Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Seemlar posted:

Looks like next-gen version isn't digital only like initially reported

I hope the Japanese release here comes with English language support. I'd really like to get a package like this, but not enough to pay like 2/3x the digital price for a product readily available in English where the only advantage is I can put it on my shelf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

BreakAtmo posted:

The TGS gameplay has been reposted in English with full English narration. Also, I never saw it in this quality before, but that may have just been me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0fQeiYGxrw&t=760s

edit: poo poo, accidental double post. This thread needs to move faster! :v:

This is pretty cool, and it's nice to know you CAN turn off the 'slow motion when you get spotted' thing. I'm still not sure about regenerating health, hopefully on the hardest difficultly it won't be present (or at least scaled way back).

Also, was bullet drop being a thing mentioned anywhere before? That's pretty cool you have to consider that now.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Policenaut posted:

I hope the Japanese release here comes with English language support. I'd really like to get a package like this, but not enough to pay like 2/3x the digital price for a product readily available in English where the only advantage is I can put it on my shelf.

It's slightly annoying that the Revoltech is just a head swap and a new gun away from the already released one. But, if I got this new one, I could take my old one, combine it with a Kinnikuman Revoltech and make a custom Naked Snake figure...

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
I'm perfectly willing to buy GZ, especially since Kojima's comments hint at a long wait for TPP. I'd rather dick around in Camp Omega for a year than nothing!

Also, and this is just my speculation, but I think we should prepare for TPP to only have a few levels - but they will be massive sandboxes with tons of missions. Just going off what Kojima said, how TPP will be "200 times bigger than GZ", makes me think that it'll be Afghanistan, Africa... maybe that's it! But I'm sure we'll explore every nook and cranny of them.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Yeah im bummed they're two separate games but im pretty sure both are going to rock socks.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
So is everyone a clone of everyone else in this series yet or what.

I was kinda hoping they'd make Mei Ling a clone of Snake in this one. Or maybe a robot that looks like Snake but also looks like Mei Ling. Because, she is Mei Ling. Or did they do that already in one of the prequels/prologues/reboots/reconstructions? Also, in the OP I can't tell when you're talking about the game and when you're talking about the development of the game. Is it really a game. Is the trailer posted by the anagram of Hideo Kojima real life or was that in the trailer for the game or is that a trailer of the game. Is the anagram of Hideo Kojima a clone or a robot or a robot clone?

I mean, what the gently caress.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Famitsu did an interview today with Hideo Kojima about The Phantom Pain and Ground Zeroes. Siliconera has a translated summary.

quote:

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes has been described as many things. A prologue to Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, a “pilot” episode, and even a tutorial. Series director Hideo Kojima reiterates in an interview with Famitsu that a tutorial to The Phantom Pain is precisely what Ground Zeroes is meant to serve as.

That said, Ground Zeroes is missing a few features that will be present in The Phantom Pain, Kojima reveals. For starters, the game will not feature dynamic weather. Additionally, while the Side Ops missions take place during the day time, the rest of the game will take place at night time, in the rain.

Kojima also mentions that your save data from Ground Zeroes will carry over into The Phantom Pain, and it appears that the things you do in this game will have some affect in The Phantom Pain. As an example, he mentions a stage in Ground Zeroes where you have the option of saving soldiers versus not saving them. If you do save them, you will be rewarded in The Phantom Pain in some fashion.

Additionally, Kojima confirms that the base-development features that were introduced in Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker will be making a return in The Phantom Pain. Since The Phantom Pain is a more realistic game than Peace Walker, bringing soldiers back with you will cause your base to grow.

Echoing comments that he’s made in the past, Kojima also shares that the reason Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes is being developed and released sooner is because The Phantom Pain has a lengthy development cycle due to the amount of content. Having part of the experience available as a “pilot” episode of sorts allows players to try the game out prior to release.

Finally, whenever The Phantom Pain is released, Kojima says he’d like to include something to reward players that own both games. Just what this will be hasn’t been decided upon yet, however.

