Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

hhhmmm posted:

The psi-ability panic has improved A LOT with EW. It used to be that panic'ed aliens would either shot you or run away - neither are beneficial. Now they hunker down and down shot at anything, which is perfect.

I kinda wish it did make the enemy retreat still because I use it like psychic flush to overwatch people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Mortabis posted:

The first progeny mission seems to be busting a lot of balls.

They really pegged where to drop the last few thin men in. Basically right next to the VIP (in one of my playthroughs of that mission, exactly next to the VIP. "Hi.").

Also, how does one both keep pace with the hellish 'lid drop rate in Newfoundland and actually run past them to the extraction zone? I'm seriously considering nominating a "Volunteer" for that mission.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

ulmont posted:

They really pegged where to drop the last few thin men in. Basically right next to the VIP (in one of my playthroughs of that mission, exactly next to the VIP. "Hi.").

Also, how does one both keep pace with the hellish 'lid drop rate in Newfoundland and actually run past them to the extraction zone? I'm seriously considering nominating a "Volunteer" for that mission.

I did the 'lid mission with no casualties by having one of my men run to the control panel while the rest stood outside on buildings with overwatch and my mec shelled the gently caress out of the 'lid eggs with grenades luring them outside for the trap. If you dash you will be out of range of the lids attack every time so once I hit the button it was basically 'BAIL THE gently caress OUT' and everybody on the map was put at full dash towards the zone every turn. They all arrived at roughly the same time and ever 'lid got a face full of thermobarics.

A well placed grenade will pop four lids in one go without activating them.

hhhmmm
Jan 1, 2006
...?

Motherfucker posted:

I kinda wish it did make the enemy retreat still because I use it like psychic flush to overwatch people.

You really, really do not want to send activated aliens into the fog of war.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

ulmont posted:

5 men stand right next to the whale on overwatch while one of them goes to push the button. Preferably your sniper is the one who runs and pushes it simply because he has further to go at the end and when you're running away he can't shoot as well anyway, so might as well double-move him.

Split your team into groups of three, which we'll call team 1 and team 2. Team 1 will double-move the first turn and team 2 will single-move. Team 2 shoots any chryssalids in sight and overwatches with any spare moves. Use grenades when you can. On move 2, switch places; the team 1 will single move and shoot/overwatch while team 2 double-moves. Keep those roles again for turn 3 so team 2 overtakes team 1, then repeat. This way you get 1.5 moves of progress each turn while still shooting the 'lids.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
So. Gene-modded soldiers are really good early on. I wanted to try an alternative to rushing MECs since that's what I did on my last game, and this time I wound up grooming two Assaults early on to use Rapid Fire + Assault Rifles + Reaper Rounds with the mod that improves chance to hit if they miss and let's them regenerate rapidly. I basically wound up with a crazy black ops alien kidnapping hit squad, easily picking up enough captives to get early Light Plasma which, with Scope and Reload upgrades at the Foundry turns Assaults into crit rolling murder machines. Still probably not as good as MECs but totally viable and super fun.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

ulmont posted:

I had a MEC rocket boot up from the pier to the control room of the ship, then once his boots were ready again he jumped down to his buddies and everyone walked back down the pier to the skyranger. Only had to shoot 3-4 'lids on the way back. I imagine it's much harder if you take your whole team up into the town and across the deck of the ship to activate the transponder.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ulmont posted:

I did it on classic with no casualties on my first attempt, so I didn't know what was coming. I entered the ship through the hole in the hull, got the thing about the airstrike, then rushed by speedy support up there to initiate it. I wasn't really set up well for a speedy retreat. I made sure everyone spent at least one movement point every turn moving as far towards the evac point as they could before shooting, if they had to shoot. I had laser weaponry and I was basically able to project enough firepower while retreating that no chrysalid ever survived longer than one turn while in my sights. This gave me a few turns where I was able to have everyone sprint safely. Once I was halfway there, I was basically able to spend the next couple turns sprinting without them catching up and got out of there with a turn to spare.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Had my most :xcom: moment to date. My assault had 100% chance to hit a muton. I wanted that bastard dead, so I went for a rapid fire. 98%. Both missed. Friend who I told ran the numbers, and informs me that there's only a 0.04% chance of that happened. One in ten thousand. That's some god-tier (un)luck right there!

MechPlasma
Jan 30, 2013
I did it by moving one full movement at a time while killing all the Chrissys that appear, using an invisible grenade once I got to the ender of the... tanker? (top floor), and then ran like begorrah once I realised I had 4 turns left and only just got off the boat!

I really liked that mission, it was fun!

