Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

hotsauce posted:

Is the Moto X on Republic Wireless a completely terrible idea? I ordered one fully expecting to return it within 30 days. Just want to try it out as I may be able to live with the cheap plan since I have my work paid for Verizon iPad with me at all times. Free LTE and hotspot may equal an epic cost savings as it's essentially Verizon coverage for the price of a hamburger/month.

Even though I live in a bad area for Sprint data coverage, it really depends on what you need for data while you're outside of WiFi. I believe their voice and messaging coverage is sufficient to most people, but data coverage and speeds are the reasons why Sprint is bad. I went with the $10/month plan and honestly for that price I can forgive quite a bit. I don't need data when I'm out and about and 90% of my time is spent on WiFi anyways so my usage on their network will be next to minimal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

hotsauce posted:

Is the Moto X on Republic Wireless a completely terrible idea? I ordered one fully expecting to return it within 30 days. Just want to try it out as I may be able to live with the cheap plan since I have my work paid for Verizon iPad with me at all times. Free LTE and hotspot may equal an epic cost savings as it's essentially Verizon Sprint coverage for the price of a hamburger/month.

FTFY.

Sprint is goddamn horrible. I'm in a supposed Network Vision area, and it still sucks. I wouldn't recommend them or any MVNO piggybacking on them, personally.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Ok, so I have the $30/month 100 minutes/5GB data T-Mobile plan on my Nexus 5. What's the consensus for VoIP apps to make calls over wifi/cellular data so that I can avoid going over the 100 minutes? (or should I post this in the Android apps thread?)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Google Voice coupled with GrooveIP or Vonage.

Or pay the $0.10/minute if you're only going over a little bit.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Cicero posted:

Ok, so I have the $30/month 100 minutes/5GB data T-Mobile plan on my Nexus 5. What's the consensus for VoIP apps to make calls over wifi/cellular data so that I can avoid going over the 100 minutes? (or should I post this in the Android apps thread?)

Vonage works well with wifi from what I've experienced.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

savesthedayrocks posted:

Vonage works well with wifi from what I've experienced.

It does indeed. Also on higher-speed networks, actually.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Uthor posted:

Google Voice coupled with GrooveIP or Vonage.

Or pay the $0.10/minute if you're only going over a little bit.

GrooveIP is dead come next May: http://www.androidheadlines.com/2013/11/your-third-party-google-voice-apps-will-stop-working-may-2014.html

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

BoyBlunder posted:

GrooveIP is dead come next May: http://www.androidheadlines.com/2013/11/your-third-party-google-voice-apps-will-stop-working-may-2014.html

That's too bad, I assume that means they are killing using OBi devices through google voice too?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Stick100 posted:

That's too bad, I assume that means they are killing using OBi devices through google voice too?

Probably. Google is abandoning GoogleTalk over XMPP for their own in-house Hangouts chat protocol. If you've already switched to Hangouts in Gmail web browser, those third party Talk/Voice calling programs should have stopped working.

wildmamboqueen
May 31, 2001

mad about the mage
The Great Twist
Whew, ok, does anyone have any good advice for me? I'm going on a quite a long road trip to the US on Tuesday and bringing along an existing phone. I figured I'd pick up a SIM card with one of the carriers once I cross the boarder (I'm in Canada), and I'm wondering which carrier to go with. Obviously, this can't be on a contract.

I've got an older HTC android model: it's GSM850, GSM900, GSM1800, GSM1900, UMTS1700, UMTS2100
CSD, GPRS, EDGE, UMTS, HSDPA, HSUPA, HSPA+. I want a lot of data, and obviously *data roaming* (and coverage). Talk minutes don't really matter.

I want to also be able to tether my laptop when I can't find a wi-fi hotspot. Would I just able to blue-tooth the connection without getting dinged by the carriers? I didn't even know that was a thing in the US.

I was looking at the T-Mobile $30 Unlimited Web & Text, and the Virgin $35 Beyond Talk, but I can't seem to find any prices to add-on if I want to tether. Wasn't there a really good deal from Verison from Walmart a month ago?

Is it worth it to hold off until Black Friday?

Thanks in advance, parsing all this data is starting to overwhelm me.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Anything from Verizon, Sprint, and Virgin won't work with your GSM phone.

To get 3G with your phone (UMTS 1700/2100), you'll need T-Mobile or a prepaid carrier than runs on their network. The $30 5GB plans should let you tether for free if you set a mobile browser User Agent in your computer's browser. If they detect tethering, you'll be redirected to a paywall and should have the option of paying $15 to tether.

