Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

superh posted:

Select is now "Share", start has become "Options" and that just brings up the menu. I tried clicking and pressing everything else and I've had no success. I'm gonna brave the official forums and ask.
Aw, that sucks. Seems like it's something they could do with the touchpad, though (tap a corner or something).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
As a stupid newbie, are there tips on how best to hedge my bets on earning good loot?

texasmed
May 27, 2004
I think early on the priority should just be on unlocking more missions and areas of the map. Sedna/Kappa is far away for a newb and bosses are probably the best way to farm stuff early on.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Feenix posted:

As a stupid newbie, are there tips on how best to hedge my bets on earning good loot?

Loot in the sense of items in this game pretty much boils down to frame parts or occasionally special weapon blueprints (many of which are bad) and those are random as to getting what you want, but a guaranteed drop for specific missions. You are never going to get a completed gun or frame dropped for you outright, you'll always be building them. For resources, just go to the planet that has the resources you need and do missions there. Defense, mobile defense, and survival are your best bets for farming resources. For rarer resources (orokin cells, neurodes, etc.) you'll want to farm the boss of that planet. For control modules just do one void mission and you're set for life.

Edit: What the guy above said as well. Don't worry about grinding for loot early on. Just focus on unlocking planets and getting a regular braton ASAP.

vvvv While true about defense/mobdef/survival, bosses can sometimes drop 2+ of the resource plus a guaranteed frame part bp from mission completion. For a new player the income from selling the frame part bps is really useful. Def/mobdef and survival in particular also usually need a bit higher level player in terms of mods than bosses do.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 19, 2013

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Rare resources are better dropped by defense, mobile defense, or survival missions on appropriate planets. Bosses have one chance to drop them, but hordes of enemies have many (individually smaller) chances to do so, and besides that you'll be getting a bunch of XP.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Crossposting from the PS4 thread:

Crowbear posted:

:siren: Warframe goons :siren: I've got a Barracks building in the clan Dojo that'll let us have up to 30 members, so you should definitely shoot me a PM either here or to PSN ID: ohajj01 so you can find other goons to play with and help build out our sweet sweet Dojo*.

* The Dojo is not very sweet yet (it's just foyer and an intersection right now) but it'll get there!

I dunno if someone else went ahead and made a clan but if not I'll keep this one running until we see if they'll let us join PC clans eventually.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

chumbler posted:

Loot in the sense of items in this game pretty much boils down to frame parts or occasionally special weapon blueprints (many of which are bad) and those are random as to getting what you want, but a guaranteed drop for specific missions. You are never going to get a completed gun or frame dropped for you outright, you'll always be building them. For resources, just go to the planet that has the resources you need and do missions there. Defense, mobile defense, and survival are your best bets for farming resources. For rarer resources (orokin cells, neurodes, etc.) you'll want to farm the boss of that planet. For control modules just do one void mission and you're set for life.

Edit: What the guy above said as well. Don't worry about grinding for loot early on. Just focus on unlocking planets and getting a regular braton ASAP.

vvvv While true about defense/mobdef/survival, bosses can sometimes drop 2+ of the resource plus a guaranteed frame part bp from mission completion. For a new player the income from selling the frame part bps is really useful. Def/mobdef and survival in particular also usually need a bit higher level player in terms of mods than bosses do.

Is a regular Braton best obtained via building it from blueprints or should I use Plat?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Feenix posted:

Is a regular Braton best obtained via building it from blueprints or should I use Plat?

Don't buy weapons with plat. Buy things with plat that you can't obtain through grinding: inventory slots, colors, etc. Besides, blueprints are cheap, and if you just keep playing you'll have enough mats for anything!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Feenix posted:

You buy the regular braton outright with just credits. See the OP for a list of things that are worth spending platinum on (not weapons).

vvvv That is most likely the primary weapon experience login bonus. It uses the braton icon and has a number at the bottom. There are also secondary weapon and frame experience login bonuses, and maybe melee too, but I don't recall off the top of my head. You will grow to hate getting those instead of something useful, especially when you logged out with a maxed out weapon.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 19, 2013

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Just bought the Braton. So I got a logon reward. It was a gun. Kinda looked like a Braton. Can't find hide nor hair of anything indicating what I got. Very hard to figure out...

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Feenix posted:

Just bought the Braton. So I got a logon reward. It was a gun. Kinda looked like a Braton. Can't find hide nor hair of anything indicating what I got. Very hard to figure out...

