Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

This can't be real, right? You actually just put like $400 of specialty tools in a cardboard box and wrote "12.50" on it with a Sharpie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pageerror404
Feb 14, 2012

I finally killed them.

at the date posted:

This can't be real, right? You actually just put like $400 of specialty tools in a cardboard box and wrote "12.50" on it with a Sharpie.

It's real, just very lucky.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

pageerror404 posted:

Unknown tool bit?

I'm pretty sure that's a counter-bore. I don't think that's the whole tool though, there is usually a pilot that goes through the hollow center to keep it centered and is held in place by a nut on the back side.

That's a hell of a score, I'd keep what you want and put the rest on ebay, machinist tools don't really lose value.

TheFargate
Oct 6, 2007
Those starett depth gauges are $200+ new. They make fantastic measuring equipment. You made off with quite a haul

Daggerpants
Aug 31, 2004

I am Kara Zor-El, the last daughter of Krypton
Been on the lookout for a router/table combo on craigslist and found this:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/tls/4164819008.html

I know Jessem makes some high end stuff, but they haven't made this particular table in a while. Worth it or no?

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

tonedef131 posted:

I'm pretty sure that's a counter-bore. I don't think that's the whole tool though, there is usually a pilot that goes through the hollow center to keep it centered and is held in place by a nut on the back side.

That's a hell of a score, I'd keep what you want and put the rest on ebay, machinist tools don't really lose value.

It's straight-fluted router bit. Good for cutting things such as hinge mortises. You can also mount a bearing on top of it and use it to cut boards following a template. Like this:

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Nov 2, 2013

WashinMyGoat
Jan 15, 2002

pageerror404 posted:

Nicholson Rotary Bits? - Unused

4. What the heck are those Nicholson bits? I can't find anything about them by searching their part numbers.

Sagebrush is right, the Nicholson items are burs.

You can tell it's old because of the Company name. Nicholson is now owned by Apex Tool Group (as is Crescent). I'm pretty sure Nicholson only sells files now. Apex was once two companies called Cooper Tools and Danaher (up until 2012). The Cooper Tools brand acquired Nicholson back in 1972, you can tell that they are at least that old.

It's cool to see the old company names and cities on old tools. Crescent is now marketed as the economy/consumer grade hand tool line for Apex Tool Group, which is sad since people still call any brand of adjustable wrench a Crescent Wrench. Neat stuff!

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

WashinMyGoat posted:

I'm pretty sure Nicholson only sells files now.

Files and some drat nice machettes.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Sir Cornelius posted:

Files and some drat nice machettes.

That machete looks like poo poo. It has a terrible grind and that steel doesn't look like spring steel. Get a Kabar, Ontario, Cold Steel, or even a Gerber instead.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

kid sinister posted:

That machete looks like poo poo. It has a terrible grind and that steel doesn't look like spring steel. Get a Kabar, Ontario, Cold Steel, or even a Gerber instead.

Actually they're kind of acceptable, unlike Cold Steel and Gerbers. I don't know what you consider "spring steel", but they're made of ANSI/IEEE 420A with an acceptable heat threatening (and totally useless for springs).

You're correct in stating that they're not fantastic, but mentioning a bunch of poo poo-brands does not really make me accept you as an oracle of machete information.

A real good equally priced ANSI 420 machete is made by Carl Julius Herbertz http://img2u.info/ckgni/i/gfcbc3a9b.jpg

pageerror404
Feb 14, 2012

I finally killed them.

Sir Cornelius posted:

Actually they're kind of acceptable, unlike Cold Steel and Gerbers. I don't know what you consider "spring steel", but they're made of ANSI/IEEE 420A with an acceptable heat threatening (and totally useless for springs).

You're correct in stating that they're not fantastic, but mentioning a bunch of poo poo-brands does not really make me accept you as an oracle of machete information.

A real good equally priced ANSI 420 machete is made by Carl Julius Herbertz http://img2u.info/ckgni/i/gfcbc3a9b.jpg

What do people use machetes for when not in movies?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Gardening. Technically hacking up brush for wilderness survival, but gardening is as close as most people are going to get to that.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

Gardening. Technically hacking up brush for wilderness survival, but gardening is as close as most people are going to get to that.

