Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

I like the lone helicopter playing hide and seek from the others.

What's the small twin right next to that helo? The silhouette looks really familiar but I can't place it.

Also digging all the Coalers and the An-32 missing part of a wing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

reddeathdrinker posted:

Just back from a job in Angola - this is the small "boneyard" at Luanda International Airport... Click for big.

Wanna make a house out of that IL-76. The tail turret is where we'd drink whiskey in the evening.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

^^^Don't you mean, "drink vodka in the evening"?

I want to buy all those Coalers and start my own Buffalo Airlines up north; I won't even make a TV show about it I promise!

Actually, the Coaler would be almost ideal up there (if you could ever convince Transport Canada to certify them), and a TV show about Buffaloflot would be pretty awesome...

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!

MrChips posted:

^^^Don't you mean, "drink vodka in the evening"?

I want to buy all those Coalers and start my own Buffalo Airlines up north; I won't even make a TV show about it I promise!

Actually, the Coaler would be almost ideal up there (if you could ever convince Transport Canada to certify them), and a TV show about Buffaloflot would be pretty awesome...

I'll help, everyone knows I want an AN-72 anyway.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

MrChips posted:

You're 2/3rds to being on discovery - to add on to Buffaloflot, may I suggest getting a bunch of Coalers, then getting a bunch of people with narcissistic personality disorders, and splitting them into teams in competition with each other? That way there would be lots of malfunctions for drama, and you barely surviving a dangerous flight to come back to yell at people, more drama

Or maybe once the An-72s are assembled, you travel around north America landing on fields to go antiquing or buying crap in people's basements - some angle where regular smoes get money for selling their personal possessions. Oh, wait! Maybe the Airplane *is a pawn shop*, and it flies around and is a pawn shop to remote areas! Then you could have people haggling *inside an airplane*!

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Powercube posted:

I'll help, everyone knows I want an AN-72 anyway.

Psh An-22 all the way.

NK-12 UBER ALLES

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Nebakenezzer posted:

You're 2/3rds to being on discovery - to add on to Buffaloflot, may I suggest getting a bunch of Coalers, then getting a bunch of people with narcissistic personality disorders, and splitting them into teams in competition with each other? That way there would be lots of malfunctions for drama, and you barely surviving a dangerous flight to come back to yell at people, more drama

Or maybe once the An-72s are assembled, you travel around north America landing on fields to go antiquing or buying crap in people's basements - some angle where regular smoes get money for selling their personal possessions. Oh, wait! Maybe the Airplane *is a pawn shop*, and it flies around and is a pawn shop to remote areas! Then you could have people haggling *inside an airplane*!

I like the idea, I really do, but I'm trying to run a business here.

Best I can do is ten bucks.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

MrChips posted:

*storms down cargo ramp muttering how "it was worth $1000", kicks hydraulic ramp strut, hurts foot:

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!

MrChips posted:

Look, I don't know that this is a genuine NK-12 engine. I'm going to have to call a guy, and he's out of town. You want to wait until tomorrow?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Just for the record Mikey is one of the coolest guys I've ever met. Great guy to go drinking with too.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
There are a poo poo load of cheburashkas in that picture wow.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
There was a plane crash in western russia today.

http://rt.com/news/passenger-plane-crash-kazan-866/

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!

mustard_tiger posted:

There was a plane crash in western russia today.

http://rt.com/news/passenger-plane-crash-kazan-866/

737-500 (The smallest 737CL variant, very popular in Russia). According to the article, "a fuel tank exploded" and then "the nose hit the ground on landing". I have no idea what could make the fuel tank explode. lovely wiring and an inoperative nitrogen-generation system, maybe?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Didn't a 737 explode in Russia a few years ago?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

ctishman posted:

737-500 (The smallest 737CL variant, very popular in Russia). According to the article, "a fuel tank exploded" and then "the nose hit the ground on landing". I have no idea what could make the fuel tank explode. lovely wiring and an inoperative nitrogen-generation system, maybe?

Don't believe everything (or anything, raelly) that RT publishes. They make Fox News look like paragons of journalistic integrity.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Godholio posted:

Didn't a 737 explode in Russia a few years ago?

So far as I know no - at least, not a 737. The only other 737-in-Russia thing I know of was the UTair 737 overrunning the runway in 2010.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ctishman posted:

I don't think anything earlier than the 737 MAX has a nitrogen generation system, it's a pretty new thing.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Psion posted:

So far as I know no - at least, not a 737. The only other 737-in-Russia thing I know of was the UTair 737 overrunning the runway in 2010.
The article linked talked about that UTAir 737-400 having a landing gear fire (hot brakes I guess) at Moscow, as well as (possibly this tail?) having to return to Moscow for a loss of cabin pressurization.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Didn't see this posted here at all, but might be of interest to a few.

