should have expected this really. I'll check back in a couple months once this is at version 1.4 or something. Also this new interface is both more steamlined and completely god awful.

Those ground textures need to be taken somewhere and shot too.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Just spent 20 minutes looking for a Defence Officer that I need for one of the first campaign missions. Finally found one, tracked her down after another 10 mins of running around because she was in a corner of a small room that I ran by initially, and now I don't get the option to hire her. Just 'Show me your skills' and 'Where is...'. I'm +1 with the PMC but have 0 feedback as to why I apparently can't hire her.

Anyone?

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

VDay posted:

Just spent 20 minutes looking for a Defence Officer that I need for one of the first campaign missions. Finally found one, tracked her down after another 10 mins of running around because she was in a corner of a small room that I ran by initially, and now I don't get the option to hire her. Just 'Show me your skills' and 'Where is...'. I'm +1 with the PMC but have 0 feedback as to why I apparently can't hire her.

Anyone?

sounds like a bug, you may have to restart.

Speaking of recruitment, Getting 8 marines is expensive, and missions don't appear to give that much. Most rewarding mission I have seen was taking down the cartel mother ship for only 50,000 credits. and this is a fully fitted carrier with fighters and what seems like drones

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

beer_war posted:

- Is it possible to set a fixed speed for your ship instead of constantly having to accelerate? Holding down LT all the freaking time gets old fast.

Sooo...I found if you pilot using mouse and keyboard the mouse scroll-wheel sets and keeps the velocity. However, I can't figure out how to "boost" while in mouse/keyboard mode. Presently I'm switching between 360 controller (for flying in space/combat) and the keyboard/mouse (for the utterly pointless station excursions.) I'm trying to be patient with this game and learn its quirks, because it feels like there is an awesome sim with a lot of depth beneath all the garish makeup and poor design decisions. I wish the station portions didn't feel so pointless. I dread having to dock with anything and walk through the same boring prefabricated dollhouses looking for my next ornery employee...

On that note:
-- Is it possible to assign crew to a ship without docking with the stupid ship?
-- What crew does a ship actually need? I got a captain and a defense officer for my freight hauler on the recommendation of the tutorial, but have no idea what the officer actually does.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Bruxism posted:

Sooo...I found if you pilot using mouse and keyboard the mouse scroll-wheel sets and keeps the velocity. However, I can't figure out how to "boost" while in mouse/keyboard mode. Presently I'm switching between 360 controller (for flying in space/combat) and the keyboard/mouse (for the utterly pointless station excursions.) I'm trying to be patient with this game and learn its quirks, because it feels like there is an awesome sim with a lot of depth beneath all the garish makeup and poor design decisions. I wish the station portions didn't feel so pointless. I dread having to dock with anything and walk through the same boring prefabricated dollhouses looking for my next ornery employee...

On that note:
-- Is it possible to assign crew to a ship without docking with the stupid ship?
-- What crew does a ship actually need? I got a captain and a defense officer for my freight hauler on the recommendation of the tutorial, but have no idea what the officer actually does.

TAB is boost.

No you can't assign crew unless you're docked.

Capitan, Defence, engineer. I think thats all there is you need. The defense officer is helpful in combat though for mitigating damage.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well, back to Albion Prelude I guess.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
How do you find out people's skill levels? I hired a manager to see what she does but all her skills are still '?' to me.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
There are serious performance issues with X Rebirth...

I'd like to think that I have a fairly medium to high-end system and I am barely getting above 30fps on low settings which is apparently amazing for this game.

i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz
gtx 580 OCed
12gigs of ram

Fix your poo poo Egosoft, I don't even want to start on some of the bugs I've already encountered.

I was at one point, tragically locked inside my own spaceship without access to the bridge... It Was Terrible. gently caress.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

VDay posted:

How do you find out people's skill levels? I hired a manager to see what she does but all her skills are still '?' to me.

You only get to see them if someone recommended that guy to you after being impressed by smalltalk

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Alright I'm gonna try this game out.

Is there any reason to start the campaign versus just doing the freemode? I'm probably going to just cheat myself a half billion spacebux and go blow poo poo up.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

So I woke up this morning and thought I'd give it another whirl. I still can't buy or sell energy cells.

The freighter NEEDS to be in your squad so that you can actually give it a buy order. It still doesn't do anything other than follow you.

poo poo is hosed.

edit: loving hell I've played 4 hours of this game and I've achieved absolutely nothing.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
I have a pretty nice MSI laptop. AMD A-10 series quad core, 8 gig of ram, Radeon 8970M, and everything set to low, AND reduced resolution, and I still get 15-20 FPS. Guess I'll wait and see if any performance patches help me out.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Even if it is patched for performance there are still massive glaring issues with the way the menus and trading operates as far as I can see.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

BastardySkull posted:

So I woke up this morning and thought I'd give it another whirl. I still can't buy or sell energy cells.

The freighter NEEDS to be in your squad so that you can actually give it a buy order. It still doesn't do anything other than follow you.

poo poo is hosed.

edit: loving hell I've played 4 hours of this game and I've achieved absolutely nothing.
Well, not really. You've realised the game is buggy as gently caress and un-optimized as poo poo and needs to be seriously modded and patched to be playable.

Just like the previous X games! Although I was spared Terran Conflict on launch.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

BastardySkull posted:

Some might say this is true of all video games.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Pyromancer posted:

You only get to see them if someone recommended that guy to you after being impressed by smalltalk

So I'll never know my manager's stats now? That can't be right. Can I at least go pay someone to show me my staff's stats or something? Or is the only solution really to run around a station talking to absolutely everyone just to see people's stats?

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

VDay posted:

So I'll never know my manager's stats now? That can't be right. Can I at least go pay someone to show me my staff's stats or something? Or is the only solution really to run around a station talking to absolutely everyone just to see people's stats?

If you hear someone say a dumb, canned line, that's a hint that you can engage in smalltalk. Haven't found any other way of getting hireling stats, though.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

Pochoclo posted:

Also, it has been SIX HOURS of gameplay and I still cannot find a loving shipyard. In X3, you spawned 30 seconds from one.

Get used to hailing NPC ships and asking where stuff is. It's kind of annoying, but it wont take more than a couple minutes to give you a waypoint for the nearest shipyard.

I've got to the point that I do this whenever I'm trying to find anything in this game. It's awkward, but far quicker than flying around randomly and searching.

NuclearWinterUK fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Nov 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Not now, Betty!

• Locked thread