Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Both my boss and the CAO have told me they want me to meet with family members who are in I.T. and want to do business with us. Of course I'm not obligated just because it's my boss's brother/husband/sister-in-law, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:
People unable to follow instructions.

:v: The folder is at
\\Server\Directory\Your Directory
Please make sure you use the entire address, and don't just click the link outlook generates, as it will not generate a valid address due to the space.

:byodame: I tried and I still can't access \\Server\Directory\Your, even after copying and pasting! Please do the needful!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Never trust a man who owns a pig farm........

I was on a pig farm last week and they were using iPhones and iPads.

They've never seen that film though.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Guesticles posted:

People unable to follow instructions.

:v: The folder is at
\\Server\Directory\Your Directory
Please make sure you use the entire address, and don't just click the link outlook generates, as it will not generate a valid address due to the space.

:byodame: I tried and I still can't access \\Server\Directory\Your, even after copying and pasting! Please do the needful!

Ha, I had this exact thing the other day.

My email: "Just copy the document over to this location: \\servername\c$\Program Files\some\directory\for\documents"

Her response: "Am I supposed to be able to access this \\servername\c$\Program because I cannot"

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
The best Mondays seem to sneak out and surprise you in the worst ways. A simple purchasing review meeting just turned in finding out my budget got cut in half for next year. No input or review, just oh by the way we cut your budget in half. "Looks like some other departments took some of yours. Just kidding." I have 5yr old VM servers, 4.5yr old 200TB NAS's, and two dead servers that I can't get approval to replace. I can't even get a tape drive approved to backup the *omgcriticalfiles* on the dying NAS. gently caress this 100x. After I can get my bored-to-death tech outta here and get my own resume/linkedin/certs updated- I am outta here. Sorry, but this is NOT what I signed up for. /rage

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

caiman posted:

My email: "Just copy the document over to this location: \\servername\c$\Program Files\some\directory\for\documents"

Her response: "Am I supposed to be able to access this \\servername\c$\Program because I cannot"

Terminate your address with a \ and Outlook will fix the link. Example: \\server\share\two words\ will link the whole thing.
Or you could just put in a proper link? It's not hard.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

wintermuteCF posted:

Terminate your address with a \ and Outlook will fix the link. Example: \\server\share\two words\ will link the whole thing.

Just tried this. Doesn't seem to work.

wintermuteCF posted:

Or you could just put in a proper link? It's not hard.

I know better now, I guess.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Do you happen to own a pig farm?

I used to work at a trade school who - amongst other things - trained farmers.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Another grammar/spelling rant:

"CPU's" is pissing me off.

The PM from my last post about CPU core counts is still trying to figure out why two CPUs with eight cores each is "better" than four single core CPUs, and that a VM provisioned with one CPU with four cores is essentially the same as two CPUs with two cores each or four single core CPUs.

All of this talk is bringing "CPU's" to the forefront of my plate of shrimp syndrome and now I am noticing that poo poo everywhere.

The CPU doesn't have possession of anything. gently caress you.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

caiman posted:

No, she shouldn't have local admin rights on that server if she can't figure that out.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Agrikk posted:

Another grammar/spelling rant:

"CPU's" is pissing me off.

The PM from my last post about CPU core counts is still trying to figure out why two CPUs with eight cores each is "better" than four single core CPUs, and that a VM provisioned with one CPU with four cores is essentially the same as two CPUs with two cores each or four single core CPUs.

All of this talk is bringing "CPU's" to the forefront of my plate of shrimp syndrome and now I am noticing that poo poo everywhere.

The CPU doesn't have possession of anything. gently caress you.

Does it actually matter if you give a VM cores by adding cores to a socket or adding single core sockets? I'm assuming it's mainly to allow people to be flexible with software running on the guests which is licensed per socket, and then some edge cases where it's marginally faster with certain workloads?

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Caged posted:

Does it actually matter if you give a VM cores by adding cores to a socket or adding single core sockets?

Nope

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
And yeah, it's purely for software that's licensed per CPU rather than per core.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
What is it with people panicking when they read about 1/10 of an email?

nitrogen posted:

I've fixed DNS replication between ${HOST-A} and ${HOST-B}. It was broken due to some new firewall rules that were added. I've tested and its all 100% working now.

