Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

kastein posted:

Gee, wonder why the transmission wouldn't go into gear?

PS: transmissions run better on ATF than on water, especially when it's frozen.

(I am pretty sure that's a 93.5-98 jeep grand cherokee with a 4.0L engine, but could be wrong.)

So how can you tell what's wrong before you even remove the p...:aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

KodiakRS posted:

Not sure if you'd call this a mechanical failure but it certainly wasn't a mechanical success.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-EJ_Z4zHwg (Warning: Contains lots of gratuitous explosions)

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
It just kept exploding. And people kept sitting there watching it hurl propane tanks across the highway. :ussr:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

joat mon posted:

So how can you tell what's wrong before you even remove the p...:aaaaa:

Seriously, I was looking at the black spot on the right thinking "oh, had some water somehow freeze and pop a hole in the pan... which isn't there :asoiaf:"

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I was like, "man when did they start making clear plastic oil pans" and then I was like :aaaaa:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I didn't figure it out until I noticed there were no bolts holding the pan on...wait there's no pan lip...wait holy poo poo...
:stare:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I'm guessing that that happened because the owner has been running tap water in the radiator and rust has eaten a pathway between the coolant and ATF. More fail than meets the eye.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I just feel sorry for the poor bastard who pulled that pan in freezing weather.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Terrible Robot posted:

They're light-years ahead of the lovely ceramic/tin (or copper if you are lucky) bullshit that Volvo managed to get away with all the way up to 1993 on the 240.

Ugh. I remember those bastards from my '84 240. It would blow fuses all the time thanks to the PO trying to redo most of the dash wiring due to a fire he caused installing a stereo wrong. So I just got really good at changing them while driving while I slowly fixed all the stupidity.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

EightBit posted:

It just kept exploding. And people kept sitting there watching it hurl propane tanks across the highway. :ussr:
What were they gonna do? *Not* sit there watching it hurl propane tanks across the highway?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Godholio posted:

I didn't figure it out until I noticed there were no bolts holding the pan on...wait there's no pan lip...wait holy poo poo...

I love these ones. You sit there, looking at the image, wondering what the problem was and then suddenly it all comes into focus like one of those optical illusion images where the outline of a tree is also the silhouette of a panda or something.

And you're like, 'Ohhhhh.'

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

nmfree posted:

What were they gonna do? *Not* sit there watching it hurl propane tanks across the highway?

Although watching propane tanks jet around is undeniably awesome, I refer you to the 3:50 mark, where one of them attempts to make orbit and is still going up as it exits the frame. Who knows where it came down? Also I would not want to be around for any splinters to come whizzing by. The cameraman was especially crazy in not only staying too close but keeping his torso above the barrier. That guy in the VW had the right idea, he was just a bit slow to realize he needed to :siren: :getout: :siren:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I'd be sitting with my back to the barrier waiting for it to be over. Admittedly, I'd risk my hand by holding my cellphone over my head above the wall for video, but that's it. Russians be crazy.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Godholio posted:

Same... and then I sat there staring at it going "this really looks like the underside of a unibody vehicle I've worked on... but it has the wrong transmission, that panblock of ice is the wrong shape... wtf? oh. it's a grand cherokee with a chryco auto."

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Goddamn that video was awesome.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Mr-Spain posted:

Goddamn that video was awesome.

I had some random classical music playing on youtube, and right as the fire started it kicked into Ride of the Valkyries.

Video owned.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Is this enough for a core charge, guys?

this is the starter from the LQ9/SM465/one ton axled Jeep J10 on 40" tires I posted that had a flywheel explode. Flywheel went through the bellhousing, starter, exhaust, and half the frame. Part of it embedded itself in the pavement, the other parts took out the input shaft of the transmission, chunks of the engine block, the fuel lines, part of the wiring harness, a large section of the firewall, and destroyed the DBW throttle pedal while my friend was standing on it with only tennis shoes on. He walked away. He's buying a blowproof bellhousing for the rebuild... and a lottery ticket... and a flywheel that isn't a piece of poo poo.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
Close enough for government work..

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
Flywheels are the only part of a vehicle that still scare the piss out of me. It's why I love old dragsters where the guys are sitting on the trans / rear end.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

BMW powered L322 Range. Owner went a year and a half+ with out an oil change.

