Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Cage posted:

No, the tailgater is still the bigger rear end in a top hat. They're the ones that cause 90% of the accidents that slow down my drive to work. Stop following so closely!

How is is that "taking an already risky situation and deliberately making it far worse" isn't being the bigger rear end in a top hat? By brake-checking someone, especially in heavy traffic, your desire to teach someone a lesson is endangering everyone else on the road. In fact just this afternoon, some psycho bitch in a minivan brake-tested someone four or five cars ahead of me. By the time it was my turn to slow down, I had to threshold brake (on dry pavement, no less) to avoid an accident, and the person behind me had to swerve into the other lane to avoid hitting me...this even after maintaining a relatively normal following distance.

If you think brake-checking someone is appropriate at any time, you can go gently caress yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Why would you brake check someone in heavy traffic? Tailgating is expecting in that situation, and in the situation you described you were following too closely.

Cage fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 22, 2013

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
:ughh: goons defending tailgating ITT.

I don't know if there's a term for it, but when I encounter an aggressive tailgater I usually just give my brakes a gentle tap and slowly decrease speed by 5-10 MPH over a span of 3-5 seconds. It sends the "hey douchebag you're following too close/back off" without the accident-causing properties of a put your foot through the floor crash stop brake check.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Cage posted:

Why would you brake check someone in heavy traffic? Tale-gating is expecting in that situation, and in the situation you described you were following too closely.

Like I said, I was maintaining a following distance about as long as you can manage in heavy traffic. You and I and everybody else knows that it is essentially impossible to maintain a two-second following distance in heavy traffic, so you do the best you can. All the more reason why you shouldn't brake-check people. Seiously, how hard is it to understand "Don't brake-check anyone ever"?

Here's an idea...if someone is tailgating, just avoid the situation and move over; how hard is that???

MrChips fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 22, 2013

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

MrChips posted:

Like I said, I was maintaining a following distance about as long as you can manage in heavy traffic. You and I and everybody else knows that it is essentially impossible to maintain a two-second following distance in heavy traffic, so you do the best you can. All the more reason why you shouldn't brake-check people. Seiously, how hard is it to understand "Don't brake-check anyone ever"?

Here's an idea...if someone is tailgating, just avoid the situation and move over; how hard is that???
I dunno, don't tailgate if you don't want to be brake checked, I guess it happens to you a lot?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Cage posted:

I dunno, don't tailgate if you don't want to be brake checked, I guess it happens to you a lot?

As a general rule, no I don't tailgate, now stop being an Internet tough-guy and think about what I said...about the whole "endangering other motorists on the road". I'm not excusing tailgaters and their behaviour even slightly...it is totally unacceptable at any time and I wish there was a way that they could enforce that law even slightly. But to go and make an already bad situation worse is the height of idiocy.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

MrChips posted:

But to go and make an already bad situation worse is the height of idiocy.
That's basically all that trying to "punish" other drivers does.

"They're following too close! I'm gonna brake check them!"

"They waited too long to merge! I'm going to refuse to let them in even though they'll probably just do something stupid to get in!"

"That guy's going too slow! I'm going to flash my brights at him & tailgate until he gets the hint!"

"Someone's speeding? I'm going to match speed with the person next to me so nobody can get past me. That'll show 'em."

Are you a cop? No? Then it's not your job to punish other people for breaking traffic laws(or traffic common courtesy), and you don't have any way of effectively punishing them that isn't introducing a road hazard or causing pointless congestion.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Haifisch posted:

Are you a cop? No? Then it's not your job to punish other people for breaking traffic laws(or traffic common courtesy), and you don't have any way of effectively punishing them that isn't introducing a road hazard or causing pointless congestion.

..and you are winning favor by being the voice of reason by whinging about a flippant statement in a car forum full of lunatics, assholes, and full-of-poo poo posters. Except for the good ones. :v:

Please, do continue, we don't have enough mother hens in our lives..

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
In an attempt to re-rail the thread, here's someone else I found parked in the middle of a lane:

I was approaching the parking lot directly in front of him, and had to use the oncoming lane (such that there are lanes in a parking lot) to get around him.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

The Midniter posted:

These are the people you share a parking lot with.

Holy poo poo, Carmel Commons outta loving nowhere

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Llyd posted:

Yep, Belgium has the perfect recipe for bad driving:
- Abysmal road quality
- Constant road works that take forever*
- Transportation planners gone mad
- Being the center of Europe means drivers from all over the continent (and their respective bad habits)
- Mediocre driver licence system
- No cop presence on the roads (sobriety test ? what's that ?)

