Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm not gonna lie: between the inclusion of Paradise Lost and the Divine Comedy and the page image being the Achewood strip about Nice Pete's Bible fanfiction, The Bible fanfic recs page may be the least terrible TVT fanfic recs page I've seen yet. And no mpreg!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

Antivehicular posted:

And no mpreg!

Yet.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Antivehicular posted:

I'm not gonna lie: between the inclusion of Paradise Lost and the Divine Comedy and the page image being the Achewood strip about Nice Pete's Bible fanfiction, The Bible fanfic recs page may be the least terrible TVT fanfic recs page I've seen yet. And no mpreg!

If TVtropes was a more self aware site, I'd call that page a joke.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Fuego Fish posted:

Oh, well, that's somehow even stupider. At least magic phasing bullets, while a severely terrible idea, would be interesting as a kind of secret assassin's tool. But turning gunfights into steampunk paintball matches? That's just kind of sad.

Well, we already know what these shootouts would be like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H84NXehLjSE

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Looking at the Problem With Poetry PDF. Was very happy to discover the troper produced music linked there.

http://blixtyslycat.bandcamp.com/track/theydidnotknow

This is a fantastic theme for TVTropes. A bunch of totally disparate elements, executed poorly, smashed together with no concern for the outcome. Twice he introduces "tension" by making a thing happen faster, then drops it without any resolution or climax.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dr Pepper posted:

If TVtropes was a more self aware site, I'd call that page a joke.

I think it was written when they still allowed jokes and the crazy hugboxers haven't gotten to it yet.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I think it was written when they still allowed jokes and the crazy hugboxers haven't gotten to it yet.

Nonsense, they still allow jokes! Haven't you seen those horrifically unfunny Waldorf and Statler imitations at the bottoms of some pages? :v:

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

They actually dedicated an entire loving article to something in an FPS being unrealistic.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OneBulletClips

quote:

One thing that videogames have come to acknowledge is that if you have three hundred rounds for your pistol, you can't just shoot it three hundred times without a break, since most weapons aren't belt-fed. Today, almost all games with firearms require a reload period while an animation shows the player character removing the previous magazine and inserting a new one. So now it's totally realistic, right? Um, well...

...Try just shooting one round in a videogame, then reloading. The animation will show your character removing a magazine from the gun, often dropping it or even throwing it away in the process, and loading a new one. But the number of rounds you have available for reloading will go down by just one. Moreover, even if the magazine is retained during the reload animation, you'll never load a magazine and find it's that same one with one cartridge missing; instead, your remaining ammunition is treated as if you're carrying it in the form of single-round stripper clips that are invisibly consolidated into as many full magazines as possible, with ammo from discarded mags magically returning to your stock. It's almost like the FPS Elves take a break from sweeping up spent brass and plastering over bullet holes to climb into your webbing and sort your ammo out for you.

:spergin: Guys did you know that reloading doesn't work like in FPSes? It's true! See, you can't just throw away the mag unless it's completely empty, you have to eject the spent rounds and it's even worse with revolvers because they don't bother to show the rounds being chambered and...

Leave it to TVTropes to bitch about modern war shooters having unrealistic reloading, instead of actual serious issues like kneejerk wanking over imperialistic American foreign policy.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Firefly is nerdbait of the highest order. A fairly good sci-fi show that was cut short, it has been elevated into the pantheon of nerdom because of:

1) Joss Whedon
2) Its cult status (nerds love obscure poo poo)
3) Nerd-pandering archetypical characters, relating to
4) Joss Whedon

Let's see what TVTropes has to say about it!

We make a lot of how the troper use of tropes are ultimately reductive, pigeonholing context-critical writing into contextless boxes. But we take a look at the character descriptions, and they do a surprisingly good job of fitting into character tropes.

Now, we can get a little chicken-and-eggy here, and argue whether Joss Whedon character type or Joss Whedon fansite character trope came first. Still, being able to accurately boil down characters and their motivations to a series of short descriptors says something about the depth of the characters.

The acting in the show is good, but one of my biggest complaints of the show was that the characters themselves were kind of static. Despite the cast having good chemistry, and a plot that would have forced most characters to develop, they just...didn't (for the most part).

quote:

Awesome Anachronistic Apparel: It is a space western... with T-Shirts, corporate logos, the occasional mongol raider-style hat and space hookers. Of course everyone looks awesome!

Yep, character designs weren't chosen to help define characters and their histories, it was just chosen to exude cool. It's an example of the nerd relation with signifiers - a person doesn't make a signifier cool, a person is inherently cool because they wear the signifier.

quote:

Cool Gun: It's a Space Western. There are dozens of 'em.

