Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Oh you bastard :argh:

No frigging way. Can I get a link to that page? Because that entry might be the most pathetic thing ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Sex terrifies and confuses many tropers.

No, no, no. You got it all wrong.

Sex in which the partner isn't an underage Japanese girl, a fictional character, an inanimate object (that includes socks and body pillows), or themselves confuses and terrifies them.

Penny Paper fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 21, 2013

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Testekill posted:

Oh you bastard :argh:

No frigging way. Can I get a link to that page? Because that entry might be the most pathetic thing ever.

Here you go.

Not only did someone think it was nightmare fuel, somebody thought it was so scary it needed it's own page.

Tiberius Thyben fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 21, 2013

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Christ, I thought was just something made up since it's sounds too pathetic even for tropers. Somebody created a nightmare fuel page for a console just to add this example.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Penny Paper posted:

No, no, no. You got it all wrong.

Sex in which the partner isn't an underage Japanese girl, a fictional character, an inanimate object (that includes socks and body pillows), or themselves confuses and terrifies them.

Ladies are scary and incomprehensible, sex is scary and incomprehensible, therefore a lesbian scene is a horrifying Lovecraftian nightmare that obviously doesn't belong in a movie. :colbert:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Testekill posted:

Christ, I thought was just something made up since it's sounds too pathetic even for tropers. Somebody created a nightmare fuel page for a console just to add this example.
I'm really disappointed that it's not the horrific electronic vomiting sound an original X-Box made when the disc came loose in the tray if you were dumb enough to try and run it on its side.

At least that would be understandable.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

vaguely posted:

If there's a more depressing anime-ism than the phrase 'Magical Girl No Civil War' I'm yet to see it.

These covers of No Woman No Cry are getting weird.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

AlbieQuirky posted:

Ladies are scary and incomprehensible, sex is scary and incomprehensible, therefore a lesbian scene is a horrifying Lovecraftian nightmare that obviously doesn't belong in a movie. :colbert:
No they're not. I have it from a reputable source.

Magical girl war posted:

To the surprise of a select few, they woke up the middle of the school yard. It seemed to be noon. Not a trace of yesterday's rain was present on the ground or sky. For that matter, not a trace of any of the other students could be found either. Normally a weekend afternoon would see hundreds of girls going about to eat, or stroll, or a number of other activities. Now, save for a few others, there was nobody in sight.

Girls mostly just eat and stroll. Nothing scary.

I'm actually surprised that there isn't a general gender trope. I would love to see them break down women into tropes. :)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Remember Troper Tales?

quote:

This troper's obsession with film noir and hardboiled crime fiction means there's usually a few noir archetypes present in his writings - be it a cynical trenchcoat-wearing detective, a seductive femme fatale, a shady underground villain, a VillainWithGoodPublicity, etc. etc.

quote:

This troper recently came in possession of a knee-length black fabric coat previously owned by his cousin, and has been wearing it a lot, despite the fact that the weather has been perfectly nice- it just looks badass with either his sunglasses (official replica of the ones Keanu Reeves wore in Film/Template:The matrix) or his black fedora with a hand rolled cigarette (the latter makes me feel like the detective in a film noir- so awesome).

quote:

This troper was once appointed as the director of a school drama about a certain historical event in the [=40s=]. I and most of my class didn't exactly like the "good guys" as the school staff wanted them to be depicted, so we went on to defile the source material with extreme prejudice (or in [[Template:Ptitleqxvqql7oro2v layman's term]], wreck the poo poo out of it). I told the "good guys" and the main "villains" (one of which I also played) to HamToHamCombat ham it up and the secondary "villains" and Template:Mooks to maximize DeadpanSnarker deadpan delivery of deliciously snarky lines. I inserted sex jokes, references to my favorite works and TakeThat subtle insults to multiple groups and individuals to the script and gave a weird film noir tone. The costumes, made from spare materials we found lying around, look like clothes from the time period, but they ImpossiblyTackyClothes didn't quite look right either. The "villains" are given cardboard replicas of period-appropriate weapons such as Lee-Enfield, Mauser Karabiner and Owen submachine gun, but the "heroes" got cardboard replicas of modern weapons such as FN SCAR-H, FN P90 and Steyr AUG. The whole thing ended up costing exactly $2.50 and feeling like an NarmCharm over-the-top police state propaganda, which is exactly what it would've been like had we done it the way the teachers wanted it. The school staff, not knowing that much about history, failed to notice the anachronism, but the production staff and the students had a magnificent time.

