Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
So do I need to re-install the whole game to fix this Invalid dialogue problem, or just the mods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010

inscrutable horse posted:

I'm going for a "Team Holy-Rollers" with Me (Inquisitor), Keldorn, Anomen, Jaheira, Yoshimo (Until I get to Rasaad) and Aerie. Upon checking Anomen's proficiencies, I noticed he has two pips in spears. Is this something new and idiotic they added to BG2:EE, since he can't use spears, or is it a bug?

In BG2 this was a thing added by one of the fixpacks, IIRC. The default Anomen was a bunch of pips short and it was decided that 2 of those should be in spears to fit his backstory: he mentions killing a Wyvern using a spear and he's a dual classed fighter.

I guess BG2EE decided to roll with it.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

How... incredibly dumb. Time to boot up Shadowkeeper, then.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I like how people playing allegedly good characters are hankering for the "kill literally everyone who helped you but may be engaged in things that are Bad Form" approach here.

OK so you have Bodhi's crew and the Shadow Thieves. Do you then pop down to the Government District to generally take out the trash, Punisher-style? Every Cowled Wizard, maybe? (not that they can't just go to a different plane for a bit and wait it out or whatever Because Magic). After that, do you hang around being some kind of weird dictator to stop anyone possibly evil getting near power?

Hey does anyone remember the opening cutscene of Baldur's Gate at all? :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Bear in mind that the Shadow Thieves are evil. They're Amn's fantasy mafia, if the mafia were also slave traders. It's not so much a choice between shades of grey as it is a choice between Lawful and Chaotic Evil.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
Has anyone found any new items outside the NPC quests? Like that stun mace that was hidden in Beregost in BGEE.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

jBrereton posted:

I like how people playing allegedly good characters are hankering for the "kill literally everyone who helped you but may be engaged in things that are Bad Form" approach here.

OK so you have Bodhi's crew and the Shadow Thieves. Do you then pop down to the Government District to generally take out the trash, Punisher-style? Every Cowled Wizard, maybe? (not that they can't just go to a different plane for a bit and wait it out or whatever Because Magic). After that, do you hang around being some kind of weird dictator to stop anyone possibly evil getting near power?

Lets not mince words here, the Shadow Thieves are capital e Evil. They buy and sell slaves. One of the first things you can find in their extra secret hideaway is a massive rear end torture chamber.

They are evil, they just don't intend to turn the people of Athkatla into literal food and/or spread a magical curse/disease that makes you evil regardless of your prior moral stance.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Captain Oblivious posted:

massive rear end torture chamber

Oh my god

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

The Shadow Thieves never agreed to no butt stuff.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:
The only justification in D&D you need to kill poo poo is if you cast Know Alignment or Detect Evil and you get an evil ping - then it's slaughter time.

D&D explicitly in the 2E manual says it's not about shades of grey, it's absolute black and white. Either things are evil or they aren't. If the Shadow Thieves and Bodhi are both evil by spell, you should be able to kill them all.

It should also be a defense in D&D court, because using this logic I killed every evil character I could in both games, and the Flaming Fist/whoever did not like it at all.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

jBrereton posted:

I have taken out pretty much all of Athkatla with a post-Underdark solo chaotic evil half-orc barbarian before

so racist

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
As somebody who started playing in AD&D 2E, the argument I always heard was that there was a difference in creatures that are "evil by nature", such as vampires and demons, and those humans, elves, and dwarves who happened to be evil. The former could not change, even if they wanted to; some intrinsic supernatural component of their being, call it their soul if you want, would inevitably lead them back to vile compulsions. The latter, on the other hand, had mutable alignments (as all PCs do), and through persuasion/deed/the will to change could become good. Thus it's defensible and justifiable to kill the former on sight/revelation, decreasing the net evil in the universe, but a good person will still only kill evil people in the prevention of harm or self-defense and show them mercy if it's reasonable to do so (giving that evil person the opportunity to change and better themselves).

And in the context of Baldur's Gate, this is all clearly very important.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
gently caress all this moralizing, because Bioware sure as hell didn't give it more than a second's thought. It all boils down to this: do they keep their word without backstabbing you, Y/N? It's why the Shadow Thieves are the "good" path.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Saki posted:

So do I need to re-install the whole game to fix this Invalid dialogue problem, or just the mods?
You shouldn't reinstall the game because all mods exist in the override directory with a few exceptions.

This part I'm fuzzy on since I'm playnig BG:EE for the first time, with a few mods. But I think you probably need to download an updated version of the mod and then run the mod installer again. If it's a Weidu mod that asks you what you watn to install step by step, just specify reinstall for the components you had previously.

