Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

hooah posted:

Also, have the Grineer Bombards' missiles always been homing?

They have as long as I've been playing, so around U8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terbulus
Apr 7, 2009

New invasion features a forma bp fyi

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

I've finally decided to finish levelling mine and this is pretty true. It hurts that it still has bad damage but at least you're guaranteed to get frequent procs.

The Braton Vandal and Braton Prime also have 10% proc chance without the pitiful damage, so the Grakata is still terrible.

VVV: Ogris, Flux Rifle, Embolist are a couple good ones.

Dezztroy fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 24, 2013

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
What's a worthwhile weapon to craft with the forma from the invasion event?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
So I have this patching and am gonna jump in when I get back from work. Is Excalibur still the recommended newbie character? I watched the overview vid for it on youtube and it seemed kind of meh. Honestly, going all sneaky with Loki or magic with Mag sounds more interesting to me. Would I really be handicapping myself by not starting out with the blase cover-all-bases character?

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Now that Mag is no longer terrible, you can use pretty much any frame you want and still do fine. Excalibur is kinda boring, yeah, so go with whatever you find interesting.

It's been ages since I made my account though, I assume they still let you pick between 3 frames when you start?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Mag is an extremely solid choice right now, go for it!

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

WarLocke posted:

So I have this patching and am gonna jump in when I get back from work. Is Excalibur still the recommended newbie character? I watched the overview vid for it on youtube and it seemed kind of meh. Honestly, going all sneaky with Loki or magic with Mag sounds more interesting to me. Would I really be handicapping myself by not starting out with the blase cover-all-bases character?

I started playing a few days ago without really knowing anything at all and chose Mag. Pull is your basic ability and kills everything on screen instantly until you get to Earth, then it only kills most things instantly and cripples the rest. The trick to playing mag, as far as I can see, is to use pull when you've got a lot of people chasing you to instakill them while guaranteeing that at least one will drop an energy ball. Energy balls provide exactly enough for another pull.

It seems completely broken and I frequently find myself dealing 40% of the damage in groups of 4 just by bashing pull over and over. If I was gonna do it again I'd probably go loki since I imagine it'd be a bit more challenging and fun.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

WarLocke posted:

My friends who picked Excalibur died a lot less, but I had a looot more fun playing Loki, you can go invisible and put decoys and it's pretty fun.

Also you can make shockwave moas headbutt you sadly.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Crewmine posted:

I started playing a few days ago without really knowing anything at all and chose Mag. Pull is your basic ability and kills everything on screen instantly until you get to Earth, then it only kills most things instantly and cripples the rest. The trick to playing mag, as far as I can see, is to use pull when you've got a lot of people chasing you to instakill them while guaranteeing that at least one will drop an energy ball. Energy balls provide exactly enough for another pull.

It seems completely broken and I frequently find myself dealing 40% of the damage in groups of 4 just by bashing pull over and over. If I was gonna do it again I'd probably go loki since I imagine it'd be a bit more challenging and fun.

High level Loki is a lot of fun, but you'll be on the bottom of the damage boards with all the AOE warframes until you get your gear. It's a good frame to play with a friend since there's more teamwork - when partying with pubbies, it's usually less fun.

Bruc
May 30, 2006
Does adding a puncture damage mod not add puncture damage to weapons that don't have any by default now? I have had piercing hit on my ignis for ages but looking at it now it does nothing on the tooltip and taking it off didn't have any noticeable effect on my damage during matches.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
I believe that is the case, yes.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Did they change how Stomp works? I swear every time I use it, there's some random Runner or Leaper that didn't quite die, even though mobs further away from me than this particular one did die.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Bruc posted:

Does adding a puncture damage mod not add puncture damage to weapons that don't have any by default now? I have had piercing hit on my ignis for ages but looking at it now it does nothing on the tooltip and taking it off didn't have any noticeable effect on my damage during matches.

Yeah, the +puncture, +impact, and +slash damage mods don't work like the elemental mods. Instead of adding the listed percentage of your base damage as the indicated damage type, they just increase whatever damage you were already doing of that type by the listed amount. Between their low rates of return and the fact that weapons have their base damage split between types, they're all but useless. Even the +damage to faction mods are a better choice.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I'm going to start playing this on PC again in anticipation of the PS4 clone tool showing up. Right now I'm trying to farm up Ash and playing around with that some. I've not heard much chatter on him, is he any good? I've got the patch downloading now, but if I remember correctly, I'm right about mastery level 4 nearing 5 and working on farming up the mats needed to make the ash parts.

