Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

soupcan58 posted:

Coach hitting on Cece is NOT going to end well.

... They would make beautiful children.

Winston at this point is just a hilarious human prop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Aww, it's veggie. I did all that for nothing.

J-Man X
Aug 18, 2004

Boxing Champion
"What's up, Jason Street?"

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Winston's in a wheelchair? What's next, Roberto Benigni coming in the halls making everyone laugh? I'M MISSING EVERYTHING!

soupcan58
Mar 13, 2008

You blew my mind, man!

"I'm a dumplinger."

That's going to be something I'm going to end up saying at some point.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Given the choice between eating dumplings and NOT eating dumplings... Yeah that's not a fight you can win.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I found this wheelchair in a ditch!

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Ironside? Too soon, New Girl.

soupcan58
Mar 13, 2008

You blew my mind, man!

Ok, I was wrong about you you're not a quitter!

Now please, QUIT!

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Miller you sorry excuse for a human being, you are shaped like a beanbag chair!

I love this show :3: It fills that heartwarming half-hour every week that P+R used to for me before it got overly saccharine. (Not bashing on Parks, I just kinda lost interest in it sometime last season)

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

J-Man X posted:

"What's up, Jason Street?"

I laughed for like a minute straight

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Having Damon Jr. back on the show reminds me of how directionless Winston's character has been, he's just floating around in the background doing pratfalls and poo poo.

Reminds me of that episode where he was all :smith: about being kicked off the Latvian basketball team after they got the better black. Well...

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Because there's always an ending.
Did anybody else notice that Schmidt TOTALLY quoted Buckaroo Banzai at the beginning of the episode?

"Wherever you go, there you are."

I hope he was quoting Buckaroo Banzai on purpose.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Awesomonster posted:

Did anybody else notice that Schmidt TOTALLY quoted Buckaroo Banzai at the beginning of the episode?

Isn't that a Hobbit quote?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

It's actually a quote from Confucius, you philistines!

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Yeah but Buckaroo Banzai made it cool :colbert:

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Loved Jess' shirt

code:
Ocean
Conservation
Day

OCD Rules!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Awesomonster posted:

Is this a new game? Saying things are fake references?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

StormDrain posted:

Any time someone says "I was wrong" they're quoting Obi-Wan talking to Luke about training Anakin.

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

StormDrain posted:

Buckaroo Banzai totally says that its totally a real thing that happens in a movie and I am just enough of a fan of that movie to hope that it was a reference, is that so wrong!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

StormDrain posted:

It's a game as old as Kurt Cobain.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

1st AD posted:

Having Damon Jr. back on the show reminds me of how directionless Winston's character has been, he's just floating around in the background doing pratfalls and poo poo.

Reminds me of that episode where he was all :smith: about being kicked off the Latvian basketball team after they got the better black. Well...

Really? I think this is the best he's been in ages, along with the last episode. Popping up with believable, but hilarious little bits. This is my favorite version of him.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I think Winston has been great this season, on the other hand i think Coach is boring so far.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Oasx posted:

I think Winston has been great this season, on the other hand i think Coach is boring so far.

Yeah, I really don't like having coach back all because his other show failed. Winston has just been stellar.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I really hope they can afford to keep them both. Wayans is hilarious, just gotta get past this "woe is me" character arc.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
Winston owns gently caress all haters.

And I know someone is going to be like "we're just saying he should do more" and the thing is he does plenty. He's a weird dude in a bunch of weird dudes. He dates people, then doesn't date them. He has a job, he does wacky poo poo, and he looks a hell of a lot like almost everyone else on the show.

I legit do not get what more you want from Winston.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I think they've found some great material for Winston and Lamorne Morris is fantastic in the role, but he does seem to be stuck in the periphery much of the time. The other characters benefit from having more defined relationships with other members of the principal cast. You have romantic relationships for Nick/Jess and Schmidt/Cece, and best friend relationships for Nick/Schmidt and Jess/Cece. Winston is often either off doing his own thing or playing third wheel.

Toaster Ding
Apr 30, 2006

Sorry but I find Winston painfully unfunny. Jess/Nick and the other characters are actually developed, relatable people that continually hit the sweet spot between sincerity and comedy. They have depth. They can make you feel the same as they can make you laugh, which is the key to the great sitcoms.
Winston's like a bad SNL sketch you just have to suffer through. Actually come to think of it, "guy who has creepy relationship with his cat" IS an SNL sketch. It sucks the wind out of it when it seems like they're forced to insert terrible gimmicky comedy in the middle of otherwise great episodes. I don't get him, I don't get it.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Yeah, he's just wacky and zany when the story demands it and level-headed when the story demands it. There's no rhyme or reason to his character and none of this stories ever go anywhere.

Coach has been in 2 episodes and in that time has had a lot more and better characterization. I understand who he is and why he does and says things.

Bamf
Jul 20, 2000

I might be cutting the writers too much slack, but I think he jumps from zany to level-headed on purpose. His whole storyline, from the word go, has been about how lost he is without basketball. Without it, he's got no identity. He tried to stay in the sports field, that didn't work. He was a nanny, that didn't work.

Just like Nick, he's a lost 30-something. He just deals with it in bizarre ways.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I've only seen 3 episodes of this show and coach is funny. :kiddo:

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

1st AD posted:

Coach has been in 2 episodes and in that time has had a lot more and better characterization. I understand who he is and why he does and says things.

I always assumed the writers just had no clue how to write for a black character, but they've managed to make Coach a more realized character in two episodes. Maybe they just don't like Winston?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Well, they did give him the same name as the Ghostbuster who joined in on an established dynamic and doesn't really fit in with the other three guys in the group.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

FERGUSON IS BACK

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

hope and vaseline posted:

FERGUSON IS BACK

Furguson. His name is Furguson.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
That first class rear end is sitting in Coach tonight.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Let me die!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
When you see a dog cage for sale, you buy it.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
YEAHyeahyeahHey woman what's upppp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

This leather is so smooth and brown... It's like Cece...

• Locked thread