Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
Friends' 2002 S4 (autotragic) that he picked up for $2100 is throwing a buttload of CEL's (of course.)

The most difficult one to correct is going to be P0732.

A friend of his says he can get him a transmission for $500 and help him swap it out. This same friend also tells him that P0732 indicates that he has a faulty solenoid or two.

I've read a few different threads about this, Google isn't incredibly helpful most threads end with the owner being told to have a competent professional change out the whole transmission.

This is another interesting response that tl:dr basically just recommends unplugging and replugging the TCM

quote:

Pull the connector on both the TCM (under the carpet on passenger's side) and the connector to the trans itself and look for any bent/corroded pins. If you got the fluid in correctly another problem it could be is with the TR (transmission range) switch. It tells the TCM which gear you are in, if it get the incorrect signal it will put in in limp mode (3rd gear permanent) and make it feel like its slower than hell.
BTW, please tell me you didn't put in a standard ATF in this trans?

I'm unable to find any references to these "solenoids..'' You dudes have any input/advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I've got a rental Golf (Rabbit?) today. Not sure about the year or much else.

Every time I exceed 20 MPH it chimes and pops up a warning on the MFI saying Warning 20 MPH Speed Limit exceeded, or something like that.

If it was my car I'd read the manual, but it's a rental that I'm returning tonight. Can anyone tell me how to disable that quickly? I don't even know where the controls are for that display.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Might be a longshot but in my 04 TT that is disabled by long pressing the button to the left of the speedometer.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Opensourcepirate posted:

Every time I exceed 20 MPH it chimes and pops up a warning on the MFI saying Warning 20 MPH Speed Limit exceeded, or something like that.

If it was my car I'd read the manual, but it's a rental that I'm returning tonight. Can anyone tell me how to disable that quickly? I don't even know where the controls are for that display.

Should just have to press and hold the 0.0 button I think. I think it's on the instrument panel but Im not sure.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Opensourcepirate posted:

at a stop you want to switch the MFI to settings and locate the menu where you can change the speed warning. I usually have it set to 75 in my TDI but someone must have set it lower on that car as a joke.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

BraveUlysses posted:

at a stop you want to switch the MFI to settings and locate the menu where you can change the speed warning. I usually have it set to 75 in my TDI but someone must have set it lower on that car as a joke.

I set mine at 71 when I was coming home from Thanksgiving last year, after 2 separate cocksucking state troopers pulled me over for speeding in a 70. First one I might have been doing 75, but I saw him and knew it was a god damned cop. 2nd time I was doing exactly 70 and still got pulled over. Assholes just looking for drunks in the middle of the night and I was the only car on the road. Still annoying as poo poo to deal with.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays

BraveUlysses posted:

How to I get to settings? My car / manual are valet parked right now, but it would be nice to know what to do before I get in and drive back to the airport. I looked before and saw no obvious buttons to control it. There were menu and such on the center console, but that all seemed to be radio stuff.

Edit: I just googled it. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/multifunction-display-VW.htm

Opensourcepirate fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 14, 2013

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Well I fixed my car (from 10 posts ago). I had to bite the bullet and take it to the dealership. Turns out it was a faulty Crankshaft position sensor. What the hell, I didn't even know that was a thing that existed.

BelDin
Jan 29, 2001

stratdax posted:

Well I fixed my car (from 10 posts ago). I had to bite the bullet and take it to the dealership. Turns out it was a faulty Crankshaft position sensor. What the hell, I didn't even know that was a thing that existed.

Also known as an "engine speed sensor" right next to the oil filter. That's why I asked that question.... I just had to replace mine a few months ago when it showed the same symptoms as yours.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I'm really contemplating doing something stupid. Trading my 11 TDI in for a 13 .:R. Bring me to my senses AI.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

veedubfreak posted:

I'm really contemplating doing something stupid. Trading my 11 TDI in for a 13 .:R. Bring me to my senses AI.

Sounds dumb to me, why are you considering this?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

veedubfreak posted:

As the owner of a 2010 GTI, this sounds like a terrible idea.

siliciferous
Sep 29, 2003

One cannot fight that which has no basis in reality.

veedubfreak posted:

Run that TDI ragged, save some cash in the process, and get a Mk7 R (lightly used) in a few years instead.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

veedubfreak posted:

Despite my undying TDI love I'm gonna go with trade it for the R. I had an 04 and it was unreal fun.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

BelDin posted:

Also known as an "engine speed sensor" right next to the oil filter. That's why I asked that question.... I just had to replace mine a few months ago when it showed the same symptoms as yours.

