Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

courtney_beth posted:

Also, Blaine's plaid jacket is terrible. But I love how the guy in the blue hoodie just gives no gently caress about two teenagers randomly singing on the bus.

Thats because I'm pretty sure that guy in the blue hoodie is the unabomber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
You posted the wrong gif. :colbert:

Yeah, I was really frustrated with Blaine's potential interests being sarcastically brushed off like that as if he's just being silly and fearful. What, was Kurt being silly and fearful when he went to work at Vogue.com? No, that was him being smart and looking to other options when NYADA rejected him, as well as exploring all his own interests. For Blaine to be pigeonholed as a NYADA student feels a little like constraining his character in the way it was before he was actually allowed to stretch his legs in season 4, on top of Kurt just kinda being dense. Sweet and loving, but dense.

And on another level it reminds me of every conversation Finn and Rachel ever had where he’s like "I don't know if I fit into this place" and she goes "But your dreams, look at your dreams! loving LOOK AT THEM!!1" which, great, again, super sweet how much she believed in him and how that belief made him happy, but it didn't solve anything. It's the equivalent of someone saying "I'm worried" and someone else going "Don't be! :buddy:" Like, thanks, but I'm still worried.

Also, obligatorily, NYADA sucks.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Nov 22, 2013

cyclical
Nov 26, 2005
No, not that one.

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah, I was really frustrated with Blaine's potential interests being sarcastically brushed off like that as if he's just being silly and fearful. What, was Kurt being silly and fearful when he went to work at Vogue.com? No, that was him being smart and looking to other options when NYADA rejected him, as well as exploring all his own interests. For Blaine to be pigeonholed as a NYADA student feels a little like constraining his character in the way it was before he was actually allowed to stretch his legs in season 4, on top of Kurt just kinda being dense. Sweet and loving, but dense.

I thought it wasn't so much Blaine's interest in other careers being brushed off as it was Blaine simply being fearful of being rejected, and those other potential careers being used as excuses to not audition for NYADA (and maybe getting rejected). I read that whole scene as Kurt understanding that was what was going on and reacting accordingly - it wasn't about Blaine seriously considering wanting to be a doctor or teacher, it was about Blaine worrying he might not be good enough and having to deal with his dream being crushed. He's a performer and while he may love kids and playing Operation, he wants to make a career out of the performing arts. It was him getting cold feet.

quote:

Also, obligatorily, NYADA sucks.

As with all things Glee, NYADA has the potential to be great, they're just not bothering with it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I get why Kurt didn't just let Blaine just chicken out of the whole audition, but not Kurt being all incredulous and sarcastic about Blaine's other options. Kurt himself was rejected from this school at first. Adam Lambert was rejected! Jesse St. James! It felt really smart for Blaine to be considering other schools and other passions, so I just didn't like it being shut down like that. It feels dumb in-universe for all those above reasons, and I also feels like it constrains the character a bit...like, wow hey, he might have some other interests than just singing and danci...oh wait, no, I guess he doesn't.

And on some level I think I'm also tired of this being the sixth or seventh variation of the ":saddowns: I'm scared about college" ":v: Don't be scared!" ":downs: Okay" conversation we've had on this show. Compared to Becky or even Sam's storyline in the same episode (which actually built on doubts they had in previous episodes), Blaine's random hesitation just lacked...meat. That is to say: His junk was, tragically, not as big as a car.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Nov 22, 2013

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
At least when Adam Lambert was rejected from NYADA, he had the foresight to have applied to other places, Kurt and Rachel. That honestly was my #1 annoyance about season 3 (across the entire season as opposed to Will is Stupid and "I Kissed a Girl" being painfully awful) -- "If I don't get into this one fictional college I hadn't even heard of until the start of my senior year, MY LIFE IS OVER! *does not apply to any other colleges/universities ever*"

Rachel Goddamn Berry is not going to have been singing since before she could talk and taking dance lessons since before she could walk only to have applied to and hinged all her hopes and dreams on some place she had no idea even existed until she was 16-17 years old. :colbert:

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

BrianWilly posted:

I get why Kurt didn't just let Blaine just chicken out of the whole audition, but not Kurt being all incredulous and sarcastic about Blaine's other options. Kurt himself was rejected from this school at first. Adam Lambert was rejected! Jesse St. James! It felt really smart for Blaine to be considering other schools and other passions, so I just didn't like it being shut down like that. It feels dumb in-universe for all those above reasons, and I also feels like it constrains the character a bit...like, wow hey, he might have some other interests than just singing and danci...oh wait, no, I guess he doesn't.

