Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
With only two points of reference, one of them being Floe and the other being the current speedrun WR holder, I can't tell if TMR is really good at Boshy for a first timer or just average. Leaning towards the former, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think he's just naturally skilled at that sort of game, I mean he plays Battletoad for fuckssakes. And when Heidrage briefly came back for Contra runs, he was blown away by TMR's ability to play for 8 hours straight.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
So I just went into Rom's stream and I see "possible new trick for sub-7 clock rush"

:stare:

Fuckin SOTN. That game will never stop getting broken.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Unfortunately I had to have an extremely short stream, however http://www.twitch.tv/stri is playing glover now so watch him!

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

Gamma Nerd posted:

So I just went into Rom's stream and I see "possible new trick for sub-7 clock rush"

:stare:

Fuckin SOTN. That game will never stop getting broken.

Yeah, here's a video of the trick that allows it to be done. After sitting in Rom's stream and hearing what it would take to actually meet all the criteria and get a sub-7 clock rush, I think this is probably TAS only.

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004
New SMB 3 100% WR: http://www.twitch.tv/mitchflowerpower/c/3239014

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

pyromance posted:

Yeah, here's a video of the trick that allows it to be done. After sitting in Rom's stream and hearing what it would take to actually meet all the criteria and get a sub-7 clock rush, I think this is probably TAS only.
... what just happened? :confused:

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
- You need a meal ticket drop from a stone rose (RNG)
- Then you need to get a mushroom to drop when you use the meal ticket (more RNG)
- Then you need to pixel perfect jump and throw a mushroom on the ledge and somehow get it to damage boost you left instead of right so that you land on the ledge

It's so improbable that it'll probably never be done naturally unless someone finds out how to do the last part reliably, then it will just come down to lucking out with getting the meal ticket and mushroom...if someone is mental enough.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

pyromance posted:

I think this is probably TAS only.

Think for a second about the amount of tricks that have been discovered as 'TAS-only' that people figure out how to do anyway, though.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
3 1 2 0

http://www.twitch.tv/heeheex2/c/3240294

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004

Cannot Find Server posted:

Think for a second about the amount of tricks that have been discovered as 'TAS-only' that people figure out how to do anyway, though.
Well, if you've seen either Romscout or Mecharichter spend literal hours trying to grind one heart refresh drop for either low% or pacifist runs, for this to require two back to back specific drops, it's not hard to declare such a drop dependent strategy as functionally impossible.

SevenStringGuru
Jun 6, 2003

Bob Loblaw Law covers all injuries, including those sustained while trying to 4x4 a segway.

Nice job! Times keep dropin for you this week :D

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Cannot Find Server posted:

This one though... I think Rom said that it was something like 1/4100 RNG to get the drops and everything else you need, and then it's a frame perfect trick to actually pull it off or something like that? It seems pretty dumb in a non-TAS setting.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

The Rokstar posted:

This one though... I think Rom said that it was something like 1/4100 RNG to get the drops and everything else you need, and then it's a frame perfect trick to actually pull it off or something like that? It seems pretty dumb in a non-TAS setting.

Yeah, and 8 months ago people were making jokes about OoT any% runs going for tower skip...

(yes I realized a new method was found that turned it from being 100% RNG to being just a stupid difficult setup but they were funny jokes damnit)

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Cosmo posted a run of Town of ZZT that is pretty mindblowing if you're familiar with the game at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDZEroShhQ8

A few years ago I did my own ~15 minute run of the game so when I saw Cosmo going into the castle I was all excited because there's a bug that lets you skip ever going inside it.

But then he would up getting 3 purple keys from it when you only need 5 to beat the game!

At least I still have the title for Dungeons of ZZT...

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Anyone running/interested in Risk of Rain runs?

It's RNG to hell and back, but it's so much fun :unsmith:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I've been posting in the Risk of Rain thread, but I have been running it. I've been doing Monsoon mode, though. I keeping getting close to a great time and always screw up near the end. I did manage to get a 21:46 (video incoming) on Monsoon co-op, though. It can still be a lot faster.

As I said, I've been doing monsoon mostly but I think I'll give normal a shot to try and beat that 25:06.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

I've been posting in the Risk of Rain thread, but I have been running it. I've been doing Monsoon mode, though. I keeping getting close to a great time and always screw up near the end. I did manage to get a 21:46 (video incoming) on Monsoon co-op, though. It can still be a lot faster.

As far as I can tell there are 2 french dudes on SDA that are running on Easy (with a 21:56), Me and another guy on Normal, and you're repping Monsoon.

How does Monsoon compare to Normal for the runs? I haven't dipped too much into it, so I'm not sure if boss spawns are tied to time or level.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Way more elite monsters spawn on monsoon, with higher chances of random boss monsters as well as blighted versions of the normal enemies. Sometimes two of a boss will spawn as early as the third stage. It's consistently beatable with a good partner, but really tough to get done quickly solo.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
RWhiteGoose just, well, tied his record for Goldeneye 100%.

