Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Any tips for Rune Factory 4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

PTizzle posted:

Thanks for the MGS4 help guys (that CQC guide was great). I'll just wing it and have fun with it then, I'm enjoying helping the rebels out so far and there always seems to be a few ways to tackle things. Will continue to abuse the tranq gun and the barrel until I'm more confident sneaking around.

Could somebody spoil me as to when the gigantic (45 minutes, I think?) cutscene is? I want to make sure I have enough spare time, as I tend to not play games for huge periods at once (usually at night after work etc).

End of act 3/start of act 4 has a lot of cutscenes, although I think there's a savepoint in there somewhere. Apart from that, after the final boss there's 60 minutes (!) of cutscenes before the credits.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
To be fair that's more like a really long ending rather than a cutscene.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

You can pause MGS4's cutscenes and the longer ones have multiple intermissions where you'll save before continuing. Yeah.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
What about Lost Planet: Extreme Conditions?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Nate RFB posted:

What is a good general framework for scheduling? Buy up as much as you can (to the point of having no money) on one day, and then spend the rest of the week selling it off without ever leaving the store? Maybe dungeon dive once a week as well during that shopping outing? How concerned should I be about missing plot events outside of the shop?

I don't think I ever spent more than one entire day in the shop per week. Almost every day I spent at least one time slot running out to the bazaar and guild to craft and get more stuff to sell, especially if there's a discount on them. Never feel like you have to sell off 100% of your inventory. By the end of the game you'll have a pile of old outdated crap, and that's fine, you'll have a use for it later on, but the stuff on your shelves always needs to be the absolute most expensive stuff you can manage to get there.

Think of it this way.

If half the items in your shop sell for 1000, and half of them sell for 100, spending a time slot in the shop will sell for an average sale of 600 per item. But if all of them sell for 1000, spending a time slot will get you 1000 per sale. Customers never come in and just plain leave if they don't like the selection. They always attempt buy something, and if all that's on the shelves is expensive stuff, you're going to make a big profit. This is why it's important to sell for 104% early, it gets their loyalty up, so they can afford the big-ticket items as the game progresses. Even the little girl gets a max buying value of like 50,000 pix.

So in short, it's a lot more efficient to spend a time slot running to the guild to stock up on as many expensive items as you can, then to spend one time slot selling, than it is to spend two time slots selling much less valuable backstock. In practice it'll be more like one time slot stocking up (or two if you do a dungeon run), per three spent in the shop, but you get the idea. I don't feel like I explained this very well, did that all make sense?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Neverwinter Nights 2? I've heard of it so much, but next to nothing about it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Average Bear posted:

It's the classic "you were abandoned as a child and raised by the mysterious man on the edge of the village". From there, it starts with the typical explore the village tutorial before setting you loose on the nearby world because monsters attacked your village.

You pick up various NPCs as you progress, sarcastic rogue elf, stoic drunken brawler dwarf, serious mystical druid, etc. and progress towards a major city, Neverwinter. The characters you pick up have extensive backstories you open up through dialogue/skill checks and reputation increases from agreeing with their point of view during encounters. Each character also has their own companion missons that pop up eventually and allow them to gain permanent bonuses/decide their loyalties.

The game kicks into "major world spanning threat" near the halfway point and you become a major player in the game world getting your own castle to manage. The keep management aspect is really broken and hard to figure out, but there are plenty of guides that lead you through it.

The game gets really, really good for a while then completely falls apart at the end. The last level is a complete slog, and while the final boss fight is really interesting the actual ending is god-awful.

Mask of the Betrayer is all around one of the best written and directed CRPGs ever made. The narration is incredibly well done, the characters all have complex and detailed personas and the high level combat is actually more then just "mages kill everything"

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Average Bear posted:

Cut 'n' paste of one of my previous posts:

NWN2 (and NWN before it) basically assume that already you know AD&D 3.5. The manual contains all the rules you need to know, but the game doesn't really try to teach you. If you don't know D&D and want to learn it, there's a fuckton of info on the net, just look around. (caveat; the current version of D&D is 4.0, which is so massively different that it's practically a new game. Fortunately, many many people are still clinging to 3.5)

If you know a bit about D&D, go with a fighter, wizard, or monk, and just choose the default options. IMHO, the only really weak class is the rogue.

Spellcasters are god mode starting around lvl 8 or so. You can rest almost anywhere, so you can blow your entire wad on each encounter, rest, repeat. Stoneskin and Greater Stoneskin in particular break the game completely. Also, monks become godly at around lvl 8; they hit hard, have great AC, and are immune to most status effects.

