Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Ernie Muppari posted:

Really? Huh, I guess the AI was just having a massive brainfart in addition to the game giving me the perfect "blow the crap out of everything" team. When the sectoid commander showed up it just took a pot shot at one of the security mooks before eating light. Also none of the mechtoids took a shot at my guys, preferring to rush up to point blank range through mass overwatch fire, bunch up, and then be completely helpless as they were pelted with my few remaining rockets/grenades/shot by heavy lasers.

Well I advanced to the guard-rail, which was a mistake, because that lets the Commanders get line-of-sight from across the drat room.

The Mechtoids were no problems and only the Cyberdiscs provided any sort of challenge (mostly thanks to their massive health pool).

e: Bruceski: I'm thinking more like this

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
Beagle tweeted my favorite moment from his stream, which basically counts as meld.avi :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlUM4VwLQzI

Numbnuts
May 20, 2012

God loving damnit.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

ZoninSilver posted:

Beagle tweeted my favorite moment from his stream, which basically counts as meld.avi :allears:

Jamball's constant sassing made that stream so perfect. As did Beagle constantly rushing for Meld and losing squad after squad of rookies.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Sectopod waiting for a bus.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Oh my god. I just had a MEC punch through a wall so my other one could charge through and light three thin men on fire.

I think that was the most cathartic thing I've ever done.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Alkydere posted:

I just played an EXALT Turkey Shoot mission (defend the transmitters) where between MEC fists, copious use of laser and three transmitters located very conveniently for constant "I cast fuckery" on EXALT, the first 15 out of the 16 EXALT didn't even get a chance to shoot.

The last guy runs into the middle of the capture area to shoot my Rookie at point blank for two hole damage. So my Rookie panics. I don't mind, he's a Rookie, getting shot hurts even if your armor takes the hit, etc.

Then one of my snipers and a support panics. *sigh* Really? The guy is in the kill zone, right next to Zang McFistPunchy, and close enough to both my rapid fire Assault and my Sniper who broke 100 aim at Lt. that this guy poses no threat.

I was getting all smug about EXALT missions until they got lasers too and then suddenly I started getting critically wounded soldiers and having some extremely intense fights.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Benagain posted:

Oh my god. I just had a MEC punch through a wall so my other one could charge through and light three thin men on fire.

I think that was the most cathartic thing I've ever done.
I love doing this so much. Burned out a shitton of Exalt doing this when I hit their base.

Anyone know what enemies the MEC gets a special animation on for punching kills? So far I've found the Berserker, Mechtoid, and Sectopod. Actually, the Sectopod one kinda sucks because it blowing up hurts the MEC, unlike when you punch cyberdiscs far enough away from you that it doesn't hurt.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Ravenfood posted:

I love doing this so much. Burned out a shitton of Exalt doing this when I hit their base.

Anyone know what enemies the MEC gets a special animation on for punching kills? So far I've found the Berserker, Mechtoid, and Sectopod. Actually, the Sectopod one kinda sucks because it blowing up hurts the MEC, unlike when you punch cyberdiscs far enough away from you that it doesn't hurt.

I'll take the Sectopod doing 3 damage to the MEC in return for the Sectopod being dead. The Sectopod buff is nasty.

Mr.Fuzzywig
Dec 13, 2006
I play too much Supcom

Alkydere posted:

I'll take the Sectopod doing 3 damage to the MEC in return for the Sectopod being dead. The Sectopod buff is nasty.

Sectopods cannot be allowed to live for any amount of turns really i hate them so much.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
Has anyone else had a bug where the Esc button stops working?

I lost like an hour of gameplay because I couldn't save my game after finishing the whale mission. That sucked.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ZoninSilver posted:

Do you have a link to the recording? I'd love to watch this. :allears:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Everything just went horribly wrong on my Classic Ironman run, mostly because i teched badly i think. Could anyone be bothered with giving me some techroute tips? Also i got like no meld at all cause i didnt wanna rush into ambushes liek the vid above.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Oh gently caress me running.

The majority of the alien base just rolled up on me in the space of two turns.

Turn one, after a hail of overwatch fire that took out the dead chrysalid you see here, begins like this:

Assaults killed the two remaining 'lids, my MEC was out of ammo and my C&P Assault still had a shot left. So I command my MEC to move in and prepare to punch the Mechtoid in the face and ohhhh gently caress:

Muton and 'zerker join the party. So, hammerfist the Zerker instead, finish him with one of my two off-screen Heavy Plasma gunners, finish the Mechtoid with the Assault's second shot. The other Heavy fires a rocket to kill the Muton's cover and the nearby Drone. Try to get my sniper into hard cover to finish the Muton off with his pistol, but the angles weren't having it. Of course the sniper is the one guy who doesn't have a grenade of his own.

ALIEN ACTIVITY...

oh hey guys I heard you were having a Chrysalid party!

