Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

MJP posted:

So as the VCP course is going on, I just took an offer for a job that runs a XenDesktop environment.

What's the Xen cert course track like? I've run XenApp and ICA environments, mostly just logging off sessions and futzing with worker groups before, but I'm not as deep into it as I am VCP thus far.

Most XenDesktop deployments are on vSphere. If you're running it on XenServer, I feel bad for you, son. At least go Hyper-V.

The new Citrix exams are on XD7 which is a lot different from legacy XenApp environments. They also just changed the entire setup of them.

three fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gooble Gobble
May 2, 2011

One of us
I'm thinking about scheduling the 30 day Penetration Testing with BackTrack lab then taking the OSCP exam over Christmas break. I know they had some Pentesting with Kali courses at Blackhat, but I don't know when it will become available online and I'm not sure it's worth waiting for anyway. As far as time and experience goes I have at least 5 hours per weekday + weekends to work on it and I have relevant security experience, just none writing reports.

Anyone here who has the OSCP and thinks this isn't doable? I'm planning for the 30 day one because I'm paying for it out of my own pocket ($$$) and after January I won't have any time for it.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Any idea when the MCITP: Server Admin\Enterprise Admin certifications will be updated for 2012 technologies?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I was under the impression they had been out for some time already?

mim
Apr 25, 2010

lol internet. posted:

Any idea when the MCITP: Server Admin\Enterprise Admin certifications will be updated for 2012 technologies?

They redid the certification names, MCITP SA and EA are dead. MCSA and MCSE are back and the replacements for them. See http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/mcsa-windows-server-certification.aspx and http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/mcse-server-infrastructure-certification.aspx.

The MCSA 2012 (there is a 2008 version, it is just a renamed MCITP:SA) is a prereq for all of the various MCSE flavors. There's MCSE Server, Desktop, SharePoint, Private Cloud, Messaging, and Communication versions, each specializing in a different technology.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

mim posted:

They redid the certification names, MCITP SA and EA are dead. MCSA and MCSE are back and the replacements for them. See http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/mcsa-windows-server-certification.aspx and http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/mcse-server-infrastructure-certification.aspx.

The MCSA 2012 (there is a 2008 version, it is just a renamed MCITP:SA) is a prereq for all of the various MCSE flavors. There's MCSE Server, Desktop, SharePoint, Private Cloud, Messaging, and Communication versions, each specializing in a different technology.

Oh okay, didn't realize they brought it back to MCSA. I thought the first page was just not kept up to date heh as it mentioned it there. Recertification every 3 years.. it would take some people a year+ to get the MCSE.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

You shoot for the fast-track cert (70-417). It may take longer to study, but its one test/cert.

workape
Jul 23, 2002

Gordian posted:

I'm thinking about scheduling the 30 day Penetration Testing with BackTrack lab then taking the OSCP exam over Christmas break. I know they had some Pentesting with Kali courses at Blackhat, but I don't know when it will become available online and I'm not sure it's worth waiting for anyway. As far as time and experience goes I have at least 5 hours per weekday + weekends to work on it and I have relevant security experience, just none writing reports.

Anyone here who has the OSCP and thinks this isn't doable? I'm planning for the 30 day one because I'm paying for it out of my own pocket ($$$) and after January I won't have any time for it.

If you do this, please report back. OSCP is on my list of wants, but what I really want to do is take the time to take the training. Cert would be a nice to have.

quicksand
Nov 21, 2002

A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.

workape posted:

If you do this, please report back. OSCP is on my list of wants, but what I really want to do is take the time to take the training. Cert would be a nice to have.

Me too. Keep us all updated.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

incoherent posted:

You shoot for the fast-track cert (70-417). It may take longer to study, but its one test/cert.

