Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

ohgodwhat posted:

I can't imagine how awful the interference at 1.16e-5 Hz must sound.

With enough amplitude you'd smell the voice coils melting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
For the listening experience, the room is as important as the speakers. A good or bad room can make or break the sound.

As for wire guage, I run 12ga to everything. I have about 90 watt continuous capability to my main channels and 1200 watt continuous to each of my subwoofers, and about 4000watts peak capability. The thing is, one day I might want to crank up the power to my mains for some extra headroom. High power amps are dirt cheap these days.

You could do 8 channels at 1200 watts each (2 ohm) for under $1000 using Behringer inuke amps.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Over a decade ago, a friend and I built a 2x500W subwoofer with a resonance box of more than a cubic meter (it was a gag for the local club). That would have shaken the goddamn house apart, and we hadn't even ever cranked it up to a 100%. What are at least two 1200W subs good for?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Combat Pretzel posted:

Over a decade ago, a friend and I built a 2x500W subwoofer with a resonance box of more than a cubic meter (it was a gag for the local club). That would have shaken the goddamn house apart, and we hadn't even ever cranked it up to a 100%. What are at least two 1200W subs good for?

E-Peen.

Or really low-impedance speakers.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Combat Pretzel posted:

Low distortion reference level playback down to 10hz. They're 13cu ft ported enclosures each with an 18" driver. Basically I wanted IMAX quality sound at home, I exceeded that by a good margin.

The theater system doubles as a music system for the attached bar room. Funny that the bar room seems to be a giant bass peak, so you get a bunch of extra bass back there without having to turn it up.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
Even with the duty cycle of film content you're very very unlikely to actually be putting 1200w continuous into them. The amp may be rated for that at a nominal impedance but I seriously doubt a reflex loaded 18" maintains a flat impedance curve especially at tuning frequency, and even top end professional drivers would exhibit thermal compression at that kind of input voltage over a decent length of time. Even the AES standard used by most manufacturers only tests for 2 hours in free air over a relatively narrow band.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Neurophonic posted:

Even with the duty cycle of film content you're very very unlikely to actually be putting 1200w continuous into them. The amp may be rated for that at a nominal impedance but I seriously doubt a reflex loaded 18" maintains a flat impedance curve especially at tuning frequency, and even top end professional drivers would exhibit thermal compression at that kind of input voltage over a decent length of time. Even the AES standard used by most manufacturers only tests for 2 hours in free air over a relatively narrow band.

Below the tuning frequency I can't give them full power, they reach x-mech pretty quickly. Luckily I have enough room gain that I don't need to. I've never measured how much power I'm putting through them. For normal movie listening I doubt I'm feeding them more than 50 watts.

At demonstration levels where the subs are hitting 118db peaks they're probably getting 3-400 watts.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Y'all must get through neighbours pretty quickly.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Nah the setup is in a concrete basement. Can't really hear it from outside except for the windows rattling. Either way I don't listen that loud very often.

There is a guy on avsforum.com, popalock, who has 16000 watts powering 16 sealed 18" drivers. I feel sorry for his foundation.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 4, 2013

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

longview posted:

This is actually shameful because you wired that up completely wrong, if you'd used a pair per channel it would be completely acceptable since it'd be (in practice) a balanced transmission line which has pretty good rejection of EMI. As is, you're probably getting some of the benefits compared to straight unshielded wire, and if it works don't gently caress with it. If you'd put a noise power source instead of a solar panel you'd probably see more crosstalk.

I guess film sound is pretty forgiving. It's actually 4 matrixed channels. There's a poo poo load of crosstalk anyway, but that's because the slit optic azimuth is not adjusted properly. My projector was only ever designed for a photoelectric cell. The solar is an afterthought.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ron Burgundy posted:

I guess film sound is pretty forgiving. It's actually 4 matrixed channels. There's a poo poo load of crosstalk anyway, but that's because the slit optic azimuth is not adjusted properly. My projector was only ever designed for a photoelectric cell. The solar is an afterthought.

I'm not really quite sure what kind of mad scientist setup you have in your home, but it sounds pretty neat.

thataaronguy
Jul 21, 2005

being and becoming

thataaronguy posted:

I am not big on large speakers; I prefer headphones.

I want the full experience when listening to my cans, so I've been pioneering a head dampening system, with some pretty impressive results!

I have pierced my ears, and wear earrings made of carbon nano tubes under my headphones.

Easily 47.3% performance increase over undamped heads.

I posted this (in this thread) 4 years ago.

I now own a pair of Adam A7s, an Adam Sub10, a MOTU UltraLite Mk3, and a set of recabled sony MDR-SA5000s.

I found this post today. I feel like I have somehow failed myself.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Cross-posting this, a review of the "HB Cable Design PowerSlave Marble Power Distributor" (Yes that's marble as in the mineral): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOwqyWdsWrE

The stupidity starts at around 2:20.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I can't even finish this.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

This bit basically sums up the insane level of ignorance involved: http://youtu.be/dOwqyWdsWrE?t=7m4s

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
This isn't funny.