Special mentions: Mal's gun, which he describes in the comic Better Days as one of the only two things that have stuck with him since the war. The other would be Zoe. The gun is styled after 19th century revolvers, bearing the most resemblance those from Remington, but is an autoloader with the magazinein front of the trigger, much like a Mauser C96.

Zoe carries a "Mare's Leg" —a lever-action rifle with a sawed-off barrel and stock —identical to that used by Steve McQueen in Wanted: Dead or Alive.

Jayne carries a Le Mat revolver —9-shots of .42 caliber plus one of 16 gauge buckshot —which appears to have an accessory rail mounted above the barrel. He fires it ONCE onscreen. His FAVORITE gun is a Callahan Full-Bore Auto-Lock with a customized trigger and double cartridge thorough gauge which he named ''Vera''. It's based on the real-world Saiga assault shotgun.

In "Objects in Space" River picks up a desert eagle. How she got her hands on it, no-one knows.

Several background characters are seen with British Webley or Enfield revolvers. Also seen are an M1 Carbine, several H&K prototypes, almost every bullpup rifle in use by a European military today... ...you get the idea.

Weird, I thought I was on a site designed to help users know how fiction worked.

quote:

Covert Pervert: Both Kaylee and River like to watch. River even participates, after a fashion. At the end of the movie, she DOES watch... Kaylee and her brother, which spawned at least two fanfics.

I'm not sure if this sentence says more about Whedon or tropers.

quote:

Father, I Want to Marry My Brother: In a deleted scene for "Our Mrs. Reynolds", River tries to convince Shepherd Book to marry her and Simon.

Oh. No wonder tropers like Whedon so much.

quote:

Filk Song: Mal's Song ,by Michelle Dockrey, incorporates the series theme song as the chorus.

What does this even have to do with the show?

I notice that "Chekhov's Gun", "Continuity Nod" and "Foreshadowing" are separate tropes, but use the same example.

quote:

Genre Savvy: Abso-gorram-lutely everyone.
Wash: Psychic, though? That sounds like something out of science fiction.
Zoe: We livein a spaceship, dear.
Wash: So?

This is another thing that bugs me about the show (and Whedon's work in general). It's not just genre savvy, it's so self-aware. For tropers, that passes as wit, for everyone else, it's just annoying.

quote:

Like Brother and Sister: ...Mal repeatedly acts the part of an older brother to Kaylee, particularly apparent in "Shindig". In the movie, he invokes Brain Bleach when Kaylee mentions having to rely on batteries for a year, in the movie. Though, to be fair, almost everyone treats Kaylee like a little sister, but it's usually more Mal and, to an extent, Inara.
Mal: Oh GOD, I can't know that! Jayne: I could stand to hear more.

I'm not sure I like the framing of this in the context of the whole River/Simon thing.

quote:

Playing With A Trope

No explanation given, just that doing stuff with tropes is a trope. Oh TVTropes, you're sooooo meta :allears:

quote:

Quote Overdosed: It is very quotable. You can not stop with just one.

Being quotable is also a trope. No wonder tropers are so focused on writing badass lines, it's a trope!

quote:

Uptight Loves Wild: Simon and Kaylee. Inara and Mal are a milder example.

Just sayin' but I think this is backwards???

Weird, looks like they managed to get through Firefly without really getting hung up on rape (4-5 brief, unremarkable mentions) or poop (1 mention). They are kind of awkward with Kaylee and her strawberries, though. Then again, it could be because the trope page was just so loving LONG that my eyes glossed over it. Seriously, it took nearly 45 minutes to read the drat thing.

I'll leave the Fanfic Recs, Haiku, and other associated fluff pages for later.

Venusian Weasel fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Nov 16, 2013

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I've got a new and original setting for you guys.

quote:

I've been thinking about writing a story set in a Wizarding School. Here's what I have so far:

Its a One Gender School (all female)
The school sport is a version of lacrosse played on winged horses
There are 6 school houses Diamond House represented by silver, Emerald House represented by green, Ruby House represented by red, Sapphire House represented by blue, Coral House represented by pink and Amethyst House represented by purple
All students must take an entrance test to determine their skill, and they are sorted into the house which represents their skill
All students wear a uniformed color coded to their house
You cant be a mage unless you are born with a gift a mystic power that gives you the ability to use magic
The subjects are: Astronomy, Alchemy, Potions, Flying, Fortune Telling, Foreign Language, Spell Casting, P.E, Origins of Magic, Music, Art, Home Economics, Magical Botany, Magical Animal Care, Healing, Maths, Shapeshifting (I may change some of this, if I can figure out what should be changed)

