Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
If I get an ENB like Seasons of Skyrim, will I still benefit from using something like Realistic Lighting and weather mods? I'm trying to avoid installing anything redundant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

axeil posted:

I got terrible framerates using quietcool. It looked gorgeous, but the framerate was unplayable.

I'm trying to run it now without RCRN and just using Climates of Tamriel.

I forgot to mention, you need to turn the bloomquality to 2 and turn off ssao and the other bells and whistles to make it shine.

Actually, here are my enbseries.ini and enblocal.ini you can try out if you want. I get pretty good fps with them. Had to tune them a bit though. Just pop them over the files you have.

futile
May 18, 2009
You can also make your savegames local to your MO profile by clicking 'Local Savegames' in the profile options. Either way, there's no way in hell you're getting in-game stutter from hard disk issues.

Yes you can install ENB and RLO together.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Red Mundus posted:

I forgot to mention, you need to turn the bloomquality to 2 and turn off ssao and the other bells and whistles to make it shine.

Actually, here are my enbseries.ini and enblocal.ini you can try out if you want. I get pretty good fps with them. Had to tune them a bit though. Just pop them over the files you have.

Thanks for this. I'll give it a try when I get home. What kind of video card do you have?

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I have a lovely Nvidia GeForce GT 240. I get around 30 fps except in areas with a lot of npc's. Since that's usually in towns and inns it doesn't really effect combat for me.

If I do have to fight with a lot of NPC's around (mostly civil war stuff) I just turn enb off until battle is over.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Habibi posted:

Is it viable with anything other than Khsjit?

I'm not sure. The double racial bonus you get from the scrubtier Alteration perk is a big part of it.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Just pump up the Pickpocketing tree and pick up all the unarmed bonus perks. Carry a bunch of booze and carry some good heavy gauntlets with the Gloves of the Pugilist enchantment.

My Nord dude can decently beat the poo poo out of people with that setup.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
Has anybody had any experience with Skyrim Redone? Does is play nice with SPERG, replace it completely, or not work as well?

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Getting "no game data on top level" error with a few mods. What am I doing wrong?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

dkj posted:

Getting "no game data on top level" error with a few mods. What am I doing wrong?

Let me reprise a post I made some time ago.

scamtank posted:

Mod Organizer wants to dig into resource folders like \textures and \meshes, but it can't search subfolders for them.

Ach so!

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Thank you!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Aight, doing a new install of skyrim and I fully plan on modding the hell out of it. What are some major recommendations? I don't really care allllll that much about ENB or the like since I like having a ~60 frame rate.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 22, 2013

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

The Iron Rose posted:

Aight, doing a new install of skyrim and I fully plan on modding the hell out of it. What are some major recommendations?

There's a pretty good list here to get you started: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3567959

Orv
May 4, 2011

Habibi posted:

Is it viable with anything other than Khsjit?

Khajit with Pugilist Gloves is really the only way to do it and still be effective through the whole game. Though I think SPERG might mess with it in such a way that you can do other things with heavy armor?

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

Has anybody had any experience with Skyrim Redone? Does is play nice with SPERG, replace it completely, or not work as well?

They both replace the vanilla perks, so running them at the same time is pretty much not going to happen.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."

Technogeek posted:

They both replace the vanilla perks, so running them at the same time is pretty much not going to happen.

I wanted to be sure, thank you. As I said above, I don't want to install anything redundant.

That said, most of my old mods come from the Steam Workshop. Should I uninstall anything that isn't exclusive, and redownload the latest version from the Nexus?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

I wanted to be sure, thank you. As I said above, I don't want to install anything redundant.

That said, most of my old mods come from the Steam Workshop. Should I uninstall anything that isn't exclusive, and redownload the latest version from the Nexus?

The Nexus (even if it's always down) because it lets you use MO to help fix load order conflicts.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Simple, stupid question. Is there a way I can manage the priority of individual esps in MO? I've been trying to switch over and organizing my esps is the last step I have yet to do. I know I can reorder the mods themselves but that's not quite the same thing and for some reason I can't get it to play nice with BOSS.

E: Okay, have to do it manually. That's annoying.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 22, 2013

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Can anyone recommend a good xp mod? I've seen 3 so far but I'm not sure which would be the best.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

The Iron Rose posted:

Simple, stupid question. Is there a way I can manage the priority of individual esps in MO? I've been trying to switch over and organizing my esps is the last step I have yet to do. I know I can reorder the mods themselves but that's not quite the same thing and for some reason I can't get it to play nice with BOSS.

E: Okay, have to do it manually. That's annoying.

Add boss as an executable inside MO and run it that way. It'll only see active mods.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

LtSmash posted:

Add boss as an executable inside MO and run it that way. It'll only see active mods.

Oh, no, I did that, it's just that I couldn't edit the priority of the individual plugins on the right pane and the mods in the left pane seemed uneffected when I ran boss.

E: Still can't, ugh. How can I edit the load order of my plugins in MO?

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 22, 2013

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/46925//

Oddly enough this mod makes things look like a High Res Runescape. Kinda neat actually, but a little flat.

It says that it comes with Parallax, but since I don't use ENBs I don't know how it will look without the feature.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Nov 22, 2013

Orv
May 4, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/46925//

Oddly enough this mod makes things look like a High Res Runescape. Kinda neat actually, but a little flat.

Wow I actually really dig that look. I might install that if I ever do another Skyrim run.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I took some screenshots. Man this retexture mod is pretty, but it is a performance killer at times. This was taken with the Higher Grass option.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Does it really ding performance? Dude says it's designed for performance and ran on a 512MB card with an ENB?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

epitasis posted:

Does it really ding performance? Dude says it's designed for performance and ran on a 512MB card with an ENB?