I also did not realize that Japan is getting a stand-alone retail PS4 version that is just the disc for roughly $30. I can't find any retailers putting up pre-orders yet.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
I would love to have a disc copy, just so it can sit next to the other Metal Gear games.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I predict with all my might that a disc edition of next-gen Ground Zeroes will come bundled with the next gen Phantom Pain when it comes out.

Davinci fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 17, 2013

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Davinci posted:

I predict with all my might that a disc edition of next-gen Ground Zeroes will come bundled with the next gen Phantom Pain when it coems out.

Almost certainly, although it sounds you'll be waiting a while, I think Kojima said TPP is a long way off.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

So, these were just posted on the Metal Gear Solid Facebook page.

quote:

Here's screens from our PlayStation exclusive mission to Ground Zeroes-- Déjŕ Vu!

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Those are actually from an alternate version of the trailer, which has some nice remixed MGS1 music instead of the generic track from the Spike cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaWgZA5uaSE

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wonder if the codec frequency will be printed on the back of the box this time :v:

mortalwombat
Feb 15, 2003

I have updated the OP with some new information and have compiled a list of many links posted throughout the thread.

This weekend, after talking with a friend about POOPS and how it relates to the rest of the series, I did a thing again.

It's possible that Decoy Octopus is a much bigger piece of the puzzle than we had ever considered. Obviously, the images have much content but little context. I'm not going to start with a wall of text about the conclusions I'm drawing from this. I'd like to hear others' comments and questions.

---

Also, there is a symbol used by the jealous guard in POOPS that caught my attention. It reminded me of part of the key to a masonic cipher (a.k.a. pig-pen cipher) and dismissed it until I noticed it at the bottom left of the new MGSV home-page.

In POOPS it is grawlix used in place of profanity. ※

I don't believe I've seen it elsewhere, and an internet search yielded no results.

What is it?

An unsearchable symbol feels very "Patriots". A digital "La Li Lu Le Lo".

mortalwombat fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 18, 2013

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

It's a kome, kind of like an asterisk. http://www.jekai.org/entries/aa/00/nn/aa00nn28.htm

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

mortalwombat posted:

I have updated the OP with some new information and have compiled a list of many links posted throughout the thread.

This weekend, after talking with a friend about POOPS and how it relates to the rest of the series, I did a thing again.

It's possible that Decoy Octopus is a much bigger piece of the puzzle than we had ever considered. Obviously, the images have much content but little context. I'm not going to start with a wall of text about the conclusions I'm drawing from this. I'd like to hear others' comments and questions.

---

Also, there is a symbol used by the jealous guard in POOPS that caught my attention. It reminded me of part of the key to a masonic cipher (a.k.a. pig-pen cipher) and dismissed it until I noticed it at the bottom left of the new MGSV home-page.

In POOPS it is grawlix used in place of profanity. ※

I don't believe I've seen it elsewhere, and an internet search yielded no results.

What is it?

An unsearchable symbol feels very "Patriots". A digital "La Li Lu Le Lo".

Are you suggesting that Decoy Octopus is going to be in MGSV so you can keep alive you Miller was Ocelot all along! theory?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Decoy Octopus will perform surgery on himself, simultaneously disguised as both Paz and Snake. (And Miller.)

(And Chico.)

(And Hideo Kojima.)

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Every time there's a new character in the Big Boss games, there are always people who seriously theorize that they're actually Decoy Octopus.

EVERY TIME.

Penakoto fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Nov 18, 2013

mortalwombat
Feb 15, 2003

boom boom boom posted:

Are you suggesting that Decoy Octopus is going to be in MGSV so you can keep alive you Miller was Ocelot all along! theory?

Fair question.

I won't pretend that I don't still hold that opinion, and I might not have thought any more about Miller in the torture room if I wasn't already skeptical about Miller's identity. That said, I'm sharing this speculation for the same reason I shared the other one - I felt I noticed some interesting parallels between characters, and want to explore their meaning regardless of why the parallels exist. When I shared the M/O hypothesis, it was largely to kill away the internal question of "Am I crazy, or is this real?" I'd say most feedback leaned toward "I'm crazy" and I don't expect the consensus to be any different this time.

