Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Is the fruit itself rotten from the scorpions? Or are there just scorpion nests in the trees?

edit: nm already answered

1. A
2. J

Rahul fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Task Manager posted:

Go Team Not-Boring, Woooooo!

:hfive: voting A J

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
Is there any particular reason we can't take BOTH some chitin and the stinger? I say A AND E.

then J

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897
1) E. Take some Chitin, make an offering of the eyes to El.

2) J. The trees no longer bear edible fruit. Just monster. Burn the Monster Trees.

Also definitely search the bonepile.

Ask Aaron: "What trophy would you want? This is just as much your kill, after all."

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

quote:

The shot you have made was ludicrous but apparently not impossible. You do not feel faint, you do not feel immense hunger, you do not feel as if you are on fire, you are not blacking out and physically feel fine. Unless you trip and smack your head you are going to remain conscious.
Typos happen when updates get done on a cell phone ><. Added the word NOT in bold.

You do NOT feel like you are on fire like you did with the Snarls incident. You feel perfectly fine.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

1) &

The sex organs for Tudiya, the stinger because it's cool!

2)

Nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
A and J , ask Aaron "Have you ever experienced time slowing down around you?"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

1. Do you take a trophy?

E. Lightweight chitten. No point weighing ourselves down now when we might get more stuff as we go along.

2. Do you help Aaron burn down the grove?
J. I do. Aaron knows what he's doing, and the world certainly doesn't need more giant scorpions.
N. Build a quicky altar and sacrifice a chunk of giant scorpion to El. That seemed to be a good thing while we were on our trial. We're setting a fire anyway, might as well explicitly make it a sacrificial fire.

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
Why is everyone voting to do one of the few things that the monument screamed at us not to do? "YOU SHALL NOT HARM A FRUIT BEARING TREE," is pretty cut and dry and I don't think we should try to rules lawyer our way out of it.

As far as I remember, we did not see Aaron's name on the Obelisk. From what Diog said, at least if I remember correctly, while harming a fruit bearing tree is a sin in Zepath, I think the custom has sort of been watered down through the years, probably by virtue of the fact that few people actually sign the Obelisk.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:
A. Make a helmet out of the stinger. We need the protection.

Something like this:

Ask Aaron if it would be possible to disinfect the trees. Can we go through the bone pile for treasures?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Angela Christine posted:

No point weighing ourselves down now when we might get more stuff as we go along.

There is a point. We need to get big and strong to use the huge club that Ishmael gave us, remember? There's a reason our club and bow training involves carrying heavy objects and running around the city walls.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

We did see Aaron's name on the Obelisk. He should certainly remember what it said:

Diogines posted:

You recognize the bottom most name.

"Aaron son of Bagar". You know Bagar to be Aaron's father and Rathal's husband.

E: The question is do we take the obelisk at it's word and blindly follow "do not harm a fruit bearing tree". And we need to think over if these are to be considered fruit bearing trees anymore with the scorpions plaguing it.

HiHo ChiRho fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 22, 2013

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

A and J Get the sex organs, burn the monster trees.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
1: I take whatever this thing has instead of a foreskin as our trophy to give to tudiya.

How would chitin serve as armour? It's lighter than bronze, how strong is it in comparison? Is it harder than bronze but more brittle, if so we can coat it in a thin layer of bronze when we get back to give ourselves cool composite armour.

If it's any good to use as armour we should take appropriately sized pieces to make a breastplate, a pair of greaves and a pair of vambraces.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I think Aron's whole world may be slowed down much of the time.

Questions for Diog:
  • are we maintaining field rites or do we need to specify that we are doing that?
  • is it a given that we would sacrifice everything not taken to El, or do we need to specify that?
  • any part of the scorpion lend itself to Vambraces? These are good armor for an archer and also fit with the club since they will increase our ability to parry, which is limited with club fu apparently.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

1:A
2:J Oh why not. He's the boss. Dedicate it to El.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

quote:

Diog, is there any part of the scorpion that would lend itself to making Vambraces? If so I vote for taking that in addition to whatever trophy gets voted

Possibly, but without tools, you won't be able to make them out here.