Also been thinking if I have time to try and make a tankier frame like Saryn or Frost. Are there any suggestions for gearing one out?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Kessel posted:

Are all Warframe instances hosted peer-to-peer?

Yup, it's all peer to peer.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

DeathSandwich posted:

I'm going to start playing this on PC again in anticipation of the PS4 clone tool showing up. Right now I'm trying to farm up Ash and playing around with that some. I've not heard much chatter on him, is he any good? I've got the patch downloading now, but if I remember correctly, I'm right about mastery level 4 nearing 5 and working on farming up the mats needed to make the ash parts.

Also been thinking if I have time to try and make a tankier frame like Saryn or Frost. Are there any suggestions for gearing one out?

As someone who has Ash and Saryn, they are both fine choices. Ash has a kinda weird powerset but Smokebomb is a great panic button and pairs well with a Galatine or other high damage melee. Bladestorm is a bit slow but is a decent room clearer that makes you invincible for its duration. Shurikin is one of the better 1 powers because it has a short casting time and does good damage.

Saryn is really good but Venom and Contagion are bad, bad powers. Molt and Miasma are pretty good though.

Miffroon
May 7, 2006
Owe's mansex to Hotwire
So I've not played for a long time (Operation Slingstone) questions about mods as I'm confused now. Can I now just have one mod of a certain type (example: Focus or serration) for use across multiple warframes/weapons? As it seems that when I started my new Valkyr I was able to select mods that were locked in on my Vauban. I certainly hope this means I can reuse mods on several things without having to remove them each time, and it'll save me time trying to level several versions of the mod

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Miffroon posted:

So I've not played for a long time (Operation Slingstone) questions about mods as I'm confused now. Can I now just have one mod of a certain type (example: Focus or serration) for use across multiple warframes/weapons? As it seems that when I started my new Valkyr I was able to select mods that were locked in on my Vauban. I certainly hope this means I can reuse mods on several things without having to remove them each time, and it'll save me time trying to level several versions of the mod

Yes, but not equipped at the same time. The only time this actually comes up is with the sentinel weapons. That's part of the reason the shotgun sentinel weapon is so good. You can have all your good rifle mods on you main gun and all your good shotgun mods on the sentinel without needing duplicates. Swap out the shotgun for the Dethcube Rifle if you want to main a shotgun.

Miffroon
May 7, 2006
Owe's mansex to Hotwire
That's great news, I can finally combine these three serrations mods

Pneumatic Toaster
Mar 23, 2008

Deadly Chlorine posted:

gently caress yeah the Stalker is insanely hard now, I could always barely just take him even with a level 20ish or so frame, but he basically one shotted my Nekros this time.

Also I think the rewards for Survival T2 Void was broken, we got Mag Prime Helmet, Chassis, and Systems and a Forma within the same 30 minute run what the hell.

Apparently Stalker has a Dispel ability, resulting in him completely ignoring things like Iron Skin, Snow Globe, and the various invisibilities. Plus they gave him a huge damage boost.

The survival reward table was squashed, so that every five minute mark has the same pool of rewards. This means that you can be lucky (like you were) and get everything but the frame blueprint from one T2 mission. Alternatively, a huge pile of Latron Prime stocks.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

So this guy is selling 465 plat codes (from Nvidia's promo) for 5$. Just wanted to give a heads up to goons who were interested in getting plat for even better than 75% off. I bought a code and the guy was pretty nice.

http://www.epicnpc.com/threads/571983-nVidia-WarFrame-465-Platinum-%28Worth-25-%29-codes-5-PayPal

Of course, the first thing I got was a scarf. Can't be a space ninja without looking like a real Shinobi.

a glorious hole
Nov 21, 2012

Tezzeract posted:

So this guy is selling 465 plat codes (from Nvidia's promo) for 5$. Just wanted to give a heads up to goons who were interested in getting plat for even better than 75% off. I bought a code and the guy was pretty nice.

http://www.epicnpc.com/threads/571983-nVidia-WarFrame-465-Platinum-%28Worth-25-%29-codes-5-PayPal

Of course, the first thing I got was a scarf. Can't be a space ninja without looking like a real Shinobi.