DoctorPresident
Jul 21, 2012

crowfeathers posted:

Remember Troper Tales?

yes!

Pardon My Klingon posted:

This she-Troper knows enough JamesCameronsAvatar Na'vi to probably come up with something horrible, and she is also picking up BrackenWood Sarus...

I Just Write the Thing posted:

This Troper firmly subscribes to The Characters Said So in all of her writing. In my opinion, I don't write stories and make up characters, I find the characters and tell their stories. If I don't choose the correct path for my writing to take, it halts completely. Enormous writer's block until I go back and fix what was made wrong in the first place.

:jerkbag:

Can't Hold His Liquor posted:

This troper may have taken this to the extreme. She doesn't need to drink at all, she just needs to be contained in the same room with an open bottle of liquor to get between tipsy and drunk. A couple of bad decisions (regarding cosplays) later, it is now prohibited to drink in my vicinity, unless I have some source of uncontaminated air. Strangely though, cooking alcohol has no effect on her, while a friend of hers is infamous for being smashed drunk upon contacting any food with evaporated alcohol...

ahahaha, gently caress special snowflakes.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

This never gets old.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

DoctorPresident posted:

ahahaha, gently caress special snowflakes.

A classic attempt to impress nerds who think "those drat dirty jocks drink alcohol so therefore that is wrong and bad" however they failed since it's completely physically impossible for that to happen.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

This never gets old.

Did we ever find out who Joseph Stubbs was? Our little inhuman dude sounds so pleased with himself for showing him up.

Inspector Zenigata
Jul 19, 2010

---

Inspector Zenigata fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 2, 2014

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I hope you're ready for a nightmare.

quote:

