Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

MrJacobs posted:

I linked a video earlier that should help. Basically, the easiest way is to use combat rooms with propane tanks, knock down two guys next to propane tank (which is easy if you just stand next to it. Wait for another guy to approach you and the other two... then zipline the third guy into a propane tank and all three are down.

What I did was an inverted takedown, which drew two goons to the body, they shouted, two more came up. I launched a triple batarang to knock down three, then used the remote claw to send the tank at the standing guy. First predator room in the GCPD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
You can also wait until three enemies are relatively close together, then use the remote claw to tether two together and knock them down, and then use it again to launch a propane tank at the one who is still standing. They wind up staying much closer together, and you don't have to change gadgets.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

DrBouvenstein posted:

Don't forget you need to do it three times. The challenge list is bad at telling you this, IIRC the only indication it needs to be done thrice is the "0/3" in the upper corner that's easy to miss.

This ended up being it. :suicide:

On a somewhat related note, this game is still pretty ridiculously buggy even with all of the patches that have gone out recently. In one of the rooms before the Firefly fight all of the enemies just decided to stop moving and completely ignore me, and after restarting from a checkpoint that was pretty far back from that the same exact thing happened when I got to the actual Firefly fight. I'm finished with the story now but I'm going to have to give this a few months until I go back and try to 100% it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
There's a location scripted in the story for the propane tank-3 challenge- on the way out of the steel mill, after taking out the assassin you fight there, a group of thugs appears in an ideal position to apply this challenge, with propane tank in position and everything.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
It would just be easier if all the Dark Knight challenges weren't tiered at all. Someone like me who is predator-challenged (3/15 while I'm done the rest) really doesn't feel like having to having to be stuck having to try every room exactly as the immediate challenge requires.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Sober posted:

It would just be easier if all the Dark Knight challenges weren't tiered at all. Someone like me who is predator-challenged (3/15 while I'm done the rest) really doesn't feel like having to having to be stuck having to try every room exactly as the immediate challenge requires.

No kidding. Making the challenges tiered is seriously killing the fun of it.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

MrJacobs posted:

I linked a video earlier that should help. Basically, the easiest way is to use combat rooms with propane tanks, knock down two guys next to propane tank (which is easy if you just stand next to it. Wait for another guy to approach you and the other two... then zipline the third guy into a propane tank and all three are down.

If that video is supposed to be what happens then challenge 6 is definitely bugged on the PC version. I tried the gcpd roof several times, taking out isolated enemies with an unseen cape stun beat down and getting away without being spotted, but it didn't work.

I used the sonic baterang to lure an enemy away. Would that have counted against it?

SnipeShow
Nov 7, 2009

That dance wasn't as safe as they said it was.

Ok, I've finally received support on my wbid issue. If I can find out what email I logged into the Injustice WBID with, I can have it manually removed from my system, and finally be allowed access to Batman costumes. Unfortunately, I don't have archives to see it, but it is supposedly right here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3545295

Would anyone with access be willing to just click that link and tell me the email? It kills me that wbid support couldn't figure it out themselves.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
You would think after seeing the riddler challenges in the other arkham games, this team would get the idea of not locking challenges until they are completed. Stupidest loving game design decision ever made. Hell any physical challenge in city could be done anytime. The fact that the challenges are tied to story and predator rooms are empty once done is really also loving stupid.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

SnipeShow posted:

Ok, I've finally received support on my wbid issue. If I can find out what email I logged into the Injustice WBID with, I can have it manually removed from my system, and finally be allowed access to Batman costumes. Unfortunately, I don't have archives to see it, but it is supposedly right here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3545295

Would anyone with access be willing to just click that link and tell me the email? It kills me that wbid support couldn't figure it out themselves.

