Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

END GAME 8 IS OVER! As always, if you missed it, you missed one hell of an event! Catch it on the recorded channels when you get a chance, it's worth it! Alas, VGCW will be going on a break, more as this develops!

Official links:
Bazza's Twitch page – this is where you can catch VGCW, WVGCW, EDBW and VGCW At Home! VGCW is on Tuesdays at 11PM UK (6 Eastern, 3 Pacific) whereas WVGCW, EDBW and At Home have no set days, but are usually held at the same hour. In addition, EDBW is a complementary show and is usually held on weeks where there is no WVGCW.
Official VGCW forums
The VGCW Wiki
The VGCW Google doc – your one-stop shop for show listings and spoilers.
Bazza's Twitter page – useful for catching announcements about the show you can then post in this thread about.
Bryn's Twitter page – useful for finding out when WVGCW will be next, as the show doesn't have a set schedule, as well as other announcements about the show.
TOH's Twitter page – this is where you find out when the next VGCW At Home will take place.

Semi-official links:
Clem's YouTube page – fan-captured archives of the shows (with Twitch chat!) for most of seasons 2 and 3.
Zylche's YouTube page – fan-captured archives of the shows (with Twitch chat!) for seasons 4, 5 and the current season.
JohnDudebro's YouTube page - fan-captured archives of the shows (with Twitch chat!) for the current season that either complement Zylche's recordings or grab them when he's otherwise unable to.

Goon links:
Steam VGCW Goon Group – join a gaggle of goons as we chat about VGCW and marvel at me making absolutely terrible betting decisions!
VGCW on IRC – you can also watch the show with other goons on IRC if that's more your thing.

What the gently caress?

Video Game Championship Wrestling (VGCW from now on) is a wrestling show set in a crossover universe starring video game characters from different eras, systems and genres, created by Bazza using the storyline creation tools included in the yearly WWE games. It has an official canon spinoff, the Women's Division, run by Bryn, as well as a developmental show, Extreme DudeBro Wrestling, run by JohnDudebro. Both VGCW and WVGCW used WWE '13 at their inception, but have since migrated to WWE 2K14. There is also an official but non-canon spinoff called VGCW At Home run by TOH using The Sims 3.

Again: what the gently caress?

Trust me, I know what you're thinking. We all thought the same thing when we first heard about this. Just give it a shot. It's a billion times more entertaining than it has any right to be, I swear. There are two main draws:

– The storylines. Bazza and Bryn both write a mean wrestling show and have a knack for drama and, especially, humor.
– The unpredictability. Unlike 'real' wrestling, the results aren't scripted for the grand majority of matches. All challengers are controlled by the AI and left to do their thing. This means that your underdog favorite who's being fed to a monster wrestler to boost his streak actually has a chance to win. Sometimes it derails storylines, but that's actually the best part.

The show is also enhanced by a choice selection of music, images and videos, many of which are, along with most of the wrestlers, created by fans of the show. Oh yeah, and it's literally the only Twitch page in the universe where having Twitch chat actually enhances the experience.

Alright, against my better judgment this sounds good... where should I start?

While the shows have linear progression storylines, they're mostly kept simple enough to grasp that you don't really need the background. The best way to catch the VGCW bug is to expose yourself to a high concentration of the virus: the live stream. Hop on Steam or IRC with goons or just go straight to Twitch chat, pick a character you like and cheer for him/her. Let the insanity do the rest. Once you've done that and want to catch what happened before, you can head on over to Bazza's video archives and catch old shows that way for season 1, use Clem's archives for seasons 2 and 3 and Zylche's archives for seasons 4 and on. The Wiki also has outlines of wrestlers' careers, or if you prefer to have the seasons recapped as they happened, I wrote season summaries for the first three seasons: here are my recaps for Season 1, Season 2 and Season 3.

So who's in this thing?

VGCW
GM: Gabe Newell
Real People: The Angry Video Game Nerd, Charles Barkley, Chief Arino, Gabe Newell, Segata Sanshiro
Nintendo Characters: Bowser, Captain Falcon, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Flint, Ganondorf, Groose, Little Mac, Luigi, Red, Tingle, Waluigi, Wario
Capcom Characters: Air Man, Dan Hibiki, Dr. Wily, Guile, M.Bison, Mike Haggar, Phoenix Wright, Sagat, Zangief
Sega Characters: Dr. Eggman, Knuckles the Echidna, Sonic the Hedgehog
Konami Characters Goemon, Gray Fox, Solid Snake, Ebisumaru
Square Enix Characters: Adam Jensen, Barret Wallace, Kefka Palazzo as competitors
Other Game Characters: Duke Nukem, Ezio Auditore, Octodad, The Pyro, The Heavy, Scorpion, Billy and Jimmy Lee, Illidan Stormrage
Anime Characters: Gary Oak, Mr. Satan, Nappa, Vegeta
Support Characters: Seifer, Raijin, Fujin