I'm going to consider the subject of M/O an instance of double jeopardy and I intend to leave the matter alone.

Penakoto posted:

Every time there's a new character in the Big Boss games, there are always people who seriously theorize that they're actually Decoy Octopus.EVERY TIME.

Personally, this is the first time I've considered it. I do find it funny that, if true, he's the greatest undercover agent in the world but only has one suit and some hats.

Thanks. I assume it's pronounced "ko-may" and not like "home"?

mortalwombat fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 18, 2013

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
I think you are confusing thematic parallels for a double secret layer of the narrative I guess :shobon: But it also betrays a fan fiction writer's conviction that the next installment of the story will be the one where the head finally eats the tail, where everything is tied into a perfect unbreakable knot, rather than being a new thing unto itself, a thing that springs from creativity rather than the creator playing with the action figures of his own design.

Which is funny cause MGS4 kind of WAS that, and was underwhelming for exactly that reason: who was that guy? The same person as the only other black man in the series. What's Vamp's deal? Nanomachines. As soon as you have the answer it's kind of :geno: "oh okay", like, that was interesting as a super secret mystery for me to solve, but actually kind of loving boring as a real plot element.

SO I hope you are wrong, but those are really cool pictures, is what I'm saying. Who's that red skull guy on the bottom row of the last one?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

swamp waste posted:

SO I hope you are wrong, but those are really cool pictures, is what I'm saying. Who's that red skull guy on the bottom row of the last one?

That's the Big Boss face camo from MGS4.

It makes every enemy run away in terror.

mortalwombat
Feb 15, 2003

swamp waste posted:

...the one where the head finally eats the tail, where everything is tied into a perfect unbreakable knot...

This series in particular is one where that concept is actually one of the themes. (There's even an ouroboros on the pause screen of MGS2 during the Arsenal section of the game.) Ocelot's dying words are from his first meeting with Big Boss. It seems both Kojima and the characters in MGS seem to strive for this sense of completion you describe. MGS is, after all, a fan fiction itself.

Now, I've assumed that Skull Face was Zadornov since the original GZ trailer. It seemed to make sense from their wardrobe, skeletal structure, nature of the character, and particularly the emphasis on the walkman. Also because Zadornov seemed to be portrayed in Peace Walker as having a great presence but was then discarded unceremoniously. It felt unsatisfying. (I became completely convinced after finding XOF soldiers hidden in Peace Walker when messing around in Zadornov Search Missions.)

When I started playing POOPS again, I was reminded that Zadornov / Skull Face was the thematic counterpart to Gene (who BTW is a very fun villain.) I compared the "Gene and Ursula/Elisa" relationship to the "Zadornov and Paz" relationship. Both girls control Metal Gear. (At first, it felt too obtuse to mean anything, since they even have the same voice actors.) The similarities go further than that. Gene's mission in POOPS? Act as a decoy so Ocelot could infiltrate the CIA. Zadornov's mission in PW? Act as a decoy so Paz could secretly modify ZEKE. (Even the persona of Zadornov was playing the role of Galvez.) Even in death, Solidus' role in MGS4 was to act as decoy to protect Big Boss. During which time, he was barely more than a skull face.

I knew that Gene was supposed to be the old generation's Solidus character because they shared so many similarities. The radical on the list was "framing Snake for an attack", which was also done (first-hand, that is) by another, seemingly unrelated, character in MGS4 - Laughing Octopus. I wondered how she related to the two of them, but had a hard time seeing the most obvious thing - her name. I realized that if Zadornov were Skull Face, that it would make most sense (using the logic of the series) for him to be Decoy Octopus.

Most characters have a pretty clear-cut correlation with their successor/predecessor. It began to feel like this type of correlation was spread out across too many characters in the case of Gene, Zadornov, Decoy Octopus, Solidus (Doctor Octopus), and Laughing Octopus. So I began to consider that not all of them had to be separate characters. Not a real stretch, considering the nature of Decoy's character. When I started looking at pictures of the characters, I was amazed at the identical poses and strikingly similar outfits of MGS1's Decoy Octopus and PW's Zadornov. Decoy even has a subtle red right hand.