Login rewards are blueprints, so check your foundry. There are different buttons letting you sort through from frame parts, melee, primary, secondary weapons, etc. You probably got a Gorgon blueprint or something.

Edit: If it looked a lot like a braton, it probably had some numbers under it. If you didn't click like a madman, the hover text would have been "Primary weapon xp", so it's 99% likely that.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Dapper Man posted:

Yeah, there was something about reading Armor 2.0 hate mail at 3 in the morning Wednesday.

Here's a slightly better image of Berserker.

She looks to be holding a new weapon.

I know this was from page one, but I wanted to use it as a springboard for a gripe of mine: I really don't like how most of the female warframes look.

This isn't specifically a social justice-ish issue either, I just feel that they're a lot less focused in their designs than most of the male warframes (like Loki, who is crazy focused in his design and imitation of ninja garments down to the organic Gi, or Excalibur and his fencing suit, or Frost's thick nobleman-esque jacket that's fitting for a heavy spellcaster), and are mostly just "Muscular Naked Lady with weirder head/fur mane/claws/etc." (though I do appreciate that they actually do have some visible muscle in their weird moldy ninja getup, big step up from most games.)

Saryn is probably the most focused of them though, and I definitely dig the weird pustule-covered gauntlets, and Mag is a close second.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 19, 2013

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Neurolimal posted:

I know this was from page one, but I wanted to use it as a springboard for a gripe of mine: I really don't like how most of the female warframes look.

This isn't specifically a social justice-ish issue either, I just feel that they're a lot less focused in their designs than most of the male warframes (like Loki, who is crazy focused in his design and imitation of ninja garments down to the organic Gi, or Excalibur and his fencing suit, or Frost's thick nobleman-esque jacket that's fitting for a heavy spellcaster), and are mostly just "Muscular Naked Lady with weirder head/fur mane/claws/etc." (though I do appreciate that they actually do have some visible muscle in their weird moldy ninja getup, big step up from most games.)

Saryn is probably the most focused of them though, and I definitely dig the weird pustule-covered gauntlets, and Mag is a close second.

Banshee and Nova have pretty good designs IMO. Banshee has a ton of sound waves everywhere and Nova's cracked porcelain look is pretty appropriate.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Banshee and Nova have pretty good designs IMO. Banshee has a ton of sound waves everywhere and Nova's cracked porcelain look is pretty appropriate.

Yeah I looked at the wiki and realized I glossed over Banshee which actually looks pretty good, I suppose the designs will grow on me more when I actually get them in-game and can take a better look at them. the Valkyr frame just didn't impress me and reminded me of that gripe.

VVV I think the frames are straight up just suits? In Defense you're defending a "Warframe capsule" that's just a (rather angular) guy in a cryopod.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 19, 2013

Dapper Man
Jul 12, 2006

How do Tenno poop?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Dapper Man posted:

How do Tenno poop?

Switch teleport is pretty handy.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Okay so I just started playing this and did my first mission and now my second mission on Mercury says it is a lvl 16-18 spy mission. Is it supposed to be that high?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

MotU posted:

Okay so I just started playing this and did my first mission and now my second mission on Mercury says it is a lvl 16-18 spy mission. Is it supposed to be that high?

Probably an alert taking place there right now.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
That is also enemy level, not the level you should be at. You should be able to cruise through Venus pretty simply, but Earth will be a bit of a wall until you at least get an AP damage mod.

The game is kind of wonky.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Is there a dash button in this game? I didn't see anything in the tutorial but I was not sure

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

MotU posted:

Is there a dash button in this game? I didn't see anything in the tutorial but I was not sure

There's a sprint button. If you're on PC, you'll want to rebind either crouch or sprint somewhere else - there are reasons you'll want to be crouching and sprinting at the same time and it's pretty awkward to do with the default controls.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Neurolimal posted:

As someone who's worn a full fencing outfit at least once in his life: how do you figure on Excalibur?

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
Started playing on PS4, and I started with 150 platinum. Anything specific I should buy with it? From what I read so far, I should be aiming for slots.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

DontMindMe posted:

Started playing on PS4, and I started with 150 platinum. Anything specific I should buy with it? From what I read so far, I should be aiming for slots.

Read the OP. I should add that 75 platinum frames aren't too bad of a deal since you get the potato and slot with them. Since you would need the slot and would want the potato anyway, 35 plat for a frame ends up being pretty decent. Other than that, read the OP.

