Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Looking at that some more, that "5% status" thing could mean that rapidfire weapons will be a lot better at doing status effects so if they adjust those numbers for every weapon then underpowered things like the Grakata could actually have a use (provided they don't give the Soma the same number so it continues to be better at absolutely everything). On the other hand it could end up making sniper rifles even more useless if they will have status chances like 5%.

I think sniper rifles wouldn't need to be based on elemental procs to be improved. What they need is just reliable high damage, like a 0% crit rate but enormous base damage. A flat proc chance per bullet would definitely give high fire rate weapons a solid niche as you say, so hopefully that's what they go with. I'm glad I have kept so many of my old weapons so that I will have a good base to experiment with.

I wonder how shotguns will be handled in terms of procs. On the one hand, per pellet could probably get nuts, but on the other hand each trigger pull being a basically guaranteed proc would give them the edge they probably need.

I am really goddamn excited for this update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

LonsomeSon posted:

...aaaand an update to the UI, allowing it to cogently display details about all of the changes? Unheard-of in the annals of Warframe updates!!!
Yeah, but when are we getting it? This just makes me want it now. Now now now now now.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Sentient Toaster posted:

Yeah, but when are we getting it? This just makes me want it now. Now now now now now.

DE usually updates on a Wednesday morning in GMT, sooooo... pretty drat soon :allears:

Dapper Man
Jul 12, 2006

7c Nickel posted:

So I guess that means if you want to get the slow effect from cold damage, you can't have any other elements. I guess the same goes for fire, but you can get electric and toxin by themselves since they're lower priority.

This was the first thing I thought of, since the slow from ice is almost required on the Ignis. But! There are a lot of new proc effects that will be available as well, such as turning the ignis into a radiation sprayer, confusing whole masses of enemies very quickly.

I can't loving wait.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
A lv0(15%) No Return mod on akvasto now would get you 7.5 AP damage. With the new stats as seen in that image, you get 1.3 damage. This makes elemental mods way more powerful by comparison, since you get 7.5 damage from Heated Charge lv0(15%). It also encourages weapon specialization, since you'd get more raw damage out of using No Return on a mostly-Piercing weapon(Despair, say) instead of something like the akvasto. Which means a well-prepared Tenno is going to be going into a game with their weapons all slotted for a different enemy type. Which means that they'll be forced to deal with the ridiculous weapon swap times. So it's going to be fun to see how DE handles Speed Holster either by buffing the poo poo out of it or removing it and letting everyone swap guns at a reasonable speed. I'm betting that'll happen after the "just use Speed Holster lol" response.

Another effect of the new damage model(as stated) is that it'll probably make critbuilds the damage builds, even more than they currently are due to AP being the only thing worth building for at high levels, because they'll give you the most damage, period.

Elemental guns like Ignis are an interesting problem too. Will they be getting elemental damage in addition to the base 3 damage types, splitting their damage 4 ways, or will they be purely elemental damage? If they remain pure will stuff like Piercing Hit scale based off the elemental damage or will they simply have no effect? Will the base fire damage mean we can just add in an Ice mod to shoot explosions or will we have to add a Fire mod and an Ice mod? If the latter, will we be shooting burning explosions? Also would a matching-element mod effectively be another +basedamage for the purposes of calculating further mods(pierce,slashing,impact,elemental)?
edit: probably not considered +basedamage since that's not how it currently works but hey, who knows. Oh poo poo I just realized, if mods scale off the non-fractured damage of elemental guns then Ignis etc are going to be comparatively godlike.

I really need to know more about how the procs, well, proc. There's lots of different ways it could go. Are they additive- is there a % chance to proc for each one of the three types, plus elemental effects, or is it a single % chance to proc an effect and then a die rolled for which? Is it one % for the base 3, then another % for elements? Do elements each have their own % or is it one umbrella % with a die rolled for which effect to apply? Or would it apply all the effects? And so on.

So many fiddly things to pick at!

Denzine fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 19, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I don't mind the weapon swap time so much as the times when swapping weapons lags a bit, so you hit the button again to make sure it went through, but then both swaps are registered and you get your original gun back so that you have to swap again and then you just look like a moron shuffling through your pockets while a grineer heavy shoots you up.

But I like that they're encouraging having specialized weapons in each slot. They seem to be moving slowly toward making pistols comparable to primaries, and this is another step in that process. Now we just have to wait on melee.