sainjustice@gmail.com

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Well, finished the story, completed the 4 main sidequests, captured the 20 most wanted....and just felt very underwhelmed. Between the changes to combat, the tiered gadgets and challenges, it feeling like the grapple gadget is only able to attach to 50% of the buildings in the world and the various other glitches I encountered, I decided that I didn't really have a desire to replay it. Ended up getting $35 towards a PS4 game which worked out nicely. I'll just go back to AA and AC to get my batman fixes. It's too bad to have AC come out and be such a solid game then to have several steps taken backward with AO.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Kloaked00 posted:

Well, finished the story, completed the 4 main sidequests, captured the 20 most wanted....and just felt very underwhelmed. Between the changes to combat, the tiered gadgets and challenges, it feeling like the grapple gadget is only able to attach to 50% of the buildings in the world and the various other glitches I encountered, I decided that I didn't really have a desire to replay it. Ended up getting $35 towards a PS4 game which worked out nicely. I'll just go back to AA and AC to get my batman fixes. It's too bad to have AC come out and be such a solid game then to have several steps taken backward with AO.

AC is a great game for the gameplay, but trying to replay it after I finished Origins makes the story and characters seem laughably bad. I never realized just how much I disliked the story in AC until now.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

DrNutt posted:

AC is a great game for the gameplay, but trying to replay it after I finished Origins makes the story and characters seem laughably bad. I never realized just how much I disliked the story in AC until now.

I don't see why. I mean AC is still the best licensed game ever made, and the plot is exactly what it should be: a lovely reason to have Batman beat the gently caress out of a bunch of his villains. It was the same in Origins, but slightly better since they had the whole Assassins plot to make it seem slightly less ridiculous. I do agree about the characterization, but the plots are just as good as they need to be.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

MrJacobs posted:

I don't see why. I mean AC is still the best licensed game ever made, and the plot is exactly what it should be: a lovely reason to have Batman beat the gently caress out of a bunch of his villains. It was the same in Origins, but slightly better since they had the whole Assassins plot to make it seem slightly less ridiculous. I do agree about the characterization, but the plots are just as good as they need to be.

They had all these characters milling about and no one ever really did anything interesting. Oh, hey, it's Robin! Oh, bye Robin! Oh, Catwoman and Poison Ivy, this looks interesting! Oh, guess we won't be seeing you again for another 20 hours or so. Oh man, Azrael, awesome! Oh, he uh, stands in place and you have to pixel hunt to find him.

I'm replaying it right now and I keep stopping to play challenge rooms because I realized how much of the plot I actively dislike. I think the only section of the game I really enjoyed was the Wonder City part, just because it had a really cool aesthetic, and I'm not really familiar with the League of Shadows stuff beyond the Nolan films.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

SnipeShow posted:

What's the process for linking these up anyway? I can't see anything in the OP.

This unlocks some additional skins in single player Origins right?

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Are the major bugs gone for the most part now? I've held of playing due to this thread ~2 weeks ago.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

EconOutlines posted:

Are the major bugs gone for the most part now? I've held of playing due to this thread ~2 weeks ago.

I asked this recently and people said yes, but then I hopped in and tried to unlock the Shadow Vigilante Rank 9 challenge that was refusing to unlock for me, and I still couldn't get it unlocked despite multiple crime reports where I pulled it off with a minimal (read: zero) delay.

Unless those unlocks are tied to story progression and you can't unlock certain ranks until you hit some point in the story (that's not one that requires a gadget) then nope, it's still broken, sadly.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Fuzz posted:

I asked this recently and people said yes, but then I hopped in and tried to unlock the Shadow Vigilante Rank 9 challenge that was refusing to unlock for me, and I still couldn't get it unlocked despite multiple crime reports where I pulled it off with a minimal (read: zero) delay.

Unless those unlocks are tied to story progression and you can't unlock certain ranks until you hit some point in the story (that's not one that requires a gadget) then nope, it's still broken, sadly.