The torture room Miller from the MGSV trailers fits in considering he also has the walkman sported by Zadornov and Skull Face. Not to mention that he's missing the same arm as Zadornov and is wearing that same amazingly generic outfit.

That's all I have time for right now, but I'm happy to discuss these things later, whether they are strictly thematic parallels or a "double secret layer of the narrative."

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I really think looking to Portable Ops for anything is a bad idea. Kojima didn't direct it and it's been flushed down the memory hole pretty hard dude.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I wonder how many hours GZ will clock? The trailers make it seem like the story content at least is the one mission for saving Chico.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So I guess the Paz surgery will happen in GZ since it's before BB's coma huh?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ManOfTheYear posted:

I wonder how many hours GZ will clock? The trailers make it seem like the story content at least is the one mission for saving Chico.

The trailers also make it seem that any missions in GZ will take place in that single location, or they're just keeping any other game map under wraps. Though that camp also looks fairly large so having different missions sending you to different locations in the single map could work.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Solidus can't be Decoy Octopus because Decoy Octopus gets killed by FOXDIE in MGS1.

I think the recurring themes between characters is something that Kojima just does all the time and this pattern is a false positive.

I do think that Decoy Octopus will be in GZ/PP somewhere, because we see a young Psycho Mantis in the trailers and I bet we'll see the others from MGS1 in the later part of PP.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Eli is almost certainly a young Liquid too.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

The trailers also make it seem that any missions in GZ will take place in that single location, or they're just keeping any other game map under wraps. Though that camp also looks fairly large so having different missions sending you to different locations in the single map could work.

Yeah, but somehow I have the feeling that GZ is gonna bust a lot of people's balls. I mean in a way like The Wolf Among Us does, with the first episode ending just when the story is becoming good and you just have to live with the gamer blue balls for the next two months.

Except now you have to wait like a year bedore The Phantom Pain. The fact that GZ isn't full price speaks ill to me: I'd rather have a real game once with the full price rather than 1/3 and 2/3 coming out separately.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Elephant Ambush posted:

Solidus can't be Decoy Octopus because Decoy Octopus gets killed by FOXDIE in MGS1.

Does Decoy Octopus die? Considering he is the greatest thing in the field of disguise and trickery since sliced bread, what if he tricked us all those years ago? Kojima has pulled crazier stunts, and Decoy Octopus' relatively small presence in the plot could be magnified hundredfold through this. I support every theory regarding Decoy Octopus, mostly because I'd like him to be expanded as a character.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ManOfTheYear posted:

Yeah, but somehow I have the feeling that GZ is gonna bust a lot of people's balls. I mean in a way like The Wolf Among Us does, with the first episode ending just when the story is becoming good and you just have to live with the gamer blue balls for the next two months.

Except now you have to wait like a year bedore The Phantom Pain. The fact that GZ isn't full price speaks ill to me: I'd rather have a real game once with the full price rather than 1/3 and 2/3 coming out separately.

Dude, PP will be a full game. If anything, it'll be more full than we even expect. Every MGS has a list of cool poo poo they couldn't fit in for some reason or another. Releasing GZ first gives Kojima more time to cram poo poo into PP.

Plus there's the meta narrative stuff of like, you don't get to see what haooens next, just like Big Boss, I'm sure Kojima will do something cool there too, and it gives you time to fully build up your mother base in GZ for PP.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

boom boom boom posted:

... I'm sure Kojima will do something cool there too, and it gives you time to fully build up your mother base in GZ for PP.

I wonder if stuff like this will actually happen, considering that the crux of the narrative is mother base getting destroyed and Snake truly starting at the bottom.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ManOfTheYear posted:

I wonder if stuff like this will actually happen, considering that the crux of the narrative is mother base getting destroyed and Snake truly starting at the bottom.

oh right, i goofed. but there will be stuff that carries over, and I know i'd be torn between trying to do everything and just getting on with the story if they were a single release.

trash lord
Feb 1, 2012

Hey, bros.
Yeah, about POOPS being canon...