---

For that matter I am running BG:EE with BG Tweaks and SCS only, and I have a few items that come up with random dialog for their description and title. I didn't really care at first because it's happening on items whose icons I memorize (they added quivers of infinite arrows in BG:EE) but it's a little annoying. Still haven't fixed this particular bug, probably something from Tweaks I'm guessing.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

So yes Keldorn, stop trying to kill Viconia. For gently caress's sake, we're in the Underdark and there are Mind Flayers around, this is not the time. :argh:

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Besides, she only needs one thrust of the PC's Staff of Moral Healing to convert! You should try it, Keldorn. It might have made your wife stay with you.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
It's laughable how you can get people to transform their personalities with a few dialogue lines. I hear you can actually turn Dorn good, and he's a loving blackguard.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Thus it's defensible and justifiable to kill the former on sight/revelation, decreasing the net evil in the universe, but a good person will still only kill evil people in the prevention of harm or self-defense and show them mercy if it's reasonable to do so (giving that evil person the opportunity to change and better themselves).
Agreed. A good character should try to offer evil characters a chance to redeem themselves. Turning Detect Evil on in cities and going on a killing spree doesn't seem like a particularly good act.

I like the fact that there are some evil-aligned human NPCs wondering the streets in Athkatla, minding their own business. E.g. Quataris the art merchant in Wakeen's Promenade. The PC could start murdering them all on sight, but that would of course have rather bad consequences.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Baron Bifford posted:

It's laughable how you can get people to transform their personalities with a few dialogue lines. I hear you can actually turn Dorn good, and he's a loving blackguard.

I don't have a problem with it as such, since there are probably a lot of conversations "off-camera". Besides, there are always significant actions involved in all these morality changes. The thing that sucks is that it is an one-way street. You can turn a host of evil characters good, but you can only turn one lawful neutral character chaotic neutral. Heaven forbid if you could actually turn somebody evil!

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Does..does Wilson get HLAs at level 20+? If so, which class'?

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Torrannor posted:

I don't have a problem with it as such, since there are probably a lot of conversations "off-camera". Besides, there are always significant actions involved in all these morality changes. The thing that sucks is that it is an one-way street. You can turn a host of evil characters good, but you can only turn one lawful neutral character chaotic neutral. Heaven forbid if you could actually turn somebody evil!
Anomen may be listed as CN but he does become pretty evil. He even tries to kill Aerie after she urges him to try to stick to his original moral code after being rejected as a knight. (Though in Anomen's defense, Aerie is pretty annoying.)

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Boogle posted:

Its an honest mistake to make, especially when dealing with the D&D license. I honestly don't know why developers don't have the freedom to treat it like tabletop where the DM/developers can do whatever the gently caress, even if it means you can break the setting over its knee.

In his Counter-Monkey series, Spoony of the Spoony Experiment discussed some details of his past as GM'ing for the RPGA. They were highly upset when he did the usual tabletop fuckery and they eventually kicked him out, because he had the audacity to let his players die to 3 level 1 wizards.

"Leaping wizards", it was called.

Arcaeris posted:

The only justification in D&D you need to kill poo poo is if you cast Know Alignment or Detect Evil and you get an evil ping - then it's slaughter time.

D&D explicitly in the 2E manual says it's not about shades of grey, it's absolute black and white. Either things are evil or they aren't. If the Shadow Thieves and Bodhi are both evil by spell, you should be able to kill them all.

It should also be a defense in D&D court, because using this logic I killed every evil character I could in both games, and the Flaming Fist/whoever did not like it at all.

Please quote the paragraph that says Detect Evil gives you a license to kill.

Heck my copy explicitly says alignment is a tool, not a straightjacket.

Mordaedil fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 23, 2013

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mordaedil posted:

Please quote the paragraph that says Detect Evil gives you a license to kill.

Heck my copy explicitly says alignment is a tool, not a straightjacket.

One of the Eberron books states that a paladin who constantly uses Detect Evil to find evil people and kill them on that basis is not a righteous avenger - he's a serial killer.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Huh, it's almost like alignment is dumb.

Shadow Thieves are still dicks, though.

Mordaedil posted:

In his Counter-Monkey series, Spoony of the Spoony Experiment discussed some details of his past as GM'ing for the RPGA. They were highly upset when he did the usual tabletop fuckery and they eventually kicked him out, because he had the audacity to let his players die to 3 level 1 wizards.

"Leaping wizards", it was called.
I thought they didn't even die, they just got scuffed up more than you would expect from three level 1 wizards?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

The Crotch posted:

Huh, it's almost like alignment is dumb.

Alignment is a dumb generalization of something complicated (human morality and philosophy), but like Hit Points it's the sort of dumb abstraction that serves a purpose in games. Fantasy fiction frequently entails magic that has different effects on "evil creatures"; weapons like holy water that only harm the wicked, divine attacks that are only effective against those who are anathema to your god's teachings, and ancient artifacts that corrupt and pervert the people who own or use them. Alignment is nothing more than a dumb abstraction used to adjudicate those effects.