Damnit! Well I hosed that up. I'll pay attention next time.

MoraleBuddy
Sep 7, 2008

My roommate has a 2003 Golf (2.0, 5 speed) with what I'm calling a "phantom" check engine light. Which is to say, it has a check engine light on, but as soon as a scanner is plugged in the light goes away and the scanner doesn't register any codes. A couple weeks later, it returns. I'm certain its not my scanner wigging out because it doesn't have a clear codes function, and this problem has displayed itself with multiple scanners. Any thoughts? Oh, and it has another weird issues that comes and goes. Very infrequently, after having been driven on the highway, the gear shift won't select the correct gears- it's as though the shift pattern gets adjusted to the left one slot- to get into first, you have to push the shifter down like you're trying to get into reverse, and reverse becomes more of an concept than an actual thing you can use. Is this common? Is this something that can be caused by heat? I noticed that it really only occurs on hot days in the summer, and after sitting for an hour or two everything functions as normal.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Residency Evil posted:

As the owner of a 2010 GTI, this sounds like a terrible idea.

As the owner of a 2013 R, this sounds like a great idea :getin:
Although waiting for the next-gen R isn't a bad idea considering the jump in power and drop in weight.....

EDIT
And just so we're clear here, I average around 21 miles per gallon mostly driving around town like an rear end in a top hat or around 27 on the highway, and it drinks premium. And you insurance will probably go up.
And your tires will probably wear faster.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 16, 2013

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MoraleBuddy posted:

My roommate has a 2003 Golf (2.0, 5 speed) with what I'm calling a "phantom" check engine light. Which is to say, it has a check engine light on, but as soon as a scanner is plugged in the light goes away and the scanner doesn't register any codes. A couple weeks later, it returns. I'm certain its not my scanner wigging out because it doesn't have a clear codes function, and this problem has displayed itself with multiple scanners. Any thoughts?

I'm going to guess you have a generic OBDII scanner. Chances are very high that the DTC that is setting the MIL is a body code or other code that you can't read with your scanner.

You'll need VAGCOM or similar to make it give up it's secrets.

MoraleBuddy
Sep 7, 2008

I do, in fact, have a generic scanner. Thanks for the reply, I'll let him know he has to communicate with the VAG.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

MoraleBuddy posted:

I'll let him know he has to communicate with the VAG.

This takes years, years, and more years of subjective training.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

West SAAB Story posted:

This takes years, years, and more years of subjective training.

Naw, just wiggle the connector around a bit

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fart Pipe posted:

Despite my undying TDI love I'm gonna go with trade it for the R. I had an 04 and it was unreal fun.

Ah, mkIV, the last good R32 :smuggo:

dat note http://vimeo.com/14244345

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

BurgerQuest posted:

Ah, mkIV, the last good R32 :smuggo:

dat note http://vimeo.com/14244345

Oh yes, I WILL own a MKIV R again.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KakerMix posted:

As the owner of a 2013 R, this sounds like a great idea :getin:
Although waiting for the next-gen R isn't a bad idea considering the jump in power and drop in weight.....

EDIT
And just so we're clear here, I average around 21 miles per gallon mostly driving around town like an rear end in a top hat or around 27 on the highway, and it drinks premium. And you insurance will probably go up.
And your tires will probably wear faster.

I already called my insurance agent. My insurance would go up 9 bucks per month as long as I buy a 4 door. I already drive like an rear end in a top hat and have 19s on the golf so tire wear is a moot point. Premium is still 50 cents loving cheaper than diesel. None of these things are making me not want to do this. The only thing kind of iffy is the leather seats. When is the next R due out?

Welp...the new R has 300hp. Guess I'll just keep saving up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzJKJlg7Rl4

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 18, 2013

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

veedubfreak posted:

I already called my insurance agent. My insurance would go up 9 bucks per month as long as I buy a 4 door. I already drive like an rear end in a top hat and have 19s on the golf so tire wear is a moot point. Premium is still 50 cents loving cheaper than diesel. None of these things are making me not want to do this. The only thing kind of iffy is the leather seats. When is the next R due out?