(Though Rising isn't up there either and gently caress that.)

I've always rolled my eyes at the Miller-is-Ocelot theory not just because it's dumb but whenever it's "proven", people show collages of Miller's face with Ocelot's face on another layer at a lower opacity or vice versa. Of course they're going to look the same there, both faces are too obscured to make out any inconsistencies. Besides Ocelot's nose has always been sorta pointy and Miller's nose has always been kind of rounded when CGI'd. :colbert:

I do expect to see Decoy Octopus and Gray Fox pop up in MGSV but not as the characters we already know because that's dumb. Even in MGS1, Decoy Octopus didn't take the place of anyone important to that story.
But on the subject of FOXHOUND Muppet Babies, while making a gif for something the other night, I noticed mini-Mantis riding with Satan on that flaming unicorn.

Seems to disappear before you blast them with a shotgun in that forest fire section, though. What does it mean? No clue. Just something that I thought was hard to pick out at first glance so probably others over-looked it, too.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Does Decoy Octopus die? Considering he is the greatest thing in the field of disguise and trickery since sliced bread, what if he tricked us all those years ago? Kojima has pulled crazier stunts, and Decoy Octopus' relatively small presence in the plot could be magnified hundredfold through this. I support every theory regarding Decoy Octopus, mostly because I'd like him to be expanded as a character.

Decoy Octopus somehow predicted he was going to be stricken with FOXDIE and faked his own death. The rotting corpse of Donald Anderson is really Zadornov trying to subvert Liquid's plan to stop the La Li Lu Le Lo commit acts of terror against American Freedom! :freep:

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Come to think of it, it starts to seem like GZ is some sort of compromise between Sony and Kojima to getting the MGSV to come out as close as possible with the PS4: Maybe Kojima told the Sony dudes they couldn't get MGS5 ready in time, so they decided to make GZ for compensation, giving him more time to finish his vision with PP while keeping the moneymen happy.

It's just a guess, but I think it would make sense.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

nosebro posted:

I do expect to see Decoy Octopus and Gray Fox pop up in MGSV but not as the characters we already know because that's dumb. Even in MGS1, Decoy Octopus didn't take the place of anyone important to that story.

"Because that's dumb" hasn't really stopped Metal Gear in the past.

That said, I agree with you--I don't really think we're going to see a big twist on that level when it comes to Decoy Octopus and/or Gray Fox. I'm still nursing a pet theory about how Punished Snake isn't actually Big Boss but rather a random MSF soldier who survived the attack and went through a bunch of reconstructive surgery and "Liquid Ocelot"-style psychological conditioning to believe that he's Big Boss, but I don't actually believe it myself. It's just fun.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

ManOfTheYear posted:

Come to think of it, it starts to seem like GZ is some sort of compromise between Sony and Kojima to getting the MGSV to come out as close as possible with the PS4: Maybe Kojima told the Sony dudes they couldn't get MGS5 ready in time, so they decided to make GZ for compensation, giving him more time to finish his vision with PP while keeping the moneymen happy.

It's just a guess, but I think it would make sense.
It's coming out on Xbox too, dude. What's Sony got to do with it?

trash lord
Feb 1, 2012

Hey, bros.
The reason why Kojima probably kept the nature of the releases under wraps is probably for that reason. He didn't know how much longer production would take for the full game by the time the next gen consoles came out so he kept GZ in his pocket in case it looked too far off. Hopefully, at the latest, it means TPP's release date will just be around this time next year.

And I do recall him saying that some things you do in GZ may affect things in TPP. Forgot which interview that was, though.

Edit: When I say "that's dumb" in the context of Metal Gear, I put all the dumbest stuff it's done in the past as "normal." (Because, honestly, I like the dumb things in Metal Gear, even the ones people didn't like for the most part.) So it's too dumb even in relation to MG.

trash lord fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Veotax posted:

It's coming out on Xbox too, dude. What's Sony got to do with it?

Well, Sony and Microsoft, then. Point still stands. :colbert:

• Locked thread