Gardening all the way. I had vines that took over and eventually broke the wood fence behind my house beyond repair. A machete was the perfect tool for the job. 24 bags of yard waste later, all the ivy, vinca and wild grapes were gone. It took me a couple weeks to break up the fence into small enough pieces that the trash men would take. I was dumb and started this project right after bulk pickup day.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I bought a benchtop bandsaw from the 60's that came with the original blades. It runs smooth with the 3/8" blade but vibrated with the 1/4" & 3/16", both broke in short order. I pulled it apart when I installed both blades and went through things to make it as smooth as possible. The 3/16" broke while cutting but the 1/4" came off the wheel (was tracking fine before), I replaced it then shortly after it snapped. Obviously these were old poo poo blades to begin with. Could it be just that simple? I've read up on tuning bandsaws and watched several videos, like I said the 3/8" runs nicely. I'm ordering new blades and hopefully they will run better but I'm just looking for any insight.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Sir Cornelius posted:

You got me, I meant a high carbon spring steel like SAE 1095, which you can heat treat. SAE 420 is stainless, which is a lot harder to sharpen. Maybe you like playing around with yours, but I like mine to cut completely on the first stroke every time. Sure, it might rust, but you should always take good care of your tools. As for that 420 rigidity, that blade could break if you hit the wrong thing with it.

Also, I think Cold Steel and Gerber are lovely too. I was trying to make a point.

edit: I could see owning a stainless machete if you live on the coast.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Nov 4, 2013

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
Can't stand stainless steel blades; very difficult to sharpen. That said, I can see a place for stainless machetes since not all people take care of their tools like I do. Farm I worked at in Hawaii had abandoned machetes laying all over the place in the rain; these would have been perfect for them.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

wormil posted:

I bought a benchtop bandsaw from the 60's that came with the original blades.

Do you mean the blades are also from the 1960s? drat.

Bandsaw blades are consumable items. They get dull and brittle and they break and shops buy them in hundred-foot spools because they replace them so often. Get new blades and go from there.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Sagebrush posted:

Do you mean the blades are also from the 1960s? drat.

Bandsaw blades are consumable items. They get dull and brittle and they break and shops buy them in hundred-foot spools because they replace them so often. Get new blades and go from there.

Yep, original blades in the package; or were. I was just wondering why the thinner blades vibrated so much. Maybe after being coiled that long something funky happened or maybe I overlooked something. Guess I'll find out when the new blades get here. After looking around I ordered US made MK Morse brand,

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

pageerror404 posted:

Clearing a path to my ladder stand once right before hunting season, usually. It stays in the truck in case I have to chase something into serious underbrush.

Drivers on dog hunts often carry one.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

pageerror404 posted:

I carry one camping, but I admit it doesn't see as much use since I got an actual large knife for my pack and don't have to rely on the machete for the talks it performs.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i use a machete like all the drat time when i go up to my cabin. i'm only up there every month or so and the forest is always trying to take back the land.

dont care much for the one I have now, if anyone's got a solid, reasonably priced one I'm all ears.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I'm looking to get my stepfather a Lithium-ion drill set for christmas, so I'll be keeping an eye out around for any black friday or otherwise holiday sales in those matters.
Really, I think a drill and a reciprocating saw would work. Never really use the other bits much at all.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Bosch 12v drill and mini impact with two batteries is $129 now. The bare sawzall is $79 on amazon.

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/105208/lowes---2-piece-bosch-12v-max-lithium-ion-combo-kit-drilldriver-and-impact-driver

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Christobevii3 posted:

Bosch 12v drill and mini impact with two batteries is $129 now.

fwiw i really like these. they're probably not appropriate for contractors but if you're just buildin stuff around the house, they're really nice. impact driver will totally drive a 3" deck screw into redwood.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
In addition to all this machete talk, I should really stress that cutting anything with a machete is about 20% tool and 80% technique. Even if your machete is sharp enough to make Danny Trejo blush, if your form is off at all, you'll barely make a mark. There's also some stuff that just plain won't cut unless you hit it from the right angle. Oak branches come to mind. You can't cut them straight across. You need to cut them at a very sharp angle.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Christobevii3 posted:

Bosch 12v drill and mini impact with two batteries is $129 now. The bare sawzall is $79 on amazon.

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/105208/lowes---2-piece-bosch-12v-max-lithium-ion-combo-kit-drilldriver-and-impact-driver

Sold out on amazon now sadly.

pageerror404
Feb 14, 2012

I finally killed them.
So do you think I should sell those nicholson rotary burrs all together or individually. I don't know if they are the sort of thing that deteriorates quickly that need to be replaced often.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

rotor posted:

dont care much for the one I have now, if anyone's got a solid, reasonably priced one I'm all ears.