E: Cust complaint: Filter leaks, just replace filter. Yeah uh NO.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
1992 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. "Something's banging in the rear and it feels loose."

Both the struts and mounts were recently replaced and besides needing isolator pads on the ends of the leaf spring, something with the right rear trailing arm looked a little off:

What's going on with this control arm bracket?

Oh. :stare:

At least 12-14" of that unibody rail section is almost completely rotted away where the arm is supposed to attach and the rest isn't far behind. I'm not even sure I want to attempt to repair that. :psyduck:

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 17, 2013

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Is that load-bearing paracord?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah, no, that unibody is totaled. A 1992 Olds Cutlass hunk of poo poo is NOT worth enough to consider uniframe rebuilding/welding/repair.

Tell em to scrap the loving thing and buy another $400 beater.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That thing needs to be crushed.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That thing needs to be crushed.

A swift kick and it'd crumble to dust on its own.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah, jack up the front of it with a Hi-Lift and then kick it over and jump back. I bet it'd fold in half.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

cursedshitbox posted:

So what was all wrong with it as a result. Ive often wondered what happens if you dont replace cartridge filters.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Good lord, was he parking that thing every night in a kiddie pool full of salt water?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Preoptopus posted:

So what was all wrong with it as a result. Ive often wondered what happens if you dont replace cartridge filters.

Its gotta minor case of the knocks now.

I spent a half hour or so scooping that fucker out of the filter housing. :suicide:

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

cursedshitbox posted:

This seems like a lot of wear for a year and a half without a filter change. Is this kind of thing specific to cartridge filters? There must be tens of thousands of civics/camarys/etc. with filters of a similar age without this kind of issue.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Root Bear posted:

1992 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. "Something's banging in the rear and it feels loose."

Both the struts and mounts were recently replaced and besides needing isolator pads on the ends of the leaf spring, something with the right rear trailing arm looked a little off:

What's going on with this control arm bracket?

Oh. :stare:

At least 12-14" of that unibody rail section is almost completely rotted away where the arm is supposed to attach and the rest isn't far behind. I'm not even sure I want to attempt to repair that. :psyduck:
I'm not a civil lawyer, but I'd worry about your liability if you "fixed" that.

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud

Longinus00 posted:

This seems like a lot of wear for a year and a half without a filter change. Is this kind of thing specific to cartridge filters? There must be tens of thousands of civics/camarys/etc. with filters of a similar age without this kind of issue.

It looks like the adhesive holding the filter together gave out. If that is what happened, the same thing would likely happen to a spin-on filter made from the same materials. Given the attitude of the owner, I would either guess the filter is a cheap low end brand or that the owner drove an absolute poo poo ton of miles in the time that it had last been changed.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Longinus00 posted:

My car uses a similar cartridge filter. Went 8 months/8500 miles; filter was disgusting, but it was very much in one piece.

Like torpedan said, either a cheap filter (which is likely if it was done by most lube shops) and/or an absolute shitload of miles. Stuff like that is why I try to stick to name brands that don't start with "Fram".

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
person owned said rover for a year and a half and never changed the oil. who knows how old the filter actually is.
it also has the absolute hell driven out of it.
Its also the desert which is hell on cars.

This is the first one I have ever seen completely disintegrate.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Was his excuse for not changing it "it's a rover it doesn't need to be changed like your :smuggo: commoner cars

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
What kind of smarmy loving rear end in a top hat owns a expensive car but doesn't get the oil changed?

(Actually come to think of it, probably a lot of expensive car owners do this.)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

cursedshitbox posted:

person owned said rover for a year and a half and never changed the oil. who knows how old the filter actually is.
it also has the absolute hell driven out of it.
Its also the desert which is hell on cars.

This is the first one I have ever seen completely disintegrate.

Given they didn't want you to change the oil with the filter I would imagine the oil is far older than 1 year.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

What kind of smarmy loving rear end in a top hat owns a expensive car but doesn't get the oil changed?

Have you ever been to San Marino CA?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Wealth and financial intelligence have little to do with each other. Lots of, if not most, people make terrible financial decisions it's just that those that are well off can make dumb decisions without losing the roof over their head or their food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

I was a service valet at a Lexus dealership for a few months (worst job ever).

People with money are often tremendous idiots.