Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

StealthArcher posted:

Also in relation, yes Doug, yes we do.

Hey JO or Lupa, send these little ballbusters his way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwCyVku1HvI

Heheheheh.
Oh man, I remember that first commercial.

Sure wish I didn't. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Oancitizen has a new video tackling a Malian film by the name of Yeelen.

http://blip.tv/brows-held-high/brows-held-high-yeelen-6692459

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Maremidon posted:

Oancitizen has a new video tackling a Malian film by the name of Yeelen.

http://blip.tv/brows-held-high/brows-held-high-yeelen-6692459

You should all definitely read that article he mentions, "Shakespeare in the Bush". They make great suggestions for how to improve Hamlet.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

poparena posted:

I finally got another one of those Animorph reviews out, this time for #35 The Proposal, the one where Marco keeps mixing bits of animals together and an alien invasion plot dependant on the success of UPN.

I really like the background information you give on just how (not) true to life the book's story was. I always thought this book was silly and out of step with the rest of the series, but your recap really puts things into perspective.

You do have to wonder how the reprint editors would have dealt with the references if they had gotten this far. I guess they could replace references to UPN with "a succesful television network," but what could they have possibly done with the Hanson scene? "That screaming sounds like that singer from a famous band." "No, I think it's a different member of that famous band."

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYqYLfm1rWA

She's baaaack.

Actually, I didn't really have any problems with this one. Many of the examples were ones I'd personally noted and the problem she's pointing out has always been a bugaboo of mine.

Well, there's nothing in it that the Nostalgia Chick hasn't covered to some extent in her own Smurfette Principle video, but Sarkeesian's always been open about being a fan of hers and they're apparently friends, so it's not surprising.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah, that one is better than her previous efforts I think. She definitely put some more research and took more time on it.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

The waaaaaaahmbulance is going to be getting a lot of overtime soon with all the stupid angry nerds coming out the woodworks again.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Doctor Reynolds posted:

The waaaaaaahmbulance is going to be getting a lot of overtime soon with all the stupid angry nerds coming out the woodworks again.

She allowed ratings on this video, and reported that there were over 100 dislikes before it was possible to have finished watch the video. I, for one, am shocked!

On the other hand, someone came up with this great example of how you could change the gender signifiers and come up with Pac-Woman and Mr. Pac-Woman. I have to say, Mr. Pac-Woman looks quite dapper indeed!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

OrangeKing posted:

She allowed ratings on this video, and reported that there were over 100 dislikes before it was possible to have finished watch the video. I, for one, am shocked!

I'd be careful taking everything she says as fact, mind (gaining attention is important to her series.) Not that I doubt it could have happened.

EDIT: \/ That's a little much. She's been somewhat deceptive before for marketing purposes, that's all which calls this somewhat into question. There's definitely enough haters out there to cause what she claims, but there's zero proof either way it actually happened.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 21, 2013

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mokinokaro posted:

I'd be careful taking everything she says as fact, mind (gaining attention is important to her series.) Not that I doubt it could have happened.

Yea keep in mind she could be lying, it's not like the internet misogyny crew has declared a fatwa on her or anything and her videos always get flooded with vile comments and poo poo and people try to force youtube to take them down.

I'm not saying she's lying but keep in mind she could be lying to get attention.

Not saying she's lying though.

She's lying

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

EDIT: \/ That's a little much. She's been somewhat deceptive before for marketing purposes, that's all which calls this somewhat into question. There's definitely enough haters out there to cause what she claims, but there's zero proof either way it actually happened.

The only possibility I see for a lie is that 100 seems like it's a bit low. I remember looking at reddit threads full of people calling it garbage within minutes of the second video's release.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

senae posted:

The only possibility I see for a lie is that 100 seems like it's a bit low. I remember looking at reddit threads full of people calling it garbage within minutes of the second video's release.

A good point. And there were counter/attack videos up before this one could even be watched in its entirety.

EDIT: She must love it (outside of the actual personal threats) since it proves a lot of her points and gives her free publicity.

EDIT2: \/ "outside of the personal threats" Learn to read.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 22, 2013

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm sure she loves that the people who should watch her poo poo the most just want to call her a stupid oval office that should die and be banned from speaking ever again, yea.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I so happened to stumble on the latest video as soon as it was uploaded and the dislike bar was already rising pretty fast, so yeah - not a lie.

