Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

WeaponBoy posted:

Ignis got a huge range and damage boost and it ignores obstacles so you can hose down a hallway and kill everything 30 metres in front of you.

I don't think it got a range boost, the big change is that it's no longer a laser-thin line of effect like the Flux Rifle, it actually behaves kinda like a flamethrower should.

It's pretty great now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper Man
Jul 12, 2006

You can do kappa runs and just sit at the pod and spin around and do pretty well for yourself.

Kinetic Tools
May 6, 2009
Is puncture a good thing for the Ignis? Seems like it would be. Does ignoring obstructions include other bad guys?

Dapper Man
Jul 12, 2006

Kinetic Tools posted:

Is puncture a good thing for the Ignis? Seems like it would be. Does ignoring obstructions include other bad guys?

The Ignis already has innate puncture, a puncture mod would be useless. See post below me.

Dapper Man fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 17, 2013

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Dapper Man posted:

The Ignis already has innate puncture, a puncture mod would be useless.
It doesn't, actually. It uses the explosion mechanics, which is what allows it to hit multiple targets in a spread without hitting the same target multiple times like a shotgun can. While it may seem like it's piercing enemies because you're hitting everything in a clump, if you shoot through an enemy behind a door or something otherwise fully obscured, it won't hit.

So yes, puncture mods (specifically Shred) can in fact be very effective on the Ignis.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's weird how Mag is the smallest and most plane warframe but also gets the weirdest hats.

I want to know what she listens to with the Gauss helmet.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I just assumed thousand year old Daft Punk mp3s.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Ardeem posted:

I just assumed thousand year old Daft Punk mp3s.
Buttrock, actually.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Fish Noise posted:

Buttrock, actually.

That's Volt.

My brother painted one blue and tan, slapped power, duration, and efficiency mods in... GOTTA GO FAST!

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Gestalt Intellect posted:

The Magnetic Fields, duh.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
What's the deal with cloning the PC account? I have a PC account with pretty much everything except OD mods, which aren't that bad to grind because I have around 300 tower keys, handspring which isn't important, strun wraith because I was too busy having a life that weekend, and the newer prime stuff (mag prime/orthos prime being the only two that matter). I even have 6x formad ignis, ogris, acrid, soma, nyx, and nova along with maxed of almost every mod. I will never play warframe on the PS4.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Khorne posted:

What's the deal with cloning the PC account?
I will never play warframe on the PS4.
None of the account cloning stuff applies to you.

Dapper Man
Jul 12, 2006

Khorne posted:

What's the deal with cloning the PC account? I have a PC account with pretty much everything except OD mods, which aren't that bad to grind because I have around 300 tower keys, handspring which isn't important, strun wraith because I was too busy having a life that weekend, and the newer prime stuff (mag prime/orthos prime being the only two that matter). I even have 6x formad ignis, ogris, acrid, soma, nyx, and nova along with maxed of almost every mod. I will never play warframe on the PS4.

Don't worry about anything, even if you were to someday play warframe on PS4 and decide to clone your account over, it would have absolutely zero effects on your PC account.

I'm not exactly sure what you're worried about in the first place. Nothing is being done that will change ay of your stuff.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Khorne posted:

What's the deal with cloning the PC account?
As a clone, you will have to choose one of the three starter Grineer: Sawman, Lancer, Scorpion. From there, you'll want to play the tutorial, where you lug around some Void-breaching machinery for Captain Vor, then get horribly slaughtered by a Tenno extraction team.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Fish Noise posted:

As a clone, you will have to choose one of the three starter Grineer: Sawman, Lancer, Scorpion. From there, you'll want to play the tutorial, where you lug around some Void-breaching machinery for Captain Vor, then get horribly slaughtered by a Tenno extraction team.

It'd never happen, but it'd be pretty rad if it was possible to have a mission type where you could play as stock enemies to prevent a team of player Tenno from achieving a goal.

Have it work like Counter-Operative from Perfect Dark. :v:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Alright, I just started playing this on PS4 for the first time. Seems pretty cool for a F2P game, especially with the nice starter packs they gave for free.

I just submitted a goon clan request form, so hopefully my PSN name (JazzFlight) will also be able to be invited to the clan without having a PC account...?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Dapper Man posted:

Don't worry about anything, even if you were to someday play warframe on PS4 and decide to clone your account over, it would have absolutely zero effects on your PC account.

I'm not exactly sure what you're worried about in the first place. Nothing is being done that will change ay of your stuff.
I was curious because it seems like your PC account remains intact, and if the two accounts are separate then I could clone mine for a friend with the PS4.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Man, grineer survival missions are so much fun. So many heavy units to choose from when you wanna mind control someone and they do so, so much work.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I didn't know they added 50% platinum discounts to the login rewards over the months. Neat.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Schubalts posted:

I didn't know they added 50% platinum discounts to the login rewards over the months. Neat.

