Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

GokieKS posted:

Fine, every Inspiron I can remember. Certainly all the ones I've come across in the last 5 to 8 years have been dreadful.

Oh, I'm not disagreeing with you, most consumer level laptops are plastic and a bit crap. It was more of a trip down memory lane.

I wonder when it became cheaper to make a separate and worse line than just re-use parts throughout?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

So the T540p is "out":

:ughh: What the hell is wrong with you, Lenovo?

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
I'm real confused, we already knew what the T540p was going to look like. Is there anything wrong with it?

Oh let me guess, you have a fragile mind that can't handle the screen extending to the right of the main work area above the keyboard.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

I don't recall actually seeing it before, it seems to be actually configurable now as opposed to "coming soon" or whatever it was they had there up until very recently. Anyway, maybe it's not new to anyone else.

And yes, my primitive chicken brain prefers to have the inputs centered with display as well as the machine not hanging off to one side of my lap. It's just a bit frustrating because it seems that with each generation they change something that didn't have to be changed, only to go back with the next version, like the spacing between the F-keys.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Well, you have to try new things if you want to ever make a better product.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Off-center keyboards are terrible.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Bob Morales posted:

Off-center keyboards are terrible.

I can do you one worse.

Round trackpads, as seen on Packard Bell laptops. Awkward as hell to use, especially considering they're not that responsive to begin with.

Also, I'm still trying to find a machine that's right for me, but I come across far too many 1366x768 screens, stuff that seems to be just outside my pricerange, or non-Haswell chipsets.

Meltycat
May 20, 2006

Melty and adorable!

Anyone have any thoughts regarding glossy vs. matte screens? It appears that most notebooks now are glossy (even the Dell m3800 "portable workstation" machine). My old notebook was glossy and I didn't like it at all, it was a TFT and I don't think it was super bright (~200 nits?). The notebooks I'm looking at now have IPS QHD panels at ~300 nits -- is that enough of a difference to "power through" reflections, or will they still be an issue? Are the aftermarket matte screen overlays you can buy helpful? I'm being insistent on getting a QHD panel, so if that makes a difference I'd be curious to know.

If the glossiness is still an issue, then I might stick with my T61p for a while longer, and maybe upgrade the processor from a T7300@2.0ghz to a T9300@2.5ghz. I checked out passmark for CPU benchmarks and the T9300 seems to be about 50% faster. The main reason I'm interested is because my current laptop can -almost- manage Google Hangouts and maxes out my CPU in the process, so I'm thinking of upgrading this machine for ~$50 to see if I can wait another 6-12 months before picking up a new laptop. Has anyone done a similar upgrade and were you happy with the performance?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Just configured a $18904 laptop.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Meltycat posted:

Anyone have any thoughts regarding glossy vs. matte screens?
How much control do you have over your lighting situation? If it's portable most of the time and you're in weird locations it can be a PITA. But if you're on a desk most of the time and don't have to worry about having your back to a window glossy isn't that bad - I prefer glossy when I can control the lighting.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe

On the plus side, the 'power brick' is literally a brick...

I always wanted a laptop that could crush my lap...

When I need to use my SLI graphics, I can't forget to plug in my 600W power adapter...

You never know when you are going to need a server in your backpack or $18,000...

The motherboard in my laptop just died, time to replace it...(buys an ITX board)

AND...

No one will want to steal this folding table :downs:

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

shrughes posted:

I'm real confused, we already knew what the T540p was going to look like. Is there anything wrong with it?

Oh let me guess, you have a fragile mind that can't handle the screen extending to the right of the main work area above the keyboard.

I'm just laughing at their bizzarre 2880x1620 resolution and their labelling it as "FHD++" or 3K. Some sort of quad 1440x810?:psyduck:? So all of a sudden FHD or even 2560x1440 screens aren't good enough but no, you absolutely cannot have a 3200x1800!!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Holy poo poo, is that what it is? I didn't see the actual resolution listed so just assumed it'd roughly correspond to 2560xSomething without doing the math. I mean I'd take it over a HD display of course but that's definitely an interesting choice on their part.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
The 15" rMBP is 2880x1800. 2880x1620 is just the 16:9 version.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
edit: Nm, misread the Lenovo website. To confirm, with the 540p the middle range display is IPS and 1080p? That's perfect for my mom's needs. The only questions are whether to drop $50 on the i3 to i5 upgrade, as well as if the wifi upgrade is worth it like it was on the 530.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 21, 2013

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Hey fellas, I need some real help here. I have a situation with a woman that has a brain tumor and it is effecting her vision quite a bit. The woman has not too much money, and of course her Dell 1520 laptop just died from a lightning strike.