Also, I have somehow ended up with half my available soldiers all being Heavy. I don't know how. Oh, and I turned Mr. China into a kick-rear end robot, like I said I would. Fun times!

It's actually a good idea (for Classic or Impossible) because of his particularly high HP. He makes a real good tank!

MechPlasma fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 17, 2013

hhhmmm
Jan 1, 2006
...?

ulmont posted:

The unit drops are mostly predictable after a few council missions. It's always triggered on the movement of one of your own units.

The scripted missions are the unenjoyable but very easy once you realise how they work. The dropping down units on overwatch is just a terrible game-mechanic. I really don't understand why they added more of that in the exalt missions.

ulmont posted:

MECs with kinetic strike kill one 'lid each turn without reloading. So two MEC's can keep the storage bay clear for a few turns without breaking a sweat.

Soldiers have a movement rate of 12(?), which with dash is 24 squares. 'lids have a movement of 20 and can't attack you if they move twice. So you can mostly outrun them since they won't move in front of your team to ensure a hit on the next turn.

Aenslaed
Mar 29, 2004
Nonfactor

Mortabis posted:

Only if you have the beacon thing that attracts enemies to a position. Because it's tricky to predict where enemies will go, ambushing is actually kind of hard and not worth it. It's more about attacking a position.

Actually, with a melee MEC, ambushing with mimetic skin is so easy and rewarding. Have your mimetic skin character (mine was a support with movement bonus) rush through doorways into high cover (you do need to memorize room layouts or just run up against any wall) and just sit them there doing no action. Then you line up your dudes on the other side of a wall which will provide the best angle of attack and just punch the wall down. Best part is if they aren't auto overwatch units, they'll automatically move so any of your guys on overwatch behind the wall will shoot at the flanked enemies. The support also has the arc thrower so since she's right there in the room, it makes approaching for the stun much much easier on the next turn.

In open field, this doesn't work as well, but the mimetic skin will mean that you always fight on your own terms.

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.

Meis posted:

Had my most :xcom: moment to date. My assault had 100% chance to hit a muton. I wanted that bastard dead, so I went for a rapid fire. 98%. Both missed. Friend who I told ran the numbers, and informs me that there's only a 0.04% chance of that happened. One in ten thousand. That's some god-tier (un)luck right there!

Since each shot is an independent event, shouldn't the chance for both of them to miss be 1-(0.98*0.98)=.0396? So it's about a 4% chance, not 0.04%.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Aenslaed posted:

Actually, with a melee MEC, ambushing with mimetic skin is so easy and rewarding. Have your mimetic skin character (mine was a support with movement bonus) rush through doorways into high cover (you do need to memorize room layouts or just run up against any wall) and just sit them there doing no action. Then you line up your dudes on the other side of a wall which will provide the best angle of attack and just punch the wall down. Best part is if they aren't auto overwatch units, they'll automatically move so any of your guys on overwatch behind the wall will shoot at the flanked enemies. The support also has the arc thrower so since she's right there in the room, it makes approaching for the stun much much easier on the next turn.

In open field, this doesn't work as well, but the mimetic skin will mean that you always fight on your own terms.

That's not an ambush. :spergin:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Oh my gently caress I just punched the uber etheral off the edge of the ship.

WELCOME TO ERF

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

First base defense report :

So that was an intense experience. My last surviving base soldier took out the final Cyberdisc while my squad leader lay bleeding on the floor. She actually glitched into that spot half-way through the mission and was able to get quite a lot of hits against Berserkers and other things running around below. Two of my heavies had LMGs and body armor equipped (it seems like the mission chooses your six highest rank soldiers and whatever gear they had on their last mission ) but we somehow managed to take out five Cyberdiscs, five Mechtoids and a heap of Berserkers and Sectoid Commanders.

My Assault Colonel with 84 kills had one more day in hospital when they attacked and I'd like to think she would've jumped out of bed and grabbed her scatter gun, but it wasn't to be. I did finally lose my first Mec Trooper who'd been critically wounded on three separate occasions before this mission (I think his will was down to 29 so it's probably a blessing that he finally checked out). And now to use that reward medal to train a whole new team.

I'm really enjoying Classic and re-learning the game again; I finished a couple of I/I runs in vanilla but I've had to restart EW a couple of times already due to cascading mission failures. The number of options available in the early game with all the new gear and mods is just fantastic and makes the whole game feel fresh. Firaxis do the best expansions.

Aenslaed
Mar 29, 2004
Nonfactor

Mortabis posted:

That's not an ambush. :spergin:

The AI takes static routes. If you sit long enough, they'll come back. It depends entirely on how long you are willing to wait/if you need to. I mention indoor rooms/large single room buildings cause its more likely to have a pathing that remain inside.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
For the whale mission it's actually pretty straightforward. If you park everyone under the hole in the side they will blow up every one that pops out with overwatch. The guy who runs to the transponder can double move and jump down to rejoin his buddies and the next turn you just move and overwatch back to the choppa.

