Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

HalloKitty posted:

I changed my text in PuTTY to green because it's just more awesome :colbert:

Either color works for me, but the point of my post (it was probably an incomprehensible mess due to lack of caffeine), was that I don't understand why a tech needed to have another tech show him how to change the color. I'd never done it before and didn't bother looking up instructions. I just fired up putty and in a matter of seconds figured out how to change it. It probably took longer for the tech to walk over and show the other tech how to change it than it would have if the guy had bothered to figure it out for himself.

To contribute:
We have this wireless phone system in place that ties in to the existing Nurse Call system. This was purchased without talking to I.T. and of course we're expected to support it (Without any training, of course!). A couple of the access points decide to stop communicating over the weekend, so I try contacting the company for support and these guys want something in the neighborhood of $250.00, then $120.00/hr on top of that for after hours support. How can companies sell poo poo like this to hospitals, which, of course are open 24hrs?

The part that pisses me off, is that I didn't get a page for this until Sunday, when it started happening on Saturday. Instead, these idiots call the new guy directly (That's a rant for another day), who then refuses to come in because he's not the on call guy (understandable). But, he doesn't bother to let any of the other techs know that this is an issue. So, of course the nurses are all pissed that no one has contacted them for a whole day. The techs that have been here a number of years have worked hard to get these idiots to go through the proper channels of opening tickets and paging the on-call tech when it's an emergency and in less than a year, this moron has flushed all that work down the drain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

TWBalls posted:

The techs that have been here a number of years have worked hard to get these idiots to go through the proper channels of opening tickets and paging the on-call tech when it's an emergency and in less than a year, this moron has flushed all that work down the drain.

I dunno, I'd say whoever decided to call someone directly instead of using the official channels and then got pissy when their request wasn't logged has flushed it down the drain.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Caged posted:

I dunno, I'd say whoever decided to call someone directly instead of using the official channels and then got pissy when their request wasn't logged has flushed it down the drain.

True, but these guys opened a ticket on Saturday. From what I'm told, the person that called the tech directly didn't call until Sunday. So, they did call in a ticket, it just didn't get paged out (They should have told the helpdesk that it was affecting patient care, those are the magic words that gets a page sent out). Regardless, this guy has been told time and time again not to be giving out his personal numbers because end users will abuse it. He didn't listen, now he thinks that he should just be able to refuse to help and wash his hands of the situation. I've already bitched a number of times about this guy's refusal to listen to anyone. Had he listened to us, we wouldn't be in this situation. Unfortunately, the director seems to think this guys poo poo doesn't stink, so no matter how many times we tell him that this guy is loving up, he won't do poo poo about it.

Thankfully, the director has recently gotten married and has expressed on a couple of occasions that he's getting tired of the long commute (I drove that same commute for 4 years, he's only done it for 3mos.) so it's a very good possibility that he's going to find a job closer to home, especially since he now has a wife to worry about. When that happens, it's a very good possibility that the lead tech will get the director position (it's been offered before) and he knows the nonsense this guy has been pulling, so he'll probably poo poo-can him shortly after taking the directors role (And yes, he has plenty of documentation to back up his decision).

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH gently caress PRINTERS!

It would be easier to address all these loving thumbdrives by hand.

No one else commented on this but does this mean that you already have our thumbdrives on hand? If so I want to see a picture of a big rear end box with all the drives in it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That changes things, if the guy was called out of the blue by someone who managed to get hold of his number then I can understand why you wouldn't want to spend any more of your day off calling it back in to the helpdesk.

If he's been handing out the personal number to try to suck up to people then gently caress him.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Trastion posted:

No one else commented on this but does this mean that you already have our thumbdrives on hand? If so I want to see a picture of a big rear end box with all the drives in it.

Nope, the transfers from paypal and google just came through so I'm doing the banking to pay the order today. I do, however, have the big rear end list of people who paid and their addresses, and a crapton of envelopes, so I'm getting that all done before I receive the boxes. Pictures will be posted in the thumbdrive thread when I get them. The scale is pretty huge.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Caged posted:

If he's been handing out the personal number to try to suck up to people then gently caress him.
Sucking up is this guy's M.O. That's precisely why the director thinks he's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

:argh:"We NEED these extra phones!"

:argh:"WHAT DO YOU MEAN WE NEED TO BUY LICENSES?!!!!?!?!?! gently caress THAT."

v:shobon:v ???????