Requirements:

1. 15.6" or greater screen
2. Reasonable keyboard for typing (a book)
3. A good screen
4. cheap

That is basically it. The screen is the huge thing, it must be as large as possible and preferably have good color reproduction as well as brightness.
Does anyone have an suggestions?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

redeyes posted:

Hey fellas, I need some real help here. I have a situation with a woman that has a brain tumor and it is effecting her vision quite a bit. The woman has not too much money, and of course her Dell 1520 laptop just died from a lightning strike.

Requirements:

3. A good screen
4. cheap

That is basically it. The screen is the huge thing, it must be as large as possible and preferably have good color reproduction as well as brightness.

Thinkpad T530 is cheap right now ($630 or so) and you can add the 1080 screen upgrade which has 95% color gamut assuming the higher resolution isn't an issue for her eyesight.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Cream_Filling posted:

Thinkpad T530 is cheap right now ($630 or so) and you can add the 1080 screen upgrade which has 95% color gamut assuming the higher resolution isn't an issue for her eyesight.

That might be over the top in terms of resolution but I would enable scaling in windows. She basically surfs the web does email and wordprocessing. Oh and some Netflix. Any idea what that upgrade runs?

Also, refurbs are an option.

[edit] How about this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834216713

Seems really cheap.. I dont get it.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 21, 2013

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

mastershakeman posted:

edit: Nm, misread the Lenovo website. To confirm, with the 540p the middle range display is IPS and 1080p? That's perfect for my mom's needs. The only questions are whether to drop $50 on the i3 to i5 upgrade, as well as if the wifi upgrade is worth it like it was on the 530.

Yes on wifi, no on the CPU (If it's a general mom PC that is).

gmcsonoma
Jan 27, 2004

Is there a recommended usb or bluetooth keypad? I'm leaning towards either a Surface Pro 2 or Thinkpad Yoga, but I'd like a keypad for data entry (accounting). I've been using a ThinkPad Edge E530 for the past year, but want something a little lighter now.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

redeyes posted:

That might be over the top in terms of resolution but I would enable scaling in windows. She basically surfs the web does email and wordprocessing. Oh and some Netflix. Any idea what that upgrade runs?

Also, refurbs are an option.

The base model t530 has a 1366x768 screen which i think works for old people with poor vision. Refurbs are also very available on the Lenovo Outlet.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
Finally pulled the trigger on a Yoga 2 Pro!

Lenovo posted:

Estimated Delivery Date: 2014/01/13

:negative:

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Mike From Nowhere posted:

This is potentially very bad news for me.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

redeyes posted:

Requirements:

3. A good screen
4. cheap

I would check out http://outlet.lenovo.com/.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.
Evening guys,

I've been looking for a major gaming laptop, I travel all the time (4-5 days a week) and I do not mind a Desktop replacement unit. I've had my eye on an Alienware 18 and I've owned a previous Alienware (pree Dell). My last system is still working quite well (I've upgraded it to windows 7).

Is there anything on the market with the same quality and hardware level I should be looking at?

Weight is not an issue (I do not use the computer other then on a desk).
Gaming in a laptop form factor is of prim concern
Life Span in terms of Hardware quality is next.

Price Range 2k - 3k.

(Money is somewhat an object here, I don't want to buy a Falcon NW and mostly pay for the custom paint job)

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Aren't the ASUS gaming laptops pretty well regarded and like half the price?

fe: Jesus, dragging around a 18" laptop must get loving annoying even if it lives in a bag or backpag most of the time.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Klaus Kinski posted:

Aren't the ASUS gaming laptops pretty well regarded and like half the price?

fe: Jesus, dragging around a 18" laptop must get loving annoying even if it lives in a bag or backpag most of the time.

Just got one and the drat thing is huge and heavy. I do like the battery life and the way the power consumption / cpu speed scales so well, so quickly.

Seems very, very sturdy but the downside is the immense scale / weight.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Mike From Nowhere posted:

Any reason you can't buy one in store? I was gonna buy one directly then I saw I would have to wait at least a month and said gently caress it and bought it at Best Buy.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

b0nes posted:

Any reason you can't buy one in store? I was gonna buy one directly then I saw I would have to wait at least a month and said gently caress it and bought it at Best Buy.