Dementia is no laughing matter. :colbert:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

cheese-cube posted:

Cross-posting this, a review of the "HB Cable Design PowerSlave Marble Power Distributor" (Yes that's marble as in the mineral): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOwqyWdsWrE

This is a beautiful example of how the audiophile mind works. He thinks he hears a difference, knows it shouldn't be possible, and then spends a lot of time, with a very small amount of knowledge, extrapolating wild theories.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

cheese-cube posted:

:stonk:

NINE THOUSAND DOLLARS!

Somewhere Barnum is laughing his dead rear end off.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I think the dramatic explanation of a power strip at the beginning of the video still takes the cake.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

^^^ Yeah I was genuinely confused for the first minute or so

Khablam posted:

This is a beautiful example of how the audiophile mind works. He thinks he hears a difference, knows it shouldn't be possible, and then spends a lot of time, with a very small amount of knowledge, extrapolating wild theories.

In fairness he doesn't claim to be an alchemist or anything, he's just a humble reviewer

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Does having three dedicated lines mean he re-wired his house so that the stereo, amp, and something else have their own dedicated outlet and breakers?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Yes

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Terminal Entropy posted:

Does having three dedicated lines mean he re-wired his house so that the stereo, amp, and something else have their own dedicated outlet and breakers?

One for the pre-amp and sources, and one for each of the two 1200w amps that drive each speaker. If he does actually drive them at full power at times, it's not 100% insane to have dedicated breakers for them, to avoid tripping the breakers for the rest of the house.

2400w in a normal-sized room is hugely excessive, though.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Do any of these people go the extra mile and remodel their listening room into an anechoic chamber?

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Terminal Entropy posted:

Do any of these people go the extra mile and remodel their listening room into an anechoic chamber?

That would maybe make some actual acoustic sense, so no.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

They do have a tendency to have dedicated listening rooms.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Dedicated lines mean poo poo, beyond distributing load on multiple breakers, because they'll be connected to the same mains.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KozmoNaut posted:

One for the pre-amp and sources, and one for each of the two 1200w amps that drive each speaker. If he does actually drive them at full power at times, it's not 100% insane to have dedicated breakers for them, to avoid tripping the breakers for the rest of the house.

2400w in a normal-sized room is hugely excessive, though.

Depends. For reference quality bass, not out of the question. Even still, a breaker will pass double its rated current for 30 seconds (I think) before tripping.

So with music or movies, the likelihood of tripping a breaker is pretty slim. If you're doing sine wave stress tests on an amp, that's another story. I operate my 2200 watt continuous sub amp off a 15a breaker and haven't tripped it yet. I'm sure Ive exceeded 15a for short periods.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

It actually is insane because by using this thing he just proved that a single outlet can handle all his load.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Jerry Cotton posted:

It actually is insane because by using this thing he just proved that a single outlet can handle all his load.

And that it wasn't his concern anyway, because he had no qualms about running it all through this thing

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

baka kaba posted:

And that it wasn't his concern anyway, because he had no qualms about running it all through this thing
Don't be so sure, he looked rather nervous about whether or not it was up for the task of "distributing" all that power, as though there was any way electrics can control this.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Khablam posted:

Don't be so sure, he looked rather nervous about whether or not it was up for the task of "distributing" all that power, as though there was any way electrics can control this.

I think it's completely possible to build a power strip that can't handle x amount of poo poo, and audiophile gear is often built to lovely specs so I'd be worried too.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

baka kaba posted:

Well he replaced previous hocus pocus with $$$$$$ voodoo 2.0 so of course from his view previous concerns became meaningless.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
Kind of related:

ANTI-OXIDANT ELECTRICAL NUTRITION
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLOx1kWCWoc

I'm sure we could sell a grounding pad to audiophiles though.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

cheese-cube posted:

So how the hell do I plug my direct wired Boulder amps into this thing?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

Kind of related:

If you ground an antenna, signal level drops. I can't believe they figured it out :aaaaa:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

Kind of related:

Wow, this guy is a complete and utter loving pseudo-intellectual-wannabe moron.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Mister Kingdom posted:

NINE THOUSAND DOLLARS!

Somewhere Barnum is laughing his dead rear end off.

Were you not paying attention?

quote:

Pride of ownership? Off the chart.

You can't put a price on that.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Are you content living your life, believing that $10k power cables is all there is?

Or do you want to take the red pill, and see how deep the rabbit hole goes?

Holy gently caress:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2332488
"My Bathtub Water Cooling System Project for Audio System"

Just read that thread. It's not too long, and just mindbogglingly amazing.

Here's a sample video (warning, this is Masaokis-level of mental illness):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osT8DHpfUz0

Please note that he believes this to be the most cost-effective solution, since he is "broke" after spending SIXTY THOUSAND DOLLARS on power cables for his ~$800 speaker setup hooked up to a near-worthless (at this point due to the age of the componenets) HTPC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sra1vo3lMLo&t=61s

Dat cable. :stare: