Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Jamie 12 is legitimately delicious, and it also makes an absolutely divine old-school Hot Toddy. 2 oz. Jamie, 1 tsp raw sugar of some kind, 3-5 oz. boiling water, and a scrape of nutmeg. This is the perfect season for it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanton
May 17, 2003
Good job on returning those books.
I just started working as an apprentice in a whiskey distillery.
It's a pretty great job if you like scrubbing copper.
I do.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Wanton posted:

I just started working as an apprentice in a whiskey distillery.
It's a pretty great job if you like scrubbing copper.
I do.

You. Lucky. Bastard!

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
I tried out the Corsair Triple Smoke on a whim. I really wanted to try their quinoa but chickened out on buying a whole bottle.

The Triple Smoke is pretty neat, I'm not sold on it entirely yet but it's a bit better than I was expecting. The 3 smokes are well balanced and throughout the whole experience of drinking the peat, beechwood and cherry would roll in and out. On top of that it's very sweet and fruity. Looking forward to exploring it more, but it's not really going to end up much more than a novelty I expect.

Still, if you want something fun and different, I recommend it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
2 New offerings in Woodford's Master Collection, a straight malt and classic malt. Not much information other than the straight is aged in new oak barrels like any bourbon and the classic is aged in used barrels. $99/bottle

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Well, poo poo. I think I may need to turn to prostitution to afford it.

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Walked down to the whiskey tasting bar a few blocks from home last night to try some of the scotch recommendations in this thread.

My plan was to try some Aberlour and then move on to some Ardbeg. I never made it to the Ardbeg. After a glass of Old Pulteney, and a glass of Aberlour 10, the bartender pulled a bottle of A'bunadh (batch 36) out from behind the bar and poured a couple sips for me to try.

I was hoping to find some Speyside or Highland whiskeys that have more flavor and character, and the Aberlour 10 and A'bunadh definitely fit the bill.

A'bunadh packs a wallop but tastes really, really good. For a cask strength bottling, the flavors sit right alongside the alcohol, they don't get buried by it.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

JewKiller 3000 posted:

FYI, regular Jameson is the lowest-level offering that Jameson produces. You can get a bottle for like $20. Try to pick up a bottle of the 12yo for around $40, it's tons better. If you find a decent bar that has the 12yo, ask them to pour you a shot (or half-shot) of that, next to one of regular Jameson. Try the 12yo first, then attempt to stomach the regular stuff. You'll notice quite a difference!

Or just buy a bottle of Redbreast 12 instead, it's either miles better. Jameson is pretty overrated.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
What happened to Powers Gold? I went to the ABC store the other day and it's $30 now. Used to be cheaper than Jameson. I'm just wondering whether this is a widespread thing or just NC bureaucratic weirdness.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

The Bunk posted:

What happened to Powers Gold? I went to the ABC store the other day and it's $30 now. Used to be cheaper than Jameson. I'm just wondering whether this is a widespread thing or just NC bureaucratic weirdness.

Welcome to the whisky boom.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

NightConqueror posted:

Welcome to the whisky boom.

I wonder if in 10-15 years some other drink will be super popular, with designer rums or something taking off, and all the over-production now to meet demand will make bourbon and scotch super cheap and abundant.

Maybe!

remember
Nov 23, 2006

Huxley posted:

I wonder if in 10-15 years some other drink will be super popular, with designer rums or something taking off, and all the over-production now to meet demand will make bourbon and scotch super cheap and abundant.

Maybe!

Isn't that exactly what happened after the 80's whisky boom?

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

Ardbeg Alligator 51,2%
Neat: rubber. More rubber. A couple of drops of water and other things begin to emerge. BBQ sauce, salted grilled pork, sea salt, char, a certain turfiness and a hint of vinegar. Wood ash with woody and coally smoke (like a mix of Caol Ila & Laphroaig signature smokes). Initial taste impression: burned. Lots of particulates in the mouthfeel. A little violent, youngish, but man does the taste ever do its best to conceal it. Rich, full and fantastically strong, I get a delightful wash of BBQ sauce with bitter ash and soaked wood. The aftertaste is very similar from the start to the finish but it's very persistent. At the tail end there's a cigar smoke and ash twist to it. Rubberiness still in the nose but not in a bad way. No sulphur, I guess that's the saving grace for the rubber. Some kind of meaty pastry and some black pepper. The mouthfeel is really luxurious despite the particulateyness. It burns savagely on the crest of the tongue, an uncompromising heavy peaty tang with a drying but lingering and juicy finish. Cranberry & dried chili. Box says they charred new american oak casks, but this is really, really different from Laphroaig QA - but after a call to a friend I don't find it that surprising anymore as he tells me QA is not charred casks all the way but finished in non-charred, possibly virgin oak so really it isn't that mystifying why QA is superduper cask vanilla and Alligator isn't one bit. This is much more delicious than the 2012 Lagavulin 12yo I'm having as a companion.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

