Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm

Monkeytime posted:

Well, Nachtmystium is done. Can't say I didn't see that coming.

Being from Chicago, and knowing a lot of the people in the bands/scene here...Its pretty funny seeing some of the statuses during this whole ordeal. A lot of them personally being screwed over/dealing with him etc lends to some pretty quality posts. He seemed like a decent guy whenever I talked with him but I guess I was never in a band with him so who knows. I know all the guys who joined Nachtmystium for this new album and touring and feel pretty bad for them...they were just gearing up to go at it and bam, done.

Wyzt fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Nov 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octavion
Apr 5, 2009
I just checked out Wrust and their poo poo is pretty good. Does anyone have any links to good info on the African metal scene? I'd love to learn more about its origins.

edit: nevermind, missed the links on the last page.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Octavion posted:

I just checked out Wrust and their poo poo is pretty good. Does anyone have any links to good info on the African metal scene? I'd love to learn more about its origins.

edit: nevermind, missed the links on the last page.

Shameless plug in case you missed it, but I help to run http://www.metal4africa.com and we do our best to keep up to date with Africa as a whole. We're based in South Africa and SA has the most diverse metal scene, but we try to mention other bands from the rest of the continent as often as possible.

I discovered this today: Suck, Sabbathy proto-metal from South Africa in the 70s, really cool psychedelic stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M81LItngUUU

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Chastain got back together and are making a new album. Blabbermouth is streaming a song and Leather Leone still sounds pretty good.
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/chastain-new-song-freedom-within-available-for-streaming/

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Wolves in the Throne Room led me to Alda. It's ok. Would like any others that are like them though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv_9jJAWfH0

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
A couple of days ago I'm in the car with my son going to the grocery store. He's 14 months old. I've got my ipod hooked up, and I'm playing softer stuff like Sisters of Mercy. He starts making happy baby noises so I figure what the hell, put on some metal.

I've never seen my son get so happy and excited. He was clapping, happily shrieking along, and wiggling all around in the carseat. Apparently my little boy likes Motorhead, Toxic Holocaust, Svart Crown, Black Breath, Speedwolf, Sylosis, and Woods of Ypres.

Later in the day he fell and hit his head, so I decided to see if metal would help him stop crying. I put Jungle Rot on my phone, he then grabbed it and held it up to his ear and started smiling and laughing. And then went back to crying when I tried to take the phone away.

I can't wait till he's older to take him to a concert.

Nirvana7x
Feb 2, 2004
Absu tonight in Philly if anyone around didn't know. Should be a decent show because, well, it's Absu.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Anybody listened to Obliteration - Black Death Horizon? It's pretty great OSDM that's been getting AOTY hype.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Henchman of Santa posted:

Anybody listened to Obliteration - Black Death Horizon? It's pretty great OSDM that's been getting AOTY hype.

Yeah, it's decent. Continues exactly where they left off and doesn't really miss a beat.

It's nowhere near AOTY level though. Not even if you restrict things to death metal only. In a year where Tribulation expanded boundaries, Graveyard, Vorum and countless others already defined oldschool, Beyond aggressively re-defined it, Ensnared became yet another band to have successfully cloned Entombed, Altars decided to clone Portal, Necroccultus threw the kitchen sink of influences into music...

Especially considering the OSDM revival is now well and truly getting to saturation sickness, albums have to be really special and just that little bit different. Which is why Sulphur Aeon are getting a bit of credit.

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 17, 2013

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I thought the new Tribulation was kind of mediocre tbh. But I'll take Gorguts, Immolation, Grave Miasma and Katalepsy over this.

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
Does anyone know what Vladimir Cochet has been up to? The last few days I've been reminding myself how amazing Anosognosic Industry of the I is.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Does anyone know the song name at the very beginning of Until the Light Take Us? It's not a metal song but I figured this would be the best place to ask. The one literally that starts within the first minute.

EDIT: Found it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv-FAk3Z-kg

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 19, 2013

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

Xandoom posted:

Does anyone know the song name at the very beginning of Until the Light Take Us? It's not a metal song but I figured this would be the best place to ask. The one literally that starts within the first minute.