He's going to start another run in a second.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

AGDQ 14 registration is up. Didn't notice any static about it in here. Any other goons going?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Alteisen posted:

Surprised nobody's talking about this.

http://www.twitch.tv/dxtrslab/c/3228356

Dxtr got a 10:11 Batman time thanks to the Joker glitch.

I do believe this is the run, no way they get anymore out of this game.

Cyghfer (who found a ton of stuff in the game even though he's not interested in running it himself any more) says the run is beatable even without Joker glitch. BadBrakes will probably eventually get the record because he's using better strats that Dxtr is unwilling to grind out.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
romscout got a 17:55 in SotN without getting a sub-8 clock rush, not doing the library floor skip, and getting too many level ups in the second castle.

I hope he starts doing Ecclesia runs again, because I liked watching those.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

that Vai sound posted:

romscout got a 17:55 in SotN without getting a sub-8 clock rush, not doing the library floor skip, and getting too many level ups in the second castle.

Why did he go get the fairy card? I understood most of that run but that's one part I don't understand the point of.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
The fairy voice thing allows him to open up his menu while at the shop, which allows him to equip the garnet, which causes the inventory to underflow. Basically gives infinite gold and allows early purchase of duplicator. It was done with the sword familiar before people figured out how to get the fairy.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
I'd forgotten how the infinite money trick worked, thanks.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Heresiarch posted:

I'd forgotten how the infinite money trick worked, thanks.

Completely unrelated to the topic at hand, but is your avatar Borges?

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

ArfJason posted:

Completely unrelated to the topic at hand, but is your avatar Borges?

Yep. Why?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Nothing much really, I just really really really like his stuff despite not having read much of it. He's a famous Argentinian and it's surprising to see him outside of here. Book of Sand and Library of Babel are pretty ace. Still gotta read the aleph.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

ArfJason posted:

Nothing much really, I just really really really like his stuff despite not having read much of it. He's a famous Argentinian and it's surprising to see him outside of here. Book of Sand and Library of Babel are pretty ace. Still gotta read the aleph.

Borges is internationally renowned, actually, and is commonly considered one of the most important writers of the twentieth century. I'm honestly surprised that this isn't a point of national pride.

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

The second to last match of the SRL Mystery Game Tournament is about to start! http://www.speedrunslive.com/#!/SRLTourneys

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
NEW TMNT WR, 19:46.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Oh my god, Calebhart42 was on track to beat his MMX record by a couple seconds, and right after saying "We got a WR run in the bag" he chokes and loses it. It was too funny to even care that he didn't beat WR.

http://www.twitch.tv/calebhart42

SevenStringGuru
Jun 6, 2003

Bob Loblaw Law covers all injuries, including those sustained while trying to 4x4 a segway.

Alteisen posted:

NEW TMNT WR, 19:46.

:D Awesome!! Hated to miss it, I was driving around all day. Im assuming Krang actually cooperated. Was it deathless? That means there is a good chance of spinterface for TSSB!!

edit: GLOVE is LOVE for tssb. Glover will be the featured game, so check it out!

SevenStringGuru fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 17, 2013

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
SSBMstuff aka Saboom just beat his Spyro 3 WR by 0.4 seconds. He's doing some more runs right now.

http://www.twitch.tv/ssbmstuff?utm_campaign=live_embed_click&utm_source=speedrunslive.com

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SevenStringGuru posted:

:D Awesome!! Hated to miss it, I was driving around all day. Im assuming Krang actually cooperated. Was it deathless? That means there is a good chance of spinterface for TSSB!!

edit: GLOVE is LOVE for tssb. Glover will be the featured game, so check it out!

http://www.twitch.tv/sinisterwon/c/3254984

Yep here's the highlight.

God like starbase, Krang didn't cooperate to much but it was good enough, it really came down to the Shredder fight and thankfully he got the best possible pattern.

SevenStringGuru
Jun 6, 2003

Just watched the video, #datStarbase was intense. really happy to see sinister finally get the deathless run!!

SevenStringGuru
Jun 6, 2003

TSSB is ON THE AIR...This week we have Glover as the featured game with HeeHeex2 in da house! Check it out

vvv
e: I am not sure. I can't recall an episode dedicated to TAS, but during the show I have heard discussions similar to "well, in the TAS it does X,Y and Z. So our runner did <a,b and c>." Shoot them a tweet @TSSBreak im just pimping the show this week

SevenStringGuru fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Nov 18, 2013

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
Does TSSB cover TAS videos? I'd love to see an episode about a popular TAS like Mario 1 or Mario 64

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I've always wanted to see a TAS in creation and learn more about the process. TSSB doing a TAS show would be pretty cool, but I imagine it would draw a lot of dumb hate and controversy.

• Locked thread