I would have felt the same way but Blaine wasn't serious about wanting to be a teacher or a doctor. It was like cyclical said, fear of rejection over actually wanting to look into other options. I think it would have been great if he actually had those other interests like you point out and did the smart thing and look into them. You can go to NYU and still study theater but no, every student has to get into the fancy school and inexplicably all become superstars!

I really liked that they had a bit of focus on Becky this episode and showed that there are college options for those with who are differently-abled.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS

BrianWilly posted:

You posted the wrong gif. :colbert:

Guy in Unabomber Hoodie is my new favorite background character.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
In small gif form that looks like Nick from New Girl and I'm pretty sure that'd be his exact reaction to being sung at by Blaine and Sam.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Ryder is adorable when smitten but he is courting disaster here. Marley is clearly still hung up on Jake and Ryder rocket-skating towards a relationship with her is only going to end with him in a Wile E. Coyote-style smear on the wall. But then, he wouldn't be Ryder if he wasn't rocket-skating through life without a helmet. :buddy:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Oh, I'm not touching Marley or Ryder's whole mess right now with any length of stick whatsoever. This is Glee at peak "make things as unnecessarily awkward and convoluted as possible" and it's just not worth the brainpower to be annoyed at it.

Striking Yak
Dec 31, 2012
So I just watched the Katy or Gaga episode, and...Will suspends Marley for refusing to wear a bikini on stage? Is that really what just happened?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Striking Yak posted:

So I just watched the Katy or Gaga episode, and...Will suspends Marley for refusing to wear a bikini on stage? Is that really what just happened?

She was suspended for agreeing to do an assignment and than doing the exact opposite of that assignment.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
MUSIC POST! Songs from Movin' Out are now eligible for the besties.

You're my Best Friend by Queen, Sung by Blaine Warbler. Glee needs to hit a certain quota each season of Queen song. I'm not complaining.

Into The Groove by Madonna, Performed by Pamela Lansbury, Kurt's Madonna Cover Band.

Cheek to Cheek by Fred Astaire, sung by Will and Sue.

Nasty/Rhythm Nation by Janet Jackson, sung by Bree, Jake, and Marley.

What does the Fox NOPE. NOPE NOPE NOPE. You can't make me listen to this, glee.

And yes, I am still mad that they have an episode named Puppet Master, with actual puppets, with no Avenue Q.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Senerio posted:

Glee needs to hit a certain quota each season of Queen song. I'm not complaining.
I am because they always do them terribly. This is probably the least worst one, because it's a relatively simple by Queen standards. They should do more of these ones and be less ambitious about We Will Rock You and Bohemian Rhapsody

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Here's Dianna Agron in a weird music video that at least doesn't involve her singing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BwzP1laWkQ

cyclical
Nov 26, 2005
No, not that one.
And here is a funny behind the scenes video for this week's episode (mildly spoilery URL, don't hover) featuring Chris, Darren, Adam Lambert and certain... special guests.

Striking Yak
Dec 31, 2012

BreakAtmo posted:

She was suspended for agreeing to do an assignment and than doing the exact opposite of that assignment.

It just seems very counter-productive and harsh to suspend a student for not finishing an assignment in an extra-curricular club, especially when it was something she wasn't comfortable doing. And when the main message of the club is to be yourself. But whatever, it's Glee, I've probably over-thought it.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Striking Yak posted:

It just seems very counter-productive and harsh to suspend a student for not finishing an assignment in an extra-curricular club, especially when it was something she wasn't comfortable doing. And when the main message of the club is to be yourself. But whatever, it's Glee, I've probably over-thought it.

I look at it in the sense that if Marley did what she did in a professional theatre company, she would be thrown out head-first, and might well find it tough to get a job again.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Striking Yak posted:

She was only suspended from Glee club, not from actual classes.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

BreakAtmo posted:

I look at it in the sense that if Marley did what she did in a professional theatre company, she would be thrown out head-first, and might well find it tough to get a job again.

This is kind of a silly approach, since she isn't a professional of any kind and is just a high school student in an extra-curricular after-school club. Similarly, Will is a teacher, not a manager or anything else. His reaction to her being that insistent on not participating in this performance should have been to pull her aside afterward and dig into why, not go, "HURF SUSPENDED!" in front of the entire club.

