Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
This is a really specific question, but is anyone aware of any media players (or plugins for VLC) that will scan a pre-defined list of addresses (udp) and start streaming automatically?

I know most media players can do multicast streaming, but I need to be able to it semi-autonomously (e.g. set it up one-time then users don't really have to know what an ip address is, it 'just works').

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Are there Windows 8/8.1 isos available online like the ones for Windows 7 on digital river?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

stubblyhead posted:

Are there Windows 8/8.1 isos available online like the ones for Windows 7 on digital river?

You need a product key to get the ISO from MS. But yeah, it's doable.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

crestfallen posted:

I haven't tried any time recently, and I'm not at my home computer to verify, but I believe CrashPlan can do this. IMO it's the best online backup service there is.

Thanks. If at all possible when you get home could you double check? I'm going to shoot an email to their support and check with them, as well.

Something like this would make me feel a lot better about not spending a fortune on local backups (we really don't have that many files to backup, so we can spare the network overhead a lot more than the infrastructure costs).

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Earl of Lavender posted:

Haha, oh dear. And I guess there was that (tangentially related) thing with some anti-virus definition update that matched critical files a while back. Still, I imagine we would have heard more about it if Skyrim was crippling people's systems on uninstall.

That was a good one. There's also the time McAfee whacked svchost.exe on running systems after the definitions updated.

I think Sophos flagged itself not too long ago.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah we were running McAfee when their update poo poo itself upon our all systems. And of course we moved to Sophos which pushed down an update that flagged their updater as a virus and deleted that exe. Now we're running MS Endpoint Protection which hasn't hosed us over yet.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there any reason that switching back and forth between Windows 7 and Xubuntu would cause my Windows clock to jump ahead 5 hours? It still thinks I'm in the correct time zone, and syncing with whatever Internet time server corrects it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Maybe Xubuntu is setting your hardware clock 5 hours ahead instead of adjusting for timezone in software?

e- here you go
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Time
Linux is using UTC, Windows is expecting localtime

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 16, 2013

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

baka kaba posted:

Maybe Xubuntu is setting your hardware clock 5 hours ahead instead of adjusting for timezone in software?

That would be hilarious. And annoying. How would I check that? BIOS?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

hooah posted:

Is there any reason that switching back and forth between Windows 7 and Xubuntu would cause my Windows clock to jump ahead 5 hours? It still thinks I'm in the correct time zone, and syncing with whatever Internet time server corrects it.

Linux defaults to UTC and syncs the hardware clock periodically.

I'm on my phone, but there's a place to set UTC=NO that will force it to local time.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

AlexDeGruven posted:

Linux defaults to UTC and syncs the hardware clock periodically.

I'm on my phone, but there's a place to set UTC=NO that will force it to local time.

That led me in the right direction, thanks.

fragem666
May 29, 2010
Well I tried Windows 8 a while ago and I do service Windows 8 machines, I just prefer the simplicity of Windows 7. I do think eventually Windows 8 will come of age, and that day will come when everyone has touchscreen monitors.

Intrepid00
Nov 10, 2003

I'm tired of the PM’s asking if I actually poisoned kittens, instead look at these boobies.

fragem666 posted:

Well I tried Windows 8 a while ago and I do service Windows 8 machines, I just prefer the simplicity of Windows 7. I do think eventually Windows 8 will come of age, and that day will come when everyone has touchscreen monitors.

Or you know an explosion of tablets that are happening right now. We just replaced a managers desktop with a surface pro 2.

Intrepid00 fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Nov 16, 2013

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

Intrepid00 posted:

Or you know an explosion of tablets that are happening right now. We just replaced a managers desktop with a surface pro 2.
Nice. Last laptop upgrade cycle we got ultrabooks, this going time will probably be Surface 2s once the dock comes out.

Intrepid00
Nov 10, 2003

I'm tired of the PM’s asking if I actually poisoned kittens, instead look at these boobies.

Armourking posted:

Nice. Last laptop upgrade cycle we got ultrabooks, this going time will probably be Surface 2s once the dock comes out.

The docks btw are only 10/100 Ethernet. Kind of dumb. The Belkin one he chose in 1000 but I haven't confirmed and the video is through USB 3 but it seems fine. A company wide rollout to sales isn't going to cut it if MS or someone doesn't clone it it to a 1000 nic. I would love to roll this out to sales who currently share desktops and carry a laptop.