These won't work for the PS4 version, will they?

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Anyone checked the Codex entry for Excalibur yet? That's more background info on the setting than we got in a long time and it's all hidden behind one, single entry that probably most people don't bother to look up, as it's just a standard starter warframe.

The Sentients had won. They had turned our weapons, our technology, against us. The more advanced we became, the greater our losses. The war was over, unless we found a new way. In our desperation we turned to the Void. The Blinding night, the hellspace where our science and reason failed.

We took the twisted few that had returned from that place. We build a frame around them, a conduit for their affliction. Gave them the weapons of the old ways. Gun and blade. A new warrior, a new code was born. These rejects, these Tenno, became our savior. Warrior Gods cast in steel and fury, striking our enemies in a way they could never comprehend.

Excalibur was the first.

-Orokin 'Warframe' Archives

At least I've not seen/read that before.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
I don't know why, but I've started having insane FPS issues. The game literally becomes a slideshow whenever I'm not soloing.

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 24, 2013

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
I was hoping the dagger axe skin for the Scindo would look less stupid in action than in the blueprint picture.

It doesn't :sigh:

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

You can scan the Stalker for the codex. 20 scans for the gold star.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Ok it appears all of my guns have been replaced with peashooters, I just tried T3 Exterminate and spent more time running away from enemies than trying to kill them. My soma which was a crit machine managed to plink away at a mob from a distance whilst using up 3/4ths of its ammo.

What am I doing wrong? The soma has three maxed out crit mods, a high level serration, maxed out multishot, ap etc and felt good for enemies in the 100s pre patch.

Edit: also why do some enemies have yellow lifebars? whats the difference between those and the blue ones? Whats the difference between the puncture mods and armour piercing? Why the hell is everything so complicated now

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 24, 2013

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
AP doesn't exist anymore. So Piercing Hit is no longer worth slotting. Rainbow builds are the order of the day again.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Yellow lifebars mean you're hitting Armor type enemies. Blue is Shields and Red is Flesh/Infested/Robotic I think.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

TheBlandName posted:

AP doesn't exist anymore. So Piercing Hit is no longer worth slotting. Rainbow builds are the order of the day again.

So whats the point in having a mod that doesnt do anything? I mean I get the idea of putting the elemental mods together to cause effects, I put blast on my despair but it still seems pretty poo poo.

The only thing that seems to do good damage is my galatine.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The number are a bit off right now, but the way AP (now puncture) works is based on the puncture stat of your weapon. In theory, if your weapon does like 90% of it's damage with puncture, you would want to slot one of the old AP mods.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
Puncture gets bonus damage against armored targets. It does not ignore armor. This means that a well modded Boltor's low base damage makes it not very good vs. anything, even armored targets, compared to pretty much any other rifle with similar mods that isn't the Grakata.

vvv .3% on the Afuris and Twin Vipers! Stacking procs would help these guns, but DE went and made that not a thing that can happen.

Denzine fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 25, 2013

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I wish that some of modifiers were additive stats, rather than multiplicative because it would be really nice to have a +15% bonus to procs, rather than the current ~2% you get from Status mods.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Improbable Lobster posted:

I wish that some of modifiers were additive stats, rather than multiplicative because it would be really nice to have a +15% bonus to procs, rather than the current ~2% you get from Status mods.

I really want to believe that's how it's supposed to work and someone just coded the calculations wrong.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
On the other hand it would be kind of broken getting too high proc rating. I already can keep down whole groups of enemies indefenitly by spamming blast with my Latron with 19.5% proc rate.

Feindfeuer fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 25, 2013

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I really want to believe that's how it's supposed to work and someone just coded the calculations wrong.

It's literally how every other percentile thing works, so nope, sorry.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Tezzeract posted:

Thanks for this. I sent the link to a friend so he could get himself some cheap plats. He bought some for all our circle of friends instead. Many thanks to you.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
I built an obex, and I don't think I'll ever use another melee weapon again. I have no idea if it's actually good or not, but punching and kicking and stealth suplexing enemies is space ninja as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So with damage 2.0, is Mire a decent weapon? Turns out my character just has a Scindo and Furax and I'm not too hot on either, was thinking about getting a Mire or a dual heat sword set.