I really want to meet the person who goes to magic school and just takes Home Ec classes. Now, you may have noticed some slight resemblance to Harry Potter! But don't worry, because this is "Wizarding School -- NOT a Harry Potter ripoff", so all is well.

quote:

"all girls school".. so lacrosse and horses makes sense, but to me "magic sports" sounds pretty Harry Potter. how about a magic glee club or something?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

What was the name of that troper RPG setting? Our World or something like that? I've been trying to find it, since its a rich vein of awful.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

When I try to write my stories sometimes I get super self-conscious about things like "what if tropers read this attempt at commercial genre fiction and get all creepy spergrape over it?"

Then I console myself that I'll always be under anybody's radar and I'm not important enough to gently caress with and why would they bother.

Then I see them getting creepy stalker over people who make anime review videos and I realize that nothing is too small for these fuckers to sperg over.

I shouldn't let it bug me so much, but the average folk who wanders onto TvTropes might think it's just kind of a cute clever way of categorizing fiction. It gives this image of general affability and media savvy when really it's like an autism fueled homunculus formed of the dumpster babies of post modern thought and it seeks to do nothing more than suck all of the creativity out of art and media. It's like creating a museum of body parts with no concept of how they fit together to form a human being.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Robotnik Nudes posted:

When I try to write my stories sometimes I get super self-conscious about things like "what if tropers read this attempt at commercial genre fiction and get all creepy spergrape over it?"

Then I console myself that I'll always be under anybody's radar and I'm not important enough to gently caress with and why would they bother.

Then I see them getting creepy stalker over people who make anime review videos and I realize that nothing is too small for these fuckers to sperg over.

I shouldn't let it bug me so much, but the average folk who wanders onto TvTropes might think it's just kind of a cute clever way of categorizing fiction. It gives this image of general affability and media savvy when really it's like an autism fueled homunculus formed of the dumpster babies of post modern thought and it seeks to do nothing more than suck all of the creativity out of art and media. It's like creating a museum of body parts with no concept of how they fit together to form a human being.

Well, all you have to do is talk about how Tropers aren't good writers and they'll give you exactly what you want.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
I've been watching Breaking Bad lately, so I thought I'd give a look and see what tropers think of a show about how a guy's obsession with appearing manly and badass drives him to do progressively more monstrous things and wreaks havoc on the life of everybody around him.

They think it's about a BadAss :allears:

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

What do tropers not really understand?

Sports!

Favorite lines from your own writing posted:

Do you play? Christina said.

[Sean:] Occasionally. What about you two?

Becky and Christina both laughed.

Yeah, Becky said, still giggling, I love embarrassing myself by trying to throw a big orange ball into a circular thing on top of a pole.

Its called a hoop, Sean said.

Ever notice how much stupider sports sound when you describe them for what they really are? Christina said. Who was the guy that thought, you know what, I want to throw balls at people and see if they can whack them and be rewarded with a jog around a diamond while trying to avoid being tagged by the people already standing around the diamond after they catch the ball that I threw at the other guy?"

Women!

Favorite lines from your own writing posted:

[Sean:] I dont seem to recall anybody getting a million-dollar contract just to watch birds.

[Christina:] And getting paid a million dollars to throw a big orange ball into a hoop isnt crazy? For Christs sake, its only a game!

If thats how you feel about sports, why on Earth did you ever become a cheerleader?

School spirit, a chance to make friends with bitches, and a sexy outfit that attracted the boys.
Sports and women together are, of course, twice as baffling.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
That line about baseball is absolutely rich, given the wealth of beautifully written nonfiction describing the game. Hell, even Star Trek can describe it in a poignant way. Guess you still can't expect tropers to have either writing skill or empathetic capabilities or the ability to move past 10th grade.

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

Nothing makes a character more relatable and likable than seeing them encourage someone to discuss their hobbies, and then proceeding to mock and belittle those hobbies.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
But... sport is SUPPOSED to be trivial when taken in a vacuum. That's the point isn't it? Taking a trivial, arbitrary pursuit with meaningless rules and imbuing it with the power of the human spirit and the joy of a shared experience. You can't do that with something that has it's own external importance.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Also, most things sound stupid when you deliberately try to describe them in the most obtuse way possible.

