Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Well Manicured Man posted:

"I was scared because i didn't know if he was a person, or a good one" is one of Lazerbot's best mangled sentences to date in a webcomic full of amazing mangled sentences. There's just something almost poetic about it.

Truly a deep existential question about human nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

That loving Sned posted:

That's some drat good MSPaint artwork. I've been looking for some other examples, such as this one:

He uses Gimp though.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
So she is sky, and he is blue. Romance was inevitable.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

"Then he laid down, and fell asleep. I could tell he was pretty tired."

This page is full of subtle gems.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Stupid idiot doesn't even take his shoes off before putting his feet in the water.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
For someone so pent up on homosexuals, this page is pretty gay.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Sonic how you ganna go fast with wet shoes

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Rather Dashing posted:

The first time I saw the page before this one, which shares the same art style, I thought LazyB was doing another Tails gets Gay page.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Man my leg is hurt pretty bad and bleeding all over the place...time for a nap!

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Sindai posted:

Man my leg is hurt pretty bad and bleeding all over the place...time for a nap!

It works for Fallout 3 and New Vegas, it works for TGT, dammit

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Panel 7, god drat

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Data Graham posted:

Panel 7, god drat

There seem to be about 1000 individually drawn blades of grass in it, imagine the focus required for that.

Ritalin maybe?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Rather Dashing posted:

It's romance, you philistines. This is like saying Balzac's Le lys dans la vallée is gay.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tortuga posted:

Stupid idiot doesn't even take his shoes off before putting his feet in the water.

The joke is sonic characters don't actually have feet.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 16, 2013

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Tortuga posted:

There seem to be about 1000 individually drawn blades of grass in it, imagine the focus required for that.

Ritalin maybe?

I was actually more impressed by the crazy perspective on those striding legs.

It's not good art certainly, as a whole, but there are these wacky spikes of crazy quality poking up here and there.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

cmykjester posted:

The joke is sonic characters don't actually have feet.

Holy poo poo, that looks official, how could something that hideous be canon?! I've got to resea-

ARGH GOD NO

What did I think would happen if I googled "Sonic's feet??

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Why would you Google Sonic anything? It's like a one way ticket to the bowels of the Internet.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

caleramaen posted:

Why would you Google Sonic anything? It's like a one way ticket to the bowels of the Internet.

A fun game to play is to google your first name with "The Hedgehog" after it.

e: "fun"

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

What is it with autistic people and Sonic the Hedgehog, anyway?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Defiance Industries posted:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21984201

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

It's a video game. One that probably a lot of them played extensively when they were younger with a mix of as little social interaction as possible. You see kids get really obsessed over things from time to time but they usually grow out of it - this is pretty much that same obsession, only now with puberty, adult themes, and marfan's syndrome.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
One theory I've seen is that since Sonic characters have exaggerated hands and eyes, it makes reading emotions and reactions so much more easier for autistic people, who traditionally have problems reading those. Autistic people understand these characters much better, so they relate to them and ultimately draw and write art and fiction about them, which then turns out as disjointed and horrible in so many interesting ways. Because of autism.

It is quite interesting how Sonic in particular is the center of autistic attention, while other classic video game characters, such as Mario, Pac-man, or Donkey Kong are not, at least not with nearly same levels of popularity.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Laputanmachine posted:

One theory I've seen is that since Sonic characters have exaggerated hands and eyes, it makes reading emotions and reactions so much more easier for autistic people, who traditionally have problems reading those. Autistic people understand these characters much better, so they relate to them and ultimately draw and write art and fiction about them, which then turns out as disjointed and horrible in so many interesting ways. Because of autism.

It is quite interesting how Sonic in particular is the center of autistic attention, while other classic video game characters, such as Mario, Pac-man, or Donkey Kong are not, at least not with nearly same levels of popularity.

That's more what I was wondering. I get the point that Scarycave raises but if that was the case, it stands to reason Mario or Zelda or the Ghostbusters would have similar followings and they don't really seem to.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

That's more what I was wondering. I get the point that Scarycave raises but if that was the case, it stands to reason Mario or Zelda or the Ghostbusters would have similar followings and they don't really seem to.