OMGLASERPEWPEWPEW
Dec 17, 2005
PEWPEWPEWPEWPEW PEWPEWPEWPEWPEWPEW
I want to play this game with goons but I know gently caress all about what to do.

Any patient PS4 players invite Gestalt88, even if you see me playing something else

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
So what's a good set of pistols to shoot for? I spent a bunch of crap making a Seer and I'm reaalllly not a fan of it.

OMGLASERPEWPEWPEW posted:

I want to play this game with goons but I know gently caress all about what to do.

Any patient PS4 players invite Gestalt88, even if you see me playing something else

I just shot you an invite to the PS4 clan.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Crowbear posted:

So what's a good set of pistols to shoot for? I spent a bunch of crap making a Seer and I'm reaalllly not a fan of it.

Bear in mind that any recommendations are based on the current damage system and could well be completely inaccurate as soon as the next patch drops. If you liked how the lato works, going for a vasto is probably a pretty safe bet, though you may not be able to build it yet. It should survive the transition to the new damage system pretty well and is a solid all-around weapon if you aim your shots reasonably well. Note that the dual vastos are not strict upgrades to the single. High fire rate pistols like the viper/furis and their dual versions tend to be poor choices due to the lower pistol ammo maximum and kind of weak stats. I suspect that kunai/hikou probably won't make out as well as others after the damage update, so I'd be a bit leery of them unless you want to be maximally anime.

Use the bronco if you want a shotgun pistol. Personally I prefer a single bronco to duals, but both are fine choices. At some point they will hopefully release the hand cannons from the recent event to the non-poopsocking public.

Spectra will probably still be butt even after the update.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 20, 2013

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Crowbear posted:

In terms of pistols that can be acquired easily (ie; through the market as a blueprint), Kunai and Hikou are both great, but a bit awkward to use because they've got a high rate of fire but are still semi-auto (insofar as knives can be). Dual Vasto is also pretty great, excellent damage and accuracy and a good reload. They're a bit of a bitch to build as they require a ton of Neurodes so I hope you like farming Hek).

In almost every case where there's a 'twin/dual' version of the gun it's better to get that than to use the regular version, but if you can it's a good idea to first get the single version to 30 for mastery before crafting the dual set.

Once you've got a bio lab going and can research it, the Acrid is basically King of Pistols, though. That poo poo is just silly right now (armor piercing, stacking acid damage DoT :unsmigghh: ) but maybe it won't be after the new damage model.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
edit: ^ ^ ^ umm Kunai and Hikou are both full-auto, it's Vasto that's still semi-auto

For those weapons that do pure elemental damage, like heat dagger or acrid, how will the elemental combo thing work? If you stick, for instance, a single fire mod into a synapse, will it turn into a pure radiation cannon of doom, or will the elemental combo thing act totally separate from the baseline damage?

Crowbear posted:

One nice thing about building poo poo weapons in Warframe - you can always tell yourself you did it just for the mastery xp.

As said before, this should all be taken in context - the U11 patch (tomorrow?) will be throwing the entire current damage system out the window. A lot of weapons up until now were popular basically for the sole reason that they offered armor-piercing damage, or offered such ludicrous base damage that slapping an armor piercing % mod onto it made it a decent armor-piercing weapon (like Soma, Hek, Sobek, etc.).

The (current! as in today, not after U11) go-to favorites for pistols off the market are Hikou and Kunai, and the Vasto/Vastos are also popular. They all offer good, accurate single-target DPS, mid-long range while still being useful for things up in your face. Unlike Viper/Vipers, they don't run out of ammo instantly (though Hikou certainly try their best), nor do they have such a terrible ROF that they're garbage against this game's very frequent hordes of mobs (hello Lex). Unfortunately, the only 'shotgun' pistol off the market, the Bronco, isn't considered a very good choice - though it doesn't help that they gave out the hilariously powerful Brakk after the last big event, which blows away even the Prime version of the Bronco.