Alright, so this has happened to me many times. Last year, I was coming home from the Deer Park Tanger Outlets Christmas Tree event, and I saw a ten year old watching The Backyardigans in his car...with his younger sister! At school, the kids in my Spanish class like watching Garfield and Friends (mostly from the U.S. Acres segments), My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, SpongeBob SquarePants, Phineas and Ferb, Adventure Time, Animaniacs, Camp Lazlo and Wreck It Ralph. They often recite quotes from these shows, with the most common one being a play on a line from the U.S. Acres segment "Wade, You're Afraid". The line in question is "If he lays an egg, I'm outta here!, and they replace "he" with someone's name. Once, they put my name into the joke, because I often try to make U.S. Acres jokes to see if they get them (since it's my current obsession), and they recognized them only 5 times. Once, I yelled "The bunny rabbits is coming!" and one kid said "That's from U.S. Acres!". Another time, I said "This got so out of hand that I've decided to punish you!", and another kid said "That's from U.S. Acres!" yet again. Then, I said "The bunny rabbits is coming!" again and the kid who sits next to a boy who likes me said "There are no bunny rabbits, Wade!". When my sister tried to sing the U.S. Acres song "Banana Nose", she sang "Yo..." and a kid started singing the rest of the song. And finally, when ducks flew by our classroom, a kid made a fart noise and asked if birds can fart. I asked him "Have you ever watched Happy Garfield Day?" and he said "No, I haven't!", which is strange for a kid who has seen Temp Trouble and says demerit jokes. Also, one kid in this class has the nickname "Orse", which Roy uses as a nickname for Orson in some episodes. They also like singing that song from "Wanted: Wade" about following the rules, and a kid here got injured imitating the rake scene. As for the Animaniacs joke, one kid mentioned "Potty Emergency" and another recited a line from "The Kid In The Lid", which was "All we could do was watch, watch, watch, 'till I spilled lots of soda, all over my crotch". For SpongeBob, similar to the "Orson" and "Lazlo" nicknames, people will call the kids names of SpongeBob characters. For example, after someone got a correct answer when going over a worksheet, one kid said "Good job, Squidward!", or they act like the 5-year olds who want items with SpongeBob on them. For Phineas and Ferb, they used the phrase "Ferbflip", which I've never heard used in the show, as I've only seen a few episodes, even though I think it's good, due to not having enough time on my hands. For Camp Lazlo, a kid in my class named Larry is nicknamed "Lazlo". For Wreck It Ralph, they often mention Hero's Duty, and for Adventure Time and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, a few kids wear the T-shirts of those shows to class, and once, a kid told someone to not act like Fluttershy. Once in class, we did a worksheet on how to make sentences tell what people have to do by using the possessive verb and "que". One sentence had the name "Dora" in it. If you guessed that the kids made Dora The Explorer jokes next, you're correct. And another time, a kid named James noticed my Smile Pretty Cure pencil case and called me "Yayoi" due to that, because of a news article on Crunchyroll about Pretty Cure being popular on Twitter due to that character, and possibly because he might watch either Naruto, Gintama or One Piece on that website. Besides that, they also watch Teletoon Retro (even though I live in the USA, and we have Shaw Direct and Bell TV here, which I found out about looking up TV listings for Crash and Bernstien to see upcoming episodes. Once, in algebra class, my friend John wore a Doctor Whooves shirt. A girl named Caroline asked "Isn't that from My Little Pony? You're a pervert!", and John asked her "Haven't you heard of bronies?" multiple times, leading her to make jokes that went "Remember (name here)? He/she's a pervert!" One of these jokes mentioned Herbert The Pervert from Family Guy. Also, Wreck It Ralph is often mentioned by the kids in the hallway at my high school. My mom doesn't do this with shows I watch themselves (except for Popples, which I stopped watching once I got re-addicted into Garfield and Friends, since that show is babyish), but she does have a problem with merchandise from those shows. It all started when I was on Hobby Link Japan, looking for the Cure Module from Suite Pretty Cure, and I saw that it was sold out. I found a Tamagotchi Melody Charm on there due to that, and my mom allowed me to buy it because it was similar. Well, what a mistake that was. On my birthday weekend, I was trying to make it play the Lovelitchi character song "Ever Lovely", and it starts playing "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star", and my mom says "What nice baby music you're playing!" and boy was I embarrassed! She's been strict ever since that incident, but rarely does she allow me to buy magical girl stuff. My last one would be a Yes! Pretty Cure 5 Dream Torch, since she wants me to grow up. On New Year's Eve one year when I was in sixth grade, I was bored and was trying to find something interesting on TV. South Park was the only thing on. The episode I saw was about one of the kids (I think Kyle) going into heaven after being addicted to a video game. I also once watched an episode of The Simpsons at the same age about a show about a princess, and it had Krusty the Clown in it (but my brother was watching it). I don't remember much from the last two, anyway. One time, my cousin wanted to watch Total Drama Island and one of my