Robocop Horney
Feb 15, 2009

by T. Finninho
Well, my game that was going poorly took an odd turn. I captured a Muton on a council mission before Mutons start appearing, it was my first capture. I haven't even captured an Outsider yet but now because of that Muton I have Plasma Rifles, Heavy Plasma, Plasma Snipers, and a Particle Cannon, while my squad just barely got Carapace Armor. :getin:

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
So apparently from reading online, in Enemy Within if you put off the slingshot missions. They are not offered to you again.

:smithicide:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

agauntpanda posted:

<rest of helpful explanation snipped>

Aha - an opening to pontificate about xpack design!

We describe intel scans in the EXALT intro vid, in the "Global Covert Operations" popup that precedes your first visit to the covert ops layer, in the scrolling text that appears along the bottom of the covert ops view, and in loading screen tips. And yet, as you can see, this isn't enough; knowledgeable, dedicated & careful players miss the mechanic nonetheless. We definitely could have done more - nag-VO if you don't do one for more than two weeks after EXALT starts, for example (although as an xpack we were reluctant to introduce a lot of new nag-VO; nag-VO has limited effectiveness and a potentially high annoyance factor). Anything further would have introduced a lot of risk.

The best way to teach a new mechanic is to have the player teach him or herself. This is how class abilities work; we give them as unlocks and say "Hey players, check out these two abilities, of which you only get one! You better take a look and think about them both and make a decision, while in so doing teaching yourself how they both work!" Some mechanics can't really be taught that way without a lot of scripting, though.

Scripted tutorials are the next best, since the player has to go through the steps you lay down, but they also cause a lot of dangerous bugs if players are able to get off the rails. And if they're intended to teach a mid-game mechanic, you have to account for a lot of possible situations that you're diverting the game flow away from. They're also annoying for players who forget to turn them off after the first time (or, if we turn them off automatically after the first time, for excited players who faceroll through the first one and need a second run-through). And they're expensive in terms of dev time, especially if they involve cutscenes. Still, they make a lot of sense for a new game, but they're harder to jam into an xpack.

All of this affects how one designs features for an add-on. And then one has to reconcile how it clashes with one wants to do creatively.

Being a game designer is tough, man. But you did a great job. You have made the world a better, and funner, place to be.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Memetic Skin really needs to dissipate after a turn. It's way, way too good right now.

You know something is broken when its better than fucken Ghost Armor.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

UberJumper posted:

So apparently from reading online, in Enemy Within if you put off the slingshot missions. They are not offered to you again.

:smithicide:

This happens in Enemy Unknown too and it's a bummer.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

dreffen posted:

I'm actually pretty sure they come up again in Vanilla. But with Enemy Within they totally don't get offered again.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
After the first Exalt mission wiped the floor with me on Classic I ended up reverting to my very first save. Panic was getting out of control worldwide, I had no gene mods or MEC troopers or even an officer training school, and somehow Africa was covered yet still had abductions show up at least once whoops early in the month.

What should I be prioritizing? I had carapace armor and five satellites but was still burning through money digging out space to get properly adjacent sat links / labs / workshops / power and their adjacency equivalents. If there's a powergame build for the first month I am down.

It's a shame because the loving whaling ship mission or whatever the gently caress was amazing with only four squad members running for their lives and using CCS with loving pistols.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Nov 17, 2013

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

dreffen posted:

In enemy unknown they kept re-offering them over and over until you accept them.

Aenslaed
Mar 29, 2004
Nonfactor

Shumagorath posted:

After the first Exalt mission wiped the floor with me on Classic I ended up reverting to my very first save. Panic was getting out of control worldwide, I had no gene mods or MEC troopers or even an officer training school, and somehow Africa was covered yet still had abductions show up at least once.

What should I be prioritizing? I had carapace armor and five satellites but was still burning through money digging out space to get properly adjacent sat links / labs / workshops / power and their adjacency equivalents. If there's a powergame build for the first month I am down.

Weapon Fragments -> Laser weapons. First abduction pick engineers no matter where it is so you can actually make laser weapons next month. It'll also discount the cost of making your first satellite so start it immediately after. It should finish just before the council report so use it on a 5 panic nation to prevent it from leaving xcom. That should be the first month. Start on a new uplink asap in month 2 and the requisite 3 satellites to go with it. You don't have to start the sats immediately, just so they finish in time for the next report.