'Twas a good video though. I enjoy the series and her work. It's quite dry, but then the video leans towards academia and teaching people about these concepts...which makes the reaction to them all the more ridiculous, seeing as it's basically a bunch of people punching themselves in the face repeatedly.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Elmyr posted:

'Twas a good video though. I enjoy the series and her work. It's quite dry, but then the video leans towards academia and teaching people about these concepts...which makes the reaction to them all the more ridiculous, seeing as it's basically a bunch of people punching themselves in the face repeatedly.

And hilarious to some extent.

Personally, I felt the first video was a bit rough and didn't seem as well researched, but she's improved quite a bit in successive ones. She's a brave woman given some of the responses.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Mokinokaro posted:

he's been somewhat deceptive before for marketing purposes, that's all which calls this somewhat into question.

How so? Most of what I've heard is usually douchebros screaming about the womenz ruinin their gamez so I need a bit more to go off of.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Mokinokaro posted:

Of course, that's always possible...though as others have said, it seems pretty likely given the way the internet reacts to her stuff. As a funny aside, I sometimes don't realize how much my journalism background slips into my posts -- you'll notice I only said she reported getting the dislikes, not that she got them. :)

LFK
Jan 5, 2013
The whole relationship between FF and comments baffles me. Not the fact that she gets flooded with a ludicrous volume of flailing hatred, but the whole "I'm going to occasionally leave comments and voting active so that I can tell everyone what the results were." The problem is that behaviour, calling attention to the whole deal, just constructs a self-confirming narrative, it turns "are the comments on?" into a game. She's become known for playing games with the comments, which calls attention to the status of the comments, which ensures that should the comments be left on they'll be instantly flooded with dozens of Red Pillers trying to get their edge in before the comments are inevitably turned off. They won't go un-flooded until the whole show has faded so far into irrelevance that there's no douches left who find the game amusing (hint: this will be closer to the heat death of the universe than it will be to the present). The reason why it baffles me is that she has to understand that publicizing the disruptive shenanigans of a nebulous mob with zero repercussions empowers the mob and constructs an adversarial narrative. Maybe she's Marty McFly and just can't walk away from a fight.

On another note: Todd does Wrecking Ball.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Hmm, blip's giving me trouble on Firefox and IE.

*edit* Now it works. Very insightful video. Also I'm suddenly curious about his thoughts on Chael Sonnen.

Arbite fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Nov 22, 2013

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

LFK posted:

The reason why it baffles me is that she has to understand that publicizing the disruptive shenanigans of a nebulous mob with zero repercussions empowers the mob and constructs an adversarial narrative.

Ever since the first video, a common argument against her has been that she's "censoring criticism" by disabling ratings and comments. By enabling ratings and showing that the immediate result was a bunch of knee-jerk downvotes, she's making it crystal clear that those people just wanted those avenues available to shout her down. It's a great way of shutting down a weak argument.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

miscellaneous14 posted:

Ever since the first video, a common argument against her has been that she's "censoring criticism" by disabling ratings and comments. By enabling ratings and showing that the immediate result was a bunch of knee-jerk downvotes, she's making it crystal clear that those people just wanted those avenues available to shout her down. It's a great way of shutting down a weak argument.

It also allows her to show how loving awful and hosed up the comments are. Rape threats over video games, good job youtube.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Rebochan posted:

How so? Most of what I've heard is usually douchebros screaming about the womenz ruinin their gamez so I need a bit more to go off of.

1. Her first video was the worst for it where she used a bunch of Japanese developed video games to criticize American culture's treatment of women. She also completely ignored the fact that localizers did their best to tone down such themes as much as possible. When she moved into more modern games, her arguments became a lot more valid. This was likely just due to poor research.

2. Her youtube comment moderation where she purposely promotes the most vile, negative comments and ignores tons of positive ones. She's kind of presenting a very one-sided view of gamer culture when it's obvious she has a lot of positive supporters as well. Like I said before, this is part of her marketing strategy. The problem definitely exists and it's big, but she's also doing her best to paint most gamers as horrible, unwashed misogynists which makes it harder for her defenders. It's hard to support someone who is pushing the message that "your views are completely invalidated because you have a penis."

