Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Apparently Jaheria gets really mad if you kick her out late in her storyline. Sorry babe but I needed that ring of wizardry just not you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

You cannot re-hire her either then.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm sure she will calm down by Throne of Bhaal.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

JebanyPedal posted:

The Baldur's Gate games have really mediocre stories and some terribly designed encounters and dungeons that aren't very much fun to play through, Planescape: Torment has some good characterization and actually has interesting themes, but is a godawful chore to play and is filled with way, way, way too much text, whoever wrote it didn't really understand economy of words.
I honestly think the Icewind Dale games are the only ones that have aged well at all (besides BG2) and are actually fun to play games, which BG1 isn't, BG2 varies too much, and PS:T is literally one of the most boring things I've ever played in my life.

I've never finished either IWD game because I find them monotonous and shallow. Combat is not the strong point of the infinity games so stripping out the story, exploration and characters in favour of even more combat doesn't make much sense to me. They even stripped away the actual fun part of combat from BG2 - mage battles and metamagic.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
While I agree with you, lots of people didn't like the mage battles in BG2, which do get pretty ridiculous. Plus the encounters in IWD are well designed and make for some enjoyable combat. Also, please don't provoke more responses from JebanyPedal, tia.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
Looks like they'll be patching BG2EE tonight to fix memory leak and disappearing mobs on reload.

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

Karmalaa70 posted:

Looks like they'll be patching BG2EE tonight to fix memory leak and disappearing mobs on reload.

I can't "gently caress yes!" this enough.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

cheesetriangles posted:

Apparently Jaheria gets really mad if you kick her out late in her storyline. Sorry babe but I needed that ring of wizardry just not you.

Which is funny cause petrification also boots them out of the party... if I recall, I did a Flesh to Stone spell on her and she left in a huff. Gee thanks you frigid stoney bitch.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Karmalaa70 posted:

Link? Because I'm trying to figure out what to play now, and have been waiting on my BG run for news of that patch.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006

Rookersh posted:

Link? Because I'm trying to figure out what to play now, and have been waiting on my BG run for news of that patch.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/24852/bgii-ee-1-2-2030-11-20-2013#latest

Since I posted that they did change it to within the next 24 hours (initially it said tonight).

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Is the BG2 Tweakpack currently working with BG2EE? Because gently caress rolling for HP.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Captain Oblivious posted:

Is the BG2 Tweakpack currently working with BG2EE? Because gently caress rolling for HP.

You could set the in-game difficulty slider for that in BG1EE - did they drop that in 2? If so, that's a dick move with jam on top.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

JustJeff88 posted:

You could set the in-game difficulty slider for that in BG1EE - did they drop that in 2? If so, that's a dick move with jam on top.

Yeah it's just lowering the difficulty every time I level up is kind of a pain in the rear end. :effort:

And I'm not sure if you can do that in multiplayer.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Yes, the BG2 Tweakpack is compatible with BG2EE. Some of the EE features might be a little buggy though.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Ratios and Tendency posted:

combat from BG2 - mage battles and metamagic.
Insect ... swarm? We're talking about vanilla BG2 right?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

There were plenty of ways to deal with mages in BG2. With the right prep/equipment all but a handful of mage battles become trivial. Also having a paladin makes mages easy to kill, and having an inquisitor makes mages a joke.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
It's been years since I've played BG and I'm replaying it with BG:EE. Is there a mod that works with the enhanced edition that disables NPC party conflicts?

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Mustang posted:

It's been years since I've played BG and I'm replaying it with BG:EE. Is there a mod that works with the enhanced edition that disables NPC party conflicts?

I was going to suggest the BG2tweaks mod but since I installed it, I can't shape shift, looks like 1.2 BG:EE Patch may have broke it.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:
Since when did they take the Boots of Speed off Drizzt? And don't say he doesn't have them because he obviously moves at twice regular speed. I had to have my PC quaff an oil of speed just keep away from him while the gnolls/her arrows finished his rear end off.

EDIT:
Also what sense does it make that an Archer can't wear mithril chain mail +4 but can wear ankheg plate mail? Even a loving Thief can wear that chain.

Arcaeris fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 21, 2013

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Nice new thread!

I am just starting up a BGEE multiplayer game with a friend, kinda expect it to end with just me playing it out :P Should be fun while it lasts though haha.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

Max Wilco posted:

I've had that problem too. I think it is linked to the widescreen mod, but I'm not sure. I noticed that the widescreen mod has been updated to version 3.05, so maybe updating it will work?