Lagonazer
Jan 3, 2012

Come here friends.
Hug me! Oh yeah. Hug me.
As far as we've learned from livestreams, the warframes are a result of an infection of Technocyte virus. Dark Sector, Digital Extremes other game, takes place far into the past which involves the protagonist, Hayden Tenno, being infected with the virus. Blah blah, skip to the future and we have the Tenno who are people fully transformed by the virus. They aren't wearing a suit, rather they have become mutated and get special powers.

and rhino's pelvic horn isn't just some weird part of the suit someone just stuck on for fun

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Warframe (PC/PS4): oh poo poo i accidentally parkour

Don't spend platinum on anything, unless you're forced. The game doesn't get TOO much different from the first planet, so there's no point in spending cash if you aren't going to like the game. That said, if you do spend it on anything, spend it it on either a type of potato with reactors for your frame being more fun, but catalysts for a gun you like being more rewarding in the long run, or slots for more weapons/warframes. I think I ground out four or five warframes and up to mastery 4 or 5 before I decided to go ahead and spend platinum. I could have kept going by just selling unused/disliked weapons and hoping for potato alerts.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Epsilon Plus posted:

As someone who's worn a full fencing outfit at least once in his life: how do you figure on Excalibur?

Probably because of the default white colours and the mostly smooth armour. I generally like all the Warframe designs. There might be one or two details I don't like (Banshee's shoes, Trinity's back thingies, Nova's bell-bottom high heels) but the game has a really great art style overall.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DelphiAegis posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Warframe (PC/PS4): oh poo poo i accidentally parkour

Wish I had screened this.

quote:

Don't spend platinum on anything, unless you're forced. The game doesn't get TOO much different from the first planet, so there's no point in spending cash if you aren't going to like the game. That said, if you do spend it on anything, spend it it on either a type of potato with reactors for your frame being more fun, but catalysts for a gun you like being more rewarding in the long run, or slots for more weapons/warframes. I think I ground out four or five warframes and up to mastery 4 or 5 before I decided to go ahead and spend platinum. I could have kept going by just selling unused/disliked weapons and hoping for potato alerts.

Honestly I do think it gets pretty different the further you go. It starts super super slow compared to what you can do later. If you hate every fiber of the game then you won't magically start to love it if you just get to a certain point, but I definitely think it gets a lot better if you can just get past the first boring grind with your first warframe. Once I was launching myself on bounce pads firing puncture rockets at hordes of hapless infested below me and breaking the sound barrier with zorencopter and volt speed (still voting to rename that ability Turbo Fancy) it really stood out to me how different the game felt from slowly picking away at space orcs with the Mk1 Braton.

Dapper Man
Jul 12, 2006

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Wish I had screened this.

Honestly I do think it gets pretty different the further you go. It starts super super slow compared to what you can do later. If you hate every fiber of the game then you won't magically start to love it if you just get to a certain point, but I definitely think it gets a lot better if you can just get past the first boring grind with your first warframe. Once I was launching myself on bounce pads firing puncture rockets at hordes of hapless infested below me and breaking the sound barrier with zorencopter and volt speed (still voting to rename that ability Turbo Fancy) it really stood out to me how different the game felt from slowly picking away at space orcs with the Mk1 Braton.

This is completely correct. This kind of stuff will really hit you once you get good and deep into some survival missions. They really offer the whole spectrum. Everything from ridiculous high speed exploding blood baths, to Last Stand at the Alamo against the never ending hoards of level 200 toxic ancients. It's the reason I have over a 1000 hours in this terrible game.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Getting Thunderbolt has made Dread completely worth it :allears:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Vauban Chassis is on Saturn for another 13 minutes or so.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
Save you platinum for weapon and frame slots. Always. Maybe, maybe a single reactor/catalyst if you find a warframe or weapon you absolutely adore (they can make progressing to a given sector/planet way easier), but you're better off saving it to let you acquire more gear without having to throw poo poo away while you get a better feel for the game. You also likely won't have enough mods for it to matter for a while. It's not hard to unlock and craft lots of frames and weapons relatively easily and having that extra space is handy, especially if they've upped the starter platinum to 150 for PS4.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Denzine posted:

That is also enemy level, not the level you should be at. You should be able to cruise through Venus pretty simply, but Earth will be a bit of a wall until you at least get an AP damage mod.

The game is kind of wonky.
Also, you can totally hitch a ride with other people to unlock locations past a mission that's stonewalling you.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Recent discovery: Don't sell parts for things you're currently building in the foundry. I was making a Mag Prime and sold my extra components since I figured the game would actually subtract the ones you used to build from your inventory, and now she's completely disappeared from my foundry.