EDIT: Found it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv-FAk3Z-kg

múm is probably the best weird electronica-y Icelandic band.

The best Icelandic metal band is Skálmöld. Here's a song about punching the Midgard Serpent in the face, with the Midgard Serpent on clean vocals.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm

The Clit Avoider posted:

Especially considering the OSDM revival is now well and truly getting to saturation sickness, albums have to be really special and just that little bit different. Which is why Sulphur Aeon are getting a bit of credit.

So I checked out Sulphur Aeon when I saw this post...at first I was like holy poo poo this sounds awesome. I listened to it like twice through. The more I listened(starting about 4 songs into the first listen) to it the more I started to feel really indifferent to it. I think the production is a big part of it sounding good, and once I got past that I really didn't like the heartwork-esque leads, and a lot of it just made me think it wouldn't be as liked if it wasn't for the intense production. Maybe I'm just crazy.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Wyzt posted:

So I checked out Sulphur Aeon when I saw this post...at first I was like holy poo poo this sounds awesome. I listened to it like twice through. The more I listened(starting about 4 songs into the first listen) to it the more I started to feel really indifferent to it. I think the production is a big part of it sounding good, and once I got past that I really didn't like the heartwork-esque leads, and a lot of it just made me think it wouldn't be as liked if it wasn't for the intense production. Maybe I'm just crazy.

Oh no, that's definitely my impression too and I'm a big fan of the album. It's just, I'm the sort of metal listener who will occasionally listen to albums for production quality alone.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Wyzt posted:

Funnily enough, I actually don't like the album myself. Because I don't like the guitar work at all. But it is undeniably a bit different from every other OSDM album coming out now. If I'm going to listen to german death from 2013 it's definitely fatal power of death.

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Nov 19, 2013

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010

rxcowboy posted:

A couple of days ago I'm in the car with my son going to the grocery store. He's 14 months old. I've got my ipod hooked up, and I'm playing softer stuff like Sisters of Mercy. He starts making happy baby noises so I figure what the hell, put on some metal.

I've never seen my son get so happy and excited. He was clapping, happily shrieking along, and wiggling all around in the carseat. Apparently my little boy likes Motorhead, Toxic Holocaust, Svart Crown, Black Breath, Speedwolf, Sylosis, and Woods of Ypres.

Later in the day he fell and hit his head, so I decided to see if metal would help him stop crying. I put Jungle Rot on my phone, he then grabbed it and held it up to his ear and started smiling and laughing. And then went back to crying when I tried to take the phone away.

I can't wait till he's older to take him to a concert.

When my daughter was about 1-2 months old, literally the only thing that would stop her crying sometimes would be Into the Infinity of Thought by Emperor. She'd pretty much stop crying instantly and fall asleep before the vocals came in. She's branched out a bit now and likes to dance, but she still appreciates a bit of Decapitated or Dying Fetus.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Are there any good metal albums that have a storyline? I was listening to Coheed and Cambria and thought "drat if they could have a story this good with a metal band that would be awesome"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Slough Feg - Traveller
Orphaned Land - Mabool
Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt. II - Scenes From a Memory
Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
Mastodon - Leviathan (sort of)

Also literally every King Diamond album has a story and he frequently has recurring characters.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Per O posted:

Are there any good metal albums that have a storyline? I was listening to Coheed and Cambria and thought "drat if they could have a story this good with a metal band that would be awesome"

One of the best prog metal albums of all time is a sci-fi concept album (lyrics/storyline here), though it's not completely fleshed out. Cheesy as hell but musically about as good as it gets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0f_N6nTpmA

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Devin Townsend - Ziltoid The Omniscient

the best concept album

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.
Dude just wants some coffee.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010
There's a new Woods of Desolation track up on Youtube. Torn Beyond Reason was a favorite of mine last year, so I'm really looking forward to this one. I wouldn't call them "post" black metal, but I think this will appeal to a lot of the people that liked Entropia since it has that "pretty" black metal thing going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7E2ykNATUg

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Per O posted:

I won't hesitate to plug Voivod's album trilogy from Killing Technology through Nothingface, which tells a story of Korgull the Exterminator, a member of the alien Voivod race. Dorky, but excellent and forward-thinking musicianship. Also probably among the catchiest metal ever recorded.