So high Wisdom and and high Intelligence are interchangeable in regards to getting the best/most dialogue options, and focusing points into high wisdom works better if you want to play as a fighter. If so, is it easier to play as fighter?

They're not interchangeable at all; Most of the mage-specific dialogue options and a fair number of others require INT. There are also a lot that require WIS specifically, and a fair few that require CHA.

The early game is easier as a fighter, but the real reason things are hard going is that you don't have Dak'kon, who starts out as the best damage dealer and eventually grows up into being good at melee fighting, offensive spellcasting, and casting buffs all at once. You'll need high INT and WIS to utilize all his dialogue options.

I don't know that much about your crashing issue, but the game is perfectly good without mods, especially your first time through. Try disabling the widescreen mod first, because the fixpack adds a fair amount and the tweakpack can eliminate the need for savescumming on level-ups.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Don't worry too much about charisma, though. It's a bit less important than Wisdom and Intelligence to begin with, and more importantly, there are tons of ways to get "Friends" (a CHA-boosting spell) on you whenever you need it.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Arcaeris posted:

Also what sense does it make that an Archer can't wear mithril chain mail +4 but can wear ankheg plate mail? Even a loving Thief can wear that chain.

That's a discrepancy from porting the BG2 engine and its kits over to BG1 content since archers most definitely cannot wear ankheg plate forged by Cromwell in BG2.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

Arcaeris posted:

Since when did they take the Boots of Speed off Drizzt? And don't say he doesn't have them because he obviously moves at twice regular speed. I had to have my PC quaff an oil of speed just keep away from him while the gnolls/her arrows finished his rear end off.

EDIT:

Archers aren't specifically disallowed from wearing plate mail, they just aren't allowed to wear metal armor. Mithril is certainly metal, but the plates of an Ankheg aren't (although the description of Ankheg Plate Mail makes it sound like it is ordinary plate mail sheathed in ankheg chitin, but that wouldn't really explain the lighter weight). It's arguably a bug in BG2 that Archers are disallowed from wearing Red Dragon Scale and Blue Dragon Plate, although they can wear White Dragon Scale and Shadow Dragon Scale.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

They're not interchangeable at all; Most of the mage-specific dialogue options and a fair number of others require INT. There are also a lot that require WIS specifically, and a fair few that require CHA.

The early game is easier as a fighter, but the real reason things are hard going is that you don't have Dak'kon, who starts out as the best damage dealer and eventually grows up into being good at melee fighting, offensive spellcasting, and casting buffs all at once. You'll need high INT and WIS to utilize all his dialogue options.

I don't know that much about your crashing issue, but the game is perfectly good without mods, especially your first time through. Try disabling the widescreen mod first, because the fixpack adds a fair amount and the tweakpack can eliminate the need for savescumming on level-ups.
In that case, I'll stick to being a mage and recruit Dak'kon.

Since I was starting over, I decided to just reinstall the game along with all the mods. Something that might be worth noting is that the GOG installer changed, so instead of installing under the Program Files directory, the game now installs directly under the C drive (ex. C:\GOG Games\Planescape Torment). I also downloaded updated versions of the mods. Hopefully, that will fix the crashing, but if it doesn't, I'll remember what you said and try disabling the widescreen mod first to see if it's the cause.

The Crotch posted:

Don't worry too much about charisma, though. It's a bit less important than Wisdom and Intelligence to begin with, and more importantly, there are tons of ways to get "Friends" (a CHA-boosting spell) on you whenever you need it.
Is there a certain minimum I should have in Charisma? The suggested build in the OP says to have a Wisdom of 18, an Intelligence of 16, and a Charisma of 14. If Charisma doesn't need to be that high, where should I distribute the remaining points?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Haha found a most amusing tactic for the third basement level in Durlag's tower. Cast minor globe of invulnerability on your mage, rush into that room where there's a poo poo load of skeletons, then run all the way back as far as you can towards the stairs up to level 2. The skeleton archers will follow into the first room where there's a fireball trap which goes off every few seconds. They will get scorched while you will be fine thanks to your minor globe.

