Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

You Am I posted:

Thank God I don't live in a place where it snows.

you should visit the high country when it snows- the number of chucklefucks around Perisher and Thredbo who probably cant drive on gravel, let alone snow is enough to make me take 30+km diversions around the FIRE TRACKS to avoid the worst bits around the snow fields if Im over that way in winter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That's the video I was trying to post originally, but I couldn't find it. :argh:

This is the only one that pissed me off yesterday. Well, last night, on my way home. The whole "I'm gonna nail the brakes, then swerve back into the road and force other cars to hit their brakes while I'm making a left turn when I have my very own lane! :downs:" bit got under my skin.

Not the worst thing out there by far, of course. If this is the worst thing I can bitch about, then it's been a really good day.

Might want to turn your volume down a bit unless you like 30 Seconds To Mars at high volumes...

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Nov 16, 2013

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Ephphatha posted:

Motorcycle low beams are wired to the ignition, you have to actually disable the lights (wire in a switch etc) to be able to run a bike with no lights on. So he's an rear end in a top hat.

Only on newer motorcycles. It varies across years and across brands. For instance, my Honda CB650 has a headlight switch that was disabled with a jumper in-between the handlebar switch connector, and if you removed the jumper you gained full functionality of the switch. My 2009 Enfield has a functioning switch, but as discussed before an Enfield isn't anything to go by legally or mechanically in any example, so it can be disregarded.

Some states started requiring it in 1979, but federally there is no law requiring it. I think that only 30 states require it (can't find an exact number right now). There was also that period in the US when everyone thought DRL were the poo poo so even the motorcycle manufacturers that made switch-equipped models for the states that allowed it stopped for awhile.

The guy is still an rear end in a top hat, though.

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO
I was sitting in the supermarket parking lot the other day, after backing my 96 Sonoma into a spot, just counting up some tip money so I knew I had enough before I went in the store, and this maybe 18-19 year old girl hops into her car next to me. Her car is facing the opposite way as mine, so our driver's sides were adjacent. She swings her door open and it goes CLUNK into my front fender. I look up, instinctively give my horn a quick blip and gesture to her "are you serious?" but I sit and finish counting up my money another couple seconds before getting out of the truck. I gracefully eited my vehicle, keenly aware of the speed, weight, position and trajectory of my driver's side door, and inspected what turned out to be no damage whatsoever (not that I would have cared, it's a beater, let's be real) and I looked at her, just sitting in her car, texting/ignoring me. I had half a mind to knock on her window until she opened it up, but I guess some part of me didn't feel like confronting the dumb twat, or maybe that it wasn't really worth getting frustrated about sine the truck was no worse for wear. Part of going to the supermarket closest to my apartment is lowering your expectations of humanity, so I wasn't all that surprised.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Geirskogul posted:

Only on newer motorcycles. It varies across years and across brands. For instance, my Honda CB650 has a headlight switch that was disabled with a jumper in-between the handlebar switch connector, and if you removed the jumper you gained full functionality of the switch. My 2009 Enfield has a functioning switch, but as discussed before an Enfield isn't anything to go by legally or mechanically in any example, so it can be disregarded.

My 76' Kawasaki KZ650 has low beams always on with a rocker for switching to high, and my 66' Yamaha YDS3 just has a simple switch for on and off. Agreed completely that it varies a lot, especially from about 1975-1990.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Seattle and Portland compete for ground zero of the new wave* of hipster shitheads who have taken up motorcycling as fashion, and somewhere on the laundry list of missing components they've removed to feel closer to the pure essence of motorcycling I'm sure there's bound to be something critical to headlight function. That or the water kicked up from the usual Seattle rain bypassed the now-missing front fender and shorted the lamp out. Either way, odds are the bike at one point had a working always-on headlamp that is now in some way broken.

* the old wave still riding Harleys wouldn't be caught dead out in so much as a drizzle, so that rules them out.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I was in Vietnam recently and wished I had documented the traffic there better. Millions of motorscooters and nobody, I mean nobody, follows any basic driving rules. Drive against traffic? Who cares. Red light? Says you. Clockwise round about? You mean anticlockwise. Paved median? Speed bump for my u-turn. Pedestrian crossing? Start/finish line. One vehicle per lane? You mean three. No passing? OK, I'll pass on the left, or the right, or the sidewalk (where I usually park). The traffic is shoulder to shoulder, mirror to mirror peds, bicycles, scooters, cars, busses and trucks.