If you want to get into things that are more difficult to acquire, a good place to begin is probably farming the Phobos bosses for a pair of Twin Gremlins. They have a good feel and rate of fire, and still a lot of DPS. One of what's considered the 'best' pistols, the Acrid, is clan research only and it's unlikely the PS4 goon clan would be at the point to manufacture them any time soon - and we don't know if its pure poison damage will actually be good after U11. A pair of Gremlins aren't too hard to craft once the BP drops, and I have a feeling that their basic design and boss-drop-or-plat-only schematic means that DE will hopefully have incentive to make them better than most pistols.

edit: things to not buy (unless you desperately need mastery) under the current system, and likely still trash in the new one due to structural reasons beyond the damage/armor system:
Any/all longswords and daggers - Melee is fundamentally a bad way to do damage in Warframe, all risk for not much reward, but if you absolutely must slot a melee then you should pretty much invariably build one of these things. Galatine for huge damage AE power attacks, Glaive or the boomerang for comedy, or Dual Zorens for basically the best possible use of the melee slot due to the mobility exploit bug feature they offer.
Lex - Sniper pistol is a concept that doesn't work well in Warframe; the mods to support it don't really exist, and Warframe level design doesn't really call for wasting a slot on a sniper weapon on most any map. You're a ninja, not a ranger.
Sicarus - Can't decide what kind of weapon it is, and ends up sucking at everything. Its high base recoil makes getting consistent DPS out of it next to impossible, but it doesn't do enough short-range or up-front damage to make up for it. Killing things with Sicarus feels like you're fighting your own drat gun even more than the mobs.
Bronco - Comparatively bad, stat-wise, to a real shotgun.
Burston - Like the Sicarus, burst-fire's role in this game is kind of questionable given its current design.
Boar - I think they took it off the market? Anyway, it was never as good as the Hek or Sobek. Hek and Sobek are both great shotgun choices, the first for single huge hits on a short clip, and the second for DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA with shotgun shells.
Grakata - Terrible DPS; may be redeemed in gimmick elemental-combo builds in U11, but probably still not as good at that as Vipers or Soma.
Paris - Is actually pretty fun to use, but it falls victim to the same issues as any sniper-type weapon. In this case, you can fit it with Thunderbolt for a comedy rocket-launcher bow, but blowing yourself up is only funny the first few hundred times.

Coldbird fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 20, 2013

a glorious hole
Nov 21, 2012

If I want to buy a Sentinel with my bonus money from PS+, what would be the best one to go with? If it helps I chose Loki as my starting Frame.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

a glorious hole posted:

If I want to buy a Sentinel with my bonus money from PS+, what would be the best one to go with? If it helps I chose Loki as my starting Frame.

Carrier. You cannot go wrong with Carrier.

edit: Might also want to note, I'm pretty sure Loki's invisibility doesn't affect his sentinel (?) so be prepared to lose any sentinel a lot when playing Loki.

Coldbird fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 20, 2013

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Coldbird posted:

Yeah, he's bang on. Carrier should always be the first sentinel pick for any frame.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
Corrosive Projection alert is up for the next 17 minutes, on Mars/Ares.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Carrier. It comes with hands-down the best sentinel weapon in the game currently (likely to remain so even after the update, unless something drastic is done to its damage in 11), which also uses Shotgun mods that you're probably not going to have equipped on your primary.

In addition, its signature power picks up any items you can collect (including ammo/energy/health, if you're at less than max for any of those) and sucks them towards you. I don't know if they ever fixed it, but this power definitely at one point worked through walls, meaning that if mods or components fell into impossible locations you could still pick them up.

Also, it looks like a gourd, so you can name it Gourdie LaForge.

e: beaten. But I have an explanation.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
No, you give Carrier a blue, dark blue and yellow colour scheme and he's Air Man.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Coldbird posted:

edit: Might also want to note, I'm pretty sure Loki's invisibility doesn't affect his sentinel (?) so be prepared to lose any sentinel a lot when playing Loki.

This changed a bit ago. It now covers the sentinel.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Just give Carrier a yellow/green scheme.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Coldbird posted:

It will also get blown up any time you use absorb as Nyx which sucks because I just tried getting the minimum duration possible on it by using Fleeting Expertise, and it's pretty amazing. If I can survive long enough to get into the middle of a group then it's gone.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Thanks for the pistol tips guys. Turns out I had a bunch of Neurodes lying around so I've got a Vasto building right now.

I also realized that I recently got my Braton up to 30, so I guess it's time to look at stepping up my primary. I usually gravitate to shotguns in shooters, are they any good in this game?

