Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Anyone have anything to say about Finntroll live? Thinking about seeing them tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

KingKapalone posted:

Anyone have anything to say about Finntroll live? Thinking about seeing them tomorrow.

See them, even if it's just for Metsatöll. Finntroll is fairly consistent live and, as long as they aren't wasted to hell, pretty fun to see. Metsatöll is excellent live and they have a lot of fun on stage.

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

I saw 'em a couple days ago and it was fun as hell. They did mostly play tracks off Blodsvept which I wasn't super into, but the encore is Trollhammaren and that kinda makes up for everything. Metsatöll were great fun too.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

KingKapalone posted:

Go. They are great fun, even when their amps stop working. Also, thirding the Metsatoll appreciation. You have not lived until you've seen a guy playing two flutes at the same time while headbanging.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Per O posted:

Are there any good metal albums that have a storyline?
Gnaw Their Tongues - L'arrivée De La Terne Mort Triomphante (symphonic-ish black metal/industrial noise)
Type O Negative - World Coming Down (depressive doom)
Weapon - Embers And Revelations (black/death)
Necrophobic - The Third Antichrist (blackened death/thrash)
Mörk Gryning ‎– Tusen År Har Gått (black metal)

Also have to echo the Mind Control suggestion, though it's not really metal. It's one where the story's more effective the more you listen to the album.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010
Maryland Deathfest final-ish details have been announced, and tickets go on sale tomorrow.

Maryland Deathfest posted:

Here we go with the (almost) last round of confirmed bands! This round includes only 3 bands for the main location (Edison), mostly bands to round out the Soundstage billing, and a few bands for the Thursday show at Rams Head (including the headliner for that day). Our website will be fully updated within the next couple of hours.

It appears that we will announce one (possibly two) more bands for the main location (Edison) sometime in December. Neither band will be a huge headliner, but will be a nice way to round things out. One band in particular would represent a country that has never been represented before at MDF, and we're currently waiting to make sure that they can make it into the US before announcing them.

New confirmations:

DARK ANGEL - One of only a few US shows!

TRIPTYKON (Switzerland) - Exclusive US appearance! Headlining the Thursday show at Rams Head.

INQUISITION

CRIPPLE BASTARDS (Italy)

ANTISECT (UK)

SOURVEIN

LEFT FOR DEAD (Canada)

VICTIMS (Sweden)

BLACK BREATH

GOAT TORMENT (Belgium)

CAPITALIST CASUALTIES

THE SECRET (Italy)

SEVEN SISTERS OF SLEEP

INTERNAL ROT (Australia)

MARUTA

БУТ (Czech Republic)

PUTRISECT

ENABLER

ENDORPHINS LOST

Here is a break down of who is playing where:

Thursday (Rams Head):

COFFINS
CROWBAR
SEVEN SISTERS OF SLEEP
SOURVEIN
TORCHE
TRIPTYKON
WHITEHORSE

Edison Parking Space (Friday-Sunday – bands play until 11:00 pm) - 2 more bands to be added in December

AT THE GATES
BONGRIPPER
CANCER
CANDLEMASS
CASTEVET
DARK ANGEL
DIOCLETIAN
ENTRAILS
GOAT TORMENT
GOD MACABRE
GORGUTS
GRAVES AT SEA
HEMDALE
INQUISITION
MACHETAZO
MGLA
MY DYING BRIDE
NECROS CHRISTOS
NOCTURNUS A.D.
ORATOR
SACRIFICE
SARKE
SOILENT GREEN
SOLSTAFIR
TAAKE
TANKARD
ULVER
UNCLE ACID & THE DEADBEATS
UNLEASHED
WINDHAND
WITCHRIST
WRATHPRAYER

Rams Head (Friday-Sunday – playing between 10:00 pm – 1:30 am):

AETERNUS
ASPHYX
BÖLZER
THE CHURCH OF PUNGENT STENCH
ENTHRONED
HOODED MENACE
IMMOLATION
INCANTATION
MITOCHONDRION
MUTILATION RITES
PUTRISECT
ULCERATE
WAR MASTER