wangvicous posted:

Isn't that exactly what happened after the 80's whisky boom?
We're still in the 80s whisky boom. Whisky has been gaining in global popularity ever since the mid-80s...shortly after many notable distilleries like Port Ellen were shuttered/mothballed. It was the late 50s-70s that were cruel to the whisky producers. And while we may see whisky prices head back to sane levels, we probably aren't going to see anything worthwhile for dirt cheap. There's 100s of millions of burgeoning middle class in just China and India ready to buy into whisky brand marketing.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 23, 2013

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Speaking of whisky boom, Lagavulin 16 is up to nearly $90 in PA state stores :(

I got a bottle of Balvenie Doublewood 12 year today. $60.

Fuckin PLCB

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010
Saw a bottle of Glen Moray Classic with 2 rocks glasses for $22 today. Buy?

Astarath
Jun 23, 2008

Could I see a Hat Wobble?
This is the current collection, I started with the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban a couple of years ago and only recently got back into single malts. Picked up the Laphroaig QC and then the Ardbeg, then stumbled upon this thread and went with the Highland Park 12yo from what people said about it in here.

Any recommendations? I've thought about getting the Oban 14yo but I'm hearing different things from different places about whether its more citrus or more peaty (I am a big fan of the peat monsters as you may have already guessed). I am trying to stay away from the temptation of the NAS single malts - with varying amounts of success - since in Aus they tend to be quite expensive. For example, the Bruichladdich Octomore 10yo is a bit over $300.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I was at the International Whisky Festival in The Hague last week, and among the things I tried (many) was not a whisky but a gin (more correctly a jenever).
It was Zuidam Rogge Genever, which is a rye gin. And it was loving delicious.

One of the more surprising things also was the Sheep Dip 1999 Amoroso Oloroso, I knew Sheep Dip was good stuff but this is REALLY good stuff. It instantly hits you with delicious fruit cake and spices. It'll be a great whisky for the holidays.

Astarath posted:

This is the current collection, I started with the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban a couple of years ago and only recently got back into single malts. Picked up the Laphroaig QC and then the Ardbeg, then stumbled upon this thread and went with the Highland Park 12yo from what people said about it in here.

Any recommendations? I've thought about getting the Oban 14yo but I'm hearing different things from different places about whether its more citrus or more peaty (I am a big fan of the peat monsters as you may have already guessed). I am trying to stay away from the temptation of the NAS single malts - with varying amounts of success - since in Aus they tend to be quite expensive. For example, the Bruichladdich Octomore 10yo is a bit over $300.

The tendency is toward NAS anyway and I don't think it's a bad thing per sé. I tried the new Macallan 1824 line (Amber and Sienna, haven't tried the ruby) and it was pretty darn good.

As for recs: Talisker 57 north. Hopefully not too pricy in Oz.

bolo yeung posted:

Saw a bottle of Glen Moray Classic with 2 rocks glasses for $22 today. Buy?

Meh, but for $22 it's a good deal.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Astarath posted:

Since you're a big fan of peat, Oban will taste virtually unpeated to you. There is some, but only a smidgen more than typical Highland malts. Also citrus from Oban? Again maybe a little but these are far from hallmarks for the style. Try it and find out.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The Bunk posted:

This has been driving me crazy. It was $17 a year and a half ago. This combined east Asian development and cocktail renaissance price explosion is part of why I'm essentially only buying rums right now, because the market for non-megarums is still way underdeveloped, and the simple geographical and linguistic diversity in rum production seems to have prevented the sort of spirit-wide marketing campaigns that have cemented Scotch and bourbon as status drinks for aspirational drinkers. The whiskey thing is a drag.