Double check that your phone doesn't support UMTS 850 and 1900. That'll allow you to use an AT&T network prepaid. Their larger coverage area may benefit you on a road trip.

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 18, 2013

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

goku chewbacca posted:

Probably. Google is abandoning GoogleTalk over XMPP for their own in-house Hangouts chat protocol. If you've already switched to Hangouts in Gmail web browser, those third party Talk/Voice calling programs should have stopped working.

Google needs to buy Obi and release it's own branded box. "Google Voice @ Home" or something. It's magical. I have my Obi turn on automatically on the weekends (via the GV settings) and use a 4-handset cordless system throughout my house to place/receive calls.

I really hope when google cuts XMPP, they have some other direct Obi-like solution. It's just amazing to not have to keep your cellphone right beside you and place/receive calls using a real cordless phone. Hell, I'd even pay for a monthly fee it's that great.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I've been using hangouts with my girlfriend. It seems to work pretty good for SMS stuff. However it isn't perfect. It seems that if my g/f sends me a pic to my google voice number just with normal iphone messaing, it doesn't seem to get into hangouts even if it's my messaging app. But if she uses her hangout app, it works fine.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

So I'm reaching a point where I'm running over on minutes every month with the $30/month plan on TMo. I get really good LTE speeds (for TMo) in my area - 19-25 Mbps down, and 7-10 Mbps up on my N5. As such, I was just going to go to the $50/month plan with unlimited talk and text, but only having 500mb of LTE kind of makes the high speeds useless.

What would be my best bet to get more talk minutes? I get 15% off of anything I can purchase in a Target store - Net10, GoPhone, and Tmobile. I don't mind using a VoIP solution if I won't have to change everything up again in 6 months - I use GV forwarded to a throw-away number. I use about ~1.5gigs a month, most of which comes from streaming Google Music.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
You could get the $60/month plan which is 2.5GB. If you are at home when you call most of the time you can use call from GMail which uses your GVoice number. You could also buy an Ooma or ObiHai (uses GVoice). However, the ObiHai might not work after May 14th.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

TLG James posted:

I've been using hangouts with my girlfriend. It seems to work pretty good for SMS stuff. However it isn't perfect. It seems that if my g/f sends me a pic to my google voice number just with normal iphone messaing, it doesn't seem to get into hangouts even if it's my messaging app. But if she uses her hangout app, it works fine.
GVoice doesn't support MMS (picture messaging). As you said, it'll work fine over hangouts. Why is she flipping between SMS and hangouts in the first place. Use hangouts only, it'll keep the conversation coherent.

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.
I'm switching to AIO from the $30 month T-Mo plan because being on EDGE all the time really sucks. Is there anything about AIO specifically that I should be worried about? Not being able to use SMS Short codes doesn't really bother me, but from what I could tell,it otherwise seems good.

I'll be using a N5 if that matters much.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Dradien posted:

I'm switching to AIO from the $30 month T-Mo plan because being on EDGE all the time really sucks. Is there anything about AIO specifically that I should be worried about? Not being able to use SMS Short codes doesn't really bother me, but from what I could tell,it otherwise seems good.

I'll be using a N5 if that matters much.

Very happy with Aio here still on the $55/month plan. No downsides that I've noticed so far. Even tether occasionally on my HTC One and haven't had any issues.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

gariig posted:

You could get the $60/month plan which is 2.5GB. If you are at home when you call most of the time you can use call from GMail which uses your GVoice number. You could also buy an Ooma or ObiHai (uses GVoice). However, the ObiHai might not work after May 14th.

I there is a $70/mo all unlimited (talk, text, high speed data) plan too. If you're ok going from 30-50 maybe going to 70 is an option.

Also when you go over you're 500mb you still get data and it might be fast enough for you.

Mochiloc
Dec 30, 2001
I've read some posts in here saying that Straight Talk no longer sells AT&T SIMs, but you can still buy them off of the website - is anyone using AT&T ST or am I mistaken in thinking it's an option?

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
You can get AT&T StraightTalk sims at Walmart and online now, I'm using one.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Mochiloc posted:

I've read some posts in here saying that Straight Talk no longer sells AT&T SIMs, but you can still buy them off of the website - is anyone using AT&T ST or am I mistaken in thinking it's an option?
They were gone for a while, but are now back.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

ilkhan posted:

They were gone for a while, but are now back.

They even have LTE now too. Works great with the N5

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SB35 posted:

They even have LTE now too. Works great with the N5

Does ST engage in the same awful 'refresh 20 times until the webpage loads' QoS fuckery as Net10?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

The Entire Universe posted:

Does ST engage in the same awful 'refresh 20 times until the webpage loads' QoS fuckery as Net10?