I guess you could do that with every monster in that zone actually though I haven't tried it.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Did they patch minor globe to protect against AoE, then? Because I specifically remember most of the mage buffs only protecting against directly targeted damage.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Basic Chunnel posted:

Did they patch minor globe to protect against AoE, then? Because I specifically remember most of the mage buffs only protecting against directly targeted damage.

As far as I know it's always protected against aoes. I remember in my previous run using minor globe + spamming mage aoes on myself and not being affected by them.

Did bgee have an issue with it or something? I don't remember it ever not working that way.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
It's other spell protections that don't protect against AoE since they're not targeted directly on the mage like a single target spell would be, but the globe spells have most definitely always made you immune to fireball and lightning and such.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
For people having issues with mages, the polymorph spell allows you to turn into a Mustard Jelly. Mustard Jelly has 100% magic resistance. Shapeshift, jelly over to the mage and go afk a couple minutes. Works really, really, really far into ToB as well. Just gotta be careful around stuff that slings imprison.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Has anyone tried the Rogue Rebalancing mod? If so, how balanced is it? I don't want to play with a ton of mods my first time through, but I figured pure thieves are so useless, something that makes them less useless would be nice to have (also I want to make Imoen a bard this time through, and they're also kind of poo poo unless they're Blades, at least until HLAs). But I'd rather go with an underpowered party than having Hexxat and Imoen blow up everything.

Also, the new scripts (I assume they're from the game since I only have the tweakpack and item randomizer mods installed) look like they'll be really useful. Finally some that aren't completely useless like the original scripts, or incredibly versatile but requiring ten times as much work and hotkey-pressing as Dragon Age.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

King Doom posted:

For people having issues with mages, the polymorph spell allows you to turn into a Mustard Jelly. Mustard Jelly has 100% magic resistance. Shapeshift, jelly over to the mage and go afk a couple minutes. Works really, really, really far into ToB as well. Just gotta be careful around stuff that slings imprison.

The Imp familiar Lawful Evil mages get is pretty drat ridiculous because of this. It has Polymorph from Level 1. I just started a solo wild mage run and that little fella makes every fight against a caster a joke.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Yeah it's just lowering the difficulty every time I level up is kind of a pain in the rear end. :effort:

And I'm not sure if you can do that in multiplayer.

That shouldn't be a huge problem in BG2.

The Manual posted:

Starting at level 10 (and 11 for rogues and wizards), characters no longer gain additional hit dice for hit points when they gain a level. Instead, warrior classes gain a flat +3 hit points per level, priests gain +2 hit points per level, and wizards gain +1 hit point per level. Constitution applies as normal.

Considering you start at lvl 9-10 you only roll for hit points once or twice depending on class. After that it's always the default amount.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

cheesetriangles posted:

Well I have 18 int and 18 wis. I left the game alone for 5 minutes and it never unmazed me. I think it bugged out.
I think that if the main character is mazed it's game over (even though the spell is temporary).

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Baron Bifford posted:

I think that if the main character is mazed it's game over (even though the spell is temporary).

Only if you're soloing. And it should give you the proper game over screen when that does happen.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I think it was true even if you had other members in your party. Has it changed in EE?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
No, being mazed ending the game has always been a solo only thing. It's imprisonment that ends the game even if you have party members able to free your PC.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I posted a thing on the official forums, but I'll post it here too. Need some help with un-loving the wild mage camp quest.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/25159/the-entire-wild-mage-hidden-camp-is-hostile-soa#latest

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Hey OP there is a significant issue with IWD2 (which might affect the earlier IE games, such as Planescape, as well). It's an issue involving very annoying stuttering and flickering and which is caused by the engine relying on something called DirectDraw, which is a deprecated DirectX function or some poo poo. Anyway there are two ways of fixing the issue. Last time I checked, people with Nvidia cards could make some custom driver profile which would force DirectDraw emulation for IWD2. I have an ATI card so I can't verify this. The second fix, which I use, involves using an application set released by Microsoft called the Application Compatibility Toolkit (or something like that). You can download this for free from Microsoft's support website. What you do is you open the 32 bit Compatibility Administrator, create a new database (name it IWD2 fix or something), select the IWD2 executable, under Compatibility Fixes you choose ForceDirectDrawEmulation, and then you save and install the database. That's all there is to it, you don't need any of the applications open when you run the games. As I mentioned earlier, you might need to install this for Planescape and IWD1 as well. I never had problems with BG or BG2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Karmalaa70 posted:

Are there any other significant issues with BG2EE?