Sonic gets marketed as a cool alternative to the Marios and Zeldas. It worked on an eight year old me - I guess for people who haven't (or can't) grow out of their obsession he still seems that way.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I would imagine that in the beginning, Sonic just had a clique of weird followers, which in turn attracted more weird followers regardless of whether the latter ones were originally into Sonic or not, and so forth. Social acceptance is powerful.

That, and what Laputanmachine said.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

There's a lot of freaky Peach art out there. Like that one horrid comic where she gets turned into a rubber ball, the one that gets posted on this site all the drat time for some reason. I'm pretty sure autists make themselves into Badass Sonic Original Characters because what are you going to do to make a fan character in the Mario world? Give yourself a moustache and overalls?

E: Well then again, Kario, but we can't all be Lazerbots

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.
Sonic also had the comics and SatAM cartoon pushing it as darker and more serious to fans, whereas Mario was always whimsical and wacky.

And as has been pointed out, it's a lot easier to create a fan self insert for Sonic, than it is Mario.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Aristobulus posted:

And as has been pointed out, it's a lot easier to create a fan self insert for Sonic, than it is Mario.

"Can you draw some kind of lovely anime raccoon? You can? Excellent!"

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

There was an overweight, badly autistic kid in my middle school gym class who insisted he was Sonic the Hedgehog. Everyone else just liked to laugh at him, but I'd tell him I'm Tails, and that "We gotta go super fast, Sonic!". He'd run his loving heart out, as I tagged along like player 2 on a Genesis. He'd get winded, and then happily exclaim "We did it!" or "Gonna need some chilli dogs after that!"

Haven't thought about that in fifteen years. I hope he's doing well.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21984201

Sonic the Hedgehog and autism go hand in hand.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Aristobulus posted:

Sonic also had the comics and SatAM cartoon pushing it as darker and more serious to fans, whereas Mario was always whimsical and wacky.

Sonic is a blank slate*- he has no family, and no defined personality other than 'fast' and 'has tude'. Everything else about Sonic is customizable. Mario comes with a lot of baggage if you're a kid fantasizing about being a video game character- he has a brother, and his quest is almost always to save Peach, not merely to stop the villain. Mario's already half-full of video game canon by the time 1990 rolls around; Sonic is an empty vessel, ready to contain whatever you want him to, even if that thing is being turned on by smelly feet

*This might be different in comics or that one cartoon, I have no idea- but I imagine once you're far enough down the rabbit hole to buy comics and DVDs, it doesn't matter anymore.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Die Laughing posted:

There was an overweight, badly autistic kid in my middle school gym class who insisted he was Sonic the Hedgehog. Everyone else just liked to laugh at him, but I'd tell him I'm Tails, and that "We gotta go super fast, Sonic!". He'd run his loving heart out, as I tagged along like player 2 on a Genesis. He'd get winded, and then happily exclaim "We did it!" or "Gonna need some chilli dogs after that!"

Haven't thought about that in fifteen years. I hope he's doing well.

I hope he's a marathon runner or something. It'd be like, the one good thing about Sonic fandom.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Gaseous Snake posted:

I hope he's a marathon runner or something. It'd be like, the one good thing about Sonic fandom.

He tried to spin dash and broke his neck and now he's paralyzed.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Sega does what Nintendon't, including accidentally developing a super-creepy fanbase for their mascot.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Gaseous Snake posted:

He made a special surprise guest cameo in Sonic 06.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

TwoPair posted:

Sega does what Nintendon't, including accidentally developing a super-creepy fanbase for their mascot.

:lol:
Yeah, there's definitely no super-creepy mario fanbase.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Wrist Watch posted:

:lol:
Yeah, there's definitely no super-creepy mario fanbase.
Certainly not on the same level.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

IronicDongz posted:

Certainly not on the same level.

This is getting a bit off topic, but lets just say, a few of us here have seen some things.
It totally does get to that level of creepiness. Sonic's just a lot more common.

Did Hindo die?

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

GorfZaplen posted:

A fun game to play is to google your first name with "The Hedgehog" after it.

e: "fun"

It's everything I thought it would be and more. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

FrenchToasty posted:

It's everything I thought it would be and more. :allears:

For the record, this is mine. I did not draw this in MSPaint, it is literally the first result for my name.