Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
SHS's front page seemingly isn't being updated any more so you have to dive into the backend to find the new mods, but they definitely are coming out at a much faster pace than G3's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Max Wilco posted:

EDIT: I've added the current character stats to check and see if I messed up during character creation:

Always put 18 into wisdom at character creation when playing Planescape: Torment no matter what class you want to play as. Trust me on this.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Just beat Firkraag pretty handily and now I am wondering if I should pickup Keldorn or not. I have been rolling with mage/cleric main, dorn. korgan, viconia, hexxat and edwin. I imagine this isn't really compatible with Keldorn? Holy avenger is such a good sword is a shame to see it go to waste.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

cheesetriangles posted:

Just beat Firkraag pretty handily and now I am wondering if I should pickup Keldorn or not. I have been rolling with mage/cleric main, dorn. korgan, viconia, hexxat and edwin. I imagine this isn't really compatible with Keldorn? Holy avenger is such a good sword is a shame to see it go to waste.

I know Viconia and Keldorn don't get along. I'd imagine same to be true for Hexxat too.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Great thread - thank you. Can you please add to the I can't hurt this monster, help! section of the OP a breakdown of each of the golem types and the required weapon (blunt, or +3 or whatever)?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Also mention the difference between "<target> is immune to my damage" (wrong damage type) and "weapon ineffective" (weapon not enchanted enough.)

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Well I'm putting the Eyeless cult sidequest in BG2 on hold as I can't be damned to get pass those undeads and snake people. I've started this game over many times before and I was wondering what sidequests/dungeons are the easiest and should be done first?

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

BadAstronaut posted:

Great thread - thank you. Can you please add to the I can't hurt this monster, help! section of the OP a breakdown of each of the golem types and the required weapon (blunt, or +3 or whatever)?

I think it's against the law to not include Minsc's quote on the subject.

"No effect?! I need a bigger sword!"

:black101:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Evil party may be only level 10 but they put in some serious work.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Well I'm putting the Eyeless cult sidequest in BG2 on hold as I can't be damned to get pass those undeads and snake people. I've started this game over many times before and I was wondering what sidequests/dungeons are the easiest and should be done first?

The mystery of the copper coronet is extremely easy, as is its follow up quest. Talk to the owner and say you are interested in "other forms of entertainment" to get access to the back rooms.

After that I'd say Nalia's quest (started in the copper coronet) is also relatively easy and should be done second. After those two you should be strong and well equipped enough to take on any quest.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Can we get, somewhere in the OP, "yes the enhanced edition is just as good if not better than tutu/BGT but they are free if you already own the games." Gets asked about once per page.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Murders in bridge district is pretty easy too.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Suspicious posted:

Always put 18 into wisdom at character creation when playing Planescape: Torment no matter what class you want to play as. Trust me on this.

For Torment, you're justified in just cheating your stats up to all 18s. A lot of the more interesting story content is gated on having 18 Wis/Int/Cha, and the combat just isn't very good. All 18s means you can experience as much of the :words: as you want and get a leg up in the pretty bad combat.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

cheesetriangles posted:

Evil party may be only level 10 but they put in some serious work.

You are playing with the exact same party as I am. Only difference is that my PC is a sorcerer.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Beating Kangaxx with a level 11 party feels pretty god drat amazing. I guess I should finally pay Gaeln Bayle his money huh? Enough dicking around before going to chapter 3.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I'm going through BG2:EE and I think Rasaad is going gay for me. He's been moping all through the game about his dead brother, and I was patting him on the back, just trying to be a bro, when he suddenly says he wants our relationship to be "something more". Are homosexual romances now in the game?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Yes they are now in game.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The OP doesn't have any of the various save editors. Here's a handy list of them. Generally speaking you should use Shadowkeeper for BG2/BGT/Tutu installs and EE keeper for BG:EE and BG2:EE. The rest of the save editors are pretty self explanatory.

Edit: Links are now in OP.

sweet geek swag fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 20, 2013

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

For Torment, you're justified in just cheating your stats up to all 18s. A lot of the more interesting story content is gated on having 18 Wis/Int/Cha, and the combat just isn't very good. All 18s means you can experience as much of the :words: as you want and get a leg up in the pretty bad combat.

The game checks for either high intelligence or wisdom for dialogues almost all the times though. Wisdom gives an experience bonus which translates into more levels and thus more stat points to distribute. Intelligence isn't useful if you aren't a mage. You don't need to be a mage, I guess that's the point I was indirectly making. Starting with 18 wisdom will unlock the vast majority of dialogue options and you can spend the rest of your points in physical stats if you want.

Charisma-only options with no wise alternatives are pretty rare. So rare that I can't think of a meaningful one.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

cheesetriangles posted:

Yes they are now in game.
Lesbian ones as well?

Will they at least give me an option to let him down gently?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Hexxat is a lesbian romance. I am not sure I haven't done Rassad romance.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

I tried a BG demo a couple of years ago and I literally could not figure out how to fight dudes at all so I just quit. I usually have a bit of patience with regards to these things and I play roguelikes with ascii graphics so that's not an issue. I just have 2 questions: Are the EEs significantly easier to understand/interpret or am I still going to be completely lost if I try and start one of these up? And,
Will I have fun if I choose to play like a fighter or something in BG2? Everything I've heard about it points towards magic being the be all and end all.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The Baldur's Gate demo was non-interactive if I remember correctly. Like it was just a bunch of scenes that played.