It's kind of like how his reaction to Quinn throwing a tantrum in his office about how glee club ruined her life -- obviously instigated by Sue and also obviously on the tails of a dramatic change in outward appearance -- probably should have been to, you know, haul her into Emma's office for some counselling rather than yell at her that she's the worst and is a selfish child and should grow up.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

xeria posted:

This is kind of a silly approach, since she isn't a professional of any kind and is just a high school student in an extra-curricular after-school club. Similarly, Will is a teacher, not a manager or anything else. His reaction to her being that insistent on not participating in this performance should have been to pull her aside afterward and dig into why, not go, "HURF SUSPENDED!" in front of the entire club.

It's kind of like how his reaction to Quinn throwing a tantrum in his office about how glee club ruined her life -- obviously instigated by Sue and also obviously on the tails of a dramatic change in outward appearance -- probably should have been to, you know, haul her into Emma's office for some counselling rather than yell at her that she's the worst and is a selfish child and should grow up.

I know she's just a student, which is why she was merely suspended from the club, my point being that that is WAY less severe than what she would get if she pulled that poo poo in the actual industry. If she wasn't punished for it it would set a crappy precedent. I agree, it might be more effective to discuss it with her, but no real director would do that - they would just fire her, because they don't care about her personal problems. I think there's value in her getting a taste of that. It's kind of like an issue I was discussing with my teacher regarding workshopping each other's writing - do you try to be as positive as possible to avoid hurting people's feelings and making them feel like they shouldn't even bother writing, or do you be blunt and honest on the basis that real-life critics aren't going to give a poo poo about the writer's feelings?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Rarity posted:

She was only suspended from Glee club, not from actual classes.
Was that directly stated? I don't think that was stated.

Where I grew up (NorCal), saying that someone was being suspended almost always means being suspended from school entirely, not just from one class or extracurricular; it's how they used that term on this show in the past as well, when Figgins was threatening to suspend Finn during Rocky Horror, and -- I think? -- when Santana was in trouble for slapping Finn. Usually you have to be pretty specific if you mean to say that someone is being suspended from something specifically, like, "Marley I suspend you from the team."

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

BreakAtmo posted:

I know she's just a student, which is why she was merely suspended from the club, my point being that that is WAY less severe than what she would get if she pulled that poo poo in the actual industry. If she wasn't punished for it it would set a crappy precedent. I agree, it might be more effective to discuss it with her, but no real director would do that - they would just fire her, because they don't care about her personal problems. I think there's value in her getting a taste of that. It's kind of like an issue I was discussing with my teacher regarding workshopping each other's writing - do you try to be as positive as possible to avoid hurting people's feelings and making them feel like they shouldn't even bother writing, or do you be blunt and honest on the basis that real-life critics aren't going to give a poo poo about the writer's feelings?

My point, though, is still that Will's job first and foremost is to be this girl's teacher. There's a difference between giving honest feedback on something (critiquing someone's writing) and going, "YOU'RE SUSPENDED FROM CLUB ACTIVITIES!" without even really bothering to figure out why she didn't do the assignment or if there were any deeper issues at play. She hasn't gained or learned anything from being suspended, beyond looking forlornly from the audience as they sang Roar. Her being suspended wasn't a plot arc in and of itself, or the direct culmination of anything in particular, that's going to lead to anything potentially interesting -- as a counter-example, Rachel had a character arc through the first half of season 3 about running for student council and eventually giving that up to support Kurt and then stuffing the ballot box so he'd win and getting suspended and missing Sectionals as a result of all that.

Marley hasn't lost or gained anything from Will suspending her, except maybe indirectly her boyfriend. She isn't missing any crucial performances. She's back on-stage with everyone at the end of "The End of Twerk" singing On Our Way. It wasn't built up from anything that happened in previous episodes. It's just words on a page that ultimately have no real meaning. (Subject to change if Marley being suspended for a week during the lead-up to nationals actually impacts nationals in some way.)

BrianWilly posted:

Was that directly stated? I don't think that was stated.

Where I grew up (NorCal), saying that someone was being suspended almost always means being suspended from school entirely, not just from one class or extracurricular; it's how they used that term on this show in the past as well, when Figgins was threatening to suspend Finn during Rocky Horror, and -- I think? -- when Santana was in trouble for slapping Finn. Usually you have to be pretty specific if you mean to say that someone is being suspended from something specifically, like, "Marley I suspend you from the team."

IIRC in the episode itself, Will just says she's suspended. I don't think he ever qualifies it as "suspended from glee club".

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Striking Yak posted:

This must be a typo. Teacher of the Year, Will Schuester?!

Striking Yak
Dec 31, 2012

jscolon2.0 posted:

This must be a typo. Teacher of the Year, Will Schuester?!

You're right, I don't know what I was thinking. He was just giving that troubled teen the same kind of tough love that reformed similar delinquent Noah Puckerman!