If you have the 2k8 MCSA/MCSE/MCITP:Server Admin/Enterprise Admin, yeah, the 417 is the way to go. The MS Press book was decent enough with home-labbing it, but no firm word on R2-updated content or when R2 content goes into the tests as of yet.

jane came by
Jun 29, 2013

by Fistgrrl
So what's the best option right now for getting an MCSA...go for the 2008 and then upgrade or just dive into the 2012 series of tests?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

jane came by posted:

So what's the best option right now for getting an MCSA...go for the 2008 and then upgrade or just dive into the 2012 series of tests?

I'd say so. If you've used 2008 for a year or so, the 2k8 MCSA is a great way to not get overwhelmed with the 2k12 new stuff plus the basics (DNS, DHCP, Windows networking - because MS seriously thinks people use nothing but Windows for routers/switches/remote access gateways and services, virtualization, etc.) and by the time you do the exams, hopefully R2 will be mature enough for books to be out on it. It's probably the upcoming R2 that stopped Sybex and others from having a 70-417 only book. MS Press is OK, though, even if you aren't big on MS Press in the past.

I can speak directly to the effectiveness of the Sybex 70-646 book - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0470293152/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 That was the shining point of the upgrade process from 2k3 MCSA to 2k8. It was a strong pass with that book and my day-to-day experience.

Gooble Gobble
May 2, 2011

One of us

quicksand posted:

Me too. Keep us all updated.

Will do. About to plop down the monies right now. The plan is 30 days of lab starting on the 23rd of Nov, then hopefully I can schedule my exam around the 27th-28th of Dec. I don't know if they have a holiday schedule or anything though.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else finish the Stanly course material and glad as hell they didn't buy the textbook?

I really wish I could have written a check to VMware and been eligible to get the cert via the books alone.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

MJP posted:

Anyone else finish the Stanly course material and glad as hell they didn't buy the textbook?

I really wish I could have written a check to VMware and been eligible to get the cert via the books alone.

I'm still waiting for them to open the last three modules up so I can finish the material.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

I'm not sure if this is the best thread for it but I'm looking for some career advice. I want to do something in networking, would I be able to get an entry level job with a CCNA? What does an entry level job even look like and what is the salary like?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

MJP posted:

My work paid for it all so I don't really care, but I haven't cracked the book yet. I did the first 3 quizzes based just on my existing VMware experience.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
When I took the fall course they never opened the last 3, I even checked back on the final day and they still weren't open.

Might want to send a JMail to the instructor and see if you're finished.

AtmaHorizon
Apr 3, 2012

Too Poetic posted:

I'm not sure if this is the best thread for it but I'm looking for some career advice. I want to do something in networking, would I be able to get an entry level job with a CCNA? What does an entry level job even look like and what is the salary like?

You failed to list your skillset/experience. Assuming there is none, look for internship position to see if you really like networking.
After that consider getting certified.

Entry job:

- patching cables
- cloning devices (one config to rule them all; minding ip addressing differences)
- minor troubleshooting
- a lot of legwork

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

Too Poetic posted:

I work for a MSO (ISP/cable company) and we hire people with CCNAs directly into engineering if they have some experience or an employee recommendation. If you dont have experience, look for NOC jobs, (Network Operation Centers). That will get you exposure to an MSOs entire network and you can transfer into one of the engineering teams later.

We also have an internship program and recruit directly at college job fairs. I go to those a couple times a year, talk to people, and collect resumes. We look for people who show an interest in networking with any kind of IT/Engineering degree in progress.

Otherwise, you can take the route I did. I went helpdesk -> networking. I did minor networking work at the help desk, got my ccna, then ccnp, and applied to the MSO I work at now.

It's actually fairly easy to get into networking if you dont cheat at the tests, know what youre talking about, and have a decent personality.

edit:

Salary for a NOC job is hourly, probably 18-22/hour. CCNA not required but would get you in a lot easier.

Operations Engineering (CCNA) starts around 50k, CCNP gets you 65-90, and ranges up to 130+ with a CCIE. This is in Florida.

edit2:
Just noticed your bath salts title. May want to get that fixed before you go job hunting.

bad boys for life fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Nov 14, 2013

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I'm still waiting for them to open the last three modules up so I can finish the material.

