Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Verdugo posted:

I can confirm, I swap nibs all the time in my Metro. Feed and nib are friction fit, they pull right out, just like the Plumix/Pluminix. I clean mine religiously between refills.

With that being said, I received a package in the mail today from Japan....

Ordered it from Rakuten Shop USA on 5 November, they shipped it 7 November, cost me $12 USD including shipping, received it today. The nib is really nice. Same as the Metro nib but finer, and with a :).

I opened it, tossed the box, then remembered I was going to take pictures. It also comes with a instruction sheet that I also didn't take pictures of. It doesn't come with a converter but the squeeze one from the Metro works fine. The instruction sheet says the Piston one works fine as well.

Thanks for this post! I just ordered one for my girlfriend since she has been having to use rollerballs ever since she dropped my TWSBI (with a Mike-It-Work nib :gonk: )

I'm far too nice to her. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VisualIntercourse
Mar 30, 2005
It's all I can get

DJT518T posted:

That is a Parker Vector with a cartridge converter. I've not seen one in matte black with gold highlights before. Where yours says 'X' on the nib mine says 'M' which is the thickness.

Hope this helps.

Vitamins posted:

Yup, the X just stands for Extra Fine.

Thanks for the info. Now I need to find some ink so I can finally use it.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Verdugo posted:

I can confirm, I swap nibs all the time in my Metro. Feed and nib are friction fit, they pull right out, just like the Plumix/Pluminix. I clean mine religiously between refills.

With that being said, I received a package in the mail today from Japan....

Ordered it from Rakuten Shop USA on 5 November, they shipped it 7 November, cost me $12 USD including shipping, received it today. The nib is really nice. Same as the Metro nib but finer, and with a :).

I opened it, tossed the box, then remembered I was going to take pictures. It also comes with a instruction sheet that I also didn't take pictures of. It doesn't come with a converter but the squeeze one from the Metro works fine. The instruction sheet says the Piston one works fine as well.

Do you think it could be converted to an eyedropper? I bought one, because that face is so cute. I own a pilot metro, and the free pen that came with the gigundo bottle of noodler's heart of darkness.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

dino. posted:

Do you think it could be converted to an eyedropper? I bought one, because that face is so cute. I own a pilot metro, and the free pen that came with the gigundo bottle of noodler's heart of darkness.

The bottom of the pen has two vent holes, so not out of the box.

I sadly was liberated of my Kakuno's smiley face nib as my wife stole it for *her* metro. :S

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I now have a Waterman 52 full size in black, with a ring top! It flexes from XF to BBBB (or thereabouts), it is going to be craaaazy to write with. I also had someone put an Eversharp nib into a TWSBI Vac-700, grind the feed, and smooth the vintage nib so that it writes with some semiflex, comparable to a Pilot Falcon nib. I'll see if I can come up with some samples later!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Verdugo posted:

The bottom of the pen has two vent holes, so not out of the box.

I sadly was liberated of my Kakuno's smiley face nib as my wife stole it for *her* metro. :S
Damnit. Ah well. I have the syringes with which to refill the cartridges. I'm kind of waffling on my next ink purchase. I don't want to get more black, because 4 oz of black ink is probably enough to last a lifetime. I don't want to get blue, because black is good enough for Serious Business. I'm kind of edging towards the Noodler's Dragon Napalm (or however you say that), because that orange is almost red (which is my favourite colour). For such a happy pen, I'm thinking that a happy ink would be a Very Cool Thing.

EDIT: Just bought Dragon's Napalm from Goulet Pens. Also got Bernake Blue, as it's fast drying, and my left handed self won't smear all over creation. Picked up a Pilot Plumix, and a Rhodia notebook. What's happening to me. T_T

dino. fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 17, 2013

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

dino. posted:

Damnit. Ah well. I have the syringes with which to refill the cartridges. I'm kind of waffling on my next ink purchase. I don't want to get more black, because 4 oz of black ink is probably enough to last a lifetime. I don't want to get blue, because black is good enough for Serious Business. I'm kind of edging towards the Noodler's Dragon Napalm (or however you say that), because that orange is almost red (which is my favourite colour). For such a happy pen, I'm thinking that a happy ink would be a Very Cool Thing.

EDIT: Just bought Dragon's Napalm from Goulet Pens. Also got Bernake Blue, as it's fast drying, and my left handed self won't smear all over creation. Picked up a Pilot Plumix, and a Rhodia notebook. What's happening to me. T_T

De Atramentis Ocher Yellow is my new favorite Non Blue / Black ink. Got it in a sample pack from Goulet and it's pretty cool. In the Kakuno post the sample from the Metro that I wrote with is that color.

Doctor Medic
Apr 15, 2013

Going to space today!
So I jumped into the deep end and got my first fountain pen, from a local fountain pen store, if you can believe that. I'm so in love with my Vanishing Point that I don't even know how to describe it. It's so much nicer to write with than the cheap and cheerful ballpoints I've been lugging around since forever.