Gregorio
Aug 9, 2010

Astarath posted:

Hey Aussie Whisky Goon

Hit me up if you need any shopping suggestions in Sydney. Also found a good whisky group in Sydney south if you're near this way.

For myself, I haven't bought any new whisky since getting back from Scotland earlier in the year... but for Christmas I got myself 4.184 and 1.174 from the Scotch Malt Whisky Society. Would like to say I can't wait to open it but I am waiting already so that's a lie... certainly looking forward to it though :)

Talisker 57 North should be about AU$140 or maybe a bit less now as Talisker has been coming down in price in Aus surprisingly. You used to get Talisker 1993 DE for AU$125 at Duty Free shopping and now that's the price at Dan Murphy... wait just looked on Dans and the 57 North is down to AU$116! Bargain for that price, especially considering how much most whisky costs here. The 1999 DE is down to $100 as well. I've gone through most of my bottle of 57 North and should probably look at finishing it before it oxidises too much, i got it at Whisky Live Sydney 20...10? maybe 11 if I'm lucky.

Astarath
Jun 23, 2008

kidsafe posted:

Since you're a big fan of peat, Oban will taste virtually unpeated to you. There is some, but only a smidgen more than typical Highland malts. Also citrus from Oban? Again maybe a little but these are far from hallmarks for the style. Try it and find out.

I haven't tried it myself, just going on what I've read that other people have said. How would you describe it? It's about $70-80 over here, so I don't really want to throw that money away on something I wouldn't personally appreciate.

atomic johnson
Dec 7, 2000

peeping-tom techie with x-ray eyes
Kentucky crew... how did I do yesterday?

I was driving through Kentucky on my way home from Cincinnati and stopped at the Liquor Barn. I was asked to pick up about $200 worth of stuff we don't see here in SC. Ended up with, from left to right:

- Hancock's President's Reserve
- Elmer T. Lee
- Rowan's Creek
- Noah's Mill
- Pearse Lyons Reserve
- Town Branch

Anything I should also look out for next time I'm in Kentucky? I'd really like to get some more of the smaller products that don't get wide distribution.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

atomic johnson posted:

Kentucky crew... how did I do yesterday?

I read nothing but scorn for Town Branch, let me know how it is. When I was in Kentucky last spring I stocked up on Very Old Barton BIB, not a smaller product by any means but drat is it a good rail bourbon for the price.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I had the pleasure of introducing my roommate to Angel's Envy a few weeks back, as I am trying to whiskey her up. The look on her face was priceless.

atomic johnson
Dec 7, 2000

peeping-tom techie with x-ray eyes

Radio Nowhere posted:

I read nothing but scorn for Town Branch, let me know how it is. When I was in Kentucky last spring I stocked up on Very Old Barton BIB, not a smaller product by any means but drat is it a good rail bourbon for the price.

That's actually the one I bought myself a second bottle of, so I just opened it and tried a bit. It's sub-amazing, there are definitely better bourbons in the $25/750ml zone for my taste.

I'm almost entirely a wine drinker, so my tasting impressions are going to be colored by that palette... Caramel or toffee with some overripe-banana esters. Some spice that's gone too quickly for me to identify, but not sweet baking spices to me, more like sharper cooking spices. Maybe black pepper. Super short finish, only thing left after swallowing is the feeling of "yeah, just drank some liquor".

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Astarath posted:

I haven't tried it myself, just going on what I've read that other people have said. How would you describe it? It's about $70-80 over here, so I don't really want to throw that money away on something I wouldn't personally appreciate.
Oban is a little bit of everything, I've often described it in here as Scotch's Greatest Hits. Slightly spicy, slight salty, slightly tannic, milk chocolate lots of vanilla and honey (maybe apple or pear sauce).

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Froghammer posted:

I had the pleasure of introducing my roommate to Angel's Envy a few weeks back, as I am trying to whiskey her up. The look on her face was priceless.

Not knowing anything about it, explain what you mean?

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Got my hands on a bottle of Elijah Craig 12 for 20 bucks a couple of days ago. My god this stuff is good. Easily good enough to drink neat which for any liquor at that price range is a feat.