3. Her comments on Dishonoured were interesting to me. She wrote the game off as terribly misogynistic due to the story being basically a damsel in distress setup (though, in this case, the damsel's a 10 year old girl) while ignoring a lot of other details in the game. For one, the game takes place in a matriarchy and the girl Emily is the heiress to the throne. Second, two of the most powerful characters in the game world are female (Callista and Granny Rags.) Three, yes a lot of violence does happen towards women but violence happens a lot towards people in general. The instances against women are not glorified in any fashion over the ones where men die. It's a world were everyone is at the mercy of the rat plague and assassins, regardless of gender.

All that being said, I think her videos are necessary. I just wish she wouldn't manipulate things as much since it's ultimately hurting her message in the eyes of some of the people who need to watch her series.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Nov 22, 2013

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

miscellaneous14 posted:

But it's not. Or at least it would be, maybe the first time.

The crux from my viewpoint, I guess, is that I don't think anyone needs to justify disabling comments. "YouTube comments are a cesspit" isn't a novel observation, so "proving" it isn't actually helpful. It's not going to sway anyone, no Red Piller is going to have a profound "dear god, are we really that douchy?" moment when she says "100 downvotes before anyone could possibly have finished watching." All it will do is turn the comments into a game in the same way that The Streisand Effect undermines efforts to squelch: repeatedly calling attention to the game perpetuates the game. It's a bad way of shutting down a weak argument because it aggravates the situation in order to prove something everyone already knew.

Mokinokaro posted:

1. Her first video was the worst for it where she used a bunch of Japanese developed video games to criticize American culture's treatment of women. She also completely ignored the fact that localizers did their best to tone down such themes as much as possible. When she moved into more modern games, her arguments became a lot more valid. This was likely just due to poor research.

She also skipped over every interesting aspect of the situation. The whole Star Fox example was great, but she laid down the foundation, the surface level "here's the changes they made", and right as she should have started digging into the meat of it she jumped to the next example. That's a terrible decision, IMO, because that situation is a great case study to use as the backbone of the whole episode. Why did the developers make the change? What societal forces and incentives are in place that impacted their decision? How does that decision impact the next game to get made? It was a great time to talk about things like market data, how that data is often skewed in order to justify the status quo, how outlier games like Portal are often dismissed as "flukes," and games like Mirror's Edge are set up to fail (by using skewed market data to justify lower marketing budgets, effectively ensuring lower sales, which goes into the data that will then be used to justify lowering the marketing/production budget on the next game.)

Here's how it should have been structured:

Damsel in Distress is a pervasive trope. Perp walk demonstrating just how common it is (this was the best part of the episode). Why is it so common: it's easy, it's simple, it pairs well with gameplay by providing a call to action and a justification for engaging in conflict. Damsel as ball/prize. Star Fox as an in-depth case study of how tropes like The Damsel get perpetually recycled, and a contrast of popularity in American/Japanese games (which further helps to illustrate how culture and the products of that culture interact).

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Mokinokaro posted:

3. Her comments on Dishonoured were interesting to me. She wrote the game off as terribly misogynistic due to the story being basically a damsel in distress setup (though, in this case, the damsel's a 10 year old girl) while ignoring a lot of other details in the game. For one, the game takes place in a matriarchy and the girl Emily is the heiress to the throne. Second, two of the most powerful characters in the game world are female (Callista and Granny Rags.) Three, yes a lot of violence does happen towards women but violence happens a lot towards people in general. The instances against women are not glorified in any fashion over the ones where men die. It's a world were everyone is at the mercy of the rat plague and assassins, regardless of gender.

Making your stand at Dishonoured is very odd. The "Matriarchy" consists of an empress and her daughter who rule entirely at the whim of the men around them. And Granny Rags is loving crazy. It's not particularly sexist, it's the base level of sexism you get in any Damsel story. Yes she's a child, but why is it always a girl child in these stories?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

rypakal posted:

Yes she's a child, but why is it always a girl child in these stories?

That's actually a very good point. I think the issue is that in such a situation, the story usually calls for a male child to somehow be able to fight back despite being a child while that's not expected of a girl, regardless of age. The story assumes a girl is helpless.

That's why I would love to see a Mario style game with the roles reversed. A game with a female heroine rescuing a male prisoner (her boyfriend, a family member, a close friend, etc) would be a nice change of pace. There's a few examples in Western games (like Beyond Good & Evil where several missions have Jade rescuing male characters) but it's sadly rare. I don't see such a thing coming from Japan due to how deep misogyny runs in their modern culture, sadly, so it's up to western developers to change things, where Remember Me was almost not made due to having a female star (let's ignore the fact the game's quality isn't great. It doesn't factor into the game being made at all.)

