Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Well. Years since my initial visit, it'll be the end of February when I've officially livedhere 3 years. I never really left when I took my month vacation before moving up here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

drat, I've been reading your threads for a long time.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Makes me feel old.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

13 INCH DICK posted:

Ran into something neat while getting lunch, this guy looked at my car on Craigslist before I swooped it up.

Lunch at Norm's?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Roxy's, love their pastrami burger. Makes me feel ashamed for myself every time I eat it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Ah, haven't been there yet.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

CharlesM posted:

Ah, haven't been there yet.

Hey I was thinking of you the other day, I was cleaning out my dresser and found my protegeclub.com (or was it clubprotege?) t-shirt

who is spain
Oct 28, 2010
Great car!

If there are any 13" copycats in the upper midwest:

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/4203676939.html

(77 Civic for $700, not running)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

dreesemonkey posted:

Hey I was thinking of you the other day, I was cleaning out my dresser and found my protegeclub.com (or was it clubprotege?) t-shirt

Aww thanks. I don't have any Protegé stuff left. No place to store it. :(

More on-topic: I'm only in Fremont every once in a while, but I'll keep an eye out for your Civic :P

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

who is spain posted:

Great car!

If there are any 13" copycats in the upper midwest:

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/4203676939.html

(77 Civic for $700, not running)

It's probably a good thing I'm broke, that's less then an hour away.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Someone was selling an 82 near me for 825. But it had a dented hood and LF fender and had a misfire.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Misfire on an '82 is probably just the CVCC aux valve o-ring failure and oil soaked the plug. its really common and an easy fix.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
yeah the guy took it off craigslist so im assuming its sold. or he just parked it somewhere for a Chicago winter or two to finish the job on the floorboards.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Progress:

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

13 INCH DICK posted:

Washington for the past 3 years now, and oddly enough there's still a (relative) ton of mk1 and 2 Hondas around here.

Old hondas survived very well up there for some reason. My '83 accord was a washington car. The guy I bought it from had driven it from WA to FL.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Old hondas survived very well up there for some reason. My '83 accord was a washington car. The guy I bought it from had driven it from WA to FL.

That sounds extremely terrifying. What if you blow some stupid part in the middle of loving nowhere? I have a 6th gen Accord and would be nervous attempting that trip.

Lifes Rich Pageant? I guess I'm not adventurous enough.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

two forty posted:

That sounds extremely terrifying. What if you blow some stupid part in the middle of loving nowhere? I have a 6th gen Accord and would be nervous attempting that trip.

Lifes Rich Pageant? I guess I'm not adventurous enough.

You call a tow truck. It's not the African Serengeti out there.

It's weird, you see it in the BFC-meets-AI thread a lot, people who are terrified of the prospect of breaking down somewhere. We've got near-ubiquitous cell phone coverage in this country, especially along the major interstate corridors, so yeah you'll have a bad afternoon but it's not the end of the world.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm not afraid of the breaking down part, more afraid of the finding rare/discontinued parts in an unfamiliar backwater. I prefer finding rare/discontinued parts in a familiar backwater, one where I know all the junkyards, know what they generally have on hand, and am on a first name basis with their forklift operators.

This is why being on a make/model specific quality forum can be great, if you're going off on a trip in something that has unobtainium parts, you can post up and first of all, plan to meet up with people along the way, and second, make a HELP HELP OH gently caress MY CAR BROKE SOMEONE NEAR EAST BUMFUCKISTAN SELL ME PARTS thread if anything goes wrong.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

kastein posted:

I'm not afraid of the breaking down part, more afraid of the finding rare/discontinued parts in an unfamiliar backwater. I prefer finding rare/discontinued parts in a familiar backwater, one where I know all the junkyards, know what they generally have on hand, and am on a first name basis with their forklift operators.

This is why being on a make/model specific quality forum can be great, if you're going off on a trip in something that has unobtainium parts, you can post up and first of all, plan to meet up with people along the way, and second, make a HELP HELP OH gently caress MY CAR BROKE SOMEONE NEAR EAST BUMFUCKISTAN SELL ME PARTS thread if anything goes wrong.