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

HalloKitty posted:

I changed my text in PuTTY to green because it's just more awesome :colbert:

Yellow Fixedsys is where it's at. (Also, displaying a screenful of yellow text on black makes my Dell LCD monitor emit a high-pitched whine. :v: )

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
G.E.'s lovely software is my current piss off. Muse 7.0.2 worked perfectly fine on Windows 7 (32bit and 64bit). Muse 7.1.1. shits the bed when you try to launch it. Good job, G.E.!

Corporate is also pissing me off. The support contract we had up until 2010 also allowed free upgrades. So, if we still had that, we'd be able to skip 7.1.1 and go to 8.x, which supports Windows 7.

So, now we have to run this poo poo program through WinXP mode. I'm sure that G.E. probably doesn't technically support that configuration, so we're probably up poo poo creek if things decide to stop working.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

wintermuteCF posted:

Terminate your address with a \ and Outlook will fix the link. Example: \\server\share\two words\ will link the whole thing.
Or you could just put in a proper link? It's not hard.

I don't want their to be a link, but outlook helpfully makes one on the client end. Which is why I specifically told them the link would not work, and to do copy/paste into start->run (They weren't one of my users or the share would have already been mapped by GPO).

Not Pissing Me Off So Much: In response to my email outlining why they failed to reach the network share (You are trying to reach a non-existent share), they apologized for not reading the instructions in the original email. I'll take what I can get :toot:

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Honey Im Homme posted:

:argh:"We NEED these extra phones!"

:argh:"WHAT DO YOU MEAN WE NEED TO BUY LICENSES?!!!!?!?!?! gently caress THAT."

v:shobon:v ???????

Lync VOIP deployment next year. I cannot wait for the poo poo to hit the CAL fan.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Kyrosiris posted:

I had the same issue with one of their all-in-one printers that have a scanner.

Well, no-idea if it will work for you, but here's the package of necessary files I found so you can avoid having to install CapturePerfect

http://www.lum.co.uk/temp/DR5010c%20Missing%20Files.7z

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Agrikk posted:

So I go over there this morning and the help he needs is "How do I change the color of the text in a putty session from grey to green?"

"Here, let me show you, its really easy!" and then rape him in the face with a heavy crescent wrench.

So today we got to go see our new building. It's actually really nice. Id' be VERY nice if it wasnt for the fact that it's an hour away now, vs 35 mins away for the current building.

The BEST thing about the new building is that nobody gets ANY cellphone reception in it.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Stealthgerbil posted:

gently caress scanners. I don't understand why this canon dr-2580c isn't showing up in the list of scanners in adobe. It is recognized as a scanner under devices. loving canon. I just plugged it into an identical machine with the same drivers (we move the scanner a lot) and it works fine. Did the usual uninstall drivers and software, etc too.

You may need to install the Twain plugin for Adobe, also if you're running a 64bit version of Photoshop I'm not sure it will display your scanners correctly. If you run the 32bit version it may work correctly.

All this information is off the top of my head from about a year ago so it may be wrong on all/most counts.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Lum posted:

Well, no-idea if it will work for you, but here's the package of necessary files I found so you can avoid having to install CapturePerfect

http://www.lum.co.uk/temp/DR5010c%20Missing%20Files.7z

Sweet. I eventually got it working (read: I gave up and installed CapturePerfect), but I'll keep this in mind.

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

TWBalls posted:

...so I try contacting the company for support and these guys want something in the neighborhood of $250.00, then $120.00/hr on top of that for after hours support. How can companies sell poo poo like this to hospitals, which, of course are open 24hrs?

Welcome to healthcare where everything is made up and the dollar figures are astronomical. My company charges $150/hr for business hours support and double that for after hours. Of course, this means that pretty much everyone has a standard fixed rate support contract (guaranteed money). What are the odds that someone turned down a fixed contract to "save money", or hell, failed to get free cover for a few week period after initial install. Enjoy!

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Some loving salesguys just sold a customer Oracle Enterprise Edition using Redhat High Availability for failover. They want to use multiple DB instances (which isnt supported) not to mention, the whole solution even if it WAS supported is a very poor one.

I should have taken vacation starting this week instead of next week, because I'm going to go punch a sales engineer in the mouth.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

nitrogen posted:

"Here, let me show you, its really easy!" and then rape him in the face with a heavy crescent wrench.

So today we got to go see our new building. It's actually really nice. Id' be VERY nice if it wasnt for the fact that it's an hour away now, vs 35 mins away for the current building.

The BEST thing about the new building is that nobody gets ANY cellphone reception in it.

That's annoying as gently caress when you're troubleshooting some issue with a vendor and you're on a cell phone because you can't get a desk phone in that closet or whatever.

