Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Elendil004 posted:

Someone brought up a good point, there is a lot of back and forth between LoL streamers that's way more "hate speech" filled than Remove Horror is. If you wan't to be super anal retentive, that's twitches right, but they really do need to enforce across the board.

The FGC has had more honestly bigoted stuff on streams than anything that has really happened here. Twitch's behavior is disgusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Wow, they're really doubling (trebling?) down on the whole "any criticism of admins (including the phrase 'remove Horror') is hate speech", aren't they.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

This could have all been avoided if, once twitch stopped being a tiny niche community and started functioning like a real company, they had put in place internal guidelines and policies and then followed them.

Then when this happened, they could have issued a short statement, in accordance with their policies, and that would have been the end of it.

e: ahaha he just blamed Poe's Law.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

apostateCourier posted:

MSgtGunny's channel appears to be offline. Am I doing something wrong?

He is not streaming, just sitting in his chat typing responses.

Northwest!
Aug 9, 2008
"Poe's law makes dealing with these kinds of things very hard ( for reference http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe%27s_law )"

hahahahahahahahaha

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

apostateCourier posted:

Just wait for the chat to show up, it may be in sub-only mode (and he has no subs :shobon:)

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

So "It's hard to distinguish trolling form real hate speech so we're just not going to try hard." ?

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Elendil004 posted:

... they really do need to enforce across the board.

Not being able to enforce their own rules across the board, particularly re: sub icons, is what lead to people being upset with Horror to begin with.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

Elendil004 posted:

So "It's hard to distinguish trolling form real hate speech so we're just not going to try hard." ?

It's actually pretty easy if you're not completely out of touch with reality...

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
This is an amazing failure of damage control.

Zecks
Mar 6, 2013
In actual speedrun news, Japan is dead yet again, as bjw just barely cut Ken's Mega Man X2 time with a 33:39. He'll definitely be improving it further but he already deserves huge congrats for this. I can't recommend this stream enough.

WR vod here: http://www.twitch.tv/bjw/c/3274242

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The image filled with actual screengrabs is apparently too biased to really matter or prove anything. Despite Twitch providing no alternative record of events.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Elendil004 posted:

Someone brought up a good point, there is a lot of back and forth between LoL streamers that's way more "hate speech" filled than Remove Horror is. If you wan't to be super anal retentive, that's twitches right, but they really do need to enforce across the board.
This is twitch politics pretending to be rational behavior, so expecting consistency or objectiveness (especially when it comes to viewer/adview counts) probably won't end well.

Okay, less politics, more embarrassing high-school melt-downs.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 20, 2013

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

apostateCourier posted:

He is offline. It's just the chat. Nothing much is happening now because it is in sub only mod while he reads responses.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
You can chat in channels even if they aren't streaming, which is what is happening here.

As some who runs a small community myself, it's pretty amazing to watch how this has gone up in flames. Horror took a joke way too personally (first mistake), jumped to the nuclear option right away (second mistake), and Twitch doubled down on the whole mess.

It's really something special.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

This is politics, not rational behavior, so expecting consistency or objectiveness (especially when it comes to viewer/adview counts) probably won't end well.

And that's the problem. Twitch is a business and should act like one.

The analogy I was discussing with someone earlier was if someone at Sony gave their boyfriend a PS4 3 weeks ago. Ok, not a big deal, people get gifts and special treatment...so what. Now that same person at Sony does that and brags about it...Sony would shut that down in seconds faster than the GOP thinks women's bodies shut down legitimate rape.

It's clear that Twitch has no internal policies about banning, enforcing bans, when to ban, reviewing bans, dealing with banned people, etc. Or if they do, it's clear nobody follows them. It's also clear Twitch either has no person who handles PR, or the person who does is hiking in the Andes right now.

e: I don't know DB, but I bet a hundred bucks if Horror had simply said in private "that was offensive please don't say something like that even as a joke" DB would have said "sorry" and it'd be a non story. OR you'd have had DB in chat going postal and plenty of reasons for sane-admin-Horror to feel like it was true hate speech and ban.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Elendil004 posted:

Except all LoL hate speech and everything the FGC said isn't a "Witch Hunt" of a Twitch admin so they don't give a gently caress about that.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

None of these admins are actual employees of twitch right?

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

hitze posted:

The only person with an Admin Badge that's employed by Twitch is Horror.

e: Also, speaking of "no reason":

http://ask.fm/wersterlobe/answer/104116811609

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I guess his no reason spiel was partially in response to me, since I said Horror added his boyfriend's fursona as a global emote for no reason. Gunny's response? Everyone's got different opinions man! No one is right or wrong really.

Except Twitch. Who is always right and will ban you for hate speech apparently?

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

http://www.twitch.tv/cptpoopfist

well this isn't going to end well.
Another WR run for getting banned?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

I'm enjoying the bursts of outraged chatter every time the chat leaves Subscribers Only mode. Hopefully he'll buckle eventually.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

hitze posted:

Just because you don't get paid does not mean you may not be an employee. Not sure what the actual litmus test is but volunteers are often held to the same standard as people who draw a paycheck.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

AzMiLion posted:

Pro click zone. Jesus hahahahah

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I just saw someone make a joke about it in an fgc stream. So it appears to be making the rounds.

Also this chat is getting more and more vitriolic. People are claiming that Horror forced gay furriness onto all of chat by putting in the emote.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

TheQat posted:

Pro-click zone. Jesus hahahahah

I love that he's wearing a furhat, it's not a full suit is it?

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

AzMiLion posted:

Everything about this channel is fantastic. Esp his in game name of WHITEPOWER

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

AzMiLion posted:

This owns

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

AzMiLion posted:

Yeah, this is pro click as gently caress. I love it when the Internet gets mad :allears:

e: he named his character 'WHITEPOWER' ahahaha

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Elendil004 posted:

I love that he's wearing a furhat, it's not a full suit is it?

don't think so, I imagine that would get unbearably hot but what do I know

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Nativity In Black posted:

I just saw someone make a joke about it in an fgc stream. So it appears to be making the rounds.

Also this chat is getting more and more vitriolic. People are claiming that Horror forced gay furriness onto all of chat by putting in the emote.

Oh lord, the FGC is the last group you want involved in this. Hooooooo boy.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

AzMiLion posted:

I have not stopped laughing since I clicked this link.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

AzMiLion posted:

I loving love poopfist.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I just scrolled down and read his profile and ahahahahahaa

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

So guys somebody completed Earthbound in four minutes that's pretty cool right?

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CvJqzYpWms i don't understand what's going on

Zereth fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 20, 2013

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Nativity In Black posted:

It was me, I claimed that

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Violently Car posted:

Oh lord, the FGC is the last group you want involved in this. Hooooooo boy.

Whats FGC?

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

Whats FGC?

Fighting Game Community. Basically the Mos Eisley Cantina of Twitch

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

Whats FGC?

Fighting game community. It has a pretty bad reputation for trolling and all that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Zereth posted:

So guys somebody completed Earthbound in four minutes that's pretty cool right?

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CvJqzYpWms i don't understand what's going on

I love that the first part of the video is just making music with the menu sounds (Earthbound still has the best menu sounds of all time)

• Locked thread