Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

This didn't get the attention it deserves, here is a better story link though:

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/11/watch-nine-inch-nails-dedicate-in-this-twilight-to-ailing-photographer-andrew-youssef/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

il serpente cosmico posted:

Explosions in the Sky were good, but I can't help finding myself a little bored with Post Rock these days. I used to listen to Mogwai, GYBE, and Explosions quite a bit, but it all feels so predictable now.
They were far more enjoyable from my balcony seats in Vegas vs my rail spot in Los Angeles.

Here's a video report. Cancer sucks.
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/11/20/terminally-ill-photojournalist-gets-surprise-call-from-nins-trent-reznor-during-concert/

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Dr Tran posted:

They were far more enjoyable from my balcony seats in Vegas vs my rail spot in Los Angeles.

Makes sense--I was near the rail and ran to the bathroom midset. I noticed that the stage looked a lot more interesting from the sound board than it did up close / at an angle.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

It's just for me, I kinda let out a sigh when people bitch about Trent's lyrics. Yes they can be pretty awful and LiveJournal-ish at times but there's a reason why that's catchy and a lot of "good lyrics" are not. He isn't trying to write Cohen.

I mostly agree; at the same time, it's understandable that people might get tired of it after 20 years.

NihilistCanada
Sep 11, 2001

If you tremble indignation at every injustice then you are a comrade of mine.

il serpente cosmico posted:

The Portland show was great on monday--I'd never seen them live before despite being a big fan back in the day. My interest in NIN waned after feeling a little disappointed in With Teeth, but the show has rekindled my interest. I'm really digging Hesitation Marks, and I still need to give The Slip, Year Zero, and Ghosts a fair listen. Also, did Trent start taking Paxil or something? How the hell has he released so much material in the last 5-6 years?

Explosions in the Sky were good, but I can't help finding myself a little bored with Post Rock these days. I used to listen to Mogwai, GYBE, and Explosions quite a bit, but it all feels so predictable now.

He is a sober family man now. Knowing him and his output of late. I would guess Wellbutrin.

Pretty much like most of his fans now.

NihilistCanada
Sep 11, 2001

If you tremble indignation at every injustice then you are a comrade of mine.

AndyElusive posted:

Heading over to the Vancouver show tonight at Rogers Arena. Got general floor tickets. Any fellow BC Goons going?

Section 117, row 5 seats 107 and 108.

About twenty feet away from Trent and eye level to boot. Best seats I have ever had for a concert period. The show blew me away. I think I was maybe 15 feet from the main speaker stacks hanging from the ceiling. The sound was overpowering, and as it should be at a NIN concert.Took out the earplugs(getting old) and just gave in. Worth the ringing in my ears today. I have not seen a light show like that ever, only The Wall tour a couple years back had anything that mindblowing.

Trent was in amazing form(the band too). How the hell he can mid set put on a heavy leather jacket and do it up and then go loving nuts and not die of heat stroke I cannot fathom?

Best fan of the night was Canadian Rob Corddry in the seat just down from mine who was really into it the whole loving night. Dude was grooving from moment one of Explosions in the Sky and went mental when NIN hit the stage. I don't know what he was on(guessing MDMA) but I never believed anyone could get funky to Head Like a Whole before and actually pull it off.

Even managed to convert my Josh Grobin loving wife(I know, I know) into a fan.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

It seems the tickets for the EU shows will be floating around the 40 - 50 € price point (£30 - £35 in the UK, 46 € for the show in Italy, which are the only EU shows where tickets are already available). I wonder how much they'll be scaling down on the production compared to the US tour, and whether all eight of the band members are coming to Europe or not.

edit: Well, OK, the tickets for the show in Helsinki are 62,5 €. I'm 100% fine with this, whatever, just let me see this goddamn loving band live

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 23, 2013

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Seattle show was good. Nice setlist, and played a few I was hoping to hear. Some great lighting effects, and I loved how dynamic it was. Really cool effect how the overhead lights would close down to create the claustrophobic space. I loved the lighting for In Two. Great use of layers. Reminded me of a Gradius level, or something.