Why would the game let you do this.

Morshu
Sep 30, 2009

Attack monkey! Monkey attack!

Lagonazer posted:

As far as we've learned from livestreams, the warframes are a result of an infection of Technocyte virus. Dark Sector, Digital Extremes other game, takes place far into the past which involves the protagonist, Hayden Tenno, being infected with the virus. Blah blah, skip to the future and we have the Tenno who are people fully transformed by the virus. They aren't wearing a suit, rather they have become mutated and get special powers.

and rhino's pelvic horn isn't just some weird part of the suit someone just stuck on for fun

Have they outright said that warframes are mutated people, and not just weird suits of armor made from the virus? I recall the devs not really outright stating anything, and while I never played Dark Sector, I think Hayden's excal suit could be taken off, and only his arm mutated.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

I get the impression that 'present-day' Tenno are some of those you see in the rescue missions wearing Lotus-symbol suits, and warframes are the armor they put on to go space ninja on the Grineer/Corpus/Infected.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I will admit that I probably wouldn't still be playing this game if I hadn't used some of the plat I got during a steam sale to buy at least a couple weapons/frames starting out, if you have the money to waste or get a really good deal it's pretty reasonable to buy one or two frames and a few weapons, it will end up putting you ahead in terms of progression to at least a small extent, but it's not going to get you to the top right away (you need mods for that). That said, it's important to remember that the only things you are getting from buying them with plat is the 20 plat for the potato and then the 20/6 plat for the frame/weapon slot respectively, the rest of the cost is purely convenience. And I feel like it hasn't been said much if at all, but never, EVER buy resources, mod packs, or key packs with plat, those are basically swindling you out of your funbux. The bundles can also be pretty great, (mostly the sentinel cosmetics and color packs) but remember to weigh what you are getting against the cost of equipping a built version, and a few of them are just objectively bad deals as well. While the stalker pack comes with some neat looking things, it's 600+ plat for one really bad melee weapon, an ok bow, and some really overused throwing knives that probably won't be anywhere near as good come armor 2.0, and a bunch of black/gray paint.

I do wish DE had through their business model through a bit more and given you the ability to add some polarities, or something for some of the exorbitant prices they want for most of the things in the store. After all of this the really important thing to get across is that the only things you can't get in game are weapon/warframe slots, color packs, scarves, and sentinel cosmetics. And these days getting the materials you need for building things really isn't that tough, it's much better than what it was back in june for instance.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is there a way to tell stat comparisons or whatever? Like there's this Cronus Blade I can build now, but I have NO idea if its worth 12 hours and 15,000 credits plus valuable parts.

How do I know if it's better than my default Skana sword?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Feenix posted:

Is there a way to tell stat comparisons or whatever? Like there's this Cronus Blade I can build now, but I have NO idea if its worth 12 hours and 15,000 credits plus valuable parts.

How do I know if it's better than my default Skana sword?

You usually have to look this up on the wiki unfortunately. In the case of the Cronus you should just sell the blueprint for money and save up for Dual Heat Swords instead, they're a much better melee weapon that can last you for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Morshu posted:

Have they outright said that warframes are mutated people, and not just weird suits of armor made from the virus? I recall the devs not really outright stating anything, and while I never played Dark Sector, I think Hayden's excal suit could be taken off, and only his arm mutated.

More lore's coming up in the next update, but as for what was going on in Dark Sector, the technocyte virus turns tissue into "living metal", and this seems to still hold true - during the last event, Ruk made reference to your "metal corpse", and while the current Infestation seems a lot fleshier than Dark Sector mutants, you can still see them growing into metal parts almost seamlessly (especially the Runner's hand fusing into its Corpus helmet). The Protosuit and Nemesis from Dark Sector were built around technocyte-derived technology, which suggests to me that at least some parts were grown or possibly even skinned off of mutants. The Warframes and other Orokin tech (those nerve bundle trees all over the ships) are probably the result of a much more controlled and refined process (just as Lephantis and the current Infestation are apparently a specifically weaponized form of Technocyte), but a few of the helmets really don't look like an intact human head can fit in them, and Warframe's generally pretty good with proportions. Then there's Alad V's "well, you don't have eyes", and as the guy who's been vivisecting Warframes, he would know.

Also possibly notable, technocyte infection is apparently extraordinarily painful, resulting in most people just turning into the crazed mutants in Dark Sector. Unable to feel pain, Hayden Tenno got to keep his wits about him. If nothing else, this is a good excuse for why our Warframes never verbally react to damage.