I guess that's what I'm getting at- you break down in Middle of Nowhere, Utah and need some strange part for an '83 Accord (with, say, high altitude but not california emissions and an automatic, old Hondas are super picky like that) which hasn't been readily available since the Clinton administration, you have real trouble. Parts for my newer accord are dirt cheap and available anywhere, but still.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
If you think practicality has any place in this thread I suggest you mosey on out mister :colbert:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

13 INCH DICK posted:

If you think practicality has any place in this thread I suggest you mosey on out mister :colbert:
Seriously.

I didn't jump on the chance to take the Cursed Skull because I wanted to help make variable-length-variable-medical-education-Shlong's life less disastrous, I wanted to harness that (glow-in-the) Dark Power to my own ends. That's why I attached it to my GPS (named Serena), I wanted the greatest chance of Cursed Skull-induced crisis.

:ghost: "TURN RIGHT ON UNPAVED ROAD"
"Oh, this road looks great! Thanks Serena!"
"Uh, poo poo."

SD 087 Snowy Roads and Not-Roads 15 by Execudork, on Flickr
You can see the Cursed Skull near the middle-bottom of the windshield. Laughing at me.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Hey, 13"...if you do go with the 4x100 conversion, I've got a set of 13" Mahle BBSes I'm trying to get rid of, up in Vancouver B.C. Just sayin'.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

ExecuDork posted:

Cursed Skull

I think the Cursed Skull will actually improve my luck. Looking to get rid of it?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
got a box in the mail today.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

13 INCH DICK posted:

Any company that uses Rat Fink-esque artwork on their official packaging is OK by me.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
awww yeah :rms:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

13 INCH DICK posted:

Where did you manage to find a NOS Weber?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
That's actually their current packaging. It's the carb we bought for the froot truck :unsmigghh:

waiting on the base plate adapter and cable adapter kit.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

13 INCH DICK posted:

That's actually their current packaging. It's the carb we bought for the froot truck :unsmigghh:

waiting on the base plate adapter and cable adapter kit.

Ugh, so it's actually a product of lovely Chinese origin now?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Eh, quality seems decent on it. I read the empi clones to avoid but the weber branded ones are still okay. Besides, my options are kind of narrow in the $free.99 range.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Adiabatic posted:

I think the Cursed Skull will actually improve my luck. Looking to get rid of it?
I'm fond of it, but I'll toss this one to the crowd:

What say you, AI goons? Shall I pass the Cursed Skull on to its next victim, or hold on to it for a while longer (my studded winter tires have just arrived, so I can get good and proper hosed!)

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

13 INCH DICK posted:

32/36? Those are pretty common swaps on small jap cars here in straya.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

ExecuDork posted:

I'm fond of it, but I'll toss this one to the crowd:

What say you, AI goons? Shall I pass the Cursed Skull on to its next victim, or hold on to it for a while longer (my studded winter tires have just arrived, so I can get good and proper hosed!)

Yuck, studded? I went with unstudded Conti Winter Extremes, these tires are the loving bomb.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Here in the Great Northern Wasteland we get lots of ice but not a whole lot of snow.

Also, gently caress UPS. They've got my tires but are too loving incompetent to let me pick them up.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Size check on isle 13 :3:

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
What's the push bar looking thing on the front end? I don't think I have seen another civic of that vintage with one.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

SouthsideSaint posted:

What's the push bar looking thing on the front end? I don't think I have seen another civic of that vintage with one.

These were originally sold as machines for cattle farmers, so often came stock with the cattle pushing bars.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tiny, tiny little cattle :3:

Up until this thread every mk1 I'd seen in person had it so I assumed it was a factory guard for the bumper mounted turn signals, but once I made the thread and everyone asked I just assume it might be a dealer optional extra. I like it personally.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Just as I had hoped for. Though with this thread it would have been more fitting if it herded spiders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

13 INCH DICK posted:

Size check on isle 13 :3:

Man. Did Hondas of that vintage have anything even resembling a crumple zone or a passenger cage? Or was it all down to bumpers and seat belts? Either way that poor car wouldn't fare well in an accident with a more modern "small" car, much less a large one.

Not trying to be a bummer but that's just where my brain went :v:

• Locked thread