"Writing? You mean scratching out scribbly lines with graphite on a piece of tree flesh? Yeah, sounds fun." :smug:

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
My opinions on sports is pretty much the same as any given out-of-shape nerd who wasn't well liked by the jocky-jocks, but that quote is more than enough to make me into a die-hard fan if it means distancing myself from that guy. I can only hope that he thinks tabletop games are a height of human interaction with a rich, storied past just to make the cognitive dissidence complete.

Finisher1 posted:

Did you mean to say dissonance or was that intentional? Because either way, I like this version better.

It was intentional. I totally didn't just pick the first word I saw when I did spell checking.

MizPiz fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 16, 2013

Finisher1
Feb 21, 2008

MizPiz posted:

cognitive dissidence

Did you mean to say dissonance or was that intentional? Because either way, I like this version better.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Maybe a bit of cognitive diffidence would've helped.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Fast Eddy and the Cognitive Dissidents, playing at an Anime Con near you.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Bongo Bill posted:

Maybe a bit of cognitive diffidence would've helped.
Defiantly. :v:

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Thinky Whale posted:

I've been watching Breaking Bad lately, so I thought I'd give a look and see what tropers think of a show about how a guy's obsession with appearing manly and badass drives him to do progressively more monstrous things and wreaks havoc on the life of everybody around him.

They think it's about a BadAss :allears:

To be fair, that interpretation of Breaking Bad isn't remotely limited to tropers. A lot of other idiots think it's supposed to be a story about the great Heisenberg owning all his enemies, even though the show pretty much tells you outright that's not what it is on multiple occasions.

I mean, it still doesn't excuse tropers from missing the point, especially since they view themselves as so much more media savvy than the hoi polloi.

Chexoid posted:

Also, most things sound stupid when you deliberately try to describe them in the most obtuse way possible.

"Writing? You mean scratching out scribbly lines with graphite on a piece of tree flesh? Yeah, sounds fun." :smug:

"Acting? Isn't that just grown-rear end adults putting on make-up and costumes, reading stuff other people wrote and playing pretend? How childish :smugdog:"

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
"Video games? Isn't that just pressing buttons to make pixels on a screen change color in a way that resembles movement?"

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
"Sex? Isn't that just rubbing genitals together?"

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
"TV Tropes? Isn't that a bunch of socially awkward people obsessed with rape and Joss Whedon?"

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Keromaru5 posted:

"Video games? Isn't that just pressing buttons to make pixels on a screen change color in a way that resembles movement?"

They made a game about that.

Surprisingly, that game's page isn't :tvtropes: terrible, just kind of shittily laid out between the source mod, the demo, and the HD remake.

The Wild Mass Guessing (i.e. retarded fan theory) page does have this gem:

quote:

The Stanley Parable 1/2

Takes place in the Aperture Science complex but in a different set of test chambers.

quote:

Assumeing 1 is true then The narrator is actuly 2/2

Gla Dos using a voice change program of something. quite possibly before she gassed the entire complex thus starting Portal 1

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

I mean, it still doesn't excuse tropers from missing the point, especially since they view themselves as so much more media savvy than the hoi polloi.

I'm fascinated because it's such a distillation of everything wrong with the troper approach, since the whole thing that makes the show so good is subtlety and the conflict between how people want to appear and how they are. Because with tropers, everything is surface value. The fact that there might be more to what a character says than the most obvious meaning is not even on the radar. It's a total rejection of what literary devices are. Though even they get it here and there, there's a few places that are just mind-boggling in the scale of how can you not understand how fiction works.

My favorite is their take on that "I am the one who knocks" speech, the one that gets literally contradicted by events right before and right after, the one that shows you how far gone Walt is and the huge gap between his perception of himself and reality. TVTropes calls it a:

quote:

Badass Boast

\/\/\/ I didn't see that. That makes me feel a little bit better about the world :unsmith:

Thinky Whale fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 17, 2013

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
To be fair, on the actual Badass Boast page, they say

quote:

The one quoted below is actually a subversion that shows how deep in denial he is in season four - he insists to Skyler that he has everything under control, when Gus has him exactly where he wants him.

Still, you can hardly expect tropers to read their own drat site and agree on what a trope is or how it applies to one thing or another.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Yo I haven't read this thread since page 25 so if anyone's said anything for me to look at I've missed it, but I did find a classic image on my PC the other day.

Never gets old.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
We have always been at war with Something Awful.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Namtab posted:

Yo I haven't read this thread since page 25 so if anyone's said anything for me to look at I've missed it, but I did find a classic image on my PC the other day.

Never gets old.