The one lighting thing I didn't like was when they had the "shadows" on the screen. They didn't quite match up, and saw the Trent "shadow" stumble back on one foot, and seeing him do the same kinda ruined it for me. Minor little gripe, but whatever.

I love the nin.com ticket stub, and I am glad I got the presale for a good seat, as well as having that. It's a macro shot of a few of the teeth on the blue square. Nice depth of field. Also foil. Seats were nice, but I can see how being in the crown would enhance the effects of the light show.

Explosions in the Sky did not do it for me. I like post-rock, but from my experience after the first three or so you listen to, they kind of run together and you don't really need to listen to more. The guitarists theatrics were a bit annoying. lifting his guitar over his head during one of the many, similar crescendos. I know it's common to hate on a NIN opener, but I would have taken Autolux or Mew any day.

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

Calling all girls of the opposite sex
N/A

BobbyHeenanTinyHat fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 27, 2018

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Ilan Rubin released a new EP

https://play.spotify.com/album/3zbjQBgTQw8aXuVXLUg3J8?play=true&utm_source=open.spotify.com&utm_medium=open

Pieholes
Sep 18, 2010

Just bought the ticket to the Helsinki show, first time going to a gig all alone but I'm pretty sure it will be amazing.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Pieholes posted:

Just bought the ticket to the Helsinki show, first time going to a gig all alone but I'm pretty sure it will be amazing.

Make friends with the people around you! You'll have a good rear end time.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Pieholes posted:

I'm a retard and somehow managed to lose my card which means I can't buy a ticket right now :hurr: Here's hoping the GA tickets won't get all sold before I get my new card.

I currently don't know if any of my friends are cool enough to come to a NIN concert, but it seems like there'll be a couple of people in this thread coming to the Helsinki show so maybe we'll do a small goon meet or something and have a ridiculously expensive beer or two?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
The show in Edmonton last night was pretty great. It was my 4th time seeing NIN (previously once during With Teeth, once during the first leg of LITS and again during the 2nd leg). Trent seemed to have more energy this time around than I remember the last two tours. Especially so considering Edmonton was the 2nd last show of this tour and you'd half expect a band to be pretty tired by then. There was a lot less improv moments (fewer random fucks and grunts thrown in) but everything was spot on and it didn't feel like the band was just going through the motions like a day at the office. The bassist was pretty motionless the whole show, but who cares.

The audio was also considerably quieter than other stadium shows which is a huge, huge plus. Being able to actually hear different instruments and make out vocals was A+. Don't get me wrong, it was still very loud, but it wasn't a noisy distorted mess like 90% of other bands.

A few super minor gripes which should not be taken as complaints, but rather observations:

Besides one or two songs, I didn't feel the backup singers added anything of value. They sounded pretty good during All Time Low, but I think their vocals were too quiet or something. Could barely make them out most of the time and they were mostly drowned out in the mix. Hopefully a future blu-ray will have them a little more prominent.

I honestly thought the LITS tour lighting was better. There were absolutely zero (that I noticed) dynamic real-time effects going on with the screens. Even during With Teeth, they had Trent "smash" one of the giant screens with his mic stand and it looked like glass shattered everywhere. LITS had the weird pulsating Trent face, the "wiping" of light across the screen by (I think) Rob Sheridan, and Josh Freese' Vanna White style drum sequencer bit. I found those all way way more entertaining to watch. The Tension 2013 lights were great, but I feel like they didn't pack in any cool surprises.

That said, the effects during Came Back Haunted were super goddamn cool. Whenever they sang "came back haunted", the background would flash bright red and there would be white spotlights on each band member. It actually made them look like black-and-white ghostly figures. A really impressive optical illusion.

And everyone is going to have a say about the setlists, but they didn't play anything from Ghosts and only one song from With Teeth (Hand That Feeds). I was really hoping for All The Love In The World :(

One last thing to mention, right before the encore Trent said that Edmonton was the last spot on the tour where that light show was going to be performed. I thought it was strange, because they still have Calgary tonight. A friend of mine said it's likely because Calgary's Saddledome can't support the lighting rigs. If that's true, Calgary is gonna get a stripped down show tonight and maybe hopefully a little something extra special to make up for it. Anyone going to Calgary's show tonight needs to do a trip report.