How's this? The same one used by the US military for over 60 years. It doesn't come with a sheathe though. I got one myself. My only gripe is that the handle on mine wasn't that great from the factory. The handle is two plastic pieces riveted together through the tang. On the one I got, the handles weren't lined up well to the tang, leaving a gap. Squeeze your fingers and palm into that gap, then swing that machete into something hard and you'll pinch something. Now multiply that by a few dozen swings. I fixed mine by giving the handle a few wraps with friction tape.

Ontario also makes another model with a finger guard if that's your thing, with a choice of 2 designer colors: black and safety orange!

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

pageerror404 posted:

So do you think I should sell those nicholson rotary burrs all together or individually. I don't know if they are the sort of thing that deteriorates quickly that need to be replaced often.

People would totally buy em, put them on craigslist or ebay

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

asdf32 posted:

And heated jackets in colors ranging from women's pink to hunting camo, pex cutters, band saws, rotary hammers all in 12 and18V

12V Jackets:

Speaking of the vacuum I'll also say again that it's been my best tool ever (dewalt has a couple good ones too). I used it as a leaf blower over the weekend and a few days before that I was vacuuming up toilet water.

I own that black coat because of this thread. I normally wear a Timberland Pro coat and the Milwaukee is honestly my new favorite coat. This is coming from buying four identical Timberland Pro coats over the last few years. Nothing wrong with them but getting more warmth from a less bulky coat seals the deal.

Toucan Sam fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 10, 2013

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Toucan Sam posted:

I own that black coat because of this thread. I normally wear a Timberland Pro coat and the Milwaukee is honestly my new favorite coat. This is coming from buying four identical Timberland Pro coats over the last few years. Nothing wrong with them but getting more warmth from a less bulky coat seals the deal.

And you like it? I've kept thinking about it since posting it. I read some of the reviews while looking it up and everyone loves it. I'm seriously considering it for my fiance this christmas since she complains about the cold all the time (unfortunately the women's seems to only come with the charger and battery).

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
Ive been looking at the milwaukee jackets for my next coat, but I don't know of any place locally that has them and I'd like to see it in person before buying

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
My second job is car wash maintenance so I'm outside in some brutal weather. This coat keeps me warm as hell and I can charge my phone while it's in my pocket. I leave it on low or medium mostly but in the wind high will make you toasty as hell.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I just picked up a Ryobi cordless trim router. I gave it a test run and I'm pretty happy with it. Besides general purpose routing this will get used on the boat where I expect to be doing some fiberglass cutting. There the cordless and small size will be key. For $50 this is a pretty good buy and gets fantastic reviews on Home Depot's website.

I'll also mention that I'm pretty happy I made the leap into Ryobi. Besides a decent line of regular tools Ryobi has some really neat options for yard/household stuff. So far I've got:
-Cordless Hedge Trimmer
-Cordless Weed Wacker
-Cordless Fan (yep just a fan, great when it's hot, when painting, or when camping. Runs like 4-6 hours on the small lithium. Way longer on their big one)
-Cordless Pump (both an inflator and high pressure compressor for cars/bikes - you set the digital gauge for the PSI you want and walk away, it stops on it's own)
-Cordless Trim Router

For now these are all sharing one ONE+ lithium battery although perhaps Christmas will bring another. So while I love my Milwaukee stuff, I'd definitely recommend Ryobi too, especially for their more unique cordless options. And in my opinion, cordless is the way to go whenever possible.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18-Volt-ONE-Trim-Router-P600/100342147#.UoF1wZQ_9OI

asdf32 fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 12, 2013

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

How noisy is that router, and what's its maximum spindle speed? I'm intrigued.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

How noisy is that router, and what's its maximum spindle speed? I'm intrigued.

26,000. Not as loud as a full size router but not super quiet either. I used it with nothing on my ears. Though the cutting is what makes a lot of the noise which will vary.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
B and q have an advert out for a product my brain cannot work out. It's a ratchet operated adjustable spanner... Is this something other people have seen or used?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

thegasman2000 posted:

B and q have an advert out for a product my brain cannot work out. It's a ratchet operated adjustable spanner... Is this something other people have seen or used?
Like this?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Looks like an excellent way to round off corners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
It's strange for me walking through a hardware store and I see these kinds of things everywhere, everything adjustable and ratcheting etc. I bought an Ace-branded socket set for $20 that I've been really happy with, a cheap set of wrenches, and a deep-socket set for changing sparkplugs. It's a shame that people seem so intent on rather than having the proper tools having one tool that does the job really poorly.

Not that my stuff is like some top-of-the-line super nice tools, but I have never stripped a bolt yet.

Uncle Enzo fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 16, 2013