Some Project Manager posted:

cc: Manager; VP; SVP

Why is DNS replication broken? I told the customer it'd be working? WHY IS STUFF BROKEN OH GOD WHY ARE YOU SO BAD AT YOUR JOB ASSADGKL:JASDLFKAJSDGL

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Local fiber ISP that is notorious for never admitting there are problems on their end, even when its totally clear that is the case.

Been having a issue with them all day; connection keeps dropping every few minutes. Trace route shows a loop a few hops up in their network during these periods. One of the techs I talked to slipped up and mentioned all of their static IP customers where having the same issue. But yet every subsequent call back has been met with ignorance, even after giving them the ticket number. They will claim nothing is wrong on their end, we need to reboot our router, change DNS settings (wtf?), etc... Every call has taken a minute or so of arguing before they finally give me a drat status update.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

And yeah, it's purely for software that's licensed per CPU rather than per core.

Let me tell you about my 16 core processor :getin:

Though most software vendors have caught on to this now.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

caiman posted:

I know better now, I guess.

"How to paste links into outlook" 101:

1. Select link in source application
2. Ctrl+c
3. Switch to new mail window
4. Ctrl+v
5. Highlight the text you just pasted
6. Ctrl+k

You're welcome.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

And while you're copying and pasting poo poo into Outlook go and find that setting that removes the formatting from everything you paste.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

FISHMANPET posted:

Additionally, when you configure a multicore vCPU for a VM, you lose the ability to hot add/remove additional CPUs on the fly. So there's that.

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

Rhymenoserous posted:

Let me tell you about my 16 core processor :getin:

Though most software vendors have caught on to this now.

Yeah, I want to say Ms SQL licenses per core now?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Drighton posted:

Yeah, I want to say Ms SQL licenses per core now?

Mostly.

Because Microsoft cannot have a straightforward licensing plan that everyone understands, they have to gently caress up the straightforward counting of the cores on a database box with the SQL Server 2012 Core Factor Table.

loving guys.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Pretty sure Oracle is the same, our DBA confused the hell out of me when he said a 4 core license was fine for an 8 core server.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Agrikk posted:

Mostly.

Because Microsoft cannot have a straightforward licensing plan that everyone understands, they have to gently caress up the straightforward counting of the cores on a database box with the SQL Server 2012 Core Factor Table.

loving guys.
Why are you licensing new SQL Server installs on servers that are 5+ years old? For anything made since like Nehalem, it's per-core licensing unless you have a Bulldozer-architecture AMD CPU, in which case Microsoft gives you a discount because your integer cores aren't real cores.

Jesus, look at IBM's Processor Value Units if you want to complain about vendors doing incomprehensibly dumb poo poo with CPU licensing.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Caged posted:

And while you're copying and pasting poo poo into Outlook go and find that setting that removes the formatting from everything you paste.

That formatting info is occasionally useful however, and outlook isn't the only thing with rich clipboard support.

Take a look at http://stevemiller.net/puretext/

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Volmarias posted:

That formatting info is occasionally useful however, and outlook isn't the only thing with rich clipboard support.

Take a look at http://stevemiller.net/puretext/

Good god how have I gone all my life without this

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH gently caress PRINTERS!

It would be easier to address all these loving thumbdrives by hand.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
4 of our lead devs (3 in my dept) have quit in the past 3-4 months. Time to jump ship before it takes me down with it!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Today's fun: a Java application which insists on using a very particular, older JRE version, and upon not seeing it, happily connects the user to java.com, whereupon said application is amazed--amazed!--that the version it insists of using is no longer there. Maybe because the JRE it's looking for is 3 years old?

This application has had this horrible, broken behavior since before 2005, and several versions later they still haven't fixed it. :smithicide:

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Caged posted:

I finally found the setting in the option which allows text pasted in from other sources to be automatically set to 'Keep text only'. You still get the little paste control box so you can set it to one of the other options after you've pasted it if you really need to. This has made my life better.

Welp, that would've been much easier!