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 25, 2013

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Sounds like Calgary is getting the Vegas treatment light show wise.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

BANME.sh posted:

That said, the effects during Came Back Haunted were super goddamn cool. Whenever they sang "came back haunted", the background would flash bright red and there would be white spotlights on each band member. It actually made them look like black-and-white ghostly figures. A really impressive optical illusion.

That bit was exactly like the video for Came Back Haunted; it sounds like you haven't seen it.

I was a bit confused by Trent's statement there too, I just assumed he would be doing a different setlist for Calgary and this was the last time we'd see the light show for some of the songs. He did say "this particular show" so that's what I took it to mean.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

GuavaMoment posted:

That bit was exactly like the video for Came Back Haunted; it sounds like you haven't seen it.

I have, but I didn't make the connection I guess. The video was kind of a turd, and I only watched it once.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
It just now occurred to me that they didn't play "Everything" last Friday. Has that been axed from Tension, or was that only the festival shows before?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Fors Yard posted:

It just now occurred to me that they didn't play "Everything" last Friday. Has that been axed from Tension, or was that only the festival shows before?

It was only on the Lollapalooza setlist, but was axed. Hasn't been performed yet. Good chance for it tonight, with partial light show set up on the last night of the tour.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
"All Time Low" is being played in the currently airing episode of "Covert Affairs" on the USA network.

Yep.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Bought the ticket for the Helsinki show, loving hell I'm excited already :holy:

Pieholes
Sep 18, 2010

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

I currently don't know if any of my friends are cool enough to come to a NIN concert, but it seems like there'll be a couple of people in this thread coming to the Helsinki show so maybe we'll do a small goon meet or something and have a ridiculously expensive beer or two?

Sounds like a good idea :cheers:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tension tour is officially over :( Hope everyone who got to see them on this tour had fun and got to see them play the songs they wanted to hear. I know I did! :D

I updated the OP a bit to reflect this. What an eventful year this has been for NIN!

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Only minorly related to NIN, but I bet Ilan Rubin is glad he's not at all related to Lostprophets anymore...

quote:

Lostprophets' Ian Watkins pleads guilty to 11 charges – including two counts of attempting to rape a baby

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...by-8964029.html

:what:

edit: apparently this is old news, but he only pleaded guilty to it just recently after previously denying it since first accused

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 27, 2013

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It really is a nightmarish story, I advise not looking into the details of the case.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Tension tour is officially over :( Hope everyone who got to see them on this tour had fun and got to see them play the songs they wanted to hear. I know I did! :D

I updated the OP a bit to reflect this. What an eventful year this has been for NIN!

Cost too much money. Let's hope the next time they go around, they throw the light show out.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
I kind of wonder how much the band is costing per show. Lisa Fischer & co don't come cheap.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Bliggers- posted:

I kind of wonder how much the band is costing per show. Lisa Fischer & co don't come cheap.

I'm sure all the musicians and singers are expensive, but yeah, like Charlie said... that light set up must be breaking the bank. I mean, power needs, the expense of lugging that poo poo around, having to pay qualified people to put it all together, probably having to pay for electric inspections and poo poo?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I'm only speaking for myself here, but I don't make a ton of money. I recently had a baby, have a mortgage, and it seems I gotta pay to get something repaired every other month. Money is definitely tight, but besides all of that, I was able to afford a ticket to see one of my favorite bands. A hundred bucks is a lot for only a couple hours of entertainment, for sure, but if you can't save $5/month to see your favorite band every two years, you must be terrible with your money.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

BANME.sh posted:

I'm only speaking for myself here, but I don't make a ton of money. I recently had a baby, have a mortgage, and it seems I gotta pay to get something repaired every other month. Money is definitely tight, but besides all of that, I was able to afford a ticket to see one of my favorite bands. A hundred bucks is a lot for only a couple hours of entertainment, for sure, but if you can't save $5/month to see your favorite band every two years, you must be terrible with your money.