There's a 75% one, too.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Hog Butcher posted:

There's a 75% one, too.

I wanna say I heard there's an ultra-rare 90%, but I couldn't source that.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Hog Butcher posted:

There's a 75% one, too.

And a 20% one. :(

Dapper Man
Jul 12, 2006

Corpus Minigun Sidearm (It spins!)

Corpus Whip

Tenno Double Barreled Shotgun (Jesus it looks like an actual gun this time!)

Khorne posted:

I was curious because it seems like your PC account remains intact, and if the two accounts are separate then I could clone mine for a friend with the PS4.

That's a good idea, if it works. I might try that.

Dapper Man fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 17, 2013

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

JazzFlight posted:

I just submitted a goon clan request form, so hopefully my PSN name (JazzFlight) will also be able to be invited to the clan without having a PC account...?
Not yet, sorry. My guess is that this will happen at the same time as cross-platform play makes it in, but nobody's exactly sure when that will be. Hopefully soon, but in the meantime I've marked you for invite later.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Hog Butcher posted:

It'd never happen, but it'd be pretty rad if it was possible to have a mission type where you could play as stock enemies to prevent a team of player Tenno from achieving a goal.

Have it work like Counter-Operative from Perfect Dark. :v:

So my lowly corpus grunt could turn around and shoot the hostage for an instant tenno failure. I like it.

A break action shotgun for warframe? That'll make me drop the strun wraith in a heartbeat!

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I read the first post, but I'm still a little unclear about mods. Should I be hoarding certain mods for weapons down the road? Can you overwrite a mod and if so does that mean I should just fill my slots with whatever I've picked up so far?

I started with Excalibur and decided I don't want a character so focused on melee, is the Vauban frame the first post suggests more of a ranged character?

GarudaPrime
May 19, 2006

THE PANTS ARE FANCY!
You can use any mod in multiple weapons/frames* so no need to horde them. Except of course there is every reason to horde them...

So for example you can have 12 different rifles and put same +damage mod you have been ranking up for weeks in all of them.

* The exception is sentinel weapons. Your sentinel is a pet you can craft and it has its own weapon. So if you make the deathcube it comes with a rifle and you cannot have the same exact mod in both your primary Rifle and your sentinels rifle. To be specific you cannot have the same mod equipped in anything twice and your sentinels gun counts as your equipment.

So is it worth saving mods for your sentinels gun? Yes! Jesus i wish i knew this when I started!

If i was starting over I would never fuse a rare weapon mod to another rare weapon mod of the same type till I had a third one. Always keep an extra unranked weapon mod if you only have two of them. Some day when your reading wikis trying to grind on 2 % drop chance missions to get a mod you found two of in week one in order to put it in your sentinels gun because your a damage sperg lord: you will thank me for this advice.

Honestly i wouldnt fuse any uncommon mod to another uncommon of the same type till I get three or more.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
"melee" and "ranged" are not concepts that describe any warframe well since your melee and ranged dps are both based entirely on your mod collection. Also melee sucks in general.

You should be looking at powers instead.
http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Vauban_(Warframe)

Vauban has Tesla(25), Bounce(50), Bastille(75) and Vortex(100 energy).

Tesla is a little lightning ball that zaps a target within range every 3 seconds for a decent amount of elec damage. Great vs corpus, can stunlock anything that isn't an Ancient if you have enough out. Fire-and-forget area denial. Lasts 40 seconds(unchanging), has 10 Zaps at max, modified by power duration. Good power.

Bounce is a jump pad that has 4 uses at max level. It's a Super Jump you can share. Decent mobility power. Also activates on enemies to ragdoll and knock them into the air. You can also chuck it on an ally or enemy to bounce them around. Everyone loves Bounce.

Bastille is an aoe that lifts a set number of enemies(increased by mods like Focus) into the air, incapacitating them for the duration of the power. Decent. Can't increase the enemy cap by dropping more down on top of each other though, you have to spread them out so they don't overlap. Slows down bosses immensely instead of lifting them.

Vortex ragdolls and sucks in all enemies that can be ragdolled and does 1000 damage over the base duration of the power through lots of little ticks. Damage is affected by armor. Mostly useful for the unlimited CC, pairs well with AOE weapons like Ignis or Ogris.

NONE of Vauban's powers interrupt firing or reloading or running or wallrunning, so you can use them while doing whatever else you want.