I ordered mine on Sunday from the B&N link in the OP. It got to me yesterday- looks like their shipping/distribution center is in NC. And I did get the 3-4 weeks message as well.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Bought a Lenovo Yoga 2 today, works flawlessly right out of the box with no issues. I wanted a rMBP but I couldnn't justify the price I was paying vs what I was getting. The thing I really want is the top of the line rMBP but that's nearly $3000 not including tax. So if I get a better job that's on my list.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

redeyes posted:

Requirements:

3. A good screen
4. cheap

I don't think this usage case needs a Thinkpad. I'd just get a consumer Dell for this honestly, my mother with very low computer needs is thrilled with her $300 15" Inspiron which never leaves a desk, and has a 1366x768 TN monitor.

Serious Sam
Feb 15, 2008

Never underestimate the power of stupid things in large numbers!
I have the x220. But after lots travel and stuff almost all the edges are broken, and the screen is falling down all the time, and it feels like the laptop is kinda fragile.
Is it me or is Lenovos computers all plastic and fragile?

Maybe I should go for mac next, or am I going to an even worse "deal"?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Serious Sam posted:

I have the x220. But after lots travel and stuff almost all the edges are broken, and the screen is falling down all the time, and it feels like the laptop is kinda fragile.

The X and T series are pretty tough. If you are destroying them, any other laptop aside from a Toughbook won't last either

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

PyRosflam posted:

Evening guys,

I've been looking for a major gaming laptop, I travel all the time (4-5 days a week) and I do not mind a Desktop replacement unit. I've had my eye on an Alienware 18 and I've owned a previous Alienware (pree Dell). My last system is still working quite well (I've upgraded it to windows 7).

Is there anything on the market with the same quality and hardware level I should be looking at?

Weight is not an issue (I do not use the computer other then on a desk).
Gaming in a laptop form factor is of prim concern
Life Span in terms of Hardware quality is next.

Price Range 2k - 3k.

(Money is somewhat an object here, I don't want to buy a Falcon NW and mostly pay for the custom paint job)

Are you sure that you want a "desktop replacement"? The Y410p is powerful and compact in a sub-$1000 package and probably has about the same performance as the Alienware 18. It's 14", perfect for an airplane, or you can get the Y510p for 15.6"

There's no way that you'll be able to comfortably use an 18" laptop on an airplane, and that huge screen is going to destroy your battery life. These are important considerations if you want to travel a lot. The perfect laptop for you would be one that you can use on the plane for awhile but is still powerful while plugged in, I'd think

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 22, 2013

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Serious Sam posted:

If you've destroyed an X220 that badly, then the only place you can reasonably go for anything better is something like this: http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/latitude-e6420-xfr/pd?p=latitude-e6420-xfr&view=pdetails&isredir=true
X220s are one of the most durable laptops on the planet aside from the 4000$ fully ruggedized monstrosities like that Dell.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

QuarkJets posted:

Are you sure that you want a "desktop replacement"? The Y410p is powerful and compact in a sub-$1000 package and probably has about the same performance as the Alienware 18. It's 14", perfect for an airplane, or you can get the Y510p for 15.6"

There's no way that you'll be able to comfortably use an 18" laptop on an airplane, and that huge screen is going to destroy your battery life. These are important considerations if you want to travel a lot. The perfect laptop for you would be one that you can use on the plane for awhile but is still powerful while plugged in, I'd think

I have a company provided Laptop Ultrabook (Dell Latitude) and an IPad. I tend to only use the IPad on flights. The company laptop cant run anything more then minimal gaming.

I will look at the Y510p thanks for giving me the idea.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Serious Sam posted:

Please post pictures, I'd love to see and hear in detail what-all you've done to that thing. Honestly.

The "lenovo" in question has a magnesium frame which is probably why it's still (mostly) in one piece. My x230 has some wear (more like polish) on the edges from sliding in and out of it's sleeve but otherwise looks brand new despite traveling internationally with it.

Apple makes a laptop with a metal chassis as well but other than that you're mostly going to be stuck with plastic on plastic or metal wrapped around a plastic chassis.

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas

PyRosflam posted:

I have a company provided Laptop Ultrabook (Dell Latitude) and an IPad. I tend to only use the IPad on flights. The company laptop cant run anything more then minimal gaming.

I will look at the Y510p thanks for giving me the idea.

I travel a ton for work as well and I've been satisfied with the y410p.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
The Y410p keeps on sounding more interesting to me for my purposes. Are they also available in Europe? All I can find in my regular pricechecking place is the Y510p but I'm worried it might be too big(Used to a 13" screen for 6 and a half years now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Don't all laptops have to be in carry-ons, so you'd have to carry that 18" monster onto the plane, along with your work laptop and iPad?