So, as long as you don't attempt the arduous challange system it's fine? Because that is far from a major bug like falling through the city or being straight unable to complete certain mandatory sections of the game. I'm fairly sure those have been fixed, but the only major bug I've had in 2 playthroughs is some riddler goons glitching so I can't interrogate them and that's post-game only.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

MrJacobs posted:

So, as long as you don't attempt the arduous challange system it's fine? Because that is far from a major bug like falling through the city or being straight unable to complete certain mandatory sections of the game. I'm fairly sure those have been fixed, but the only major bug I've had in 2 playthroughs is some riddler goons glitching so I can't interrogate them and that's post-game only.

I've patched and patched ( I was being stupid about steam updates when I posted earlier) but now, after restarting the game because I couldn't counter Joker at the end. Now, the new game I can't lift the loving rubble off Alfred. All poo poo you can't swerve or ignore.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Speaking of bugs, I managed to find one that was CRAZY repeatable for me.

In the Bank predator room (in the story...for me, I only noticed it during the Deadshot version, not sure if it's there the first time through.)

I was doing a "reverse ledge" takedown, or whatever it's called. The goon was right below the ledge you can do it on in the room (the two ledges that are on the left and right from the front when you first enter, below the walkway.)

If the goon was right at the corner and I did the takedown, I'd go into "fall through the floor/world forever" bug. Thankfully, restarting the encounter fixed it...but I was able to repeat it at least four times on the ledges on both sides.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Ever since starting New Game+, my desire to play has died. I'm just going to finish off the last Worst Nightmare challenge so I can get the achievment for it and sell it back for store credit.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Right, it looks like Alfred has had his chips. Can't do anything, tried remapping, restarting, rebooting, everything. I am hosed if I am going to play the whole thing through again anytime soon. So disappointing.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Is there a way to change the control inputs in this game? I'm dumb and can't find it.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

DrNutt posted:

I agree that AO has a better story. But the better gameplay is what I'd be replaying it for.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Well, just tried to get predator challenge 8 (don't get spotted, don't use detective vision) in the GCPD predator on new game+ and failed because i was allegedly spotted once (i wasn't).

Can i replay it? Nope, because as soon as you complete it to see if you met it's crapshoot of a criteria, it autosaves. One more predator room down from the handful remaining until i'm in I am the night mode.

Why the devs haven't released a patch to let you use the challenge rooms for this stuff yet is silly.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

THE CHORSE posted:

This is a game in which you play a billionaire flying around a city on Christmas Eve beating up homeless people for being homeless. Game of the year.

From a few pages back, but I laughed when I read this. Myself and my roommate had the same chat about arkham city while particularly inebriated a year or so ago. We mused many of the prisoners were probably down on their luck homeless guys and wrongfully imprisoned minorities who got swept up into gang wars in the dog eat dog world of arkham city.

Then origins came along and kind of drove that comparison home. I have moral reservations about batman now.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Poizen Jam posted:

From a few pages back, but I laughed when I read this. Myself and my roommate had the same chat about arkham city while particularly inebriated a year or so ago. We mused many of the prisoners were probably down on their luck homeless guys and wrongfully imprisoned minorities who got swept up into gang wars in the dog eat dog world of arkham city.

Then origins came along and kind of drove that comparison home. I have moral reservations about batman now.

See I'd agree a lot more with that if 99% of the dudes you see on the streets didn't try to kill you as soon as they spot you.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Poizen Jam posted:

It's sometimes worse than that, too. I remember two guys talking about wanting to become accountants or something "to help guys like us clean up their act" and because he liked sorting things into columns (or something like that), but one of them ended up being a Riddler Enigma informant so I swooped down and beat the poo poo out of them. That'll learn 'em for wanting to rehabilitate and help others :colbert:

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The comics handwave this by having Wayne industries work towards hiring ex-thugs and the such.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Quite a few recent Batman writers have really pushed that angle. Lots and lots of "Batman is basically a fascist" ramblings, which never struck me as particularly accurate. Part of the fun with Batman is how at odds his personality and mission statement are. He's a buttoned down extremely logical fighter, but his entire mission is "No one in Gotham will go through what happened to me."

So I always laugh my head off when authors try and follow that argument to its logical end point. It's not a logical "Great power, great responsibility" mantra - it's an emotionally driven almost whimsical attempt to push back against the forces that molded him.