Well my machine is on the low end of high tier systems, and I'm mainly strangled by my processor. There are multiple grass options, and I was testing them out. Check my FPS counter in the top right corner of the screen to see what my average was. It got really stuttery.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Your average is 15fps?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

epitasis posted:

Your average is 15fps?

With the mod's grass options, yes, it killed my performance. My regular setup usually goes between 35-40 FPS and that suits me just fine. It's not a super computer.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

OK thanks. It looks really interesting, I might try it without those dense grass settings then. Or maybe some of it will get rolled into somebody's combined texture pack extravaganza.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like most of the new textures, but I'm not big on the rock ones. They look rather blotchy.

futile
May 18, 2009
A texture pack should mostly only effect VRAM and not performance. If you use the version that doesn't change grass height/density the performance should be similar to vanilla/HRDLC. Though judging by the fact that there is an SMIM compatibility patch he might be changing some meshes too.

Also if any of you guys ever decide to touch Papyrus scripts or any other code for that matter, Sublime Text 3 is the best text editor ever made ever.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

"We Must Dissent"

The Iron Rose posted:

Oh, no, I did that, it's just that I couldn't edit the priority of the individual plugins on the right pane and the mods in the left pane seemed uneffected when I ran boss.

E: Still can't, ugh. How can I edit the load order of my plugins in MO?

Drag and drop isn't reordering them? Left pane is essentially what install order is without MO, so what textures conflicts and the like win, right pane is esm/esp load order. Boss only does load order. A mod can have different places in the left and right panes but you should be able to drag and drop up and down within a pane to change order.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

LtSmash posted:

Drag and drop isn't reordering them? Left pane is essentially what install order is without MO, so what textures conflicts and the like win, right pane is esm/esp load order. Boss only does load order. A mod can have different places in the left and right panes but you should be able to drag and drop up and down within a pane to change order.

Oh whoops. Didn't even realize you could do that, wow. Thanks!

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008
Does SPERG address the inefficiency of dual-casting destruction spells? Vanilla makes it 2.8x cost for only 2.2x damage, which is pretty terrible.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Praetorian Mage posted:

Does SPERG address the inefficiency of dual-casting destruction spells? Vanilla makes it 2.8x cost for only 2.2x damage, which is pretty terrible.

I don't think so, but you could use SkyTweak to adjust the ratio, or the Better Dualcasting.esp from Better Magic to set it at 2.5/2.5. I've used both of them with SPERG at various points and it works just fine.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008
I'll use SkyTweak to fix it, then. Thanks.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

LtSmash posted:

Signature Weapons for Skyrim seems to be in a good state and could use some testing if anyone is a cool enough dude. Please don't add it to a 300 hour save game and delete all your old files. I've left out tempering and enchanting for the moment as the skse guy is working on a much better way to handle them. It requires SKSE and skyui. Setup is through the skyui mcm.

Let me know about any bugs or ideas for new features.

For some reason it doesn't seem to work with crossbows, and doesn't play nice with already enchanted weapons. I tried with regular and mod added weapons. Regular worked just fine sans enchantment (I'll check with an enchantment), modded was a bit iffier. Seemed to work fine with mod added weapons if they're unenchanted. Enchanted either didn't work (weapon disappeared, I didn't get a new one, had to reload). Alternatively, it flagged it with a stolen flag and turned everyone hostile.

So uh, I'd recommend fine tuning. Seems super cool though, and it's worth noting I added this to a (new) playthrough with about 140 different mods.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
So... Skyrim Nexus has added a new tool to the belt of the passive-aggressive mod author: a finer level of granularity on bans so you can restrict individual users from downloading your stuff. You can ban them from any particular file, or all your files, with one click.

They've always been pretty anti-user but this is beyond the pale... :barf:

I would not recommend anyone post in comment threads for mods there anymore, unless you'd like to register a second account just for downloads. It goes without saying if you're found out they'll probably ban both your accounts. This actually sucks for mod authors too, at least if you're the type who, you know, values constructive feedback.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

The Iron Rose posted:

For some reason it doesn't seem to work with crossbows, and doesn't play nice with already enchanted weapons. I tried with regular and mod added weapons. Regular worked just fine sans enchantment (I'll check with an enchantment), modded was a bit iffier. Seemed to work fine with mod added weapons if they're unenchanted. Enchanted either didn't work (weapon disappeared, I didn't get a new one, had to reload). Alternatively, it flagged it with a stolen flag and turned everyone hostile.

So uh, I'd recommend fine tuning. Seems super cool though, and it's worth noting I added this to a (new) playthrough with about 140 different mods.

Thanks for testing it. Crossbows will need a dawnguard compatibility patch since I didn't want to add the requirement to the base mod. Should be really easy to do, just slipped my mind.

I realize I commented out all the enchantment stuff since player enchants weren't working. You should have gotten an unenchanted version though. Was it only mod weapons that disappeared or vanilla too? I'll look into what was going on there. The stolen flag is even weirder. Can you give any details about what/where that happened? Was the weapon originally stolen, was it mod added, and was it something that happened repeatedly? If you can tell me what mods had issues I can do some tests with them too.

I've been rewriting how it tracks the weapon because skyrim has a huge bug where ObjectReferences will sometimes break items forever and I used a pretty ugly workaround. The skse guy did a little digging and suggested a much nicer solution so hopefully that will fix some things anyway.

I really wish a better mod hosting site would come along and replace the nexus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

LtSmash posted:

I really wish a better mod hosting site would come along and replace the nexus.

It would never work. The community revolves around this toxic horseshit, and any modding site that doesn't suck their dick and give them full control over being a complete smug rear end in a top hat will never be used to the full effect.

• Locked thread