cousins said "We're going to call your parents if you watch Total Drama Island!", and then what does he watch instead? Nickelodeon. Also, my mom has come into the room and saw me watching cartoons. One time, I was watching the U.S. Acres segment "Temp Trouble" and my mom came in to put clothes away during the scene where Roy Rooster and Wade Duck sing under a tree. Well, the volume on the computer was at 50% (but headphones were in the computer), making her able to hear the whole scene about Aloysius Pig's mom (in case anyone doesn't know that scene, it's the one where she punishes Aloysius by having him clean his room). My mom left at the end of the episode when Wade points at Orson's luggage and gives him demerits for putting funny stickers on it. A couple of times, my dad has walked into the room when we watch Crash and Bernstien (even though it's a live action show, I put it there because it's about a puppet). A couple of times, while waiting for Liberty's Kids or Horseland to start, my parents have walked into the room and asked what we were watching. One time (recently), I said "Garfield and Friends", because me and my sister were watching the U.S. Acres segment "A Little Time Off", during the scene where they are on a spaceship and the characters tell about how they feel about the voyage. We shut off the TV playing CBS, thinking to turn it back on during Liberty's Kids (but I forgot about it!). One time, my brother (who was 14 at the time of this incident) walked into the room during an episode of qubo on NBC's "3-2-1 Penguins and LarryBoy Stories" during the episode "The Good, The Bad, And The Eggly", just as the scene where flying robotic pigs cover the town in eggs. Cue my brother leaving disgusted. Also as a kid, in fourth grade I watched a ton of little kids shows like PBS Kids stuff, Noggin, Peep and the Big Wide World (because it looked like Tamagotchi), SeeMore's Playhouse... the list goes on and on. Also, I watched Maryoku Yummy without realizing it was a little kids show just because they sold the merchandise of it at Justice (I have every single one of the plush dolls they sold there), a store for pre-teens. Even though I didn't cry at the sad Pixar movies like Toy Story 3 and Up, there was a moment at one of those films that was a mix of this trope and What Do You Mean, It's Not For Kids?. When I went to see Brave, the whole theater (except for us) was made up of families with toddlers. When the mother turns into a bear and is on the rampage at the castle, everyone except me and my sister left the theater because it was too scary! It reminded me of the Forbidden Broadway Song "You Gotta Get A Puppet" and the "Uncle F***er" scene in "South Park: Bigger Longer and Uncut", where it said or showed that people left because of disturbing things. Also, when I went to a showing of The Smurfs at a local Clearview Cinemas theater, a preschool summer camp group left the theater and didn't return due to a scene where Gargamel was put in jail, which I didn't find scary. Or maybe there was a long line for the bathroom due to some other movie showing at the same time. Who knows? Also, when I went to see Big Miracle, a kid kept yelling "Eew!" during the whole trailer for Paranorman, starting with the visual of the dancing toilet (or at least that's what I had seen it as). Speaking of which, I thought Paranorman and Frankenweenie (which some people say are scary for kids) were tame. Once, my class watched "Casper" and the teacher had to stop the tape because one of the three evil brothers in the movie said a swear word. I also watched the Komiket episode of Lucky Star when I was eight. In my 8th grade Home and Careers class, when I told my cooking group I liked Pretty Cure, one of the boys said that they watch that show, possibly the Futari Wa series. At school on December 5, 2012, as I was getting out my binders for my morning classes, a girl told a story about how she wanted an American Dad action figure for Christmas this year, and her parents said no. The reason? "Cartoons and toys are for kids!". Then she told who she was telling the story to that she explained to them that it was an adult show, possibly because they might have thought that American Dad was Family Guy for kids without even watching the show! The same kid also was a fan of Garfield and Friends, as they acted out "Kiddie Korner" in the hallway. On December 7, 2012, a boy listened to a rock remix of the SpongeBob SquarePants theme out loud on his iPod. This wasn't helped by the fact that he was autistic. I also watch Danger Rangers, and it's good because it doesn't talk down to little kids. When my sister said she wanted to see the Friendship is Magic Equestria Girls film, my mom said "My Little Pony? Aren't you too old for that?". My parents also HATE it when Jack Hanna's Wild Countdown, Poppy Cat or The Chicka Show comes on in the middle of a newscast for the sole purpose of "entertaining the kiddies". I'm sure that shows like Disney's Dog With A Blog, Nickelodeon's Sanjay and Craig, and the Inspector Gadget and The Country Mouse And City Mouse Adventures repeats on ThisTV get higher ratings than these shows! But on June 1, 2013, the situation was different-my mom turned on the TV and what did she see? STUPID SPONGEBOB RE-RUNS ON NICKELODEON! This was during an ad break showing some sneaker commercial. I don't watch Nick, so my guess is that maybe my dad watched it late last night for Everybody Loves Raymond. And finally, my dad saw a 5-year old with her dad watching Clannad on the train, because that person thought that All Rated PG Shows And Movies Are For Kids.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