Welp...the new R has 300hp. Guess I'll just keep saving up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzJKJlg7Rl4

Things I've found out about the R so far:

It will be 2015 before we see the new one in North America
Unknown if we'll get a choice between the DSG and 6 speed manual or if we'll miss out on the LED tail lights again
Probably going to be made in Germany still instead of Mexico like the rest of NA VWs
The new S4 S3 and R share power plants

I quite like the leather in mine, I'm not quite sure what aspect of it would be iffy unless it's something specific to leather in general.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 18, 2013

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KakerMix posted:

Unknown if we'll get a choice between the DSG and 6 speed manual or if we'll miss out on the LED tail lights again
Probably going to be made in Germany still instead of Mexico like the rest of NA VWs
The new S4 and R share power plants

I quite like the leather in mine, I'm not quite sure what aspect of it would be iffy unless it's something specific to leather in general.

Leather makes my rear end sweat.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

KakerMix posted:

The new S4 and R share power plants

Where have you seen the S4 will get the R engine? I could see the S3 but it seems like a hefty step back from the current SC V6 and active rear dif Torsen system.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Jymmybob posted:

Where have you seen the S4 will get the R engine? I could see the S3 but it seems like a hefty step back from the current SC V6 and active rear dif Torsen system.

:doh: I meant the S3, whoops.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

veedubfreak posted:

Leather makes my rear end sweat.

I imagine in those trim levels you get cooled seats anyway.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Snowdens Secret posted:

I imagine in those trim levels you get cooled seats anyway.

Unless something major has changed, nope. There are no cooled seats in the R. German climate coming through loud and clear.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I was a little upset the 2011 Q7 didn't come with the cooled seats but its going to see much more cold weather anyways so I think I will survive.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I'm basing my sweaty rear end off of my 85 Accord that had leather and the test drive I had in the Jetta Wagen with "leatherette". Although the Recarros in my GLI were pretty nonbreathable too. So far the seats in the TDI are really nice.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

My rear end sweats in the leatherette seats of my Jetta, but not the leather seats of my fiancées B6 A4 or the C5 allroad I had. Might have something to do with the fact that leatherette is basically plastic, in my understanding.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Looking to buy a 1998 Passat Se 20V, 1.8 Petrol Manual. Seller wants £380 and say the alternator is shot and a replacement part come in the boot... Is this a good deal and is it easy to change the alternator over? This is a V6 right?

Edit: oh year 12 month MOT and 3 Months Tax... 154,000 Miles on her. Body work is straight..

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

thegasman2000 posted:

Looking to buy a 1998 Passat Se 20V, 1.8 Petrol Manual. Seller wants £380 and say the alternator is shot and a replacement part come in the boot... Is this a good deal and is it easy to change the alternator over? This is a V6 right?

Edit: oh year 12 month MOT and 3 Months Tax... 154,000 Miles on her. Body work is straight..

That seems pretty cheap even with the alternator being out and fairly high mileage. Replacing it also looks pretty straightforward but I am definitely not a mechanic. That it passed the MOT is good, but certainly check it out in detail, as that's not a whole lot more than the scrap value, and that would be a bit of a warning sign to me.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

thegasman2000 posted:

Its a 4 cylinder and is SLOW and troublesome. 5 speed is a bonus though.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

Fart Pipe posted:

Its a 4 cylinder and is SLOW and troublesome. 5 speed is a bonus though.

Not worried about it as it's a temp job till I finish my Vw camper project!

Is it a turbo or not seems complicated as I though it was a v6. I know noticing about new ish engines

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

thegasman2000 posted:

Not worried about it as it's a temp job till I finish my Vw camper project!

Is it a turbo or not seems complicated as I though it was a v6. I know noticing about new ish engines

Yea it's turbo, if its short term that's ok but I had nothing but problems with my 97 A4 1.8T.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I was taking my 09 AT Rabbit to the garage to get the transmission fluid changed, and the check engine light happened to come on on the way there. I needed the car back that night to go to work the next day so the mechanic didn't have time to look into it, but I had him pull the codes and figured I'd might as well post them here and see if anyone could clue me in to what I'm looking at. The car seems to be driving ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

drukqs posted:

Friends' 2002 S4 (autotragic) that he picked up for $2100 is throwing a buttload of CEL's (of course.)

The most difficult one to correct is going to be P0732.

A friend of his says he can get him a transmission for $500 and help him swap it out. This same friend also tells him that P0732 indicates that he has a faulty solenoid or two.

I've read a few different threads about this, Google isn't incredibly helpful most threads end with the owner being told to have a competent professional change out the whole transmission.

This is another interesting response that tl:dr basically just recommends unplugging and replugging the TCM

I'm unable to find any references to these "solenoids..'' You dudes have any input/advice?

If anybody was curious...

Friend changed the ATF and filter... Spat out 9-10 chunks of metal that were quite certainly teeth from a now toothless gear of some sort. So he's transmission shopping now.