So, thanks fountain pen thread. Thanks for costing me 164 dollars (pen+ink+couple of nice notebooks) and making my handwriting nicer.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Getting hooked on fountain pens thanks to this thread has done nothing for my handwriting but the 'ooohs' when you haul out a fountain pen are very satisfying, even when it's only a $20 metro.

That and I get to pick pretty colours to write in other than the standard pen blue/black/red.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Speaking of the 'ooohs'...

I've had to argue with a couple clients of mine that my Hero 200 is not, in fact, a Parker 75. It's a surprisingly belligerent argument, albeit good-spirited as far as arguments go. They don't seem to understand that if I had a real Parker 75, that I wouldn't dare to use it in everyday life.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
My handwriting has gotten much better with fountain pens, but it still looks like butt. I think what improvement I've seen is mostly because the pen flows more smoothly so I pay a little more attention to how I'm writing.

Then I get to watch my newly refined handwriting feather all over the cheap-rear end Staples legal pad I use.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

For some reason the best reason?, I just find myself wanting Parker pens. Probably because I wrote with one when I was 10 and memories~

I think I am going to buy a Parker Vector or two. Being left-handed what are some faster drying inks that goons can recommend me?

Also once I get a new job I'm so going to get a Parker 75. Thanks thread I'm diving in already.

Kill Dozed
Feb 13, 2008

Totally TWISTED posted:

I think I am going to buy a Parker Vector or two. Being left-handed what are some faster drying inks that goons can recommend me?

For basic blue and black, try Noodler's Bernanke inks. For other colors, I'm not sure.

Did anyone get one of the new TWSBI 580s? I think the black and gold looks awesome, but Goulet is mostly sold out now.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Meldonox posted:

My handwriting has gotten much better with fountain pens, but it still looks like butt. I think what improvement I've seen is mostly because the pen flows more smoothly so I pay a little more attention to how I'm writing.

I read somewhere that if you want to continue improving your handwriting, the solution is to buy more pens? Has anyone heard differently?

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Solkanar512 posted:

I read somewhere that if you want to continue improving your handwriting, the solution is to buy more pens? Has anyone heard differently?

I believe you're also supposed to experiment with different inks and many different fancy paper choices as well.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Argh, I finally pulled the trigger on two Kaweco pens. Let's see how underrated old unknown German pens are (they also have the advantage of costing next to nothing on ebay around here).

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Dropped the dough on a bottle each of Noodler's Zhivago, Pilot Iroshizuku Take-sumi, and Diamine Eclipse in my never ending search for a black ink with a subtle tinge of another colour so I can push the limits of my work's requirement I write in black ink. The Zhivago sampler I tried gave me exceptionally well behaved ink with the perfectly subtle hint of green that most people didn't even notice, Eclipse looks to do much the same but with a subtle purple sheen on black, and the Take-sumi is my fall-back if I get told to stop farting around and just use black, because the charcoal tone gives it a more grey-black appearance.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Kill Dozed posted:

For basic blue and black, try Noodler's Bernanke inks. For other colors, I'm not sure.

Did anyone get one of the new TWSBI 580s? I think the black and gold looks awesome, but Goulet is mostly sold out now.

As someone who majored in Econ I (un?)ironically love this. Thanks.

Thelonious Monk
Apr 2, 2008

Life and music: all about style.
I recently inked up my pilot vanishing point in fine with pilot iroshizuku blue (the name I can't remember) after switching to pilot hi-techpoint 0.5 rollerball pens for convenience. My goodness it's still the best writer I have in my rotation which includes a Namiki Falcon and a montblanc 145 Chopin. Amazing value for the quality of nib you get. If only the ink capacity were better, then it would be my everyday pen without worry of running out of ink midday.

Or I could just buy another one.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Are you using a CON-20 in it?

Vulich the Subtle
Nov 25, 2012

Paul is unimpressed by the glories of the Host.

kim jong-illin posted:

Dropped the dough on a bottle each of Noodler's Zhivago, Pilot Iroshizuku Take-sumi, and Diamine Eclipse in my never ending search for a black ink with a subtle tinge of another colour so I can push the limits of my work's requirement I write in black ink. The Zhivago sampler I tried gave me exceptionally well behaved ink with the perfectly subtle hint of green that most people didn't even notice, Eclipse looks to do much the same but with a subtle purple sheen on black, and the Take-sumi is my fall-back if I get told to stop farting around and just use black, because the charcoal tone gives it a more grey-black appearance.

I enjoy Noodler's Lexington Grey for an interesting near-black.

Has a bit of shading and it nib creeps something terrible in my Lamy but I absolutely adore it.

triskadekaphilia
Oct 29, 2004

kim jong-illin posted:

I bought my dad a bottle of Zhivago for his birthday, and have been using it for him since he decided he doesn't want to deal with bottled ink... it replaced Air Corp Blue Black as my everyday ink pretty much immediately because I love how rich it feels.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

This may be a stupid question, but I keep seeing cartridges & converters listed by capacity in ml - does anyone know roughly how many pages / words you get per ml of ink?