From a lot of reports here and elsewhere, a whole bunch of folks decided to stay home though. People were saying that the boston shows seemed to be only half full, and my friend who saw them in OKC said that the uncovered part of the seats were probably about three quarters or less, so I think the massive cost hurt the tour's bottom line. I'm sure that a lot of it is Trent's fanbase is generally aging, and not willing to travel so much for concerts anymore, or stay out late, or find a babysitter, but certainly part of it was the cost.

Then again, with the European dates, and the Aussie dates with QOTSA, he's leaving the lightshow at home, but aren't tickets going for roughly the same amount as they did in the US? Seems like maybe the lightshow isn't the problem, but rather overconfidence in his ability to sell out an arena after several albums with lackluster sales?

edit - not saying the sales were BAD on the last handful of records, but they weren't anywhere near the levels his record sales were at when he WAS selling out arenas.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Just got word Andrew passed on.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dr Tran posted:

Just got word Andrew passed on.
Oh no :smith:

Well I'm sure he was comforted by the fact that he got to see NIN one last time before he went. RIP.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Platypus Farm posted:

Then again, with the European dates, and the Aussie dates with QOTSA, he's leaving the lightshow at home, but aren't tickets going for roughly the same amount as they did in the US? Seems like maybe the lightshow isn't the problem, but rather overconfidence in his ability to sell out an arena after several albums with lackluster sales?

Australia is a different market but you're paying roughly the same amount for those two bands as you'd pay to see for any other band of that type. They're not under or overpriced but priced pretty competitively. Ie: the same as Muse. Bruce Springsteen can get away charging double what they do but he's the boss so that's okay.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

LordPants posted:

Australia is a different market but you're paying roughly the same amount for those two bands as you'd pay to see for any other band of that type. They're not under or overpriced but priced pretty competitively. Ie: the same as Muse. Bruce Springsteen can get away charging double what they do but he's the boss so that's okay.

Oh, okay that makes sense.

I was more referring to the Euro leg of Tension where it seems to just be NIN + a non super-star opener, and no lightshow, but the going rate was roughly the same. The Australia tour I misspoke - that would be one hell of a deal at US tour prices.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I dunno, 60 € is pretty much what I'd expect to pay for NIN here in Finland. Maybe someone here remembers how much they paid when NIN last did a European tour of their own?

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 2, 2013

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

I dunno, 60 € is pretty much what I'd expect to pay for NIN here in Finland. Maybe someone here remembers how much they paid when NIN last did an European tour of their own?

Then I'll be really interested to see how turn out is for those shows versus how it was at US shows.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

BANME.sh posted:

I could definitely afford the show, but there was no way I was gonna pay $100 for a ticket to see one act. If it was my first ever NIN show okay sure. But for my third? No way. I'm not gonna pay over $75 before taxes. If that means I never see another show, that's fine. I just don't consider it proper value for a concert.

I recently paid $100 for an NHL game but it's going to be my first regular season game (and I purchased someone's $150 Ticketmaster gift card so I was getting it $50 off) and I'll never do it again.

Live entertainment is too much these days. I don't care if that's the standard.

The next time I see Nine Inch Nails it'll probably be at a festival.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Platypus Farm posted:

I'm sure all the musicians and singers are expensive, but yeah, like Charlie said... that light set up must be breaking the bank. I mean, power needs, the expense of lugging that poo poo around, having to pay qualified people to put it all together, probably having to pay for electric inspections and poo poo?

So riggers generally get billed out at 80-100 an hour, the show in CT if I remember correctly was 8 riggers for 8 hours on each the load in and load out. That's just the riggers.

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008
Andrew Youssef died Saturday. Thought you folks might want to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sound_man
Aug 25, 2004
Rocking to the 80s

Platypus Farm posted:

Here is a preview of the part two of Vevo Tour Exposed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC1q8apNr3g&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DCC1q8apNr3g&app=desktop

I would imagine the production costs for this show to be about average. The lights and video rental might have been a more than normal but that would have been offset by no gags or daily costs for pyro or confetti. The local labor calls were mid sized between 40-60 for the in and 80-100 on the out. Far less than a big pop show like Gaga or JT.