I don't think D&D games, especially CRPGs, are especially hurt by ripping it out, but I also think it's only capable of creating stupid situations if the players in question use it incorrectly (prescriptively, i.e. "you can't do that because you're good") or don't have a DM with good judgment (a thing that's necessary to make half the game work).

tranceMD
Apr 25, 2006

Forsooth! Methinks thou art no ordinary talking chicken.
So are the steam versions being updated with relative speed now? Has BG2EE already gotten the new fix on steam?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Yes.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Does Jaheria not show up outside the Harper building if I told her to find her own way out of the first dungeon? I feel like I doomed myself again when I really want that ring.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Does Neera get any better personality-wise in BG2:EE? It's like they backported the most boring aspects of Aerie's personality and history into BG1:EE. I'm thinking of dumping her once I'm through dualing Imoen over.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Rascyc posted:

Does Neera get any better personality-wise in BG2:EE? It's like they backported the most boring aspects of Aerie's personality and history into BG1:EE. I'm thinking of dumping her once I'm through dualing Imoen over.

She has some interesting character development and I feel she's a much more tolerable. She still kinda feels like a fan fic though.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Help, how are you supposed to beat Mind Flayers? Every single one of my characters die instantly. I'm just past Spellhold and I got 2 forced encounters with them there and I beat the first one by placing summoned creatures outside the door and then blasting it with spells while it was busy. The second one I got by a hasted Anomen and Slay Living, I reloaded until it hit and killed it in the first hit. Is there really no spell that protects against the brain devour thing?

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

cheesetriangles posted:

Does Jaheria not show up outside the Harper building if I told her to find her own way out of the first dungeon? I feel like I doomed myself again when I really want that ring.

Yeah, I've been going through my first evil play through ever and she left when I insulted her over Khalids dead body, and never showed up at the Harper's. I'd be really pissed off I was a mage but since I'm doing berserker/cleric it's not a big deal.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I don't melee Mind Flayers at all if I can help it. They're enough of a pain that I'll usually just chuck skeletons at them while my group hides somewhere.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

TjyvTompa posted:

Help, how are you supposed to beat Mind Flayers? Every single one of my characters die instantly. I'm just past Spellhold and I got 2 forced encounters with them there and I beat the first one by placing summoned creatures outside the door and then blasting it with spells while it was busy. The second one I got by a hasted Anomen and Slay Living, I reloaded until it hit and killed it in the first hit. Is there really no spell that protects against the brain devour thing?

Cleric spell: Chaotic Commands. Greenstone Amulet. If you're using the tweak pack or item pack there are various items that give you immunity to psionics. Undead summons or mondekinin's sword.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

TjyvTompa posted:

The universal tactic that works regardless of mods is to spam summons. Animate undead spam in particular is very strong. Then just hit someone with an improved invisibility spell and some protections so you actually have sight and pour all your undead in. Mindflayers can still see the invisibility but the AC bonus is mainly what you want. Just stay out of melee while your summons work everything over.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Thanks for the fast answers, I guess I will keep using summons and not try to melee them at all.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

TjyvTompa posted:

No spell protects against it directly, but mirror image can eat the attacks and and they have awful Thac0, it's like 10. So if you have someone with AC of -10 or better they'll only be hit 5% of the time. The fifth level cleric spell "chaotic commands" protects against their mind blast stun attack. Try Animate Dead. If you're at least level 15 hasted skeleton warriors tear their poo poo up because they're already int 0. Same goes for Mordenkainen's Sword, but you may not have access to that spell yet. You'll also notice that they usually spawn with umber hulks. The sixth level mage spell "death spell" kills them instantly. Technically it kills mind flayers instantly too, but their magic resistance usually stops it. The thing to remember is that you want to hit them hard, fast, and avoid being surrounded. Try and get them attacking either the skeletons or swords. Finally, if all else fails chug some potions of genius to get your tanks int to 25 before the fight.

e: gently caress I'm too slow :(

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TjyvTompa posted:

Their brain thing drains 5 intelligence each time, so make sure you're using a character with at least 11 intelligence so they can survive 2 hits. Then I usually either use Korgan in berserk mode or someone with Chaotic Commands to to just wail on them. Restoration should restore any drained int.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Protection from Magical Weapons should stop it. The int drain is from their physical attack which count as magic weapons iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Chaotic commands is important to protect against their psionic blast spam. If they manage to stun someone, the enemy AI will beeline to that party member and attack. All hits vs. incapacitated targets are basically automatic (+10 or +15 bonus to THAC0? something like that), so he or she will die very quickly to brain drain.

You can easily exploit that nasty AI behavior though. Mind flayer areas are very cramped, so it's very easy to deliberately not cast chaotic commands on a party member, someone in the back, say your mage, and have the rest of your protected party members block the way. Once the psionic barrage is done, the bait will be stunned, and the mind flayers will futilely try to move *through* your party to reach the delicious paralyzed brains in the back, and they won't fight back as the rest of your party cuts them down.

Skwirl posted:

Restoration should restore any drained int.

No. Stat drain is temporary and you have to wait it out.