The funny thing is, compared to Thailand (where people tend to follow the rules, there is colossal gridlock, and you are 4x more likely to die in a traffic accident than in the US) traffic keeps moving - but at 30 mph max, usually more like 10 in the city, and you're only 2.5x as likely to die as in the States.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

blk posted:

I was in Vietnam recently and wished I had documented the traffic there better. Millions of motorscooters and nobody, I mean nobody, follows any basic driving rules. Drive against traffic? Who cares. Red light? Says you. Clockwise round about? You mean anticlockwise. Paved median? Speed bump for my u-turn. Pedestrian crossing? Start/finish line. One vehicle per lane? You mean three. No passing? OK, I'll pass on the left, or the right, or the sidewalk (where I usually park). The traffic is shoulder to shoulder, mirror to mirror peds, bicycles, scooters, cars, busses and trucks.

The funny thing is, compared to Thailand (where people tend to follow the rules, there is colossal gridlock, and you are 4x more likely to die in a traffic accident than in the US) traffic keeps moving - but at 30 mph max, usually more like 10 in the city, and you're only 2.5x as likely to die as in the States.

Thailand is a much richer, more industrialized country with more cars(actually one of the biggest car-making nations in the world, on par with Canada and bigger than Britain or France) and more roads, so it wouldn't surprise me that more people die on them.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
The numbers are based on motorists, though, not total population. There is definitely enough traffic density in VN for it to be an issue.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
I speed up when someone tries to pass me on the right. Because, like, if I'm in the right passing lane and someone passes me on the left, I'm not going fast enough, clearly. I just happen to stay next to the guy until he runs into the slower traffic in the travel lane. :getin:

Also, a lot of the fastest drivers I see on the road drive Priuses, strangely enough.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

rcman50166 posted:

I speed up when someone tries to pass me on the right. Because, like, if I'm in the right passing lane and someone passes me on the left, I'm not going fast enough, clearly. I just happen to stay next to the guy until he runs into the slower traffic in the travel lane. :getin:

Also, a lot of the fastest drivers I see on the road drive Priuses, strangely enough.

Is GBS leaking again?

Team140
Dec 13, 2005

rcman50166 posted:

That makes you an rear end in a top hat. The person is trying to get past you because you are going slower than him. I miss my Cadillac STS for people just like you. It caught everyone by surprise when you went to pass someone. It had a brutal pull from 50-70

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

rcman50166 posted:

I speed up when someone tries to pass me on the right. Because, like, if I'm in the right passing lane and someone passes me on the left, I'm not going fast enough, clearly.
You're being a knob. Get out of the hammer lane.

rcman50166 posted:

I just happen to stay next to the guy until he runs into the slower traffic in the travel lane. :getin:
Assuming, of course, your car is actually fast enough to do this.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

rcman50166 posted:

I hope you're being sarcastic because otherwise gently caress you.

Keep right except to pass. If you are loafing around in the hammer lane and someone comes up behind you and has to pass on the right because you are too dumb to get out of the left lane you are being a right oval office.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
If you're in the middle of three lanes with the left lane completely open and someone tries to pass you on the right, ehh, I can see doing this. It's obviously safer just to let him pass and forget about it, but I'd be lying if I said if I've never done this. But if you're in the far left lane already, gently caress you.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

rcman50166 posted:

I speed up when someone tries to pass me on the right.

I run people like you into the shoulder as I merge back into the left lane.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

These are the people you share a forum with.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

pkells posted:

If you're in the middle of three lanes with the left lane completely open and someone tries to pass you on the right, ehh, I can see doing this. It's obviously safer just to let him pass and forget about it, but I'd be lying if I said if I've never done this. But if you're in the far left lane already, gently caress you.

If I'm driving along in the right lane and you're sitting there in the middle lane I'm generally not going to bother changing over two lanes just to go by.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

jamal posted:

If I'm driving along in the right lane and you're sitting there in the middle lane I'm generally not going to bother changing over two lanes just to go by.

I wouldn't either, and I don't mind that being done to me. I'm thinking about when the car directly behind me decides he'd rather go to the right and squeeze in between the car ahead of him in the right lane and me in the center lane as opposed to a nice easy pass on the left. I see that way too often down here in SC.

But I don't think that's what the post I quoted was referring too.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...
In Austin, it's usually the Prius drivers that piss you off. Case in point, these two knuckleheads within a day of each other. At least my horn works in both cars. And I didn't use profanity in either case, I must be getting too used to this poo poo. Also, NPR on the radio. Am I old?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-htM3GyyQSk

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
But there's a yield sign on your side?

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

CharlesM posted:

But there's a yield sign on your side?

As is on his.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 22, 2018

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah, I figured, I see the Prius is coming in later too but it's kinda hard to tell from the vid the nature of the intersection.

Around here they've put TWO yield signs on some onramps but it still doesn't seem to matter.

As I like to post though, the more signs there are, the less people read. I don't even mean this facetiously, it's a true behavior.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 22, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Austin is one of the oddest places I've ever driven, they have some really weird ideas they've built out that would have caught me unaware if I hadn't been paying close attention to signs.