Westjet to fly trans-atlantic

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/westjet-to-go-transatlantic-with-flights-to-dublin-1.2427850

quote:

Calgary-based WestJet is spreading its wings across the Atlantic for the first time with flights to Dublin. The airline announced on Friday it will start offering daily non-stop service from St. John’s to Ireland's capital next June.

"What this is, really, is an opportunity for us to gain a better understanding of what it's like to operate in Europe," said WestJet spokesperson Robert Palmer.

"Much as we had to do when we first started flying to the United States and the Caribbean. Every region of the world is different, so this offers us the opportunity, a toe in the water if you will, to explore the European market, on a measured basis."

The flights will be aboard WestJet's Boeing Next-Generation 737-700 series aircraft. Daily same-aircraft flights will also be offered from Toronto with one stop-over, as well as daily flights between Ottawa and St. John's connecting to Dublin, the airline said.

"It's not as far as we can go with our aircraft, in fact this flight is only four hours, 15 minutes, and many of our flights to the Caribbean and Mexico are longer than that. So, the range of the aircraft, that's not an issue," said Palmer.

"This destination is well within the range of the aircraft." The airline will add connecting flights to Dublin from Ottawa, Halifax, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg and other cities in the airline’s network. Robert Kokonis, an airline analyst with Airtrav, said WestJet will be the fourth airline offering direct flights between the two countries.

"It will be a crowded market into Ireland. I don’t think Dublin was chosen for any other reason than it’s a doable flight link from Canada," he said.
Gayle White, a travel agent with Sundial Travel, said she hopes WestJet’s transatlantic foray is the start of many more flights to Europe.
"It really doesn't benefit anybody in the west. We need more direct flights from the west instead of going through Toronto, Ontario, or now St. John's."

One-way flights from St. John’s to Dublin will start at $199.

White said she has already crunched the numbers and found the prices for the new route are similar to the competition, when departing from Calgary.

The service will be seasonal, operating from June 15 to Oct. 5.
I am glad to see this although Dublin itself doesn't have a ton of appeal, but I assume it's an OK as a stop over to get to the rest of Europe?

How far could Westjet fly in a 737 from, say, YYZ? ETOPS an issue?

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!

Linedance posted:

I don't think anything earlier than the 737 MAX has a nitrogen generation system, it's a pretty new thing.

I just checked on it. The classics don't have it, but all of the NGs they're turning out today do. Not sure if that goes all the way back to the first NGs or not

Edit: According to this incredibly nerdy site, all NGs from tail number 2620 upwards have NGS installed, and tail 1935+ have provisions for them.

ctishman fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 18, 2013

PatrickBateman
Jul 26, 2007

ctishman posted:

I just checked on it. The classics don't have it, but all of the NGs they're turning out today do. Not sure if that goes all the way back to the first NGs or not

Edit: According to this incredibly nerdy site, all NGs from tail number 2620 upwards have NGS installed, and tail 1935+ have provisions for them.

Ngs Retrofit required for all us operated aircraft by an AD I believe.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

PatrickBateman posted:

Ngs Retrofit required for all us operated aircraft by an AD I believe.

I don't think it has to be nitrogen generation, just a system to prevent center tank explosions. It just happened that ngs became the leading tech for doing that so that's generally what is being installed.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
About NGS, the name doesn't accurately describe the function of some systems:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen_generator#Adsorption_concept

They pull the Oxygen out, producing a nitrogen rich environment. But who cares.

I saw a 787 near Seattle today:

CR7A2131 by BHlavka, on Flickr

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

reddeathdrinker posted:

Just back from a job in Angola - this is the small "boneyard" at Luanda International Airport... Click for big.

I need to get rich so I can adopt an airplane.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Gullous posted:

About NGS, the name doesn't accurately describe the function of some systems:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen_generator#Adsorption_concept

They pull the Oxygen out, producing a nitrogen rich environment. But who cares.

I saw a 787 near Seattle today:

CR7A2131 by BHlavka, on Flickr

Oh nice. I saw an ANA 787 taxiing on Thursday. I'm looking forward to the day I get to ride on one.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

slidebite posted:

Didn't see this posted here at all, but might be of interest to a few.

Westjet to fly trans-atlantic

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/westjet-to-go-transatlantic-with-flights-to-dublin-1.2427850

I am glad to see this although Dublin itself doesn't have a ton of appeal, but I assume it's an OK as a stop over to get to the rest of Europe?

How far could Westjet fly in a 737 from, say, YYZ? ETOPS an issue?