My girlfriend had this issue a couple months ago, but since then she hasn't complained about it. I only switched over to an at&t sim a couple weeks ago when I got the N5 and haven't experienced that problem yet.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Is there any way to find your Virgin Mobile account number without calling them and going through the hassle of fighting their script to keep people from switching carriers? I just do automatic payment and dont' get a paper bill.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

feedmyleg posted:

Is there any way to find your Virgin Mobile account number without calling them and going through the hassle of fighting their script to keep people from switching carriers? I just do automatic payment and dont' get a paper bill.

Mine is my 10 digit cell phone number. It was funny when to change my number they cancelled my old account and made a new one without bringing over the paid time I still had on the account. Funny all the way to Richard Branson's bank.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Rexxed posted:

Mine is my 10 digit cell phone number. It was funny when to change my number they cancelled my old account and made a new one without bringing over the paid time I still had on the account. Funny all the way to Richard Branson's bank.

That's what I tried, but unfortunately I got a call from Straight Talk saying it didn't work. I'll probably just have to bite the bullet and be on hold wit hthem for a couple of hours tomorrow while they shift me from manager to manager.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Ah, I love getting collection calls from my Aio number.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

IuniusBrutus posted:

So I'm reaching a point where I'm running over on minutes every month with the $30/month plan on TMo. I get really good LTE speeds (for TMo) in my area - 19-25 Mbps down, and 7-10 Mbps up on my N5. As such, I was just going to go to the $50/month plan with unlimited talk and text, but only having 500mb of LTE kind of makes the high speeds useless.

What would be my best bet to get more talk minutes? I get 15% off of anything I can purchase in a Target store - Net10, GoPhone, and Tmobile. I don't mind using a VoIP solution if I won't have to change everything up again in 6 months - I use GV forwarded to a throw-away number. I use about ~1.5gigs a month, most of which comes from streaming Google Music.

How many minutes are you going over? If it's under 200 you're at breakeven and can keep your old plan.

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord

IuniusBrutus posted:

Not sure what the consensus is yet, but there is Target's Brightspot service, which runs on T-Mobile. Pretty sure you can use any GSM phone with it, too.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TLG James posted:

Ah, I love getting collection calls from my Aio number.

I just take those numbers and add them to a contact that routes the calls directly to VM. I'm not sure if setting up with GV forwards the calls as they come in, or if it forwards them if I don't pick up after x number of rings. If the former, you can just block them in GV.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

PrivateEyeball posted:

Not sure what the consensus is yet, but there is Target's Brightspot service, which runs on T-Mobile. Pretty sure you can use any GSM phone with it, too.

The $50 plan might be worth it if you need a little more data than T-Mobile's $50 500MB plan. However, when you hit $65 for 4GB I feel you should just do the $70 unlimited plan. Brightspot also has no voice/SMS roaming in the US. So once you leave T-Mobile's coverage your stuck with emergency calls only. I also doubt you get get to use your data to hotspot where T-Mobile will let you.

EDIT: There's the $25 credit every 6 months which is kind of cool but you are looking at saving $4/month which really isn't much of a savings. Maybe if you can get the refills cheaper at a third party vendor the savings would start to add up.

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord
I got my Nexus 5 and T-Mo SIM. Decided to transfer my number from Verizon. Site said it would take up to 24 hours to complete, so I assume I'm stuck waiting until then? Does it usually take close to the full 24 hours?

Mochiloc
Dec 30, 2001
Every time I've ported a number in the past the longest I've had to wait is like 2 hours. Get on the horn with T-Mobile support and tell them you initiated the port and they will usually push it through

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Or they'll tell you they took down the wrong number that they needed, the port failed, and they never bothered to contact you to get it fixed.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

PrivateEyeball posted:

I got my Nexus 5 and T-Mo SIM. Decided to transfer my number from Verizon. Site said it would take up to 24 hours to complete, so I assume I'm stuck waiting until then? Does it usually take close to the full 24 hours?

You may need to wait until business hours. I had the same experience but then by like 830am it was good to go.

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord

SB35 posted:

You may need to wait until business hours. I had the same experience but then by like 830am it was good to go.

I did it around 2:00pm pacific time, which made me think it may have been a bit late in the day.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

PrivateEyeball posted:

I did it around 2:00pm pacific time, which made me think it may have been a bit late in the day.

Well, it might take up to 24 hours, so I guess you get to carry two phones around today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I just got a Moto X. I didn't know it came with a nano sim, so I bought a sim cutter. Can I register this new sim with my existing TMobile prepaid account? Or should I just cut the old one down to fit?

• Locked thread