Yes, Neeshka is annoying. Yes, you have to take her. When you get to Neverwinter, you can kick her in the box and make her stay at the inn. (well, you can leave her.)

Following Khelgar's storyline gives him an uber-weapon.

When you're done, check out some of the fan-made modules. Like all user content, 99% of them are pure crap, but since roughly 683 bazillion were created, that translates to several dozen that are well worth playing.

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE

Count Chocula posted:

What about Lost Planet: Extreme Conditions?

The wiki's got you covered: http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Lost_Planet_1

Generally you can play fast and loose as long as you have enough T-Eng to regenerate your health. You can run past enemies if they don't have you pinned down or can't chase you. Just try not to get backed into a corner or stun locked.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

McCoy Pauley posted:

This is great -- thank you!

Edit: do you mind if I add it to the wiki?

Go for it!

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Nate RFB posted:

I'm playing Recettear, and I'm wondering about the "Sell at 104%" advice on the wiki. I only have three days left until the first payment and I'm only at around 5,000 whatever. Is it better in the beginning of the game to savescum a bit and see how how high you can sell stuff? Or stick to dungeoning to get free items and thus maximize profit?

Don't dungeon dive. Early on you don't have much inventory space, the drops are crap, and all in all it's not worth it. Buying from wholesaler and selling things is much more profitable. Only go dungeon diving when you've already got the amount needed for the payment.

Though you'd want to sell the items for 104% for the hearts, the maximum you can sell at is roughly 120% for Man, 115% for Woman, 110% for Old Man and 105% for Cheap rear end Little Girl, IIRC. Double for red items, half for blue. The party members can usually go higher, if you need, but if they want a top item or weapon they could actually use, then it's useful to still sell it to them even if for loss.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Average Bear posted:

Don't be discouraged by the slow and rather boring first chapter, the game gets better as it goes on. The ending is bad but who cares since Mask of The Betrayer continues from where it left off and is widely regarded as one of the most interesting RPG experiences in video games. It has one somewhat annoying gimmick but if you really hate it, it can safely and easily be disabled.

Storm of Zehir is completely separate and different and can mostly be ignored unless you really like its style.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Mzbundifund posted:

So in short, it's a lot more efficient to spend a time slot running to the guild to stock up on as many expensive items as you can, then to spend one time slot selling, than it is to spend two time slots selling much less valuable backstock. In practice it'll be more like one time slot stocking up (or two if you do a dungeon run), per three spent in the shop, but you get the idea. I don't feel like I explained this very well, did that all make sense?
I think so. I've already done so a little bit when I spent 2 days never leaving the store and running out of inventory. As long as I can make the payments this way I suppose I don't have anything to fear.

pigdog posted:

Don't dungeon dive. Early on you don't have much inventory space, the drops are crap, and all in all it's not worth it.
Fair enough. But don't I need to dungeon dive for fusion items? Also, what about that annoying wizard jerk who keeps bugging me about a slime liver/charred lizard/bat wing?

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005

pentyne posted:

It's the classic "you were abandoned as a child and raised by the mysterious man on the edge of the village". From there, it starts with the typical explore the village tutorial before setting you loose on the nearby world because monsters attacked your village.

You pick up various NPCs as you progress, sarcastic rogue elf, stoic drunken brawler dwarf, serious mystical druid, etc. and progress towards a major city, Neverwinter. The characters you pick up have extensive backstories you open up through dialogue/skill checks and reputation increases from agreeing with their point of view during encounters. Each character also has their own companion missons that pop up eventually and allow them to gain permanent bonuses/decide their loyalties.

The game kicks into "major world spanning threat" near the halfway point and you become a major player in the game world getting your own castle to manage. The keep management aspect is really broken and hard to figure out, but there are plenty of guides that lead you through it.

The game gets really, really good for a while then completely falls apart at the end. The last level is a complete slog, and while the final boss fight is really interesting the actual ending is god-awful.

Mask of the Betrayer is all around one of the best written and directed CRPGs ever made. The narration is incredibly well done, the characters all have complex and detailed personas and the high level combat is actually more then just "mages kill everything"

Sorry to nit pick but the rouge is a tiefling not an elf unlike the druid.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I just picked up Jade Empire; I've played most other Bioware games post-KOTOR (except for DA2) so I kind of know the drill, anything I should know?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
There is no "good or bad", rather, you have the Open Palm and Closed Fist. Open Palm being more sympathetic, Closed Fist being more decisive.