How many RPGs (especially Japanese ones) start out with an orphaned male hero in his teens, after all? I forget Emily's age but there's an odd double-standard at play. I think if the child was say, under 10 the gender would be meaningless but once you move into the teens most fantasy writers seem to think a male teen is more capable than a female one (unless, of course, the girl is the hero of the story.)

What I found odd was how Anita seemed to emphasize how terrible the game was for misogyny. Her reaction to it was like the game was some sort of rape simulator rather than something that is, like you said, a fairly typical damsel story.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 22, 2013

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Mokinokaro posted:

That's why I would love to see a Mario style game with the roles reversed. A game with a female heroine rescuing a male prisoner (her boyfriend, a family member, a close friend, etc) would be a nice change of pace.

So... you want to see Super Princess Peach? (Though I don't know if that's a good example. It has its own problematic aspects. Still a fun little game, though.)

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
So I talked about season 7 of Charmed for 2 hours. I'm sorry.
(I'm not sorry)

http://olpresents.blogspot.com/2013/11/manic-episodes-charmed-season-7.html

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Miss Wallace posted:

(I'm not sorry)

:neckbeard: I'm so on board for this!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

dijon du jour posted:

So... you want to see Super Princess Peach? (Though I don't know if that's a good example. It has its own problematic aspects. Still a fun little game, though.)

Unfortunately that game did it so horribly (heck, Sarkessian brought it up in her videos) by somehow turning that premise into a terribly misogynistic game. Maybe something like those 3DO Zelda games where you played as Zelda, but you know, good.

And I'm so up for more Charmed. Tomorrow.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Miss Wallace posted:

(I'm not sorry)

Excellent :unsmigghh:

Mokinokaro posted:

Unfortunately that game did it so horribly (heck, Sarkessian brought it up in her videos) by somehow turning that premise into a terribly misogynistic game. Maybe something like those 3DO Zelda games where you played as Zelda, but you know, good.

Yeah, Super Princess Peach is way worse in how it depicts women than it would outwardly appear. It's really kinda shocking.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Mokinokaro posted:

Oh yeah, that's what I meant by it not being a very good example, or rather a good example in outward appearances only. It still baffles me to this day how a large group of people looked at a game about a woman whose super power is "her unstable emotional state" and said "Yup, this is fine. :geno:"

Miss Wallace posted:

(I'm not sorry)

Oh hell yes. I am so in.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Miss Wallace posted:

(I'm not sorry)

:stare: I thought you wen't a little nuts on season 6, how is there more you could say about this show? Although honestly I started to zone out towards the end of your 6 review.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
New Wheel of the Worst, finally featuring Tree Stand Safety :woop:. Also, does anyone know what's up with Rich's hand? It looks like it's missing a finger and it doesn't look like an effect (especially since they don't reference it at all throughout the video) :ohdear:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
New music movies with Paw
http://auditorydumpling.com/music-movies-dancer-in-the-dark/

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Mr.Radar posted:

Also, does anyone know what's up with Rich's hand? It looks like it's missing a finger and it doesn't look like an effect (especially since they don't reference it at all throughout the video) :ohdear:

The very first shot was of his wrapped-up hand, I'm pretty sure it's a gag.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Mr.Radar posted:

New Wheel of the Worst, finally featuring Tree Stand Safety :woop:. Also, does anyone know what's up with Rich's hand? It looks like it's missing a finger and it doesn't look like an effect (especially since they don't reference it at all throughout the video) :ohdear:

I still think they're running with the gag from the Halloween episode but not drawing attention to it.

Edit: gag not gig

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 23, 2013

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Jimbot posted:

I still think they're running with the gig from the Halloween episode but not drawing attention to it.

Oh right, I completely forgot about that at the end of the last episode.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jimbot posted:

I still think they're running with the gig from the Halloween episode but not drawing attention to it.

I love how deadpan they're being with it. For a while there I honestly began to wonder if Rich really had lost a finger or something.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Nov 23, 2013

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
I think, deep down in her heart, Anita Sarkeesian would rather be reviewing Reddit than video games. And I think, deep down in my heart, that I would really like to watch that show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

echopapa posted:

I think, deep down in her heart, Anita Sarkeesian would rather be reviewing Reddit than video games. And I think, deep down in my heart, that I would really like to watch that show.

Tearing apart the worst aspects of reddit and internet culture in general? Sign me up!

• Locked thread