Intrepid00 fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Nov 16, 2013

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
What would people recommend for a program that just backs up applications/folders and then lets you selectively restore them in Windows 8.1? I want to start over with a clean install and then restore just some of my programs in an effort to get rid of 5 years of crap and junk.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
You can root around in AppData and pick which program (settings) you want to keep. I would also recommend Windows Easy Transfer, but it looks like you'd need a backup program.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

GrizzlyCow posted:

You can root around in AppData and pick which program (settings) you want to keep. I would also recommend Windows Easy Transfer, but it looks like you'd need a backup program.

Yeah, I figured that was what I'd be ultimately doing; I just wish there was a nice program that automated all that.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Thanks. If at all possible when you get home could you double check? I'm going to shoot an email to their support and check with them, as well.

Something like this would make me feel a lot better about not spending a fortune on local backups (we really don't have that many files to backup, so we can spare the network overhead a lot more than the infrastructure costs).
CrashPlan can do this. When you go to restore, by default it is the most recent version. If you click on "most recent" you can pick any day. After you pick the day, it gives you the big list of folders, etc. that existed on that day. You can restore individual files, the whole folder, whatever in bulk.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Inspector_666 posted:

Are they opening OWA in Internet Explorer? There are a bunch of options and features that don't work in other browsers.

Yes, but perhaps not a new enough version, I haven't really forced updates out at that location.

Storm-
Jan 7, 2007

You win some, you lose some... then you lose some more.

Performed my first ever dual-boot (Win 8.1 as main, Win 7 as secondary) and now I'm a bit confused. The process was actually quite simple and straightforward. :buddy: The way I did it was simply creating a Win 7 virtual hard disk from within Win 8 by just shrinking my main drive and installing it on the new volume from an ISO within Win 8. My plan in the future when I get a bigger drive is to simply partition it and have Win 8 on C: and Win 7 on D: with D: possibly being a separate hard disk.

Problem is, after installing Win 7 it is considered my main OS. During boot it is on top of the list and it kinda annoys me. Not a big deal, I guess, but still. What bothers me more is if I launch msconfig to set Win 8 as my main/default OS, it changes startup settings from "Normal" to "Selective" and it automatically unchecks "Use original boot configuration". Again, probably not a big deal, but if I select "Normal startup", Win 7 automatically becomes the default OS again.

So, what gives? Why is my secondary OS forcing itself to be my default one? Should I install Windows 7 first, then 8? The point is to use 8 and eventually 9/10/etc. on C:, while retaining Win 7 on D: for older games. I actually do have one old game that runs on 7 but not on 8 and there's no fix for it. And I kinda don't want to have my main OS on D: or do a backwards installation of installing an OS to D: first then C:. I suppose it doesn't really matter but I'm just a retard with an OCD. Please help.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

You did want to install Win7 first, then Win8, but that's in the past. Easiest non-destuctive way to fix this now is using http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

Storm-
Jan 7, 2007

37th Chamber posted:

You did want to install Win7 first, then Win8, but that's in the past. Easiest non-destuctive way to fix this now is using http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

Okay, thanks for the link. That seems like a nifty program to have. But I think I'll just deal with what I have as long as it works without any issues. I just need to remember next time to install the older OS first and newer one second.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Out of sheer curiosity, why are you dual booting 7/8.1? Some sort of software compatibility issue?

Storm-
Jan 7, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Out of sheer curiosity, why are you dual booting 7/8.1? Some sort of software compatibility issue?

I said it in my post above, I have one game that works in WinXP/7 but not 8, Kohan: Ahriman's Gift. And I have no clue where my XP key is so I'm just going with 7. I'm not sure what seems to be the issue but the game is nearly unplayable with lag and short freezes yet other older games work fine. This is just a precaution for any other possible incompatibilities both under Windows 8 and future versions of Windows. I know Microsoft is pretty good with supporting older stuff but you never know.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I have a Win7 machine backed up via Windows' built in image backup solution. I reimage this machine exceedingly often - sometimes 6-7 times in a day.

Rebooting to disc, opening System Recovery Options, etc., is a pain in the rear end to do this often.

Is there some script or other utility I can use to automate re-imaging this machine? Ideally I'd execute the script from within Win7 and have to do nothing else.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I have a Win7 machine backed up via Windows' built in image backup solution. I reimage this machine exceedingly often - sometimes 6-7 times in a day.

Rebooting to disc, opening System Recovery Options, etc., is a pain in the rear end to do this often.

Is there some script or other utility I can use to automate re-imaging this machine? Ideally I'd execute the script from within Win7 and have to do nothing else.

I really have to ask, what are you doing that requires you to re-imaging 6-7 times a day?