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Semprini posted:

This may be a stupid question, but I keep seeing cartridges & converters listed by capacity in ml - does anyone know roughly how many pages / words you get per ml of ink?

That's a hard one to judge actually. A broader nib will put down more ink than a finer one of the same wetness, likewise a wet medium will put down more ink than a dry medium for example. This is probably one of those situations where anecdotal evidence is better than experimental evidence!

I use Pilot Cartridges in my M90 which is reasonably wet. Each cartridge holds ~0.9ml, and I'll probably get about 18 A4 pages of notes out of a cartridge. With pages full from top to bottom with writing I'll get about 12 pages in my best approximation.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

So many factors play into it - the consistency of the ink, the size and flow of your nib, even the paper you use. It's going to be impossible to pin down a specific number that will work for everyone.

Thelonious Monk
Apr 2, 2008

Life and music: all about style.

Welsper posted:

Are you using a CON-20 in it?

Naturally. Why you ask?

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Thelonious Monk posted:

Naturally. Why you ask?

I thought you might be using a CON-50 by how fast you were running out of ink.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Got my new ink today!

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
Hey guys, heads up that Tomoe River paper is available at JetPens now.
I'm glad there is finally an easy way to get this paper that has been almost impossible to find, even in Japan.
For those not familiar with it: http://penaddict.com/blog/2013/6/3/tomoe-river-paper-review

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

RustedChrome posted:

Hey guys, heads up that Tomoe River paper is available at JetPens now.
I'm glad there is finally an easy way to get this paper that has been almost impossible to find, even in Japan.
For those not familiar with it: http://penaddict.com/blog/2013/6/3/tomoe-river-paper-review

Oh man screwed over by shipping again. I hate paying more on shipping than the product is worth. Guess I'll wait and see if it'll eventually come to shops in Europe. Or convince myself I need a new pen too, I guess!

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I've been looking at Tomoe river paper, and I think it's nice, but couldn't the same results be gained by something like onion skin paper or bible paper? I know that there are onion skin types that work very well with pen ink, so that could be a viable option for people who are not residents of the United States to save on shipping.

I've followed the link that RustedChrome posted, and then I found myself over here (http://hobonichilove.tumblr.com), a blog devoted to loving a daily planner that uses that Tomoe paper. It was pretty cool learning that Shigesato Itoi (creator of the video game Earthbound) has a hand in the creation of a daily planner, but the level of love (and I assume money too) devoted to a daily planner is funny to me.

Someone please point out that I'm writing from a fancy pen thread.

Edit: here's the onion skin paper that can be an alternative to Tomoe river paper. http://www.gourmetpens.com/2013/06/review-papermillstore-onion-skin-paper.html?m=1

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 21, 2013

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Hobonichi planners may be expensive, but look on the bright side ... even ordering from Japan, you won't be paying more for shipping than for the product!

(Assuming you get one of the covers as well, that is.)

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Daily planners are a Thing here in Japan, bordering for some people on a religious text. At many stores, if you don't pre-order your Hobonichi well in advance you aren't going to get squat.

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...
Japan may love planners, but I saw some pretty inferior pens in this Hobonichi ad. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWMQ0M_FSL8

Seriouspost: those planners are actually pretty neat.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Yeah, this all came up on the exact day (yesterday) that I had planned on ordering my 2014 Rhodia Web Planner. Ordered a Hobonichi instead, we'll see how it goes. I've been using the Rhodia for 3 years now and absolutely love them, the Hobonichi looks similar in principle, I'm excited to try it out.

It was right at $54 including shipping and a nice cover (not one of the crazy expensive ones, obviously) so that's not TOO bad I think.

asylum years
Feb 27, 2009

you knew i was a rattlesnake when you picked me up
I have no use for a daily planner, really, but those Hobonichi Techos have a certain charm to them that's tough to deny if you're the kind of person who appreciates subtlety and good design (like, the sort of person who would discuss fancy pens on the Internet with strangers.) The ARTS&SCIENCE leather covers are straight-up beautiful, too. Too bad they're five times as expensive as the planners themselves.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
So I got a little too excited when the Dragon's Napalm came in. While filling the pen, I got ink on my fingers. What do I do?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

asylum years
Feb 27, 2009

you knew i was a rattlesnake when you picked me up

dino. posted:

So I got a little too excited when the Dragon's Napalm came in. While filling the pen, I got ink on my fingers. What do I do?

Well, it is wild berry flavored.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

dino. posted:

Enjoy your awesomeness. Ink colored fingers are the best, especially not black ink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

dino. posted:

Tell your friends that you are an underground street fighter and that you have the literal blood of your enemies on your hands.

Or a little rubbing alcohol on a cotton swab, that does the trick sometimes.