crowfeathers posted:

I made it six sentences in. Summarize it for me.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Testekill posted:

Nah, that was my point. Tropers have a rather extensive page for MLP nightmare fuel and it's indicative of just how low their capacity for scary stuff is. Certain things should have nightmare fuel pages. Stuff like XCOM and Binding of Isaac deserve their pages because they can create genuine tension or contain hosed up poo poo.

I don't believe anyone contributing to those pages actually thinks MLP is in any way scary. Rather, I think it's just bronies trying to pass the show off as more grown-up or adult than it really is. See also the description of John De Lancie's character (who really is just Q from what I can tell) as a DARKER AND EDGIER BRUTAL MIND-RAPIST who BRUTALLY SUBVERTS the expectations of the show (WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT'S FOR KIDS?! LOOK HOW ADULT AND MATURE IT IS!).

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

crowfeathers posted:

So this guy is a teacher or a student or what? The fact that there is so much carrying on about childrens shows like Backyardigans and Dora makes it incredibly creepy.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Testekill posted:

So this guy is a teacher or a student or what? The fact that there is so much carrying on about childrens shows like Backyardigans and Dora makes it incredibly creepy.

I think he's a high school student, which doesn't really make it any less creepy.

Inspector Zenigata
Jul 19, 2010

---

Inspector Zenigata fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 2, 2014

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Metal Loaf posted:

I don't believe anyone contributing to those pages actually thinks MLP is in any way scary. Rather, I think it's just bronies trying to pass the show off as more grown-up or adult than it really is. See also the description of John De Lancie's character (who really is just Q from what I can tell) as a DARKER AND EDGIER BRUTAL MIND-RAPIST who BRUTALLY SUBVERTS the expectations of the show (WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT'S FOR KIDS?! LOOK HOW ADULT AND MATURE IT IS!).

It's not even that, really. The most basic principle is that tropers will say anything about a show if it means they can write some more :words: about it. If the trope doesn't fit, you just stretch the definition wider and wider until it does! This is why the most popular trope pages, like Nightmare Fuel and Flanderization, have become so diluted as to be utterly meaningless.

nuts_rice
Sep 6, 2010

Ohhh Yog Soggoth, be my teenage dream boat ;)

Sailor Viy posted:

It's not even that, really. The most basic principle is that tropers will say anything about a show if it means they can write some more :words: about it. If the trope doesn't fit, you just stretch the definition wider and wider until it does! This is why the most popular trope pages, like Nightmare Fuel and Flanderization, have become so diluted as to be utterly meaningless.

It's as if they're Deconstructing (Oooo, look, I used a trope, gimme writer points) their view of tropes being such powerful tools in media. "I think this aspect of culture is so important, I'll write how this child's show and dating sim portray it so clearly".

The definition becomes so meaningless, but tropers lack the awareness of how idiotic their favorite shows are.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

Sailor Viy posted:

Clearly this is all a masterful Deconstruction of Flanderization itself. :colbert:

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Here you go.

Not only did someone think it was nightmare fuel, somebody thought it was so scary it needed it's own page.

Haha what the gently caress, the ps2 red screen has the chillest soundtrack. Definitely pants-making GBS threads material.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Even better is the fact that they have a Nightmare Fuel page for Film/TV vanity plates.

There were people scared of the "Feature Presentation" title cards from 90s Disney video cassettes?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Kuroyama posted:

Even better is the fact that they have a Nightmare Fuel page for Film/TV vanity plates.

There were people scared of the "Feature Presentation" title cards from 90s Disney video cassettes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOyEyLiQ0dk

Ain't it terrifying? Still this has to be them just listing stuff to look cool.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Kuroyama posted:

Nah man, you don't understand. Look at this loving egg with its satan horns and devil teeth.

And this poo poo right here is so scary and horrifying and discordant! You just don't know, it terrified all the mega drive owners everywhere! I'm not a huge baby!

Man, this page is long as hell. They are really terrified of being told what things are or who made things.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

TGLT posted:

Nah man, you don't understand. Look at this loving egg with its satan horns and devil teeth.

And this poo poo right here is so scary and horrifying and discordant! You just don't know, it terrified all the mega drive owners everywhere! I'm not a huge baby!

Man, this page is long as hell. They are really terrified of being told what things are or who made things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq0gwpYYX3I
:pcgaming: DEMON LASER MICKEY MOUSE :pcgaming:

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

TGLT posted:

They are really terrified of being told what things are or who made things.

Kinda befitting, since Tropers prefer illusion to despair. However, I do agree that the Growing Pains(?) vanity plate with the guy falling off the roof of his house was scary to me...when I was seven. These days, to me, it's a nice blend of "What the hell?", "Who thought that was a good idea for a vanity plate," and "Heh, it's kind of funny."

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
99% of the "nightmare fuel" pages are things that might freak out a small child, but are written by grown rear end men (let's not kid ourselves about TVT demographics here), often for shows that were not around when they were actually children, so they don't even have the "this totally used to freak me out when I was five" defense.

Sure when I was like 8 I got freaked out by dumb things, like the ending of Roald Dahl's "the twits" or a particular episode of "Round the Twist" or what have you, but I wouldn't write long internet articules about how scary they are, and I especially wouldn't do that for things that I think MIGHT have freaked out kid-me even though they didn't exist until I was 25.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Fatkraken posted:

99% of the "nightmare fuel" pages are things that might freak out a small child, but are written by grown rear end men (let's not kid ourselves about TVT demographics here), often for shows that were not around when they were actually children, so they don't even have the "this totally used to freak me out when I was five" defense.