WVGCW
GM: “The Saint”
Nintendo Characters: Impa, Princess Daisy, Princess Peach/Shadow Peach, Samus Aran, Sheik/Zelda, Wii Fit Trainer
Capcom Characters: Cammy, Chun-Li, Franziska von Karma, Maya Fey, Ema Skye, Jill Valentine, Morrigan Aensland, Poison, Roxy, Roll Caskett
Sega Characters: Bayonetta, Ulala
Konami Characters: The Boss, Meryl Silverburgh
Square Enix Characters: Ayla, Lara Croft, Lightning, Rinoa Heartilly, Rydia, Terra Branford, Tifa Lockhart
Other Game Characters: Carmen Sandiego, Chell, Chie Satonaka, Elizabeth, Faith, Gruntilda Winkybunion, Ivy Valentine, Jade, Kitana, Mama, “The Saint”, Shantae, Shaundi, She-Hulk, Sindel, Tina Armstrong, Cate Archer
Anime Characters: Android 18, Jessie, Videl
Support Characters: Dick Gumshoe, Dr. Gero, James, Mavis Beacon, Ringside Reporter

Goon Shout-outs

As I mentioned earlier, fans of the show produce a good amount of content for the show. I'd like to use this space to give a shout-out to goons who've contributed to the show in some way. In no particular order:

Zylche, for maintaining the videos w/chat archives
Zarikov, for making the intro videos
Binbag McGraw, for making the theme song remixes used for both shows
Illuminated Minutia, for making more CAWs for both shows than I can count
Ancara, for making Mike Haggar, Sabin and Gary Oak (among others) in WWE '13
Sherringford, for figuring out how to coax the game to allow the use of tag team intros in Story Mode
PoptartsNinja, for carrying the CAW creation torch
Captain Invictus, for creating the first thread and releasing the beast from the confines of the Fighting Game watching thread

Let me know if I've forgotten anyone!

Cape Cod Crab Chip fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

reserved

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
By the end of this season:

Roll and Cammy team up.
Barkley's skid only stops when he goes up against Barrett.
Barrett begs Gabe for a cyborg-vs-cyborg fight between him and Jensen. Jensen throws the fight in the hopes that Gabe will replace him with Barrett.
Haggar turns heel.
Samus gets a hot-streak that only ends when she runs face-first into Ayla's fist.
Gordon Freeman joins the VGCW.
WarioWare plot to bring down Bowser and take his castle.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
You are now tuned in to the world's greatest...this thread is the thread!

Sorry.

The Crotch posted:

Roll and Cammy team up.
Barrett begs Gabe for a cyborg-vs-cyborg fight between him and Jensen. Jensen throws the fight in the hopes that Gabe will replace him with Barrett.
Haggar turns heel.
Samus gets a hot-streak that only ends when she runs face-first into Ayla's fist.
Gordon Freeman joins the VGCW.
WarioWare plot to bring down Bowser and take his castle.

Octodad reveals that he, in fact, was Bazza McMahon all along.
Piccolo's hiding place is finally revealed...unfortunately, he was found inside the heart of Flint's wife.

Dias fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 16, 2013

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Kitana steals the show, dressed up as none other than AJ Lee

Hah, thought it was the other way around. Kitana not jobbing right off the bat was a pretty big indicator of this.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Nice OP, looking forward to another 874 pages :getin:

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

JusticeBot posted:

Hah, thought it was the other way around. Kitana not jobbing right off the bat was a pretty big indicator of this.

Did you not see that Kitana vs AJ Lee match? Heart all over the place~~~

e: haha what the gently caress is this avatar? Thanks, mystery benefactor :)

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Did you not see that Kitana vs AJ Lee match? Heart all over the place~~~

Until Bazza took out the cage and she got squashed by AJ.

Still...one of the best matches of the season. Like to see if 2k14 can step it up to that level.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It's gonna make me really sad when New DK shows up, if only for the loss of this beautiful image.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

You're a fool if you think DK face will ever die.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
2K13's glory will never die!

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman
Did someone ever make a gif of James' table incident?

Edit: vvv I've already seen that gif, and it isn't quite as good as Rinoa slamming James on top of the table's ghost.

TheEggsBenedict fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 16, 2013

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Nope but I have something that's a million times as funny;

Behold: Magic Table.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
These videos have kind of been sidelined to a weekend deal because of work, but I still plan on keeping up with them.