Soundstage (Friday-Sunday)

ARCHAGATHUS
ANTISECT
BIRDFLESH
BLACK BREATH
БУТ
CAPITALIST CASUALTIES
CREATIVE WASTE
CRIPPLE BASTARDS
DEATH TOLL 80K
DROPDEAD
ENABLER
ENDORPHINS LOST
EXCRUCIATING TERROR
EXTINCTION OF MANKIND
FINAL CONFLICT
IN DISGUST
INTERNAL ROT
LEFT FOR DEAD
MARUTA
MESRINE
NOOTHGRUSH
RATOS DE PARAO
ROTTING OUT
THE SECRET
SHITSTORM
SICK/TIRED
STAPLED SHUT
THEORIES
UNHOLY GRAVE

Coulrophobia
Oct 11, 2012

Per O posted:

Are there any good metal albums that have a storyline?

All of Avantasia's albums are concept albums: The Metal Opera Pt I and II are a ridiculously :3: traditional power metal romp through magicland, the Wicked Trilogy (The Scarecrow, The Wicked Symphony, and Angel of Babylon) are kind of a weird abstract "emotional journey" thing, and the latest album, The Mystery of Time, is a Victorian mystery/fantasy, but the story is incomplete and I don't think the next part is in production yet (still a great album).

A lot of people are recommending Kamelot's Epica/The Black Halo too, but Silverthorn had a more interesting story IMO.

Also, Mercy Falls by Seventh Wonder and Aina: Days of Rising Doom have their moments.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

If you want to go old school with your concept albums, you can't go wrong with Streets by Savatage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37tU1vQ-IOo

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

meteor9 posted:

As far as plot albums I'm ridiculously fond of Angra's Temple of Shadows, and astoundingly ambivalent towards their entire remaining discography.

Yeah this album kicks tons of rear end. SPREAD YOUR FIRE!

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Vargatron posted:

If you want to go old school with your concept albums, you can't go wrong with Streets by Savatage:

That album is Savatage gone wrong, it's by far the worst Savatage album and I don't think it's good at all even though there are some decent parts of it. The prog/hard rock approach fits very poorly with Jon Oliva's voice, it's sorta like Sabbath's "Changes" where you take a singer who was a perfect match for one style and put him in one where he simply doesn't fit.

This really doesn't sound good to me, the production is clean and the performances are competent, but the music just doesn't work, it doesn't sound good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peOJvvysjnQ

There's plenty of good Savatage to go around though.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

Maryland Deathfest posted:

One band in particular would represent a country that has never been represented before at MDF

Maybe I just have them on the brain lately, but I wonder if this could mean Svartidaudi.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

Von Sloneker posted:

Maybe I just have them on the brain lately, but I wonder if this could mean Svartidaudi.

Svartidaudi are Icelandic, right? Solstafir are Icelandic and have been at MDF a couple times. Probably not them.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.
Maybe a band that's already been mentioned on this page, Metsatöll? Though folk metal isn't necessarily something that they'd hype up, I don't know if they've had any Estonian bands before.

edit: Myrath would also be cool, though I don't know that they'd really fit the vibe of MDF.

edit2: Darkestrah haven't played MDF before, have they?

Optimum Gulps fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Nov 23, 2013

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
You guys missed two of the greatest cheese metal concept albums ever:

Freedom Call - The Crystal Empire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFahdfjZEHQ
It's based on some book that I don't think has ever been published in English.

Hibria - Defying The Rules
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8WjP7JXCMM
It's about fighting ninjas on motorcycles in the post cyberpocalypse. There other work is extremely disappointing in comparison to how awesome this album is.

See also: The Tain by Horslips

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

El Estrago Bonito posted:

It's about fighting ninjas on motorcycles in the post cyberpocalypse. There other work is extremely disappointing in comparison to how awesome this album is.

how the hell have I not listened to this yet

vv Yeah, lots of prog death definitely fits. Opeth albums generally have a storyline, and I think Unquestionable Presence and Supuration's The Cube (insanely good, underrated album BTW) could qualify.