Get one of those cell extender things you plug into a network port.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

That's annoying as gently caress when you're troubleshooting some issue with a vendor and you're on a cell phone because you can't get a desk phone in that closet or whatever.

Get a cordless phone in the server room and let everyone suffer :devil:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bob Morales posted:

I got to setup an AT&T one of them in the basement of a house once. Of course, if the unit can't get a GPS fix, it won't fully turn on (E911 purposes, apparently). However, apparently it only needs an initial GPS fix and unless the power is turned off, will retain that location and work just fine no matter where it actually ends up.

The solution was to setup a UPS in the kitchen, wait until the cell unit was fully on and then unplug the UPS and run downstairs and plug it back in.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do they not have a provision for an external GPS antenna hidden under a plastic cap or something?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Caged posted:

Do they not have a provision for an external GPS antenna hidden under a plastic cap or something?

There is a port for an "antenna" but I dunno if that's for GPS or more cell reception or what, because apparently AT&T doesn't actually make anything that plugs into said port.

Also even an external GPS receiver would have been pointless since the entire house was reinforced concrete, and we would have had to get somebody drill a hole through the exterior wall to thread anything. The unit needed a UPS anyway, so the solution wasn't really excessive in the end.

Commodore 64
Apr 2, 2007

The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel that was orange
gently caress Outlook 2011 and gently caress anyone who uses it.

We now have 2 executives (our CEO and CIO) and a sales manager that use that pile of poo poo on their personal macs and want us to support it with Google Apps.

Why the gently caress can't they use Apple Mail, Calendar and Contacts? Dear God WHy!?

Also, gently caress Zimbra 6.08. Whats been your favorite bug Commodore?

Is it the one that doesn't sync multiple calendar events between the server and Outlook; even with the connector?

The one where it locks people out of the web interface if they select the "beach" theme?

Or is it the one that randomly kicks people out of all email distribution lists?

The only reason we haven't taken this server to the glue farm is that our users HATE Google Apps and getting them to use Google Groups is going to be a nightmare.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

I got to setup an AT&T one of them in the basement of a house once. Of course, if the unit can't get a GPS fix, it won't fully turn on (E911 purposes, apparently). However, apparently it only needs an initial GPS fix and unless the power is turned off, will retain that location and work just fine no matter where it actually ends up.

The solution was to setup a UPS in the kitchen, wait until the cell unit was fully on and then unplug the UPS and run downstairs and plug it back in.

Verizon Wireless's Network Extender has the same requirement, except it has to KEEP the GPS fix. If it looses the GPS fix for more than a few seconds it will shut off the cellular part.

From what I understand the GPS fix requirement is not only for E911 purposes but also for region locking; making sure its only used where they want you to use it. Without the GPS requirement it could very well be taken out of the country and be used to bypass the carrier's international roaming rates.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Commodore 64 posted:

The one where it locks people out of the web interface if they select the "beach" theme?

:wtc: I would love to hear how the hell this happens.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
My company is attempting to sell services to a fortune 500 energy company. During deal talks, my boss is brought in to fill out an information security checklist to give the customer an idea of our security policies and procedures.

This is nothing new. My boss gets these probably 2-3 times a month and half rear end fills them out. He fudges all of them and we get by because the customers never really follow up or want proof.

Fast forward to Monday where I am brought into this meeting and I very quickly realize that the security person on the other end isn't loving around. It appears my boss got a bulleted list of about 160 security requirements. He blindly put "yes" on "does meet" on all of them and sent them back as he always had done. He missed the part where the list asked for very specific proof requirements on each line. This infosec guy is now asking us why we didn't send any of the materials he asked for in the timeline that my boss had already promised. Did i mention that he had promised everything in a day?

This list of requirements is very stiff. It would take more than a year to implement them if we started right now as well as rack up high costs. My boss is in the hot seat because he has basically lied on the entire form and his promises haven't been met. His plan? To forge everything we can to get this off his plate so that the salespeople can continue the sale.

He really is a nice guy. He just doesn't understand infosec and doesn't take it seriously. He doesn't understand the ramifications of committing this type of fraud with a company that has more lawyers on staff than we do employees. I am trying my best to show him that losing a sale over non-existent security is better than the alternative. That change doesn't really happen unless it affects the bottom line. That being honest in these responses from our dept is going to be better in the long run and let the sales people handle all the lying.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Caged posted:

I treat anything sent to my e-mail instead of the ticket system as a vague suggestion as to what I should do should I ever have free time. I never have free time.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Sickening posted:

let the sales people handle all the lying.

Now THIS is a great thread title.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Rhymenoserous posted:

I treat anything sent to my e-mail instead of the ticket system as a vague suggestion as to what I should do should I ever have free time. I never have free time.