Belgium is indeed automotive anarchy. Things are fine when the roads are empty but in heavy traffic you get people trying to lane split in cars and other lunacy.

My mates and I took advantage, racing each other on the E40 from Calais all the way to the German border, so I suppose I'm guilty of contributing to the chaos. It's such a shame that France has a speed limit with all that great road too, but we knew there were no Gendarmes in Belgium waiting for us.

Moppingest
Nov 6, 2009
I have a friend who tends to leave for work or at least meet me at the same time on a single lane highway. We're so close that I can't see much of his car behind me (best friends). We meet on occasion, likes me so much that he never wants to pass me, even when there is a passing lane or when the road becomes 2 lane.

I shared the joy of our friendship by letting out my friendship tears.

Emptied my windshield washer fluid after our third date. First a mist of happiness kisses his windshield.. eventually there's so much love fluid on my windshield, he replies by slowing down to think about what joy he brings me while running his wipers.

Took me about a month to think of using my washer fluid to show my affection. Made my morning, I know he had to of seen me chuckling after the fourth time I had to really clean my windshield.

I highly recommend this love letter to fellow goons. It is VERY satisfying.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 22, 2018

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
The best way to deal with tailgaters is to just take your foot off the accelerator so that they either pass you or where they (more fun) can't pass you, get the loving point and stay back when you put your foot back on the throttle. Works every time and there not sudden moves or anything. Best case is just that they pass. Nothing worse than having tailgaters steal attention and make any change in the road ahead result in a crash if I have to brake.

Also, it's always fun the people decide to overtake in the dumbest situations. Had to brake semi-hard and evade a bit to not be in a head on collision yesterday. Thankfully no tailgaters behind me.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Geirskogul posted:

Sorry for the potato-quality picture, but this was what I saw while working at Home Depot today. Yes, that's 30 PVC pipes taped together with packing tape. Yes, they're almost dragging the road. Yes, the only thing holding them down is one budget ratchet strap in the front.

The worst part about all of it? He said he was driving to Glendale with that contraption. He's going to hit a bump, the pipes are going to fly upwards, then swing sideways in a turn and take out a pedestrian or oncoming traffic. I told him that he should fix it before he leaves because it is unsafe, but all he did was yell at me that he only had one ratchet strap and he was going anyway.

This was about 30 minutes ago, so PhoenixGoons, stay off of 51 northbound for awhile.

(they're not taped down to the bed in the back, just wrapped)

Did he realize that Home Depot also sells 4 packs of budget ratchet straps for like loving ten dollars? Idiot.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yech. You're reminding me of the time (a few years ago now) when I was cruising on I10 east between the tunnel and the ministack just before rush hour - you know, that special time when the freeway is jam packed but still flowing at 70-80MPH.

In one of the dead-center lanes was one '80s Toyota truck flat-towing another, doing maybe 35-40. That was one hell of an oh-poo poo for a lot of people right then.

I saw a ford focus with the rear bumper cover torn off and a flat tow bar bolted/halfassed/chained onto the aluminum bumper beam a while ago. It didn't have a license plate on it, and was towing a clearly smashed up and unregistrable SUV (:wtc:) which mysteriously had a plate on it. In the dark. On route 20 going through Auburn MA, doing 10 under the limit where everyone does 20 over. With only his 4 ways on to warn people.

I debated following and calling the police but decided that I really should probably just get as far away from that rolling deathtrap contraption as possible before the inevitable happened.

Krakkles posted:

My jeep doesn't have a rear wiper. It does, however, have a rear sprayer. :q:

I'm pretty sure that happened to every single cherokee on the road within 2 weeks of leaving the factory... I didn't fix mine for exactly the same reason.

MrOnBicycle posted:

The best way to deal with tailgaters is to just take your foot off the accelerator so that they either pass you or where they (more fun) can't pass you, get the loving point and stay back when you put your foot back on the throttle. Works every time and there not sudden moves or anything. Best case is just that they pass. Nothing worse than having tailgaters steal attention and make any change in the road ahead result in a crash if I have to brake.

Also, it's always fun the people decide to overtake in the dumbest situations. Had to brake semi-hard and evade a bit to not be in a head on collision yesterday. Thankfully no tailgaters behind me.