Gamma Nerd fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Nov 23, 2013

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Two of my favorite metal concept albums:

Crimson I and Crimson II. Hope you like progressive death metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFAY3-HxVuw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnqFYb3R654

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Monkeytime posted:

Maryland Deathfest final-ish details have been announced, and tickets go on sale tomorrow.
Sort of hoping against hope that БУТ is pronounced "butt"

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp
In Search Of Truth by Evergrey (spoler alert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56wBHwJtIgo, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKT7cPBqpVI) is the most emotional concept album about alien abduction I have ever heard.
Also, for concept albums, you could check out several Pain Of Salvation albums: Entropia, The Perfect Element, Remedy Lane, and BE.
Evergrey have other concept albums, too. The Inner Circle is pretty good. In general I love their guitar sound so I like most of their work.
As far as really in-depth storyline music over multiple albums (like Coheed), the only project/band I can think of is Ayreon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayreon). Every album is different, personally, my favorites are Into The Electric Castle, The Universal Migrator: Dream Sequencer, and The Human Equation. 01011001 and the new album, The Theory of Everything are also very good. Ayreon is the best cheesiest music.

nihil morari fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Nov 23, 2013

Nirvana7x
Feb 2, 2004

You guys missed two of the greatest cheese metal concept albums ever:

See also: The Tain by Horslips

Oh man, my buddy gave me a promo cd of their's years ago and it was pretty awesome for what it was. Plenty of generic and awesome riffs.

On a similar note I saw his band play with Vektor tonight, who I never actually heard anything from before. A lot of that throwback thrash stuff of course, but they had some really nice riffs and songs. I just couldn't get into those vocals though and I really wish I didn't forget ear protection because...ouch.

LordWeird
Feb 5, 2009

I play a
strasophereocaster

Per O posted:

Are there any good metal albums that have a storyline? I was listening to Coheed and Cambria and thought "drat if they could have a story this good with a metal band that would be awesome"

W.A.S.P. - The Crimson Idol

If you think WASP is just some glam bullshit you need to reconsider.

Nirvana7x
Feb 2, 2004

Per O posted:

Are there any good metal albums that have a storyline? I was listening to Coheed and Cambria and thought "drat if they could have a story this good with a metal band that would be awesome"

Not metal because it is more of a nerdy rock opera, but the first album 'The Protomen' made is an amazing rock opera/storyline if you are familiar enough with Mega Man. Yeah, it's video game themed, but musically it is amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtSxNZeXlKg

e: but to be honest listen to like what was first goon replied with : Dream Theater - Scenes From a Memory. And also, DT's second disc from Six Degrees.

Nirvana7x fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Nov 23, 2013

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Seconding The Crimson Idol and of course Operation Mindcrime. Stay away from Mindcrime II.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Operation: Mindcrime II: so bad, even Dio couldn't save it.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
Are you people kidding me? You're talking about concept albums and nobody's brought up River Runs Red from Life of Agony

go stand in the corner

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Any hotel recommendations for Maryland Deathfest? Planning to buy tickets today but I've never been before and don't really know the area. I'm assuming the hotels nearby fill up fast and we should book one now?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Actually has anyone mentioned Alice Cooper's Dragontown and Brutal Planet yet? (They're the same story, ish, Brutal Planet comes first)

Nosy_G
May 6, 2007

A couple of people have already mentioned Ayreon, but yea, those are all great story albums. I haven't seen anyone talk about Dio's album Magica. It's an ok album.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Nirvana7x posted:

Oh man, my buddy gave me a promo cd of their's years ago and it was pretty awesome for what it was. Plenty of generic and awesome riffs.

On a similar note I saw his band play with Vektor tonight, who I never actually heard anything from before. A lot of that throwback thrash stuff of course, but they had some really nice riffs and songs. I just couldn't get into those vocals though and I really wish I didn't forget ear protection because...ouch.