And a couple of other things I've been wonder about:

1) At what point does Mag stop being hilariously overpowered? Through the first 3 worlds + half of Saturn I can run around spamming Pull and destroying entire levels, doing like 70% of the groups damage. I take it this won't last forever.

2) What the gently caress are you supposed to do if the Stalker shows up? I've gotten him 4 times already and when there's a group he just mauls us all. When I'm solo I either auto-fail the mission or waste my revives trying to get away.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
Stand on a box or shelf.

The AI isn't very good.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Crowbear posted:

Thanks for the pistol tips guys. Turns out I had a bunch of Neurodes lying around so I've got a Vasto building right now.

I also realized that I recently got my Braton up to 30, so I guess it's time to look at stepping up my primary. I usually gravitate to shotguns in shooters, are they any good in this game?

And a couple of other things I've been wonder about :

1) At what point does Mag stop being hilariously overpowered? Through the first 3 worlds + half of Saturn I can run around spamming Pull and destroying entire levels, doing like 70% of the groups damage. I take it this won't last forever.

2) What the gently caress are you supposed to do if the Stalker shows up? I've gotten him 4 times already and when there's a group he just mauls us all. When I'm solo I either auto-fail the mission or waste my revives trying to get away.

Shotguns are fine, if not quite what the game is designed for, but I would advise against getting one if you want to use the carrier sentinel. Also there is an extremely limited selection of shotguns right now. Next patch should add one more, but you're more or less going to be stuck with very little variety in good shotguns.

Mag won't stop being hilariously overpowered until they nerf pull, and let's be honest, it needs it.

Stalker generally focuses on his specific target (the one who gets his messages) in my experience, unless he can't get to them. It's odd that you say you burn revives trying to get away from him, since he should just leave after he murders you once. The guy he's targeting should not try to tank his damage output, but focus on avoiding him while others take him out. If he shows up during a mastery test, then you're basically just hosed.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

edit: gently caress it, I quit trying to answer questions :negative:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Crowbear posted:

And a couple of other things I've been wonder about :

Shotguns are alright, but not really top tier weapons at the moment. Pull is getting a nerf at some point soon, but right now Mag is always awesome. Even with that said, Pull does fall off a bit once you get near endgame since it won't kill things as fast. Stalker is basically just a gear check. Once you get good enough mods/weapons you can burn him down in like a second, but until then there's not really a lot you can do.

mechanicalFactory
Dec 24, 2011

I could calculate your chances of survival... but you won't like it.

Crowbear posted:

To me, Mag only falls off once enemies stop being one or two shotted by maxed strength pull, and even then, ragdolling that many enemies at once is still powerful. This is around the 30+ levels on the non-infested. The reason I say non-infested is that while pull does work on infested, pulling an infested ancient ontop of you is scary.

As for the second, I just glitch the AI by hiding up on somewhere the stalker can't directly attack you, but you can snipe any exposed limbs on the guy. I only do this when I'm not powering through enemies, bosses, and generally the entire map in my Rhino.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Ok, so if I wanted to carry on with rifles instead of shotguns what would the next step up from a Braton be?

chumbler posted:

Stalker generally focuses on his specific target (the one who gets his messages) in my experience, unless he can't get to them. It's odd that you say you burn revives trying to get away from him, since he should just leave after he murders you once. The guy he's targeting should not try to tank his damage output, but focus on avoiding him while others take him out. If he shows up during a mastery test, then you're basically just hosed.

I could be mis-remembering what happened what I caught him while I was solo. All the times I ran into him blur together in a haze of pain and tears. I'll definitely try glitching him out next time though.

I also didn't realize he could show up for mastery tests. That is hilariously cruel.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is there something I can do to increase starting ammo capacity?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

mechanicalFactory posted:

when I'm not powering through enemies, bosses, and generally the entire map in my Rhino.

I love my Rhino so loving much. I just got done leveling a Nova, and while I enjoyed the combination of maxed Null Star + Carrier w/Sweeper meaning I could walk through the levels I'm trying to farm without farming a shot, nothing compares to just flat-out ignoring almost any enemy.

Crowbear posted:

Ok, so if I wanted to carry on with rifles instead of shotguns what would the next step up from a Braton be?

Most people will recommend the Boltor, but I never really enjoyed it. I didn't feel like it was doing much damage, even at rank 30 with a potato, and it didn't seem to be pinning mobs to anything very often. However, that's likely the only worthwhile rifle you can get before you can build a Soma, so I guess that would be the one to go for.