MEC tanks a shot from the Muton and is down to critical health. Right-hand assault takes two crits from the drones and falls to critical health, the other Assault is out of ammo. At this point even the pissants are a serious threat to my two critical HP soldiers and I have to take them out this turn, I actually had my other Heavy spend her rocket on a single drone poo poo was that bad. Pulled my wounded assault out and cleaned up the Muton and 'lid with heavy plasma, cleaned the pissants up with sniper fire and Overwatch but jfc

The whole thing started when some Chrysalids phantom-activated all the way in the back of the map and then one of them somehow teleported behind us and thankfully got overwatched.

I wish I could say they've fixed the teleporting issues, but they haven't :( Made for an exciting couple of turns, though!

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 16, 2013

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Numbnuts posted:

God loving damnit.

I just screamed inside. :stare:

I've played marathon for so long I completely forgot what it was like to deal with Sectopods. Fighting them with the added buffs is horrifying.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

RBA Starblade posted:

Do you have a link to the recording? I'd love to watch this. :allears:

http://www.twitch.tv/miss_jamball/b/479824782

~4:05:00

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Alkydere posted:

It really is, and I do love MEC punching them to death.

Dongattack posted:

Everything just went horribly wrong on my Classic Ironman run, mostly because i teched badly i think. Could anyone be bothered with giving me some techroute tips? Also i got like no meld at all cause i didnt wanna rush into ambushes liek the vid above.
I went Meld->Cybernetics lab->MEC'd my first heavy, beelined lasers, then went back for foundry upgrades. I put up no satellites in the first month, but got up three in the second. Having a heavy MEC lets you push forward pretty aggressively and grab extra Meld. I also got pretty lucky on abduction mission locations so I didn't lose any countries, though it came close.

I ignored genemods almost entirely since they were too risky until I was high-level, and then I was saving up for a pair of t3 MEC suits. 5 Prox mines a mission is nasty, and the EMP module is also really, really good. That one-turn stun on all of the nasty enemies (Cyberdiscs, Mechtoids, and Sectopods) is just so good. I did finish genemodding an ITZ/snapshot sniper before I hit the alien base, and yeah, with all of the new cover-destroying abilities you have, they are, in my opinion, the most valuable sniper type, though squadsight ones do have their place, especially in the early game. Killing 4 Muton Elites in one turn and critting the next because your MEC blew up all of their cover is great, but my squadsight one also carried me through some really rough missions.

edit: Holy poo poo, three Sectopods at once? I hope you brought a lot of blasterbombs.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

OGS-Remix posted:

Has anyone else had a bug where the Esc button stops working?

I lost like an hour of gameplay because I couldn't save my game after finishing the whale mission. That sucked.

You mean on the Geoscape, or the Battlescape? I've had it lock up on the Battlescape at least twice, and only reloading a save fixed it. Never on the Geoscape, though.

Dongattack posted:

Weapon Fragments, Meld Recombination, Beam Weapons, Xeno-Biology, Arc Thrower, Alien Materials, Carapace Armor is how I went my last game. I don't like putting off the alien capture tech for too long because it means squandering the research credits, plus it denies you the option of rushing the Alien Base if panic starts spiraling out of control.

Ideally you capture a Sectoid and a Floater after getting the Arc Thrower, then you zip through Carapace Armor, Heavy Lasers, and Precision Lasers. Heavy Lasers pops before you start getting large UFOs, so you can equip your Interceptors with laser cannons to compensate. Alternatively, if you grab a Muton early (like from a Slingshot mission) you can grab Plasma very early, but I don't really recommend this unless you're really confident you can go without lasers for that long.

Although getting MECs early is a very strong strategy, I'm starting to think that rushing a Genetics Lab and Seeker Autopsy to get Mimetic Skin might be the better path. Mimetic Skin makes every aspect of the game easier, but it especially makes getting Meld safe and trivial. If you want to rush Gene Mods, go ahead and saturate South America with Satellites to get that instant autopsy bonus so that it doesn't cut into your other research needs.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Y'know, I never actually had a zombie pop out a new Chrysalid yet. I'm usually pretty good at killing the zombies before they pop.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Anyone tried going full Gene mods rather than investing some/all Meld in MECs? Just curious how powerful they are overall, it takes a lot more meld to beef up even half a squad versus maintaining one or two MECs, and while a couple of the gene mods are plain powerful, it seems the majority of them are kinda meh.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Ok I don't think there is any possible way for me to complete the base defense mission. Not if, for no reason at all, neither of my mech troopers are present for the first few turns. Those are kind of important!

Time to savescum the exalt base location and see if I can avoid this mess

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

Numbnuts posted:

God loving damnit.

Wow, you are absolutely boned in that mission. I hope you have a lot of rookies on the field to take the shelling and move on with your life.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Numbnuts posted:

God loving damnit.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Mr.Fuzzywig posted:

Sectopods cannot be allowed to live for any amount of turns really i hate them so much.

I think that's actually a flaw in the end game, to be honest. They're just so deadly you have to use everything to take them out instead of the intense back and forth firefights that you get with sectoids early game and mutons mid game.

But then again thin men are basically early game sectopods so what do I know.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Having 2 robot damage missile heavies definitely helps against the loving sectopod onslaught though.

Hitting a crowd of them with a shredder rocket followed by a regular rocket and your teammates cleaning up the leftovers is one of those beautiful moments.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That's why I 'enjoy' fighting Sectopods. Any careful, pre-mediated planning goes out the window as holy gently caress get all the guns on this loving thing right now take it out take it out loving NOW

It's a huge, huge spanner in the works.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
For anyone who's played tabletop wargames, sectopods are basically tanks going up against your ground forces.

Tanks in general are always "HOLY gently caress BAIL OUT/HIT IT WITH EVERYTHING." (Unless you have tanks. Then it's a tank duel.)

I understand why people complain about them, but I find them fun because I'm used to the 'mechanic' their addition introduces.

Caik
Oct 3, 2013

Cicadalek posted:

Time to savescum the exalt base location and see if I can avoid this mess

You can't. I destroyed EXALT way before i got the base defense mission.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Blah, got hit with a nasty fall through the world bug on my first mech in the new game. Thanks for the tech tips tho. Is there a way to keep a pre-mission save on Ironman incase of bugs? Like making a backup of the save at first turn or something, would that work?

Caik
Oct 3, 2013
You can Alt+F4 to redo your last turn, if you do it before the aliens finish their turn.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Need some advice for my classic ironman game:

This is at the end of month two and I'm unsure where to put my two satellites. Without a miracle I've lost the Asia bonus, so should I ignore that region entirely, get Brazil back down and focus on the remaining countries whose bonuses I can still get, or should I still put Satellites in Asia for the Engineers it'll get me?

edit; I chose Africa for my starting base.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'd suggest Argentina and Brazil for We Have Ways. It's a cheap, easy bonus that'll save you a lot of time and hopefully help get you back on track. Asia and Europe are probably the weakest bonuses IMO.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Caik posted:

You can Alt+F4 to redo your last turn, if you do it before the aliens finish their turn.

That would work if the bug is generated at the start of the turn atleast, i'm gonna try making a before mission backup also, see if that works if i get hit with a bug again.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Pierson posted:

I'd probably finish covering NA. You get a bit more money, and the SA bonus isn't too great.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I'm seeing a bunch of people in this thread are having trouble with the base defense mission. There's a really simple trick to it. Even if you don't have height advantage promotions or gene mods, altitude gives you a big bonus in accuracy and critical hit chance. Send all of your men to the upper floors. All of them. Put them on overwatch. From three floors up, even your rookies will be able to hit the enemy reliably and even get critical hits from time to time.

Every single room in that map has a significant vertical component. Take advantage of that.

Do this in that Paris convoy mission too. It will make dealing with high-accuracy thin men much easier.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
Man, I'm pissed. I had some council mission to put transponders on a train, and then it said I had to turn the train on at the controls. I moved a guy into the zone it highlighted, but it didn't end the mission or give me any kind of action to take. My turn ends and yup, I somehow fail the mission despite doing everything.

Ugh. That's not the fun way to lose, X-Com.

Robocop Horney
Feb 15, 2009

by T. Finninho

-Dethstryk- posted:

Man, I'm pissed. I had some council mission to put transponders on a train, and then it said I had to turn the train on at the controls. I moved a guy into the zone it highlighted, but it didn't end the mission or give me any kind of action to take. My turn ends and yup, I somehow fail the mission despite doing everything.

Ugh. That's not the fun way to lose, X-Com.

If you're not playing Ironman (never play Ironman for exactly this reason) you can often fix this bug by saving and reloading

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

misguided rage posted:

I'd probably finish covering NA. You get a bit more money, and the SA bonus isn't too great.

Given how much it unlocks now, I'd say it's good. Course that's only for early game.

Pierson posted:

How close are you to the base assault? If you are at least about ready, like have the key ready and everything, then hit brazil, then russia or something for more money.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Is it just me, or has the rate of abductions increased 300% or something? I'm halfway through the third month and I already have five countries leaving the project. I never had this problem playing vanilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robocop Horney
Feb 15, 2009

by T. Finninho

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Is it just me, or has the rate of abductions increased 300% or something? I'm halfway through the third month and I already have five countries leaving the project. I never had this problem playing vanilla.

The rate of missions in general seems to be severely increased. My X-Com is going through complete hell right now, we're at the end of Month 2 and I've just had a string of UFO mission, Council (Slingshot) mission, Panic mission, then another UFO, then the first terror mission, and now another UFO - during all of this time, less than one Geoscape day has passed and my entire A Squad has less than two days on their wounds and my first Gene Soldier has been less than two days from coming out of surgery.

It hasn't been fun and I hope it stops soon, because the tactical portion of this game is a hell of a lot less fun when it's just constant nonstop missions with no progression in between.

• Locked thread