Ha ha, oh man. When I saw Vektor I was totally without earplugs and maybe three feet away from the singer at the end of "Tetrastructural Minds". Good times being deafened for twenty-four hours.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

skasion posted:

Ha ha, oh man. When I saw Vektor I was totally without earplugs and maybe three feet away from the singer at the end of "Tetrastructural Minds". Good times being deafened for twenty-four hours.
Concert venues should sell that poo poo at coat check. Life's too short for awful sound while you're being deafened.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
My Arms, Your Hearse.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

DEAR RICHARD posted:

My Arms, Your Hearse.

really is a good album, When has always been my fav

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P_GWEufQI4

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Demon Of The Fall posted:

really is a good album, When has always been my fav

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P_GWEufQI4

Sorry, April Ethereal wins:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf8PJvUpjog

But really, the best "Story" album from Opeth is Still Life. You can't beat The Moor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0hRznmgLUo

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

AgentJotun posted:

Seconding The Crimson Idol and of course Operation Mindcrime. Stay away from Mindcrime II.

Mindcrime II is bad in comparison to Mindcrime I, but that's like saying a good piece of art is worse than a goddamn masterpiece

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Hulk Krogan posted:

Any hotel recommendations for Maryland Deathfest? Planning to buy tickets today but I've never been before and don't really know the area. I'm assuming the hotels nearby fill up fast and we should book one now?
Haha skroll and I booked our hotel room at the nearest hotel as soon as they announced the venue and we got the last available room I think, the really-close hotels will be booked up. You absolutely should be booking lodging ASAP.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Most of the time whenever an interview has been done with Gaahl it has portrayed him as a ridiculous black metal cliche, when that is obviously not the case. This was posted in the black metal thread, but I thought people should read this other interview with him that actually goes a lot further than just the surface stuff. It's pretty rad.

Also, if you want some really stupid, harsh, and ridiculous brutal death/goregrind/noise in the vein of Last Days of Humanity, then my band just put out this new track earlier this week and we've gotten a pretty good response over it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHXELX5RIgg

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Am pretty much a full year late on this, but boy does it own

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftve6Acwkec

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I am deeply disappointed in the new Rhapsody of Fire album. I guess Luca Turilli really was the key member there.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
gently caress. Lamb of God just cancelled the Norwich date on their UK tour. So gutted, I was proper looking forward to seeing them for the first time.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Nah, I think The Skull Collectors is a pretty rad album as well. I dunno if it's a concept album, I'm just saying it's still drat good, I'd say a solid 8½ against the debut's 9½.
But yeah, the stuff after that.... hooo boy. loving tragic.

And as for concept albums, someone mentioned Chthonic - Bú-Tik a while back, and I wanna second that. There's some fantastic melodic hooks on that album, and the traditional Taiwanese and Chinese instruments (which I'm not usually too fond of) sound really drat coool paired with this kinda melodeath/meloblack/whatever.
The above mostly applies to their previous album, Takasago Army as well. It's also a fince album, though I've ended up listening to Bú-Tik quite a bit more.

I gotta say Chthonic have some of the coolest music videos around. I just adore the end of Broken Jade, from about 4:15 onwards. Powerful stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Thirding the love for Chthonic's new album. It's solid from top to bottom, though "Defenders of Bú-Tik Palace" stands out as one of my favourite songs of the year. But are you sure it's a concept album? I know every song tells a story, but I was under the impression that they were all self-contained. They came here as Satyricon's opening act, but their set was over almost before it began, unfortunately. At least the keyboard player actually showed up wearing the monostrosity from their recent videos.

My favourite concept album that hasn't already been mentioned is probably Hyperion by Manticora, which is (loosely?) based on the sci-fi book of the same name. I don't typically go for power metal (or prog-power, for that matter), but I'm very fond of most of Manticora's output. Maybe because they mainly churn out concept albums. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seE_m_TOmRQ