Really? Mine opened Monday AMish. I guess it's in different chunks?

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

MJP posted:

Really? Mine opened Monday AMish. I guess it's in different chunks?

I emailed the instructor and when I checked this afternoon the last modules were open. Probably a case of being overlooked, so no harm.

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007
Buy Dr. Quack's miracle juice! Now with patented H-twenty!
I just took and passed SPCORE. The exam actually felt easier then ROUTE or SWITCH, because the scope is more limited. This might also be due to the fact that Idid a week long course, instead of group study. Next up, SPEDGE & SPADVROUTE.

Why does spedge sound like a bodily fluid?

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

bad boys for life posted:

I work for a MSO (ISP/cable company) and we hire people with CCNAs directly into engineering if they have some experience or an employee recommendation. If you dont have experience, look for NOC jobs, (Network Operation Centers). That will get you exposure to an MSOs entire network and you can transfer into one of the engineering teams later.

We also have an internship program and recruit directly at college job fairs. I go to those a couple times a year, talk to people, and collect resumes. We look for people who show an interest in networking with any kind of IT/Engineering degree in progress.

Otherwise, you can take the route I did. I went helpdesk -> networking. I did minor networking work at the help desk, got my ccna, then ccnp, and applied to the MSO I work at now.

It's actually fairly easy to get into networking if you dont cheat at the tests, know what youre talking about, and have a decent personality.

edit:

Salary for a NOC job is hourly, probably 18-22/hour. CCNA not required but would get you in a lot easier.

Operations Engineering (CCNA) starts around 50k, CCNP gets you 65-90, and ranges up to 130+ with a CCIE. This is in Florida.

edit2:
Just noticed your bath salts title. May want to get that fixed before you go job hunting.
I appreciate the info thank you. Bath salts title is because goons are weird.

Canadian Maniac
Jun 25, 2000

TKovacs2 posted:

Came home today to find an envelope from Pearson on the table. Assumed it was one of those silly VCA certs, but it turned out to be the results of the Mobility+ beta exam I took way back in May. Turns out I comfortably passed! 782, needed a 720 out of 900 to pass.

Good way to begin the weekend if nothing else.

I seem to be the only person to get no email or letter from Pearson Vue regarding Mobility+. I logged into their site, saw the passing mark, and then two days later I got the CompTIA email asking me to verify my address so that they can send the certificate kit.

Jelmylicious posted:

I just took and passed SPCORE. The exam actually felt easier then ROUTE or SWITCH, because the scope is more limited. This might also be due to the fact that Idid a week long course, instead of group study. Next up, SPEDGE & SPADVROUTE.

Why does spedge sound like a bodily fluid?

I'm taking a 5 day SPROUTE course in two weeks and I can't say I'm looking forward to it, I told myself I wasn't going to pursue Service Provider any further than Associate (I write the SPNGN 2 exam next Wednesday). However, paid Cisco training from work can be highly addicting. Just when you think you're out, they pull you back in!

Canadian Maniac fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 16, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
FFFFFFFFFFF the DCD is harder than I thought; I wish poo poo wasn't so laggy!

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

FFFFFFFFFFF the DCD is harder than I thought; I wish poo poo wasn't so laggy!

Are... are you posting from the test center somehow? haha

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

1000101 posted:

Are... are you posting from the test center somehow? haha

No, posting from my home pc.

Oh wait was that a joke on the fact that some of the "do X" is so delayed?

Also Hope people in the ICM classes now take it pre jan 1st for VCP5, I feel you may want to take it before the end of Feb at latest.

Rematch at Pex gently caress YOU DCD; maybe because I am closer to home base it will be less laggy?

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Nov 16, 2013

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

Also Hope people in the ICM classes now take it pre jan 1st for VCP5, I feel you may want to take it before the end of Feb at latest.