I too replayed Arkham City, and I actually found myself appreciating the story more. I get all the flaws that people have pointed out; its a story that uses WAY too much shorthand to get the plot moving - if you didn't grow up with the comics or BTAS I shudder to imagine how incoherent the whole thing must feel.

But drat, Arkham City swung for the fences. Though there are nods, winks, and lifts to all sorts of Batman stories (No Man's Land is probably the closest inspiration) it really does feel fully unique. The plotting bursts with ideas, and takes the character's to some very interesting places.

By contrast, Origins is a much more cohesive tale. But it's also one I've read a BILLION TIMES. Oh, you mean the Joker's rise in power signals the end of the average mobster's tenure in Gotham? You mean to tell me that Gordon and Batman don't get along, but then they do? Shocker.

I'm all for remixing past elements into your new creation, but the end product also has to push on the character's boundaries, if ever so gently. I literally howled at the screen at Origin's ending - nearly a word for word plagiarization of Gordon's speech at the end of The Dark Knight.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Trying I Am The Night again, found this neat little bit I missed the first time around.

This is in Calendar Man's cell. It seems she just can't help but be drawn to the weird ones. :allears:

Just to be absurdly specific - that's a note scribbled by Harleen Quinzel and left for the Calendar Man. Highly unprofessional for her to be slipping him notes like that, and an incredibly inappropriate message given he is a psychotic holiday-obsessed murderer. But there it is, right out there in the open for anybody to see.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Nov 17, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

CharlestonJew posted:

See I'd agree a lot more with that if 99% of the dudes you see on the streets didn't try to kill you as soon as they spot you.

If I knew there was a good chance some dude in a costume was going to swoop down from the sky and cave in my skull, I'd try to kill that motherfucker on sight too.

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011

raditts posted:

If I knew there was a good chance some dude in a costume was going to swoop down from the sky and cave in my skull, I'd try to kill that motherfucker on sight too.

Or they could just cower in the corner and batman will leave them alone :colbert:

One of my favorite things about the arkham games is listening to the banter between the thugs waiting around. There's one bit in AC where this dude does an amazing impression of Harley and Joker:
"Oh hurt me some more Mr J!"
"Distract them my dear, while I make a daring escape!"

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Kaizer88 posted:

Or they could just cower in the corner and batman will leave them alone :colbert:

It'd be really cool if the Arkham games had something like the Punisher game's interrogation system, except because it's Batman it'd be like "quick knockout, brutal knockout, let them go, string up on nearest gargoyle in screaming panic" instead of five flavors of brutal execution after they're broken.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Kaizer88 posted:

One of my favorite things about the arkham games is listening to the banter between the thugs waiting around. There's one bit in AC where this dude does an amazing impression of Harley and Joker:
"Oh hurt me some more Mr J!"
"Distract them my dear, while I make a daring escape!"

I think that was John DiMaggio

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011

Trickjaw posted:

I think that was John DiMaggio

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1484330/?ref_=tt_cl_t4

Might be this guy. He does that thick new yorker brute thug

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I got the humble bundle and just beat arkham asylum for the first time. Great game. Definately one of my all time favorites now.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Another issue with Batman's morality in the Arkham series; his knock outs are practically neck breaking smacks.

For a dude who's core principal is supposedly 'don't kill anyone', he's more than willing to put them in a wheelchair for life, or put them in a dangerous situation where death is likely.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Poizen Jam posted:

Another issue with Batman's morality in the Arkham series; his knock outs are practically neck breaking smacks.

For a dude who's core principal is supposedly 'don't kill anyone', he's more than willing to put them in a wheelchair for life, or put them in a dangerous situation where death is likely.

I remember there used to be idle conversations between crooks in AC lamenting how they just got their asses handed to them a few hours before by Bats and they seemed no worse for wear. You can assume Arkham Batman's moves are mostly just theatrical nightmare fuel if you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Poizen Jam posted:

Omelettes>eggs.

• Locked thread