The game is fairly intuitive for how to attack dudes, you just click on the ones you need to attack. But most attacks involve random chance to hit, so it might seem like you have no idea what you are doing, but just let it play out.

Magic is just generally powerful, but you get like a party of six people, so your character only matters depending on your preference and what you want to ALWAYS have access to. Oh, and the only way to game over is if your guy dies.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Bob NewSCART posted:

Will I have fun if I choose to play like a fighter or something in BG2? Everything I've heard about it points towards magic being the be all and end all.
Magic is potent but warriors can hold their own and some are quite fun. I also find that warriors are a little more reliable, being that so many monsters have resistances to magic.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Bob NewSCART posted:

BG games play more like RTS than a roguelike. Sure you make your own dude, but really you control the whole party. Also if you start with BG1 know that the combat you do for the first couple levels is very different from how it works later on.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Using wisdom as a dump stat is all and good until you get Mazed. I could beat that vampire bitch if I was only not so dumb.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Bob NewSCART posted:

I tried a BG demo a couple of years ago and I literally could not figure out how to fight dudes at all so I just quit. I usually have a bit of patience with regards to these things and I play roguelikes with ascii graphics so that's not an issue. I just have 2 questions: Are the EEs significantly easier to understand/interpret or am I still going to be completely lost if I try and start one of these up? And,

The Enhanced Editions does not make the games easier, or give you hints on what to do. I played BG1 with a guide (http://www.forgottenwars.com/bg1/) and I continue to play BG2 with a guide (http://www.gamebanshee.com/baldursgateii/walkthrough.php / http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/258273-baldurs-gate-ii-shadows-of-amn/faqs/34147) otherwise I'd be seriously lost.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Here's a cool little thing for those new to BG2.

Get a Rogue Stone, and go to the Bridge District. There's a house there which you can now enter. Thank me later.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
You kids and your Internet guides. I played through bg2 before I started using the internets but I missed out on almost nothing

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ddraig posted:

Get a Rogue Stone, and go to the Bridge District. There's a house there which you can now enter. Thank me later.

Your party better be pretty drat up there in levels, or you know how to exploit the engine.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

He is easily doable before before spellhold. Not for those new to the game though. The coffin in docks is much more newbie friendly.

When I first realized one of the new characters in BG2EE was a pure thief I was pretty excited. Then I remembered pure thieves are complete garbage. Have fun getting out spellhold. Might have left Edwin and Viconia behind too.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Bob NewSCART posted:

Like I said in the OP, try a half orc fighter/cleric. They're impossible to gently caress up and you'll get a good idea of what the spell casting is like. Even if you pick suboptimal spells to cast before a fight, your 19 str, 19 con, half orc should just beat the poo poo out of things anyway.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Is the only way to get the Ring of Wizardry from doing the Harper quest line? I am a mage/cleric and didn't get planar sphere for my stronghold because I did cleric stronghold first. I kicked Jaheria out as soon as the game started. Is it possible to still complete the quest line if I add her back to my party? It is pretty much the last piece of powerful items I am missing from my super powered character.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Ddraig posted:

First thing that'll probably happen is they'll disintegrated by that trap on the door :allears:

Buying Azuredge and Shield of Balduran actually makes that fight laughable even at low levels.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

cheesetriangles posted:

Is the only way to get the Ring of Wizardry from doing the Harper quest line? I am a mage/cleric and didn't get planar sphere for my stronghold because I did cleric stronghold first. I kicked Jaheria out as soon as the game started. Is it possible to still complete the quest line if I add her back to my party? It is pretty much the last piece of powerful items I am missing from my super powered character.

Yes, the only way to get the ring of wizardry outside of crafting it as part of the wizard stronghold quest is by doing Jaheira's quest line. Did you already do Xzar's quest?

Orv
May 4, 2011

cheesetriangles posted:

Provided you released her then got rid of her you can go find her, add her back in and do the Xzar stuff. If you're not romancing her at the end of the Xzar stuff it more or less immediately triggers the following stuff instead of having to wait. If you've already completed Xzar's quest you are hosed.

Orv fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 20, 2013

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

No thankfully I never did the Xzar stuff. Great well lets just wrap up chapter 5 then go find out what Jaheria is up to. I have every other item a mage/cleric could ever want. Except for some drat levels. Only barely above 1.6m XP.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

BadAstronaut posted:

So what level can, say, a Paladin reach for cheesing this method immediately at game start?

From the BG:EE thread, if I had to make a guess, I'd say that completely clearing the area of basilisks and every other hostile would give between 28k-35k exp, putting you well on the way to level 6, assuming you're soloing and depending on the number of greater basilisks. I think there at least 3 of those in the area.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 20, 2013

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Suspicious posted:

Charisma-only options with no wise alternatives are pretty rare. So rare that I can't think of a meaningful one.
You need a Charisma of 15 I think to get to meet the Silent King without being forced to murder all of his followers. The Friends spell helps.

cheesetriangles posted:

Using wisdom as a dump stat is all and good until you get Mazed. I could beat that vampire bitch if I was only not so dumb.
I'm pretty sure it's Intelligence that affects how long you are Mazed for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Well I have 18 int and 18 wis. I left the game alone for 5 minutes and it never unmazed me. I think it bugged out.