This would have been nice to have as an option. We flew to Dublin with AC on an old rear end 757 with the old school projectors at the bulkheads and no power/charge ports.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

CharlesM posted:

Oh nice. I saw an ANA 787 taxiing on Thursday. I'm looking forward to the day I get to ride on one.

SJC? I've seen them lining up for takeoff while driving on 880 a couple times now. Very noticeable due to plane's sheer size, most things taking off from SJC aren't clearly visible from the freeway what with the blast fences, but the 787 really stands tall. One time I saw the taxi while on 880N, then turned onto 101N because that's where I was going and saw the climbout as I got near the end of the runway.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

slidebite posted:

You shut that whore mouth.

And from berlin you could do the UK or Scandinavia easily enough if you're on an American style ultra high speed tour of the old world.

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!

slidebite posted:

Dublin is RyanAir's main hub, so you can get to the rest of EU super cheap... Just bring your own first aid supplies.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Aer Lingus also flies to a lot of places cheaply and isn't terrible. It's a pretty good hub if you aren't sure of where you'll end up going in Europe, since you can almost certainly fly back to Dublin.

Of course, the key point there is that the flights to Dublin from NYC are already cheap,

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Timmy Cruise posted:

This would have been nice to have as an option. We flew to Dublin with AC on an old rear end 757 with the old school projectors at the bulkheads and no power/charge ports.

no, you flew on an old rear end 767. We fly those to Ireland because I guess the Irish are used to travelling steerage? It's good preparation for if you're connecting onwards on Ryanair.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

evil_bunnY posted:

You shut that whore mouth.

And from berlin you could do the UK or Scandinavia easily enough if you're on an American style ultra high speed tour of the old world.

Actually, Mrs and I were talking after I posted this, and I would like to visit Ireland :)

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

Linedance posted:

no, you flew on an old rear end 767. We fly those to Ireland because I guess the Irish are used to travelling steerage? It's good preparation for if you're connecting onwards on Ryanair.

I could have sworn it was a 757 but I didn't bother checking so I'm quite sure you are right. It was the worst plane I have flown on I think.

Slidebite - Ireland is really nice. The roads were fun even in a Micra if you get off the motorways.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

757 is one aisle, 767 is two.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Timmy Cruise posted:

I could have sworn it was a 757 but I didn't bother checking so I'm quite sure you are right. It was the worst plane I have flown on I think.

Slidebite - Ireland is really nice. The roads were fun even in a Micra if you get off the motorways.

it's the worst aircraft in the fleet, save for its sister plane. They're loving embarrassing if I'm completely honest.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

BobHoward posted:

SJC? I've seen them lining up for takeoff while driving on 880 a couple times now. Very noticeable due to plane's sheer size, most things taking off from SJC aren't clearly visible from the freeway what with the blast fences, but the 787 really stands tall. One time I saw the taxi while on 880N, then turned onto 101N because that's where I was going and saw the climbout as I got near the end of the runway.

No, also in Seattle like Gullous. I was at the airport so I saw it from inside the terminal. My mom actually pointed it out to me. It has 787 written in huge numbers on the side so it's quite easy to identify that way. :q: The cockpit windows look quite different from any other Boeing jet too. They also have that neat sawtooth nacelle although new 747s do too and I think some others will soon.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Russians released security camera footage of that captured a few frames of that 737 going down.
Talk about a lawndart.
:stare:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgGHrMJuxRs

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

slidebite posted:

Russians released security camera footage of that captured a few frames of that 737 going down.
Talk about a lawndart.
:stare:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgGHrMJuxRs
Interesting to say the least. Disorientation during the third go around because the PF learned to fly on AN-2s where the ADI works the opposite way?

It has happened before, on another Russian 737-500 even IIRC.

e: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroflot_Flight_821

Tsuru fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 18, 2013

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tsuru posted:

Interesting to say the least. Disorientation during the third go around because the PF learned to fly on AN-2s where the ADI pitch works the opposite way?

It has happened before, on another Russian 737-500 even IIRC.

I think the guys on youtube have it all figured out:

quote:

Assassins to kill or possibly take out Snowden were on that plane, certainly spies. Someone brought it down. I'm not naming names, but I know who brought it down. NSA is getting too much pressure from the world. This is an american plane for one, a 737. The Country that brought it down, has kept the light of justice on them, the NSA, spies, etc. They don't want the light of justice on them(selves). Well that's just too bad. Son-of-bitches loving up the world, left-right and-center. Deserve what they got. They flew into Kazan, to infiltrate Russia from there. It was Obvious when I saw the first clip and news story on this.

Its so obvious, why didn't I see it before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

hobbesmaster posted:

I think the guys on youtube have it all figured out:

Its so obvious, why didn't I see it before?

The flash right before impact is obviously the muzzle flash from the assassin making sure the job got done.