You tap the chittin. It is hard, indeed, Aaron's battle sounded like metal clashing on metal. With some muscle power you and Aaron should be able to break pieces off if you like but if you intend to turn them into anything, you will need to wait till you get home. It seems to be lighter than metal, but all of the bug guts inside will make moving a whole limb tough.

quote:

What are we doing in terms of field offerings? Is it just taken as read that we offer to El what we don't take or use, right here right now?

You have both been maintaining the normal religious rituals expected under the circumstances. None of them have been noteworthy enough to go into, in detail.

Aaron will probably offer the rest of the corpse as an offering when you finish your other choices.

Unless there is any opposition, you will search the bone mound for valuables before leaving.

quote:

Retrieve our arrow if possible.
This is probably impossible. It is buried fully in the creatures head. It's blood is probably already melting the wooden shaft. You are down to 19 fletched, bronze head arrows. They are the expensive sort, your adopted father is pretty rich after all! He gave them to you.

quote:

Is there any particular reason we can't take BOTH some chitin and the stinger?
No, but you will have to carry whatever you take for weeks.

quote:

What trophy would you want? This is just as much your kill, after all.
"It is yours and a fine one at that, I will take nothing and we will give the rest to El."

Running for a few hours, more answers later.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 22, 2013

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

HiHo ChiRho posted:

We did see Aaron's name on the Obelisk. He should certainly remember what it said:

Yep, this. Apparently giant fruit-despoiling scorpions are common enough to have a name, which means that the methods for dealing with them are a Known Thing, which Aaron has had to do before.

Aaron is easily the most even-tempered Mighty Man we know, and I doubt he'd lead us into a dire sin.

Just in case, though, toss any scorpion bits we don't take onto the fire. It's probably not a great sacrifice, since we don't *need* monster bits, but it's a worthwhile gesture.

Speaking of monster-bits, I vote for chitin. It's light, and valuable, and useful for all kinds of stuff. Lightweight armor? Arrowheads? Knives? Aaron hit this motherfucker with all his Might and didn't punch through to the soft bits, so its exoskeleton must be stronger than bronze.

That's E, J

Also, let's *not* retrieve the arrow. This thing has Xenomorph blood, and our arrow is so deep in its head that we can't see the fletching anymore. We won't find anything but a ruined shaft and a lump of bronze slag.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

1. C - Not sure how picky Tudiya wants to be about this, but, best to play it safe.
2. J - Yeah. We aren't harming the trees in this case, we're saving them.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

UppaTree posted:

Yep, this. Apparently giant fruit-despoiling scorpions are common enough to have a name, which means that the methods for dealing with them are a Known Thing, which Aaron has had to do before.

You ask Aaron if he has seen a Grove Scorpion before. He shakes his head "No, but it matches the description of one. It is a beast of a kind, there are others, they breed, like minotaurs, as opposed to that jackal you slew, I have never heard of anything like that before, I do not think it was of a kind. Their offspring grow slowly, most die when they are the size of lesser scorpions, some gain great age, great size and claim groves of their own."

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

jng2058 posted:

1) &

2)

Voting this.

Daned
Jan 14, 2008

jng2058 posted:

1) &

2)

this

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.

Diogines posted:

...as opposed to that jackal you slew, I have never heard of anything like that before, I do not think it was of a kind.

Ooooh. That makes sense. I kind of wondered why the people freaked when they got a good look at our jackal skull with the 3rd eye - also could be why El's sacrifice went inferno. We didn't kill a run of the mill monster, we seemed to have killed a one of a kind beast on our trial.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
E, let's grab us some bug armor. If we can't make armor from it, then we can sell it or whatever.
J, we should probably burn down this place for reasons already stated

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Diogines posted:

"Labaras's Balls Enkidu!" Aaron says as he jogs over to you and claps you on the back "Who do you think you are, Esau?" He laughs.

Haha! Aaron is now my favorite person in the game, besides Snarls. I vote we begin saying Labras' Balls whenever possible.

Also, man, our Might sure picked a good time to start kicking it's infantile legs. Nice.

1. C + E Something vaguely sex organy for the T-Man, and some chittin to make arrowheads from later.

2. J We aren't harming the grove; we're purifying it so that new, healthy growth can emerge. Forestry 101, but with demon scorpions.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Why not, indeed. That really wasn't as risky and suicidal as it appeared near the end, though - once we knew Aaron had a handle on things, and once we were reminded that he's apparently quite good at situational awareness re: poo poo headed in his direction, even from behind, it was a fairly safe action - albeit one whose odds of success were pretty low. We seem to have beaten the odds, so go us!