I like to explain it to users as "how do you think the chances compare between me missing ignoring your email/phone call and the entire IT department ignoring your ticket?"

The answer is 100% on both because you have IT Munchhausens and nobody on earth can fix your problems.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

door.jar posted:

Welcome to healthcare where everything is made up and the dollar figures are astronomical. My company charges $150/hr for business hours support and double that for after hours. Of course, this means that pretty much everyone has a standard fixed rate support contract (guaranteed money). What are the odds that someone turned down a fixed contract to "save money", or hell, failed to get free cover for a few week period after initial install. Enjoy!

Yeah, I've been doing healthcare IT for ~13 years, so this shouldn't surprise me. It's also incredibly annoying when the company is on the opposite coast and only has support techs 8-5 their time. That's some bullshit. If you know you have customers in another time zone, you ought to be able to support them during normal business hours in that time zone as well.

I wouldn't at all be surprised that some cheapskate turned down a fixed contract. See my previous rant about G.E. Muse.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

dennyk posted:

Yellow Fixedsys is where it's at. (Also, displaying a screenful of yellow text on black makes my Dell LCD monitor emit a high-pitched whine. :v: )

Igvita-desert.reg, done.

Today a couple of our client computers started lagging _bad_. One guy came back to his computer only to find a completely black screen with just the mousecursor on it, it was running some Symantec Endpoitn Protection -process at 100% cpu and using >1gb ram.
Took 10 minutes to logon after the first forced reboot.
15 the second time.
10 minutes to do smc -stop after waiting for first win+r to appear and then "cmd".

Global IT apparently made changes with no warning during the day, to fix the problem where none of our computers has been getting updates from the sep-server for weeks.

Commodore 64
Apr 2, 2007

The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel that was orange

RadicalR posted:

:wtc: I would love to hear how the hell this happens.

Poorly written JS on the community edition of Zimbra. Zimbra was never patched and the former Linux admin, who ran it, believed that "storage is cheap; so ~unlimited~ mail boxes for everyone!".

He also wore a top hat and loved bitcoin.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
poo poo pissing me off: Schrodinger's Clients. Apparently the Account manager for a client is unable to tell me wither or not a client exists or not and its holding up a project.

Commodore 64 posted:

Poorly written JS on the community edition of Zimbra. Zimbra was never patched and the former Linux admin, who ran it, believed that "storage is cheap; so ~unlimited~ mail boxes for everyone!".

He also wore a top hat and loved bitcoin.

They're always so easy to spot.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm more surprised there's a beach theme in what is supposed to be an ~enterprise~ application.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

TWBalls posted:

Yeah, I've been doing healthcare IT for ~13 years, so this shouldn't surprise me. It's also incredibly annoying when the company is on the opposite coast and only has support techs 8-5 their time. That's some bullshit. If you know you have customers in another time zone, you ought to be able to support them during normal business hours in that time zone as well.

If you're in the USA don't ever, every buy software from a small company in Europe. Ever. That poo poo like 5 or more hours ahead of us.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Bob Morales posted:

If you're in the USA don't ever, every buy software from a small company in Europe. Ever. That poo poo like 5 or more hours ahead of us.

Unfortunately, there are occasions where a department will go ahead and purchase hardware/software without bothering to consult us and then expect us to support it. The Ascom wireless system I was bitching about a few posts back is one of them. I think I mentioned another one in the old thread, where it's some software for the Physical therapists. The interface that the PT's actually see is web based. They purchased these massive Dell Precision "laptops" (these things are friggin' HUGE) with Core i7's, ATi FireGL GPU and 4+GB of RAM for this.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
One of the hotels we support uses PMS software from a tiny company in New Zealand. We're in the UK.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
poo poo not pissing me off today:

My lab gear is finally set up for now.

After struggling to find a decently performing iSCSI SAN configuration (HP P410 RAID controller with 512MB BBWC and Windows Server 2012 - who knew?), hard drive additions, case upgrades and other reorganization and whatnot - my poo poo is up and running, monitoring, alerting and emailing. And folding.

It's incredible. I feel... complete... somehow.

And yes, I have an unhealthy relationship with my gear. I need to unplug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

TWBalls posted:

We support clients all over the world. We run support Mon-Fri 9:00-8:00 EST - people know this before they pay. We will work with people to arrange alternative hours. That being said, its prohibitively expensive to staff people 24/7 for 1-2 tickets a week that come in at "off-hours" time. But that being said, someplace running 9-5 PST with EST customers is silly, we at least cover longer times.