If making GBS threads out lightning balls, jump pads, cages and black holes sounds fun then Vauban may be for you.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Re: mods, you should be hoarding everything you can get your hands on if you're just starting out. There's no cost to swap out mods, if you remove a mod it just goes back in your inventory. So yes, starting off, shoving whatever you've got in there until you flesh out your collection a bit is a sound strategy.

Any of the caster-type frames would be probably be a good fit, really. Vauban specifically focuses more on crowd control rather than ranged offense. If that sounds like fun (it is, but I feel like all the frames are fun in their own way), then sure, go for it.

That said, if you don't want to spend money on the game yet, Vauban should probably be considered more of a long-term goal. This is because there's nothing you can farm to get the blueprints for his parts, they only show up infrequently through the alert system. Thankfully, Vauban's unique in that respect, and there are several other options that you can work toward more easily. Mag's part blueprints are obtained from the boss on Mars, for example.

You can also just keep going with Excalibur. Slash Dash works just as well for getting away from enemies or through a cluster and out the other side just as well as it does for getting into melee range, and Radial Javelin serves as a pretty solid "oh gently caress I really do not want all this poo poo standing near me" button. There's nothing stopping you from staying outside of melee range and shooting dudes in the face, that's what most folks do anyway and Excalibur's arguably better at keeping out of melee range of stuff than a lot of the "ranged" frames are.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

katkillad2 posted:

I read the first post, but I'm still a little unclear about mods. Should I be hoarding certain mods for weapons down the road? Can you overwrite a mod and if so does that mean I should just fill my slots with whatever I've picked up so far?

I started with Excalibur and decided I don't want a character so focused on melee, is the Vauban frame the first post suggests more of a ranged character?

I see hints of the usual newbie misconceptions that happen because this game is so bad at explaining itself, so here's some bullet points:
  • Mods are not permanently attached to equipment, and not destroyed when removed.
  • You can power up a mod in the mods list (separate from the upgrade screen) by selecting it, clicking "fusion", and then selecting other mods to fuse to it (duplicates or fusion cores work best).
  • Excalibur's Slash Dash does not depend on your melee weapon at all.
  • Long range/sniping does not work, fighting is at mid-to-close range 99% of the time.
And something fun to try as Excalibur: Super Jump and then Slash Dash to fly across huge gaps most people will have to go around, especially once you've maxed out both powers (which isn't too hard).

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Yeah Excalibur isn't really melee. Rhino is probably the only suit that encourages melee. Maybe the Ashe/Loki for the stealth attacks?

I just use Slash Dash to move around and get through enemies easily, it does good damage as well. Super Jump + Radial Javelin is also pretty fun, as is Mag's Bullet Attractor + Radial Javelin. I actually quite like the Excalibur although I've only played 4 or 5 suits.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Have they mentioned anything about fixing Antimatter Drop for clients, or should I just forget about it for my Nova? Also, why the gently caress are the ice damage mods two points less than the other two types??

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

A lot of the mod costs feel kind of arbitrary/dumb, honestly. Multishot for pistols is 11 points maxed out, but for rifles and shotguns it's 15 points, even though the rifle version is 30% less effective. Armor piercing on rifles goes up to 60% at a cost of 9 points, while the pistol version is 7 points for 90%. It's goofy.

Since they're already making massive changes that will have major effects on mod usefulness with Update 11 and Damage/Armor 2.0, maybe the mod costs will get a balance pass as well. Maybe.

Buzzman
Feb 21, 2011
I was interested in trying this out untill I noticed this was still in beta. I don't feel like spending time on this if it`s just going to get wiped for release, does anyone know when it will officially launch?

Buzzman fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Nov 17, 2013

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Don't worry about it. They've stated repeatedly that there will be no wipes, and have held to that since closed beta a year ago.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Buzzman posted:

I was interested in trying this out untill I noticed this was still in beta. I don't feel like spending time on this if it`s just going to get wiped for release, does anyone know when it will officially launch?

It basically is released now that the PS4 is out. I doubt it'll be classified as out of beta until at least the new damage model is finalised and the UI reaches it's final form, but to all intents and purposes the game is out now and no account wipes are planned.

Buzzman
Feb 21, 2011
Awesome, guess I'll start downloading then. Thanks for the quick reply guys.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
One tip I would share to any newbie is to level up your warframes (especially) or weapons to 30 before getting rid of them, so you don't have to build it again later and grind all the way back up for your mastery points (account exp that unlocks toys).

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Did DE give any hints on which boss will drop the Berserker's blueprints?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
I'm doing the first sabotage mission and I can't figure out what we're supposed to do. If we stay where we are they overrun us, and if we move forward there are tons of them in the way. I've yet to see anybody even reach a life support pod.