The way it happened was (paraphrasing):

Guys: Why aren't you wearing the costume?
Marley: I wasn't comfortable wearing a seashell bikini, so I wore this (candy dress).
Sam: Sometimes you have to do things you're not comfortable with as a performer, you think I was comfortable being shirtless?
Marley: Yeah, probably? I'm not going to change who I am for some song, or some guy.
Will: Marley, you're suspended for a week [no mention whether it was just from glee club or from school in general], you put your personal feelings above the good of the group.

I just thought it seemed really inappropriate for a teacher to suspend a student for refusing to show more skin. v:shobon:v

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Glee's doing a "pick 10 from what we say are the favorite songs for us to cover" thing for the 100th.

DapperDinosaur
May 27, 2012

This is what America's next drag super star does...

She works for a living.
I don't really understand the point of voting on songs they've already done. I don't want to see the newbies redoing songs the old cast did because I think the new cast just isn't going to be able to compete with the old versions.

And some of the choices are bizarre. Roar? Really?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Not a single Troubletones song?

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Brace yourselves for DSB 4.0

Grooveh
Apr 14, 2007
Why yes, I do enjoy banana bread muffins.
I've made some GIFs over the past few episodes.

Aaaand I guess I'll include the risque TV-14 ones. One of the actresses is actually older than me, so it's not creepy, okay. :colbert: I saw you guys passing around that picture of Sam in his boxer briefs.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
A few video performances have leaked for the next episode.

Here is the link to watch THE FOX - http://naya-rivera.com/post/68313115398/fyeahgleeclub-the-fox

I... no. I cannot even think about a proper response to that. :gonk:

http://fyeahgleeclub.tumblr.com/post/68310286120/into-the-groove and there's THE GROOVE with the NYC crew.

cyclical
Nov 26, 2005
No, not that one.

DapperDinosaur posted:

I don't really understand the point of voting on songs they've already done. I don't want to see the newbies redoing songs the old cast did because I think the new cast just isn't going to be able to compete with the old versions.

And some of the choices are bizarre. Roar? Really?

Um, didn't we just do Roar? And now we're potentially getting it again? Why? I don't really understand the point of this. I also don't want the newbies on most of these songs, they're iconic Glee songs for specific reasons and having them redone by the new ND would make them lose a lot of its impact (like for instance anyone who is not Kurt or Rachel (or both!) on Defying Gravity).

courtney_beth posted:

A few video performances have leaked for the next episode.

Here is the link to watch THE FOX - http://naya-rivera.com/post/68313115398/fyeahgleeclub-the-fox

I couldn't finish watching this. It's very Glee to be hobbling after cultural relevance several months after the fact. Please just stop.

quote:

http://fyeahgleeclub.tumblr.com/post/68310286120/into-the-groove and there's THE GROOVE with the NYC crew.

So this is a fantasy performance? It was pretty fun and I love the colorful outfits. It sounds pretty good too, Chris and Adam Lambert's voices mesh together well.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
So, tonight's episode...

You know, the whole puppet episode gimmick was funny when Angel did it ten years ago, still somewhat funny when 30 Rock did it, and I'm sure there have been countless shows that have also done one. But in 2013, it is really, really tired. Would it kill them to have some originality?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

...! posted:

Would it kill them to have some originality?

This is post-season 1 Glee we're talking about here, so, uh.... yeah, that's entirely possible.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
And they thought it would be a good idea to air a new episode on Thanksgiving for some reason but that was probably Fox's idea.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Pfff I'm pretty certain you are the wrongest thing that ever happened because this episode was the best hour of the entire whole year. :v:

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
They missed an opportunity to use the puppets for Avenue Q songs :(

What month are we in for school right now? I'm confused because THE FOX came out in July/August and they're doing a Christmas episode next week.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

BrianWilly posted:

Pfff I'm pretty certain you are the wrongest thing that ever happened because this episode was the best hour of the entire whole year. :v:

If only I could emptyquote this.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

courtney_beth posted:

They missed an opportunity to use the puppets for Avenue Q songs :(
I've been saying that since it was announced. Still mad about it.

quote:

What month are we in for school right now? I'm confused because THE FOX came out in July/August and they're doing a Christmas episode next week.

December. Blaine, Artie, Tina, Sam, and whoever else I'm forgetitng are Superseniors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Buh? No, they're still in springtime, it's the exact same school year as it was last year. The episode next week is going to be out-of-continuity alternate universe thing. It's called "Previously Unaired Christmas."

• Locked thread