1. A + E + G. The stinger is the most recognizably scorpiony part of the scorpion, so we can't do without that (and besides, the stuff within could be useful for potions/poisons). The chitin is apparently light-weight enough to carry, so why not - we may as well get some better arrows out of the deal. Finally, one eye would make for a good, gory and presumably lightweight gift to Danal, to ease the pain of not coming along with us. Let's forget about the foreskin, though - foreskins means foreskins, and I don't know that scorpions actually do have foreskins.

2. J. Aaron is the Mighty Man, here, and apparently he's faced these things before, or else knows about them. Presumably he knows what standard acceptable operating procedures are, and even if he doesn't it seems foolish to suggest that he wouldn't be aware of the "Don't harm fruit trees" law. Besides, if El demands that we keep fruit trees alive even when they're full of man-eating scorpions and are no good to man nor beast, then El is a goddamn dick.

And now for my favorite part: Questions!

One for Diog - how large/heavy are one of these eyes, exactly? I'm assuming they're small enough to be easily transported if we only want one, but I might be wrong here.

If I hadn't made that shot, what tactics would you have used against the scorpion as the fight went on?

I know that Mighty Men tend not to use bows or other ranged weapons - what do they usually do, then, when faced with an enemy with greater reach?

For that matter, how would they deal with an enemy with greater mobility, such as harpies or other flying beasts?

I noticed you tricked the scorpion by establishing a pattern of behavior and then deviating from it suddenly. Does that usually work against animalistic monsters?

Is it possible to determine somehow how strong a monster is likely to be and how it will probably match up against you? Does it simply come down to experience and knowledge?

If you ever found yourself in a losing fight against a monster, what would you do? For that matter, if somehow, El forbid, that happened during this trip, what should I do?

Do Mighty Men ever run from a fight?

Depending on circumstances there's a chance that we may get split up if we're unfortunate - should we establish a fallback point where we can reunite if this happens?

In the hierarchy of monstrous strength and danger, how would you have ranked that scorpion?

Has your opinion on the usefulness of bows changed any?

I have a bow, and thus can pelt enemies from range. I presume most Mighty Men squiring in their youth didn't have them, though. What were they expected to do if a fight came up while they squired?

Do you want that sword back? It's probably covered in acidic blood now.

If you had taken the shot, out of curiosity, what would you take for a trophy?

Judging from the blood, I take it we can't expect to eat this thing, can we? Much less its heart.

Should we sacrifice a part of this monster to El right now as part of the usual thanksgiving hunting rituals, or is something special expected for monsters?

Is burning the grove in which these things spawn standard practice when dealing with them?

Is there some special exception or dispensation in the laws of El for burning down fruit trees covered root to leaf in scorpions?

Would it be wise to say a prayer of apology to El before burning this place down, do you think?

There's an absolute fuckton of scorpions in this place. Are they ALL the beast's spawn?

If they are, how in the heck is the world not completely and utterly infested with the blighters? Are Mighty Men that effective at keeping numbers down, or are they highly vulnerable while setting up their nests, or what?

Have you ever fought one of these before?

Do you have any idea how to make a better bow than the one we have, or where to get one? I think I'd like to upgrade this bad boy.

I presume we have continued permission to keep making whatever shots we can next time we face a monster?

I take it you'll let us know if for whatever reason you DON'T want us to shoot at a monster?

Seriously, though, was that shot amazing or what?

I think I'd better end this now before I cause Aaron's head to explode.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ask Arron Does time ever feel like it slows down for you when you are fighting? How slow does it go? When we took the shot it seemed as if everything was standing still. You've caught spears in mid flight before, did our arrow seem to be travelling at roughly the speed of normal projectiles or did it seem faster?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Was catching up on the macro/meme thread and found this.
Clearly, it's inaccurate, as I see no mention of hoofsie-woofsies, but still might be a useful reference guide.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Tomn posted:

Let's forget about the foreskin, though - foreskins means foreskins, and I don't know that scorpions actually do have foreskins.
The purpose of bringing the scorpion sex organs is that we'll figure out if Tudiya is willing to accept monster junk of various types, or if it strictly does have to be foreskins in which case we have to limit ourselves to mammal-ish monsters. It's worth doing just to clear that up.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
1. Stinger and as much chitin as possible, to be reworked later. Get large smooth sheets if possible, we can turn that into armour.