And with that said, today, Chie enters the fight!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3u5f1yMMpM

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

The Crotch posted:

Barret already beat Barkley last season :colbert:!

Policenaut posted:

It's gonna make me really sad when New DK shows up, if only for the loss of this beautiful image.

New DK is already up online and don't worry, he's still terrifying. He even comes with a alt costume! The alt is even more terrifying in my opinion.

Tribladeofchaos fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 16, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Let me know if I've forgotten anyone!
Me, for making the first thread and introducing so many of you jerks to this magnificent beast :unsmigghh:

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Captain Invictus posted:

Me, for making the first thread and introducing so many of you jerks to this magnificent beast :unsmigghh:

Pfft, I was posting about it back when people were still discussing it in the Let's Watch Pro Street Fighter thread :smuggo:

Chumppell
Nov 9, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

This is balanced out by how wrong you are about :3 vs :B.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Fond memories. :allears:

Also, one of my favorite matches ever, just your average Night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jciBnCh20wU&hd=1

:patriot:

Who's going to be the first one to Toxx themselves for a Duke Nukem match in 2k14?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

So is 2k14 buggy as poo poo too? I haven't watched VGCW in forever.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 17, 2013

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

DrManiac posted:

So is 2k14 buggy as poo poo to? I haven't watched VGCW in forever.

"So long, everyone!"

(Yeah, it's still buggy, both in gameplay, menus and commentary. Hope you enjoy saying goodbye to Cole every match)

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

DrManiac posted:

So is 2k14 buggy as poo poo too? I haven't watched VGCW in forever.

Yes, but the AI is pretty much infinitely better and things are much faster in general.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It's also not as OBVIOUSLY buggy as WWE '13 was. There seems to be much less teleportation.

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
The game is probably just as buggy, just in ways less entertaining and more annoying. But AI Vs. AI is markedly improved.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The only really buggy things I've noticed in 2K14 is that characters seem to have greater difficulty pathing over to pin the other guy, and whenever one guy gets irish whipped onto the apron they have trouble grabbing/attacking them.

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

Yay, new thread!

One thing to maybe add to the OP; a list of notable matches like the one Mo_Steel mentioned and these:

Scorpion vs. Red - Iron Man Match @ End Game 5 - HYPE
Segata vs. Scorpion - Last Man Standing Match 5/8/13 - Two 9 counts?! :psyduck:
Gary Oak vs. Gabe Newell @ KotR 1/13/13 (no chat) - Gaben murders a child

Metroid Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 17, 2013

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

A bug I notice in pretty much all streams is that trying to attack opponents you throw onto the apron from the outside whiffs a lot.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There definitely needs to be a good giffed moment at the top of the first post, something eye-catching!

Hot Lead Allergy posted:

This is balanced out by how wrong you are about :3 vs :B.

Sorry, I originated the meme, you posers and filthy imitators can all go gently caress a rake. :colbert:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

There definitely needs to be a good giffed moment at the top of the first post, something eye-catching!

If anyone could make a gif of Octodad chokeslamming Ganondorf I think that'd be a winner.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

How could anyone ever forget this? :colbert:

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman
That was definitely the best thing Chie ever did. Well, until she inevitably uses Orton's punt.

Cheeseman
Apr 1, 2001

Alternatively, the recent match with Ezio 619ing Snake, but Snake codecbreakers him on the highflying move right after.

Edit: Moment right here

Cheeseman fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 17, 2013

Chumppell
Nov 9, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Sorry, I originated the meme, you posers and filthy imitators can all go gently caress a rake. :colbert:

Nearly as bad as that spacist last thread.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Terra-Rydia is awesome and definitely needs to be in the OP if we're listing notable matches; the ending sequence is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEfOYD9BbuA

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

When did this happen? I'm not up with my VGCW history. Is there chat along with it?

As for notable matches, I nominate:
Octodad vs. Ganondorf, the origin of thread title
Arino vs. Bowser, which really shouldn't have ended that way.
Gerudo Skies vs. Wario Ware, for a true display of the People's Hero.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
Free Curly

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

toanoradian posted:

Arino vs. Bowser, which really shouldn't have ended that way.
There was a better Bowser match that also had a messed up ending. Match starts 18 minutes in.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

How could anyone ever forget this? :colbert:

I love this, both because it's Chie and because it's almost exactly like one of my favorite JR/King calls of all time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3wj9BxRf0Y

e: hopefully Bryn comes back soon so we can get more of those :getin:

Manoueverable fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
If you count VGCW out because it sounds stupid you're missing the greatest show on Earth. The tension. The drama. VGCW is electric!

• Locked thread