The weird rear end underpasses on I-35 (which is where the first clip in that video is) that let you do a u-turn without crossing any traffic makes sense in some ways but holy crap did I see a lot of people loving them up.. even folks with Texas plates who I assume live there and are used to them had an enormous habit of swerving across fast moving traffic.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh yeah, I'm not trying to excuse anyone. I mean I could see the mistake of entering the road but then cutting across all three lanes is just being an rear end in a top hat.

Krakkles posted:

It's honestly something I've never seen outside of Texas, so if you haven't been there/driven much there, you wouldn't know :)
I agree, but those intersections aren't hard to navigate - it's literally a yield sign and nothing else. You're right that people do that, but it can't really be blamed here.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

xzzy posted:

The weird rear end underpasses on I-35 (which is where the first clip in that video is)

It's actually 183 and Braker but 1/2 the intersections of main roads and freeways in Austin look exactly like this. Easy mistake.

As pointed out, he should pull into the left lane, not cut immediately across 3 lanes for his Chik-Fil-A fix. It's very common there though. He's lucky I was in my wife's Golf R and not my Range Rover. The video could have ended much differently.

edit: gotta ask. Does that video quality look okay to everyone once bumped to HD? I'm playing with different locations for the GoPro.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 22, 2018

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

The path I take to get on the expressway every morning is outlined in blue. There's a green left arrow at that light and the red line is the path someone would take if they were on the frontage road going east and wanted to go west. There's a yield sign where the red dot is. I think I've seen exactly one car yield for left turning traffic getting on the expressway in a year of taking this route to work. Almost been run into by probably a dozen cars in the same time frame.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Krakkles posted:

The quality looks fine, I'd say the mounting location on the RR looks better - only really shows the hood, not so much the dash. Don't know if you can pull it off on the Golf, though - I'm guessing the windshield rake screws it up.

I think I'd have to point it at the sky to avoid the huge expanse of dash. I can already see a bit of the top winshied frame as-is. I guess I can live with it. Or mount it outside on the roof to get the same view as the Rover. :)

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

rscott posted:

I think I've seen exactly one car yield for left turning traffic getting on the expressway in a year of taking this route to work. Almost been run into by probably a dozen cars in the same time frame.

I see that all the time here. People are too lazy to look over their shoulder and too oblivious to the traffic pattern to care. 'What I can't see can't hurt me' I guess.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
I have been posting nearly exclusively in GBS recently. It's hard to adjust.

I'm glad to see so many people getting mad over that though, it is the correct response.

Edit: my lovely L200 isn't fast enough :(

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

rcman50166 posted:

I have been posting nearly exclusively in GBS recently. It's hard to adjust.

I'm glad to see so many people getting mad over that though, it is the correct response.

Edit: my lovely L200 isn't fast enough :(

Why, what's the appeal over there?? New GBS drives me away just reading it.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It's a helluva lot better than it used to be. Reading GBS was an exercise in not taking fistful of pills and chasing them with a gallon of everclear. It had turned into D&D lite

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Tide posted:

It's a helluva lot better than it used to be. Reading GBS was an exercise in not taking fistful of pills and chasing them with a gallon of everclear. It had turned into D&D lite

The "new" GBS has gone back to its roots and is tons better for it.

Kill-9: How does your GoPro handle the night? I'm interested in getting one for dashcam work as well but do a significant amount of driving at night.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
The new GBS was irritating at first, and I still miss the spaceflight megathread, but I'm starting to warm up to it. It definitely gets more laughs out of me than the "old" one did. The "Adventures of Satan" CYOA in particular was an incredible(y disgusting) thread.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Terrible Robot posted:

The new GBS was irritating at first, and I still miss the spaceflight megathread, but I'm starting to warm up to it. It definitely gets more laughs out of me than the "old" one did. The "Adventures of Satan" CYOA in particular was an incredible(y disgusting) thread.

Sorry for the derail (I don't have PMs), but the Spaceflight Megathread has been relocated to the Science, Academia, and Languages subforum of A/T, here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3580990

It's a great thread and a neat subforum. :)

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

KakerMix posted:

Kill-9: How does your GoPro handle the night? I'm interested in getting one for dashcam work as well but do a significant amount of driving at night.

Just for you I'll shoot some night video tomorrow. Watch this space. :) I won't say it's great. It tends to slow down the shutter speed some which can cause a bit of blurring during fast motion. You'll see in the video.

I originally got the camera for this 11-day Grand Canyon trip and now have no good use for it so it stays in the car with me. There are better, and cheaper, dashcams out there, obviously, but this one is paid for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Michael Scott posted:

Why, what's the appeal over there?? New GBS drives me away just reading it.

The humor isn't for everyone. Imagine everyone trying to troll everyone and that's the sort of posting that goes on. Hence why what I said made people mad