And the very underrated Swedish DM band Crystal Age's only album, Far Beyond Divine Horizons.

And everything by maudlin of the Well, and Blind Guardian, and Virgin Steele, and-
Oh gently caress it, here you go

Gamma Nerd fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 22, 2013

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
e: missed the earlier King Diamond mention

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I mentioned him in the very first reply...

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

I like to imagine Piece of Mind as a story where the band is writing an album and just kinda gives up halfway through

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Per O posted:

Not murder/death/chuggachugga real man's metal, but The Sword's Warp Riders does this pretty well.

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Nov 22, 2013

super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

You think I'm fat, but it's an optical illusion.

Per O posted:

Ayreon.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Mastodon - Leviathan (sort of)

While we're on the subject of Moby Dick, there's Ahab's The Call of the Wretched Sea.

Going back to power metal, there's Blind Guardian's Nightfall in Middle Earth.

Also, Iron Maiden has been mentioned but not Seventh Son of a Seventh Son?

Oh, and Fear Factory's Obsolete, I guess.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
If you feel like listening to some cheesy power metal, I believe Rhapsody of Fire is another one.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Well, basically every time I want to broaden my horizons in power metal I just end up listening to Nightfall in Middle Earth a bunch of times, so my knowledge of that subgenre more or less begins and ends with that album. Anyone else with this problem?

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
As far as plot albums I'm ridiculously fond of Angra's Temple of Shadows, and astoundingly ambivalent towards their entire remaining discography.

Everyone seems to swear by Kamelot's Black Halo, but don't forget the first half, Epica.

That being said power metal is pretty much my main thing anyway and even I can really only listen to like four bands more than once. These are two of those four. The other ones were Blind Guardian and...

Actually I guess it's just the three.

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
Listen to Nightfall in Middle Earth every day forever. Others that come to mind: Kamelot's Epica + Black Halo (sick album), the entire discography of Bal-Sagoth (The Splendor of a Thousand Swords Gleaming Beneath The Blazon of the Hyperborean Empire), Rhapsody (The Cold Embrace of Fear, Symphony of Enchanted Lands, or anything really), Pain of Salvation (Remedy Lane), Sabaton (Carolus Rex), Trollfest (Brumblebassen), Turisas (The Varangian Way), that's about the best extent of the story metal I got. Bal-Sagoth might be up your alley, they kind of own and have an awesome fantasy metal vibe in addition to their recurring characters.

Bal-Sagoth - The Chronicle of Shadows https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bTUob8EfrE

Edit:
Bal-Sagoth also comes with liner notes like this to give you a flavor:

quote:

[From the journal of Professor Caleb Blackthorne III, discovered May 1899, near the great Temple at Tiahuanaco, Peru:
23 September: 1893
Upon extensive examination of the nefarious arcane codex known as The Epsilon Exordium, I believe my search may at last be drawing to a close.
Indeed, I feel that perhaps the great discovery which has eluded me for so long may finally be within my grasp.
And yet I must be cautious, for twice more have I seen the figures in the night, watching me in silence from the confines of the darkness.
I cannot discern their features, only that they are vaguely human in shape, save for their arms which seem abnormally long and oddly jointed.
My native guides are becoming increasingly agitated and skittish, babbling incoherently about the guardians of the tombs... citing legends from their ancestral past which speak of mysterious travellers who reputedly came down from the stars in great silvern chariots drawn by steeds of flame.
At any rate, I have my trusted Martini-Henry .45 calibre breech-loader should these silent stalkers prove malign and ever deign to lay hold of me in the night.
I have at last translated the carvings on the stone fragment I unearthed amidst the ruins of Angkor Wat.
To my astonishment, I found that it predated the construction of the temple itself by countless thousands of years, and that it spoke of the same subject as did the hieroglyphs I beheld on the wall of the concealed chamber which I and Lord Blakiston discovered within the Great Pyramid in Egypt.
Successive examinations of the edifices at Giza and Karnak revealed further parallels too precise to be mere coincidence.
The pieces of this great cosmic puzzle are finally beginning to fall into place...