For the past couple of months my cheap mixing bourbon of choice has been Evan Williams Black Label. If I just want to throw something together and mix with cola/ginger ale/ lemonade or make an Old Fashioned, it's fine. Other cocktails like the Derby or Manhattan is does ok in, but I prefer something a little better for those. What's a better choice for a mixing bourbon? I'm looking at Wild Turkey now because there is a sale on it, but if anyone has any better suggestions let me know.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

WT 101 all the way for me. Great, sharp bourbon spice, a bit of honey sweetness, and high proof to keep all your other ingredients in line.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Kenning posted:

WT 101 all the way for me. Great, sharp bourbon spice, a bit of honey sweetness, and high proof to keep all your other ingredients in line.

Good enough. I just cross posted in the cocktail thread to get a cross section of opinions. I'll probably pick up a bottle in a day or so, it's on sale for something like 25 dollars for 1.75L, I can't pass something like that up.

Then it's off to track down a bottle of Old Forrester Birthday Bourbon...

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.
Since Rye is hard to come by in Australia and I'm getting impatient waiting to see Rittenhouse or Sazerac back in stock, anyone got opinions on the High West Rendezvous/Double Ryes? Also I guess Tuthilltown's Hudson if I decide I hate money.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Destrado posted:

Since Rye is hard to come by in Australia and I'm getting impatient waiting to see Rittenhouse or Sazerac back in stock, anyone got opinions on the High West Rendezvous/Double Ryes? Also I guess Tuthilltown's Hudson if I decide I hate money.

High West is good stuff, and judging by AU prices, it's a relative steal compared to some other options. I just did a search for Templeton+Rye+Australia and the first two results were $150...*snort*

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

silvergoose posted:

Not knowing anything about it, explain what you mean?
Angel's Envy is bourbon aged in port casks, with vanilla strong on the nose and finish. Roommate's exact words were "oh, so this is why people drink whiskey".

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I've been thinking about getting a set of scotch glasses. Are the Glencairn ones the right answer, assuming I can't afford to drop $75 on them?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Nolanar posted:

I've been thinking about getting a set of scotch glasses. Are the Glencairn ones the right answer, assuming I can't afford to drop $75 on them?

Glencairns are nice, yeah. They are basically a snifter glass but with a straight extension that makes them (in my opinion) much more comfortable to drink out of. Basically what a snifter does is have a large surface area of whatever to get a nice amount of volatiles evaporating with a narrower aperture to get them concentrated. This makes it easier to get aromas out of your whatever, basically.

You could pretty much appreciate it just fine if you got some snifters though, for example my fiancee got a set of 6 tiny snifters at a TJ Maxx for $10 that aren't noticeably worse than my Glencairn for drinking stuff out of aside from being mildly less comfortable.

They don't have the crystal pinnnnnng! though. I like that about my Glencairn.

I opened the Balvenie Doublewood 12 year I got last night, during a power outage because somebody took out a pole somewhere. It's good stuff. Gooood stuff. It has the note I found pleasant in the Glenfiddich 12 (and more) that was the first bottle of scotch I ever bought and none of the funk that I most definitely did not.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
So I've drunk mostly very peaty scotch from the get go (Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Ardbeg Uigeadail and Corryvreckan) and want to branch out a bit. Tried some whisk(e)y gums at the Fat Duck and really liked the lighter, more fragrant aromas from the Oban and the Highland Park. What are some single malts in that vein that you all would recommend?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Admirable Gusto posted:

So I've drunk mostly very peaty scotch from the get go (Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Ardbeg Uigeadail and Corryvreckan) and want to branch out a bit. Tried some whisk(e)y gums at the Fat Duck and really liked the lighter, more fragrant aromas from the Oban and the Highland Park. What are some single malts in that vein that you all would recommend?
In betweenish levels of peat? Springbank/Kilkerran, Dalwhinnie, some of the NAS named versions of Jura, Ardmore (pretty heavily peated)

Fragrant? Cragganmore, Clynelish, Glenlivet

Rich? Balvenie, Aberlour, Glendronach

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Today on the radio they mentioned counterfeit Johnnie Walker for people who can't afford the real thing. That is a thing?

:cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astarath
Jun 23, 2008

Admirable Gusto posted:

If you like the lighter side, Glenmorangie is definitely worth a go