What article was this for?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Penny Paper posted:

What article was this for?
A worthless Benedict Arnold called TripleElation, after they defected to The Great Satan.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

quote:

The description of Camp Gay makes it pretty clear it's just for fabulous, over-the-top queens; meanwhile, Straight Gay seems to be that you wouldn't think they were other than heterosexual unless they brought it up or kissed a same-sex person. Where does that leave character who may be a little effeminate, but not campy, whom you would probably know were gay and doesn't mind being obvious about it?
Is "Straight Gay plus In Touch with His Feminine Side" a thing? It seems awkward and almost contradictory.

It's like they literally cannot conceive of a person whose personality exists beyond the context of a set of plug-and-play modules.

Namtab posted:

Yo I haven't read this thread since page 25

Start here and run for the endzone.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Thinky Whale posted:

I'm fascinated because it's such a distillation of everything wrong with the troper approach, since the whole thing that makes the show so good is subtlety and the conflict between how people want to appear and how they are. Because with tropers, everything is surface value. The fact that there might be more to what a character says than the most obvious meaning is not even on the radar. It's a total rejection of what literary devices are. Though even they get it here and there, there's a few places that are just mind-boggling in the scale of how can you not understand how fiction works.

My favorite is their take on that "I am the one who knocks" speech, the one that gets literally contradicted by events right before and right after, the one that shows you how far gone Walt is and the huge gap between his perception of himself and reality. TVTropes calls it a:

\/\/\/ I didn't see that. That makes me feel a little bit better about the world :unsmith:

Is it any coincidence that Walt wears a stupid hat to make himself look more badass and manly? No wonder Tropers love him so much.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Djeser posted:

What do tropers not really understand?

Sports!

Women!

Sports and women together are, of course, twice as baffling.

Besides the terrible content of the text itself, you have to wonder why these are the troper's "favourite lines" - because they're poo poo. They're not snappy or witty in any way, especially since the first one has a solid paragraph of "boo sports" that has all the grace of a technical manual. Although honestly that's doing a disservice to technical manuals.

Considering what a dense turd of over-dialogued prose those quotes are, I'd think that it's just their "favourite lines" because they get to be a smug prick about sports because heh sports

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I think it honestly comes down to tropers trying too hard to make their stuff come off as witty or memorable, it's a common mistake for inexperienced writers, as is having your characters just plain never shut up. Or maybe I'm giving them too much credit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I browsed through their entries for Big Lipped Alligator Moments, basically moments in media that seem to have nothing to do with anything else in said media. It's a thing that arguably happens. But a lot of the time it's clear that Tropers have no idea what themes are and how you might reinforce them by putting in moments that reinforce them without advancing the main story:

quote:

The Dancing Fire Gang from Labyrinth, though there is a very small reference to them earlier in the film and another in the finale. They still make no major impact on the plot. There's also a scene involving an old man arguing with his talking hat. Both instances feature the main character simply stumbling into some unhelpful creatures and then leaving.

(The scene goes on for a bit but it's Thematic Reinforcement 101.)

quote:

In the 2005 remake of King Kong, we are treated to a monologue by Captain Hayes, who compares the events of the film (somewhat breaking the Fourth Wall) to Heart of Darkness. Neither the book nor its similarities to the film are ever mentioned again.

quote:

Armageddon has a scene where Ben Affleck sings "Leaving on a Jet Plane" to his girlfriend only for some of his co-workers to join in. This scene only lasts for a few seconds and then they never mention it again.

He is literally leaving.

quote:

In Star Trek: Generations Data, who, until this film, was completely emotionless, randomly starts singing and using his console as a musical instrument while scanning for life forms. Everyone there stops and stares at him then goes back to whatever they were doing, (Riker seems to be thinking 'WTF?' the whole time). In true fashion, no one says anything afterwards. There's also the 'Mr Tricorder' scene where he starts mimicking Picard with a Tricorder and seriously weirding Geordi out.

Well, the point is supposed to be that Data, who's just had an emotion chip installed, is being overwhelmed by the unfamiliar emotions and behaving slightly erratically. Although his ways of expressing it are slightly random.

"This has an explanation but I want to add something to the list."

quote:

Mulholland Drive has a lesbian sex sequence that comes out of nowhere and goes nowhere.

THE ROMANCE IS CENTRAL TO THE FILM YOU MORONS

quote:

The part in the American film version of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy where flyswatters come out of the sand to smack the protagonists. Though since this is the Vogons' home planet and the flyswatters hit you whenever you have an idea, it does nicely explain the Vogons' personalities of refusing to ever take any initiative without a ton of paperwork.

The movie literally explains what these things are but it still makes no sense to you, humble Troper.

• Locked thread