You can set your followers in support mode (do this) where they regenerate your health/stamina/chi depending on the follower.

Not much other than that, it is pretty "on rails", but, in my opinion, one of Bioware's finest games before they went off in the Mass Effect direction. The tropes are pretty generic, but really, just pick a style/character and go with it. Enjoy The Last Good Bioware Game (TM)

Make sure to talk to your companions after every major event, in order to get the most out of them.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Open Palm and Closed Fist are supposedly deep philosophies and not morality but in practice its the same goddamn dark side light side system so keep that in mind

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Grab Leaping Tiger for your starting Martial style, it's the best one (except maybe one of the ones you get way later).

Use Harmonic Combos, especially with Storm Dragon (Storm Dragon is pretty broken on its own).

Any fight in the game can be completely stomped using the Jade Golem transformation, including all of the major enemies all the way to the final boss.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

theshim posted:

Use Harmonic Combos, especially with Storm Dragon (Storm Dragon is pretty broken on its own).

Just to show you how harmonic combos work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCtao0QF2QE

Bemis
Jan 5, 2010

PJOmega posted:

Any tips for Rune Factory 4?

Crafting is king. Don't bother buying weapons or armor, they cost too much and you can always make a tier above whats for sale. Reinforcing is an easy way to get skill ups if you're low on materials.
Do all the festivals.
You can give NPCs equipment.
If you want an easy way to farm wood and stone, hit up the fields outside of town but don't till them. Tilling them stops weeds, stones and wood from spawning.
Remember where the rune plants/stones are. They're a quick and easy way to get back to full.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Bemis posted:

Crafting is king. Don't bother buying weapons or armor, they cost too much and you can always make a tier above whats for sale. Reinforcing is an easy way to get skill ups if you're low on materials.
Do all the festivals.
You can give NPCs equipment.
If you want an easy way to farm wood and stone, hit up the fields outside of town but don't till them. Tilling them stops weeds, stones and wood from spawning.
Remember where the rune plants/stones are. They're a quick and easy way to get back to full.

Thanks. Any "DO NOT SELL" items?

Bemis
Jan 5, 2010

PJOmega posted:

Thanks. Any "DO NOT SELL" items?
All your money really comes from farming.
You always have plenty of space in your storage for materials, so I wouldn't sell those unless I felt like it.
Some enemies are immune to damage (fire/dark/etc) so it pays to have an alternate weapon or 2.
I wouldn't sell any magic spells I planned on using, especially healing ones.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

monster on a stick posted:

I just picked up Jade Empire; I've played most other Bioware games post-KOTOR (except for DA2) so I kind of know the drill, anything I should know?

Explore like crazy. Talk to all your companions a lot. In particular, when you get to the city, talk to the crazy guy and do his sidescrolling-shooter missions repeatedly. You will eventually gain access to an area that gives huge rewards. Near the end, you can boink one companion.

Weapons are ok but can be ignored. When you meet John Cleese, you can do a minigame that gives you an obscene ranged weapon.

Transformation styles blow except for Jade Golem, which is insane.

Like a previous poster said, Open Palm and Closed Fist are supposed to be elaborate philosophies, but in practice they boil down to the standard Bioware "feed orphans or kick babies" dichotomy. (in fact if you become really evil you can kick the little puppies you see in the Imperial City) :twisted: Pick one or the other, it doesn't make a huge difference. Oh yeah, the final decision you make, to kill or poison the Water Dragon, gives so many good/evil 'points' that it overrides all your previous choices for the whole game. :rant:

At the very last fight, constantly change your fighting technique.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
Just got Binary Domain off PS+ freebies. Anything I should know going in?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Nohman posted:

Don't aim for the center of mass.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nohman posted:

Don't be efficient in your shooting. You get more credits for shooting robots to pieces then you do for just killing them. Don't pick Cain and Faye, you'll get plenty of time with them later in the game and loyalty does affect the ending somewhat.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Be friends with Big Bo, Big Bo is cool :)

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Bemis posted:

All your money really comes from farming.
You always have plenty of space in your storage for materials, so I wouldn't sell those unless I felt like it.
Some enemies are immune to damage (fire/dark/etc) so it pays to have an alternate weapon or 2.
I wouldn't sell any magic spells I planned on using, especially healing ones.

Will the tutorial teach me how to uproot stumps and break big rocks/materials, or should I be able to do that by day 2?