2. How big are the trees? Can we just shake them violently until all scorpions and fruit fall down, then burn that? How deadly are the small scorpions?

Also speaking of foreskins, if Tudiya accepts these, why don't we just get a bag full of the young ones and bring em home. Only need 99 right.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Bitchin'. Yeah, voting AJ, the stinger's cool, iconic and possibly phallic enough to please Tudiya (...) and the fruit trees have already been profaned; we're not harming them, we're cremating their remains.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
1 E
2 J
Let's do a solemn prayer to El as we do it because they're still fruit trees, even if they've got the scorpion cancer. We should also stick around until the fire is completely out, out of respect and to try to make sure no scorpions get away.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
1. A + C.
2. J + plant seeds after the fire dies down.
Try to salvage some seeds from the fruit and plant them once the fire dies. If the seeds are not salvageable, then forget it.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

JT Jag posted:

The purpose of bringing the scorpion sex organs is that we'll figure out if Tudiya is willing to accept monster junk of various types, or if it strictly does have to be foreskins in which case we have to limit ourselves to mammal-ish monsters. It's worth doing just to clear that up.

Goddamn this CYOA, I did not expect to spend any time at any point in my life looking up scorpion sex, and yet here I am.

So as far as I can make out, and please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong because this is only a quick reading, male scorpions reproduce by dropping little balls or capsules of sperm onto the ground, at which point they man-handle the female on top of the sperm capsule until it enters them. In this quick reading I haven't been able to find out how exactly the male deposits this sperm capsule, nor what the organ used would look like, though. God knows whether Aaron and Enkidu will be able to figure it out without Wikipedia and the Internet to help them.

Also, here's a thought for you: What if this scorpion is female? No penis then, much less a foreskin! That'd be funny.

Anyhow, this particular post isn't really in favor of or against trying to find the scorpion foreskin, but it is interesting information to consider.

GaiaFag
Jun 20, 2007
KING OF THE FURRIES (AUTOPILOT ON BITCH)
E. We need some bitching arrows for our bow

J. Burn it all to the ground. If Aaron says it cool, it's cool.

Try finding some kind of sub for the foreskin. We need them bits.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Keep some chitin for sweet armor.

Build an altar to El and burn the claws. Pray for the purification of the grove and see what happens.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Another question How potent is scorpion poison? do we have any container in which we can store some? Poison tipped arrows could come in handy at some point.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Before we go, I would like to see how the Scorpion material responds to non-sacrificial fire. We are going to have a bunch of fire around while we do this (and smoke which will be seen for leagues, i.e. "we are here! we are here!”). Does it burn away the innards and leave the exoskeleton? Does it burn the exoskeleton? Melt it? What?

If it burns away the innards leaving the exoskeleton in tact this might effect what we take. If it melts this might mean we can get a kind of ingot to be reworked later. If it burns this is good to know for the future.

This is good to know not only for any potential armor making, carrying stuff away, but also for future instances of fighting such exoskeleton beasties.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Sogol posted:

Before we go, I would like to see how the Scorpion material responds to non-sacrificial fire. We are going to have a bunch of fire around while we do this (and smoke which will be seen for leagues, i.e. "we are here! we are here!”). Does it burn away the innards and leave the exoskeleton? Does it burn the exoskeleton? Melt it? What?

If it burns away the innards leaving the exoskeleton in tact this might effect what we take. If it melts this might mean we can get a kind of ingot to be reworked later. If it burns this is good to know for the future.

This is good to know not only for any potential armor making, carrying stuff away, but also for future instances of fighting such exoskeleton beasties.
Oh!
+1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

Tomn posted:

Finally, one eye would make for a good, gory and presumably lightweight gift to Danal, to ease the pain of not coming along with us. Let's forget about the foreskin, though - foreskins means foreskins, and I don't know that scorpions actually do have foreskins.

I think we could make a pun-based argument. Keep the stinger. Give Tudaya the tip.

Then, I'll vote A & J, plus Sogol's experiment and Deadly Ham Sandwich's replanting.