The problem with tailgaters is that that's literally the only "driving in traffic" maneuver they know - they don't know how to pass a slow person, they don't know how to merge, they don't know how to use their blinkers, they only know how to crawl up people's asses. It's some sort of a reptile brain lack of sentience type thing. So if you let one by you can guarantee that they'll sit 5 feet off someone else's bumper and keep you from ever getting anywhere.

So I usually just let them tailgate until I see an opening, pass a few people, and let them tailgate someone else. Not my problem anymore.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Das Volk posted:

Belgium is indeed automotive anarchy. Things are fine when the roads are empty but in heavy traffic you get people trying to lane split in cars and other lunacy.

My mates and I took advantage, racing each other on the E40 from Calais all the way to the German border, so I suppose I'm guilty of contributing to the chaos. It's such a shame that France has a speed limit with all that great road too, but we knew there were no Gendarmes in Belgium waiting for us.

Oh lordy the one and only time I've been down the E40 and back (I assume you were going Calais -> Nurburgring too?) from the moment we crossed into Belgium to the moment we left again I was in fear of my life. If we're generalising about drivers the French are rude but competent, Germans are competent but terrifyingly fast, Belgians seem to combine the worst of all these traits with a dash of schizophrenia.

P.S. gently caress driving anywhere near Brussels.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

kastein posted:

So I usually just let them tailgate until I see an opening, pass a few people, and let them tailgate someone else. Not my problem anymore.

It's great when someone is going slow in the left lane, you can just move right and hang back while your former tailgater is now annoying the slow car.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Thank you, imgur.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

KakerMix posted:

Kill-9: How does your GoPro handle the night? I'm interested in getting one for dashcam work as well but do a significant amount of driving at night.

Sorry, no bad drivers here, just the nighttime example promised for KakerMix. Taken in 1080p at 60fps. Original is obviously much sharper. No audio as you probably didn't want to listen to me troubleshoot a server outage on speakerphone.

Took this all last night. GoPro Hero 3 Black with a hard mount to the windshield of my wife's Golf R. Pretty stable given the very hard suspension in that car. I got about 30 seconds each of city driving, some rain, and dark country roads on my favorite road in the city, Spicewood Springs Road. 3.5 miles of curvy fun right around the corner from my house. Well, fun until you catch up to another goddamn Prius as I did just seconds after I ended the recording.

edit: Had to delete video after it kept audio like it shouldn't have. I'll reupload soon.

Kill-9 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 22, 2013

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

Kill-9 posted:

edit: Had to delete video after it kept audio like it shouldn't have. I'll reupload soon.

Better. Sorry about that. Don't need y'all hearing my manager yelling at people doing their job badly. Not me though. I rock at my job.

Once it's done processing it'll have 1080p like the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVZC5Wo_2Wk

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

MrChips posted:

You and I and everybody else knows that it is essentially impossible to maintain a two-second following distance in heavy traffic, so you do the best you can.

How so? I leave almost a whole car length when it's stop and go, more than a car length if its just trotting along at 10-15mph. If someone brake checks the guy in front of me, it won't change how I'm driving. I'm too far back for that nonsense.

Maybe it's from growing up in Los Angeles where 65mph freeways regularly go to 0 in an instant? I'm no where near the people in front of me cause I like my car.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Dead Cow posted:

I'm no where near the people in front of me cause I like my car.
How do you not have people pulling into the gap you leave?

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

InitialDave posted:

How do you not have people pulling into the gap you leave?

If I have someone pull up into the gap in front of me, I gradually let the gap build up again, either by them speeding off or slowing myself down a touch until I have a comfortable gap again.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

FogHelmut posted:

People who leave their car in front of the gas pump while they go inside the Wawa to get coffee and sandwiches are the worst.

I do this because I'm paying cash and the pumps only work pre-paid, and I'll be goddamned if I'm gonna go in, pay, go out and move, then go back inside.

Suck it up, cupcake.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Cage posted:

Why bother finding the guy? Call the police and get it towed.

Police don't do poo poo about vehicles on a private parking lot.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Michael Scott posted:

Police don't do poo poo about vehicles on a private parking lot.

Unless the lot owner has an enforcement agreement. Or they are in a marked and designated fire lane.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

VikingSkull posted:

I do this because I'm paying cash and the pumps only work pre-paid, and I'll be goddamned if I'm gonna go in, pay, go out and move, then go back inside.

Suck it up, cupcake.