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Misogynist posted:

Jesus, look at IBM's Processor Value Units if you want to complain about vendors doing incomprehensibly dumb poo poo with CPU licensing.
This is why every Tivoli deployment automatically costs more in licensing every 18 months. "Can't even buy a 2 core server anymore? gently caress you, pay me"

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

gently caress scanners. I don't understand why this canon dr-2580c isn't showing up in the list of scanners in adobe. It is recognized as a scanner under devices. loving canon. I just plugged it into an identical machine with the same drivers (we move the scanner a lot) and it works fine. Did the usual uninstall drivers and software, etc too.

The_Groove
Mar 15, 2003

Supersonic compressible convection in the sun

Misogynist posted:

I know of a supercomputing center where IBM shipped them physical copies of licenses for the thousands of nodes running their filesystem. It was on a shipping pallet weighing ~800 pounds of just pure paper, cardboard, and plastic wrap. There's no activation codes or anything required to get the filesystem running either, just individually wrapped papers basically saying "Ok, you're licensed!". They're going to save it in case IBM ever audits them.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Stealthgerbil posted:

gently caress scanners. I don't understand why this canon dr-2580c isn't showing up in the list of scanners in adobe. It is recognized as a scanner under devices. loving canon. I just plugged it into an identical machine with the same drivers (we move the scanner a lot) and it works fine. Did the usual uninstall drivers and software, etc too.

I've found that some of the more recent Canon DR drivers are missing critical files necessary for TWAIN support. If you still have the CD for that one anywhere installing their lovely CapturePerfect software fixes it.

I put together a package of the necessary files, though this was for 64bit Win7 and based on a DR-5010C. Happy to send it to you, though no idea if it will help with a 2580.

Also are you using USB or SCSI?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Yes! More of today, please!

I've been pushing string uphill for the last week trying to get some fiber storage connected to some physical servers that have been racked and cabled for over a year (they're a part of our organization's IaaS offering), so all that needs to be done is for the Storage Operations team to provision the volumes and get them zoned.

I've been fielding requests for more information for a week now, despite the fact that really, all they need is:

server name
connection alias
two world wide names
volume sizes

and then go with their normal standards for high-availability, multipathing, etc.

Yesterday I get a late call from a storage guy saying he needs to meet with me today because he's having a configuration problem, so maybe I can sit with him and help him out.

So I go over there this morning and the help he needs is "How do I change the color of the text in a putty session from grey to green?"

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Lum posted:

I've found that some of the more recent Canon DR drivers are missing critical files necessary for TWAIN support. If you still have the CD for that one anywhere installing their lovely CapturePerfect software fixes it.

I had the same issue with one of their all-in-one printers that have a scanner.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
It's loving astounding how lovely scanner technology is, given that you can plus a camera into any computer and use it with pretty much no fuss whatsoever.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Agrikk posted:

So I go over there this morning and the help he needs is "How do I change the color of the text in a putty session from grey to green?"
Wha...how? I didn't really know you could change it as I never bothered changing it because I've never had an issue with the colors. So, after seeing this post I checked to see where the setting is. I had it figured out in less than a minute how to get the text green (and I'm still working on my first cup of coffee, so I'm still not fully thinking straight). Was he legally blind or something? I just don't get how he couldn't figure it out. Your everyday end user, sure, I've come to expect that, but a tech?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Edit: nope, I'm dumb.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

TWBalls posted:

Wha...how? I didn't really know you could change it as I never bothered changing it because I've never had an issue with the colors. So, after seeing this post I checked to see where the setting is. I had it figured out in less than a minute how to get the text green (and I'm still working on my first cup of coffee, so I'm still not fully thinking straight). Was he legally blind or something? I just don't get how he couldn't figure it out. Your everyday end user, sure, I've come to expect that, but a tech?

I changed my text in PuTTY to green because it's just more awesome :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Pissing me off: SharePoint Designer. Why does this stupid program so frequently get confused about which files are checked in and which aren't? SO OFTEN I see the little green check mark (an indication I have the file checked out) next to files that are actually, in fact, checked in. The only solution I've found is to exit the program, locate and delete its cache files, and then reopen the program and all the files I was working on. This is such a pain, because reopening all the files within Designer takes a while. And this poo poo happens all the time.