Rematch at Pex gently caress YOU DCD; maybe because I am closer to home base it will be less laggy?

Did you already get your results back?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Pearsonvue site is down right when I want to take that VCADCV test.

Oh, and now my exam has expired. Can I renew it?

Swink fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 17, 2013

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Swink posted:

Pearsonvue site is down right when I want to take that VCADCV test.

Oh, and now my exam has expired. Can I renew it?

Yeah - just wait until tomorrow morning and you can register for it again. Same thing happened to me, and it was all good the next day.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
So I won't have to dig up a new promo code?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Swink posted:

So I won't have to dig up a new promo code?

You may need a new promo code, but there's plenty of them to spare.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Probably not less laggy. The test is administered via PearsonVue not VMware directly.

The VCAP-DCD has a lot of questions that basically test your attention to detail more than anything. That and the diagramming questions are probably the trickiest aspects of the tests.

When you're taking the exam don't think "what's the best practice or most practical way of achieving what is asked" but instead think "what will do exactly what was asked to the letter."

Also you may have noticed a few questions may have strayed away from strictly VMware stuff. It may have asked about specific types of applications on the test or assumed knowledge of things like WAN link speeds.

Where do you feel it most kicked you in the balls outside of lovely responsiveness from the testing application?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

1000101 posted:

When you're taking the exam don't think "what's the best practice or most practical way of achieving what is asked" but instead think "what will do exactly what was asked to the letter."

Next time I am going to ask "how would I solve it" vs thinking the "How would the VMware answer solve it". I think I'll do better.

quote:

Where do you feel it most kicked you in the balls outside of lovely responsiveness from the testing application?

Overthinking the whole drat thing looking for the "vmware answer" rather than just answering it the way I talk to clients....

three posted:

Did you already get your results back?

http://mylearn.vmware.com/portals/certification/faqs.cfm

quote:

passed a VCAP design exam. When can I expect to receive notice of my certification?
Candidates taking the VCAP-DCD, VCAP-DTD, or VCAP-CID exam receive a pass/fail report when they complete their exam at the testing center. Please expect 10-15 business days from your exam date for the notification of your certification status. Please expect up to six weeks for delivery of your printed certificate after confirmation of your address.

I took it for kicks, but I think I'm going to give up drinking for a while because I need to better myself in network/storage/virtualization. I want to be at the top of my game when I move to Charlotte or wherever I move to.

I want to cert up, get smarter, and move out of where I am. I really just want to get a good job where i focus on virtualization/network/storage as my primary function

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 18, 2013

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

CrazyLittle posted:

You may need a new promo code, but there's plenty of them to spare.

None of them are valid anymore, and the ones that are arent valid for Australia. Dumb.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Reminder: For those who signed up for the Server Virtualization w/ Windows Server Hyper-V & System Center Jump Start it kicks off tomorrow. They've closed registration, but there is a second replay + free voucher on the 25 and 26. Sign up here. You'll need to watch all of it to get the voucher so no just signing up and just getting a voucher sent to you.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

incoherent posted:

Reminder: For those who signed up for the Server Virtualization w/ Windows Server Hyper-V & System Center Jump Start it kicks off tomorrow. They've closed registration, but there is a second replay + free voucher on the 25 and 26. Sign up here. You'll need to watch all of it to get the voucher so no just signing up and just getting a voucher sent to you.

Is this thing seriously in the middle of the night? :what:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Is this thing seriously in the middle of the night? :what:

"We will re-broadcast the event on November 25 & 26 from 11:00pm Pacific until approximately 3:30am each day." Hahahaha holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

poo poo, I didn't see PM. Now the wording for the Asian and middle eastern techs make sense.

e: from the email

quote:

If you are joining tomorrow’s event from EMEA or APAC please note:
Due to the popularity of the event and to accommodate participants from EMEA and APAC during working hours, we have scheduled a replay of the sessions live on November 25th & 26th starting at 11:00pm PST

incoherent fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 19, 2013