You want engineers over scientists for satellites and cheaper equipment. Scientists will come eventually and if you are in good shape, you'll have more research than resources in the mid game anyways. You want to start in Asia and Africa should be your first continent bonus. Of course, prioritize high panic countries over continent bonuses but work towards full coverage of Africa. Only dig if you have the spare money to do so. After you have a full set of laser weapons is a good time to start digging as its unlikely you'll have any other major expenditures for at least a couple months. You also want to do the alien base asap as the global drop in panic totally swings the geoscape from every country at 4-5 panic to 1-2.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
poo poo, I was pounding sats from day one. I also ended up digging down to my third level very early on trying to get optimal adjacency.

I think another mistake I made was building a workshop and laboratory...? Should I just be going straight for Foundry / OTS / Cybernetics Lab / Genetics Lab? I always start with my base in North America because... roleplaying :\ Getting Africa covered was easy enough but it became impossible to manage Europe and Asia at the same time, and continent-wide panic increases from foregone abductions really escalates quickly in both regions.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 17, 2013

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

more friedman units posted:

Since each shot is an independent event, shouldn't the chance for both of them to miss be 1-(0.98*0.98)=.0396? So it's about a 4% chance, not 0.04%.

I'm not sure. I think there's something about the way the game calculates hit chances on rapid fire, meaning that rapid fire almost always is more likely to hit once than regular fire. Downside is occaisional moments where that doesn't happen, and using up more ammo. Or maybe my friend's maths is off, who knows!

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Aenslaed posted:

Weapon Fragments -> Laser weapons. First abduction pick engineers no matter where it is so you can actually make laser weapons next month. It'll also discount the cost of making your first satellite so start it immediately after. It should finish just before the council report so use it on a 5 panic nation to prevent it from leaving xcom. That should be the first month. Start on a new uplink asap in month 2 and the requisite 3 satellites to go with it. You don't have to start the sats immediately, just so they finish in time for the next report.

You want engineers over scientists for satellites and cheaper equipment. Scientists will come eventually and if you are in good shape, you'll have more research than resources in the mid game anyways. You want to start in Asia and Africa should be your first continent bonus. Of course, prioritize high panic countries over continent bonuses but work towards full coverage of Africa. Only dig if you have the spare money to do so. After you have a full set of laser weapons is a good time to start digging as its unlikely you'll have any other major expenditures for at least a couple months. You also want to do the alien base asap as the global drop in panic totally swings the geoscape from every country at 4-5 panic to 1-2.

I would go for South America first then Africa. South America's pretty easy to knock out and it saves you a ton of research time.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

more friedman units posted:

It doesn't make sense that 2 misses are more likely than 1 miss.

The chance of 1 miss is 2%, the chance of 2 misses is .02*.02 =.0004. Incidentally that is 1 in 2,500. Considering a player is likely to take 1,000s of shots in a campaign a typical player should see something like this happen once every couple of games.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
I didn't play much of the vanilla, I rushed africa sats the first month and I'm putting up 4 sats the next month. AM I going to die?

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Belasarius posted:

AM I going to die?

Of course you are. :xcom:

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.

amanasleep posted:

It doesn't make sense that 2 misses are more likely than 1 miss.

The chance of 1 miss is 2%, the chance of 2 misses is .02*.02 =.0004. Incidentally that is 1 in 2,500. Considering a player is likely to take 1,000s of shots in a campaign a typical player should see something like this happen once every couple of games.

You're right, what I did was wrong. There's also the probability that one shot hits and one shot misses, so the chance of both missing IS 0.04%.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

So I'm on month 5 of EU, about 22 missions in, and I never captured a regular Sectoid. Should I just start over or do they still pop up every so often? I don't think I've seen one in like 6 or 7 missions now...

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The Duke posted:

So I'm on month 5 of EU, about 22 missions in, and I never captured a regular Sectoid. Should I just start over or do they still pop up every so often? I don't think I've seen one in like 6 or 7 missions now...

They pop up again as support units for the Mechtoids.

Edit: Oh wait you're in EU? Hmm drat, well they pop up sometimes, but they're not anything like common at that point.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

All I've been fighting is Mutons, Berserkers and loving Cyberdisks for way too long now.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Well there are a few on the last mission!

Yeah, you might be SOL. I don't think you need them for anything critical through, so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
So, now that there's been roughly 1500 posts since the expansion hit, can I have a brief summary as to what's good, what's not, and anything of interest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duke
May 19, 2004

Skippy McPants posted:

Well there are a few on the last mission!

Yeah, you might be SOL. I don't think you need them for anything critical through, so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Can you still beat the game without capturing a sectoid? I captured an Outsider like month 2 but my objective is still "capture an alien".

• Locked thread