Feenix posted:

Ammo drum is basically it. You can also get a Rifle Ammo Mutation mod which will allow you to convert some ammo of a non-rifle type to rifle ammo.

hooah fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 20, 2013

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

Feenix posted:

There are +ammo mods but they are not worth slotting compared to +damage mods unless you have nothing else to use. Slot +AP and +damage. Then multishot.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Crowbear posted:

The Boltor is a solid option (may or may not be true after Damage 2.0) if you're up to rank 2, the Hind is a workable burst rifle with no rank requirement, although it has a steep resource cost, the Burston is Hind's little brother (shorter burst with same damage/shot and accuracy) but cheaper to build, the Paris is an armor-piercing (again, may or may not matter after Damage 2.0) longbow with pretty high damage but limited potential when fighting groups of enemies (i.e. always).

Consider the Strun. While not amazing, it's competitive in the early-game "well, what now?" bracket.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Crowbear posted:

I also didn't realize he could show up for mastery tests. That is hilariously cruel.
There was a period where he could show up in the tutorial. WELCOME TO WARFRAME :unsmigghh:

Feenix posted:

There are weapon mods for both mag size and reserve capacity. Also ammo mutator mods which take some doing to get ahold of.
Go damage first if you've got them, though.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Damage 2.0 is supposed to address armor piercing damage being the only viable option, right?

Fish Noise posted:

WELCOME TO WARFRAME :unsmigghh:
I thought that only happens when you replay the tutorial. Don't you have to kill a boss first for him to appear?

vv Oh

cuntman.net fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Nov 20, 2013

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Fish Noise posted:

There was a period where he could show up in the tutorial. WELCOME TO WARFRAME :unsmigghh:

xXdarknappa420Xx, you cannot escape from your past.

The murder of DEFAULT_BOSS_NAME_STRING will not go unpunished!

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
Looking more at the new damage stuff, the implication is that they're going to need several new basic mod drops to become common... hope you have a shitload of fusion cores lying around. If Armor Piercing is becoming just piercing damage, then I guess they'd need new and equivalent ones for slashing and impact, then they'd need an elemental mod for toxin - all across all four weapon classes.

It also sounds like elemental mods now won't scale based on the base damage of the weapon itself - which is pretty significant. If it works the (DE) way I think it will - add a flat x elemental damage per shot - then it could be a colossal buff to super-ROF weapons like Soma, Viper, and Supra.

I did see the mention of electric damage now doing "chain electricity damage" as its proc interesting, though. If the Synapse becomes a chain-lightning-o-matic, it could very easily become the most flexible area-effect weapon in the game - more so than the sort of clunky Ogris anyway. Instant fire + no risk of self-damage + able to target mobs regardless of their formation.

Magnetic sounds kind of dubious as a damage type unless they're massively buffing mob shields, except maybe against certain gimmicky boss fights like Jackal. Why bother reducing shields when you can just blow them off entirely? I guess most of the others, like Corrosive and Radiation, depend hugely on the proc % and exactly how much they debuff the target.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12RBu24s5gE

Update 11 preview. We're getting a better map and Trading and some other poo poo I don't care about.

PS we need an updated layout for the clan hall to integrate the trading room someone get on that.

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

Laphroaig Quarter Cask packaging spotted in that dude's office

oh and some bourbon whatever.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Kung-Fu Jesus posted:

Laphroaig Quarter Cask packaging spotted in that dude's office

oh and some bourbon whatever.
Then the two boxes behind the Laphroaig. I think they've commented on the "water" they're drinking during streams more than once, too.

It makes a certain sort of sense that DE are a bunch of boozehounds.

Dapper Man
Jul 12, 2006

Fish Noise posted:

Then the two boxes behind the Laphroaig. I think they've commented on the "water" they're drinking during streams more than once, too.

It makes a certain sort of sense that DE are a bunch of boozehounds.

I think they went through 4 pitcher of beer during the last livestream.

I'm more stoked for that map than I should be. I'm always getting lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandPapil
Jan 14, 2004
The Man
So I just downloaded this and started playing, only level 3, but I dont have any mods installed. I cannt for the life figure out how to install them, and any videos I see when I google have a completely different UI then the one in the game that I have. I am getting very confused..