I could be misremembering, but I think that was originally the point of the pages? "Nightmare Fuel" itself was a term they used to use for stuff in children's shows and whatnot that would probably freak the target audience the hell out. Doesn't excuse them calling literally everything Nightmare Fuel, but still.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

quote:

his black fedora with a hand rolled cigarette (the latter makes me feel like the detective in a film noir- so awesome).

Someone call the anti-smoking lobbyists. We finally found someone that can make cigarettes actively uncool.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WebAnimation/TurnaboutStorm

Oh what the gently caress.

quote:

Turnabout Storm is a fan crossover between Ace Attorney and My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic by NeoArtimus; uploaded to PWaaMLPfim. This fan work, instead of using a written format as it was first conceived as, shows itself as a movie using the Visual Novel style the Ace Attorney series is known for, with the addition of voice acting for all characters.

Rainbow Dash, best flier in Ponyville, is accused of murdering the Pegasus Ace Swift, the favorite to win an upcoming race called the Equestrian 500 that Dash is also set to compete in. Now that she faces punishment for what would be the first murder in a long time during Celestia's reign, one of her best friends, Twilight Sparkle, sets out to find a lawyer to represent her. After all of her attempts to find one end fruitless, she makes one last try by casting a spell to summon the greatest defense attorney in Equestria, but she accidentally calls for the greatest defense attorney period, and said attorney turns out to be a confused and non-equine Phoenix Wright — At least, that's what Twilight claims to be the reason how Wright ended up there.

Now Phoenix finds himself stuck in a strange world, one where candy colored talking hors... err... ponies are the norm of the day, and the creatures of myths are just some other species — Yet one where justice still must be served, where the innocent can still be punished, and where they still need the light of someone who trusts and believes in them, someone ready to do whatever it takes to save them.

Thus starts Phoenix's journey to adjust to this new world, and search for the truth behind this strange new mystery he's been wrapped up in. Trailer here. Series here. note Please be warned that all the parts are very long, clocking in at around 9 hours of content. Beware of an Archive Binge.

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!

Flesnolk posted:

I could be misremembering, but I think that was originally the point of the pages? "Nightmare Fuel" itself was a term they used to use for stuff in children's shows and whatnot that would probably freak the target audience the hell out. Doesn't excuse them calling literally everything Nightmare Fuel, but still.

They used to have an offshoot called High Octane Nightmare Fuel that was designated specifically for stuff that was scary in media not aimed at children, but after a while they merged them because at that point all the examples for poo poo they were scared of were getting redundant.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Razorwired posted:

Someone call the anti-smoking lobbyists. We finally found someone that can make cigarettes actively uncool.

Scene, a dark alley. Light jazz hangs in the background.

A large man leans against the wall. We see him light a smoke.

Camera cuts to his feet, beginning a slow pan upwards. Desite the low-key lighting we see still see the crisp detail of the horrors to come. The moth-bitten thrift store trenchcoat. The rolls of fat barely restrained by the trenchcoat's belts. The outline of an inhaler stuffed in his pocket. The shoulder-length hair, curled and knotted. The cigarette, smoke backlit, as it hangs above his double chin. The bright slick of grease on his forehead, partially shadowed by the fedora.

Voiceover: In his mind, he is the hero. To everyone else, he is the gorilla.

Text: Still think smoking is cool?

Ad Foundation logo appears in the bottom corner. Scene fades to black, commercial cuts a second later.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Honestly it'd be even more effective if they played it straight -- horrible callow youth in his matrix glasses smokes a cigarette; BUY MARLBOROS!

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Eh, lovely fanfic crossovers are a dime a dozen. I mean, just look at this loving list.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

DaveWoo posted:

Eh, lovely fanfic crossovers are a dime a dozen.

It's not so much that it's a lovely fanfic crossover and more that it's a fanfic crossover that's 9 hours in length.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Well, that and it's yet more brony poo poo on an internet where brony poo poo is shoehorned into literally everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
I'm not surprised, since these are the same people that saw a male pony with an hourglass stamp and then made a metric fuckton of Doctor Who crossovers.

• Locked thread