I'm pretty sure he was talking about people that finish pumping gas and then go in for snacks and stuff. Those people suck and I try not to be one of them.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Astonishing Wang posted:

I'm pretty sure he was talking about people that finish pumping gas and then go in for snacks and stuff. Those people suck and I try not to be one of them.

Specifically I'm talking about New Jersey where we aren't allowed to pump gas, and there's a dude pumping it for you. Also you pay this person and not anyone inside.

But in other states, you shouldn't park in front of the pump if you're not using it.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007
Hey Nashville, yeah you. Why do you produce so many lovely drivers? A turn signal means I intend to come into that lane, my steer tires halfway into that lane means the trailer is going to be coming along with me shortly. Almost like it trails behind me or something...

I know sometimes people floor the accelerator to get by a truck before it changes lanes. Most times I don't blame you, but don't try it after I am already in the lane, I've got 41k lbs of GM parts and a $1mil insurance policy. I'll crush you before risk damaging the load by swerving. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGLVaEZjYS0

Fake edit; For those of you who drive for a living, this video saved me from a company level fine for unsafe driving from the company I am leased to. The jackwagon called me in so I sent the safety guy the video. I admit, it doesn't show the rear view, but it does show me giving the dude ample time and space to come back into the lane, and him swerving at me to try and force me out of the lane. (From the median of all places...)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

People's capacity for stupidity never ceases to amaze me.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Holy poo poo, that idiot wanted to die.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

Holy poo poo, that idiot wanted to die.

No kidding, see the "corrosives" placard on the tanker he was trying to get my truck to mate with?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'm amazed he didn't manage to hit some debris on the shoulder.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

FogHelmut posted:

Specifically I'm talking about New Jersey where we aren't allowed to pump gas, and there's a dude pumping it for you. Also you pay this person and not anyone inside.

But in other states, you shouldn't park in front of the pump if you're not using it.

True, the WaWa thing should have tipped me off, I apologize. In that case, yeah, that's a bit douchey.

e- also gently caress New Jersey, I'm a grown rear end man I can pump my own gas :(

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

VikingSkull posted:

e- also gently caress New Jersey, I'm a grown rear end man I can pump my own gas :(

I'll bet there is a story behind why you can't

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

dissss posted:

I'll bet there is a story behind why you can't

Because changing the law would put the gas-pumpers out of work. Initially it was about "safety," but now every time it comes up in Oregon or New Jersey, the n-number of jobs it would kill always become the sticking point. It's like a weird skeuomorph but with jobs or something.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Yep, that's the reason. It's lame as poo poo, too, because a lot of times there's only one or two people working the pumps, and rush hour North Jersey never has one or two cars at the pumps. Getting gas in Mahwah or right outside Newark near the airport loving sucks.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

FogHelmut posted:

This is apparently the rule here, but there is a notable exception for the one or two diesel pump at a station. Apparently an extra green pump handle means that you can park your minivan there while the whole family runs in to argue over who gets what snack.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

0rganDonor posted:

Hey Nashville, yeah you. Why do you produce so many lovely drivers? A turn signal means I intend to come into that lane, my steer tires halfway into that lane means the trailer is going to be coming along with me shortly. Almost like it trails behind me or something...

I know sometimes people floor the accelerator to get by a truck before it changes lanes. Most times I don't blame you, but don't try it after I am already in the lane, I've got 41k lbs of GM parts and a $1mil insurance policy. I'll crush you before risk damaging the load by swerving. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGLVaEZjYS0

Fake edit; For those of you who drive for a living, this video saved me from a company level fine for unsafe driving from the company I am leased to. The jackwagon called me in so I sent the safety guy the video. I admit, it doesn't show the rear view, but it does show me giving the dude ample time and space to come back into the lane, and him swerving at me to try and force me out of the lane. (From the median of all places...)

I might have to get a setup like that.

loving Hyundai drivers, I had a yellow one of those try and take me out a couple of weeks ago swerved so close I couldn't see what in the gently caress it was it was already "under my nose" by the time I got off the phone with the NHP, they had already wrecked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Geirskogul posted:

Because changing the law would put the gas-pumpers out of work. Initially it was about "safety," but now every time it comes up in Oregon or New Jersey, the n-number of jobs it would kill always become the sticking point. It's like a weird skeuomorph but with jobs or something.

Interestingly the price of gas in Oregon is the same or cheaper than California or Washington, so that's nice. Less taxes I guess.

Also got my dash cam setup, still testing it out. I want to move it to another location but drat that glue / tape it uses is strong!