2 October: 1893
Yes, it is as I suspected.
I have long felt that the Sumerians of Mesapotamia were among the first peoples to attain elucidation concerning the dread matter I pursue.
My excavations at Lagash, Eridu, and most notably the ziggurats at Ur, have revealed truths which subsequent finds at Angkor, Egypt and Sacsahuaman only serve to consolidate.
I now know that the Olmechs, the Aztecs and the Mayans were also undeniably key tendrils of this grand global web,
and the unnerving truth I hitherto felt compelled to deny now seems inexorably to point to some grand and terrifying universal axiom.
It seems however, that the closer I come to enlightenment, the greater the danger becomes. Last night, one of our expedition's chief guides disappeared without trace.
His native compatriots could find no tracks, nor offer any evidence of his departure to suggest that his superstitions had finally compelled him to abandon the party... the man seems simply to have vanished inexplicably into the oppressive, sweltering dark.
In light of the disappearance, I opted not to inform the group that during the darkling hours before sunrise last night I had peered from my tent to behold what I perceived to be three of the shadowy figures I have previously described moving furtively in the gloom, keeping ever just out of the illuminatory radias of our campfire.
By the time I had brought my rifle to bear, they had melted away into the fathomless shadows of the benighted jungle...]

Iceberg-Slim fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 22, 2013

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Haven't seen these mentioned yet as far as concept albums:

Iced Earth - Night of the Stormrider
Suidakra - Book of Dowth
Opeth - Still Life
Nevermore - Dreaming Neon Black.
Evergrey - In Search of Truth
Disillusion - Back to Times of Splendor
Edge of Sanity - Crimson I and II
In Flames - Whoracle

I think both of Wintersun's albums are concept albums but I'm not 100% sure. Kentucky by Panopticon is also sort of a concept album (and is excellent). It's not really a unified story but all the songs tie together thematically and the lyrics all deal with various parts of the state's history.

There have actually been a few concept albums released this year too:

Chthonic - Bú-Tik
Fleshgod Apocalypse - Labyrinth
The Ruins of Beverast - Blood Vaults: The Blazing Gospel of Heinrich Kramer
Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats - Mind Control (more stoner rock than metal I guess, technically)

Also nthing the Nightfall in Middle Earth recommendations. That album is amazing.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 22, 2013

m14762mmfmj
May 14, 2013
Personally, I've been a big fan of Blood Mountain by Mastodon and isn't High on Fire's De Vermis Mysteriis a concept album with a plat?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Between the Buried and Me's Parallax Series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl4JumOAV2o

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Orphaned Land - Mabool

Not quite as great, but OrWarriOr was also really great.

Also Savatage's Streets: a Rock Opera, and if you're into "post-black"/"black-gaze"/"ambient black metal" or whatever the gently caress people are calling it these days, any album by WitTR or Alcest really.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
Helvetios by Eluveitie, Baldur by Skálmöld, seconding any and all Bal-Sagoth suggestions.

e: Batavi by Heidevolk. Moonsorrow's last album kind of had a story. Týr's latest is terrible in many ways but it has a story, and The Lay of Thrym is apparently a concept album about the Arab Spring.

edrith fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Many metal bands have done storyline oriented albums and epic songs, so many that you would be better off doing nothing but listening to Manilla Road until the end of time instead of ever listening to Coheed and Cambria again. The A side of Helstar's "Nosferatu" is a six-track concept piece about Nosferatu, and the B side is killer too. Both Longings Past albums are long, story-driven epic heavy metal/prog rock albums, The vocalist isn't the strongest, but the concepts still work well. If you wish the band had a killer vocalist, check out the previous version of the band, Enchanter.
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Longings_Past/23945