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

PJOmega posted:

Will the tutorial teach me how to uproot stumps and break big rocks/materials, or should I be able to do that by day 2?
The game does a great job holding the player's hand through pretty much everything. You'll keep learning more and getting important items by doing errands every day. It's a really chill game.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't be efficient in your shooting. You get more credits for shooting robots to pieces then you do for just killing them. Don't pick Cain and Faye, you'll get plenty of time with them later in the game and loyalty does affect the ending somewhat.

On loyalty - if you squadmates like you (you are effective in combat, not shooting them in the back, don't say stuff that will piss them off, etc.) there are some bonuses, like they'll offer to use special abilities more often.

Also shooting heads off robots kills their IFF and they start shooting other robots which is fun.

Gyshall posted:

You can set your followers in support mode (do this) where they regenerate your health/stamina/chi depending on the follower.

Yeah, I've noticed the followers are crap in attack mode, regardless of difficulty. Who is good for support? So far the only character who seems to have useful support is Dawn Star; the girl I guess regens health, and Henpecked Hou throws you wine bottles if I cared about Drunken Master. Really a shame because Black Whirlwind and Hou go all :black101: during the fight with Mother.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Nov 20, 2013

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, just pretend you're playing Dead Space and shoot off limbs left and right.

When it comes to upgrading, focus on your own gun first. Upgrading your teammates' weaponry will help them take stuff down more efficiently, but upgrading your own will keep you alive. You don't really need to bother with the special attack though, it's not that great.

Also, the odds of you stumbling on to the best ending by accident are remote, so when it comes to choosing who to take with you, just pick whoever you think would be best suited to the next area/whoever you like most.

Most important of all: don't bother with the voice commands. They barely work most of the time and they add next to nothing to the game.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

A few more things I wish I knew about Deus Ex HR:

* Enemy guards (whether conscious / alive or not) will turn off laser grid sensors as they pass through.

* Lasers and cameras can be temporarily turned off with a stun-gun zap.

* Anything that damages or destroys a camera will trigger an alarm - with the exception of an EMP blast. Anything at all that damages a laser will trigger an alarm.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Having obtained Endless Mode in Recettear, besides more items and levels for NG+ is there anything else I can do now that would carry over? Apparently I can only get one True Card per run except for Arma, who I can get now anyway (maybe?). I'm pretty sure I missed out on a lot of characters too, based on what I saw during the credits. I did wind up basically only ever going to the Market, Guild, and the shop. I think I wound up going to the dungeon maybe three times total. Can I still see some of that content even though it's no longer the main game anymore?

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
About to start a Mass Effect 3 playthrough having just blasted through the first two - the first line of the wiki says "For your first time through, play Soldier, Sentinel, or Infiltrator" with no explanation. Any particular reason for that? I just did ME2 as infiltrator and wanted to switch it up to vanguard or adept.

Also, do I want to just go for the extended cut right away or should I see the original ending first?

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

The extended cut and the original endings are more or less exactly the same. The extended cut just adds a fourth ending you can choose. You will feel deeply unsatisfied regardless.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

hampig posted:

About to start a Mass Effect 3 playthrough having just blasted through the first two - the first line of the wiki says "For your first time through, play Soldier, Sentinel, or Infiltrator" with no explanation. Any particular reason for that? I just did ME2 as infiltrator and wanted to switch it up to vanguard or adept.

Also, do I want to just go for the extended cut right away or should I see the original ending first?

You definitely want the extended cut.

Soldier, Sentinel, and Infiltrator are generally recommended for first-time playthroughs because they tend to fare the best against Reaper forces - Reapers are the hardest opponents you can face in single player, and you will need to deal with multiple armored opponents quickly - brutes and ravagers are nasty, and banshees stack barriers on top of armor.

Against Cerberus, the main worries are phantoms and engineers. Phantoms only show up after a certain point in the story, while engineers will deploy incredibly powerful turrets that will shred you. The other Cerberus troops aren't much of a problem - you can shoot guardians through their vision slot, stagger them, pull away their shield, or just use penetration stuff to shoot through the shield.

Geth are pretty nonthreatening.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 24, 2013

KoB
May 1, 2009

Cliff posted:

The extended cut and the original endings are more or less exactly the same. The extended cut just adds a fourth ending you can choose. You will feel deeply unsatisfied regardless.

They add some other bits that make it make more sense.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The extended cut is definitely superior but you might want to watch the original first to see what all the fuss was about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Renoistic posted:

The extended cut is definitely superior but you might want to watch the original first to see what all the fuss was about.

There's always youtube for that, I don't think it's worth playing through the game repeatedly just to see the bad endings on purpose.