Whatever you're doing, it sounds like it may be more suited to use a virtual machine and use states/snapshots. If for whatever reason, what you're doing requires a native system, something like Deep Freeze to lock the state of the computer might be worth looking in to.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Since Office 64-bit has compatibility problems with 32-bit plug-ins, which is basically all of them, does that mean we should default to installing the 32-bit version of Office? Is this ever going to change?

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Since Office 64-bit has compatibility problems with 32-bit plug-ins, which is basically all of them, does that mean we should default to installing the 32-bit version of Office? Is this ever going to change?

Unless you're working with giant files (2GB+), even Microsoft suggests staying away from 64bit office like the plague.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

37th Chamber posted:

I really have to ask, what are you doing that requires you to re-imaging 6-7 times a day?

Whatever you're doing, it sounds like it may be more suited to use a virtual machine and use states/snapshots. If for whatever reason, what you're doing requires a native system, something like Deep Freeze to lock the state of the computer might be worth looking in to.

I analyze malware. Sometimes I use a native system, though usually I do use a VM for obvious reasons. I'll look into Deep Freeze. Any further suggestions?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I analyze malware. Sometimes I use a native system, though usually I do use a VM for obvious reasons. I'll look into Deep Freeze. Any further suggestions?

If you do this for a living, doesn't your employer have guidelines and software for you to use? I have never heard of freelance malware analysis.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

I just updated Win8 to 8.1, and now all of my contextual menus and whatnot look all lovely and weird resolution like this. Some of the right click menus from stuff in my system tray are also weird off-res too. How do I fix this?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I just updated Win8 to 8.1, and now all of my contextual menus and whatnot look all lovely and weird resolution like this. Some of the right click menus from stuff in my system tray are also weird off-res too. How do I fix this?
Maybe you or the upgrade set the overall text size in Windows to 125%? Go to Control Panel, Display.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Deep Freeze is definitely what you want to do. I worked at Best Buy and we used a version of it on our display computers. Obviously, you want people to be able to play with machines, but you also don't want them doing anything permanent. It was configured there so any time we rebooted the machine, it would go back to it's "factory" state. WAY easier than imaging/reimaging.

Though if you're insistent on using imaging, you might want to get Acronis - I've found it's slightly faster than Windows Image restoration.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Arnold of Soissons posted:

If the above poster's solution doesn't fix it, try turning off DPI scaling for high-res displays in the shortcut properties for Firefox

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Is there any reason for me to update to Windows 8 from Windows 7 on my desktop gaming machine? All I use it for is web browsing, movie watching, and playing vidya games. I worry that MS didn't have the video games part in mind when designing Windows 8, though it seems fabulous for tablets and I definitely want to get a Surface at some point.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Games generally work identically in my Windows 8 install as they did in Windows 7.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Games generally work identically in my Windows 8 install as they did in Windows 7.

I've read lots of stuff about them working noticeably better in many cases, which isn't surprising since under the hood, Windows 8 is better than 7 in a lot of ways.

But yeah, I'm not sure why you'd think the UI changes would affect your gameplay experience.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Is there any reason for me to update to Windows 8 from Windows 7 on my desktop gaming machine? All I use it for is web browsing, movie watching, and playing vidya games. I worry that MS didn't have the video games part in mind when designing Windows 8, though it seems fabulous for tablets and I definitely want to get a Surface at some point.

I run Windows 8 and principally use my machine for gaming, and its mostly fine. 'Mostly'? On a couple of occasions I've had to set compatibility mode as Windows 7 to run something. (For example, the soon-to-be retired Games For Windows bullshit doesn't play nice with Windows 8 :haw: ). Setting compatibility takes a couple of seconds, and I've only had to resort to that a couple of times, and I've tried dozens and dozens of games since W8 came out (digital distribution for games will be the death of my wallet, even with hardcore sales!)

I'm not any kind of Metro user, but that is fine, as the presence of Metro has no impact on gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Michael Scott posted:

If you do this for a living, doesn't your employer have guidelines and software for you to use? I have never heard of freelance malware analysis.

I do this for a living and my employer has some of the very best infrastructure and software in the world.

I was trying to be succinct in my post so I left out a lot of context, but since a couple people have asked let me make it clear that this is absolutely not my primary testing / analysis method, this is for a small number of special cases that are best handled on a native machine. It's basically such a small number of cases that it's easier if I just find a testing solution myself, otherwise I may end up spending thousands of dollars worth of other people's time setting up what should be a simple thing.