Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Teddybear posted:

I keep hearing Orphan Black is pretty good. Anyone know if it's streaming on, like, Netflix or something?

The show itself has its strengths and weaknesses as a sci-fi show. But the main draw is Tatiana Maslany, who is amazing in a role that ties the show together--saying any more would spoil things.

I'd like to think it will end up on Netflix soon, since Season 1 got abysmal ratings despite the buzz around Maslany. BBCA needs to do something to get more people watching this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

hcreight posted:

The show itself has its strengths and weaknesses as a sci-fi show. But the main draw is Tatiana Maslany, who is amazing in a role that ties the show together--saying any more would spoil things.

I'd like to think it will end up on Netflix soon, since Season 1 got abysmal ratings despite the buzz around Maslany. BBCA needs to do something to get more people watching this show.

You'll often hear people say that without Tatiana Maslany the show would be poo poo. It's a bullshit critique, technically accurate but unfair: The show could have the best writing in the world, like Sorkin-without-White-Privilege level writing, but the very concept of the show hinges on the lead having strong chops. If she comes up short, the show sinks regardless.

Tatiana Maslany does not come up short.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 25, 2013

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I have not seen a single episode of Orphan Black, but between her two episode stint on Parks and Rec and the Comic-Con panel I saw her on, I have the biggest crush on Tatiana Maslany. Which I'm sure the response to will be "get in line".

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
If everything else about Orphan Black sucked then TatMas would still make it a very good show. That's how good she is.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Yoshifan823 posted:

I have not seen a single episode of Orphan Black, but between her two episode stint on Parks and Rec and the Comic-Con panel I saw her on, I have the biggest crush on Tatiana Maslany. Which I'm sure the response to will be "get in line".

I know you can't really sit still for dramas unless they're just flat out relentless (like Hannibal or Sleepy Hollow), but out of curiosity, what do you know about Orphan Black? Put anything you know in spoilers, I suspect the guy asking about it doesn't know poo poo, and walking into that show cold is an experience.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
On a very special The Good Wife, Alicia Florrick takes a case influenced by the internet trolls at social media website scabbit.com as they race to point fingers at suspects following a bombing.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah and I think it's a great episode. The writers have a lot of fun skewering Google and other companies.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Thanks for not killing OSG while I was gone guys. Unless you did of course.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Deadpool posted:

No body, no crime.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Kind of expected there to be the final twist on the Red John identity, but I was a little disappointed that it was Sheriff Thomas McAllister. But I guess it was like they said in the show, no one really could have lived up to our expectations. I did like that Jane killed him and didn't get talked out of it. That would've been really disappointing. The death scene was fantastic, especially how the camera stayed on Jane(who acted the poo poo out of it) the whole time as he is choking the life out of Red John.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 25, 2013

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Kind of expected there to be the final twist on the Red John identity, but I was a little disappointed that it was Sheriff Thomas McAllister. I did like that Jane killed him and didn't get talked out of it. That would've been really disappointing. The death scene was fantastic, especially how the camera stayed on Jane(who acted the poo poo out of it) the whole time as he is choking the life out of Red John.

I just finished the episode about five minutes ago and thought it was great. It wasn't who I originally picked but it was who I wanted it to be after the fact. Any excuse to see that actor in something is good enough for me. And yeah, that final scene was phenomenal in the way it was shot and acted.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Now I'm curious to what they do with the rest of the season to still keep it interesting. There are still 14? episodes left. Also (more Red John chat)apparently Sheriff McAllister was in the 2nd episode of the show? I mean Bruno Heller says he didn't decide who Red John was until a few years later, but that is an interesting tidbit that one of the first people Jane meets in the show is Red John.

edit: Also I guess the guy who patted down Jane missed the pigeon in his pocket. Worst thug ever.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 25, 2013

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rarity posted:

If everything else about Orphan Black sucked then TatMas would still make it a very good show. That's how good she is.

This is a statement that I would emptyquote if I were in GBS 2.1.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Kind of expected there to be the final twist on the Red John identity, but I was a little disappointed that it was Sheriff Thomas McAllister. I did like that Jane killed him and didn't get talked out of it. That would've been really disappointing.

Yeah, that's something I liked too. Same with the Covert Affairs season finale. No hemming and hawing, right to the point when it came down to it.

Regarding the identity of Red John - well, after my favourite was eliminated last episode it kinda was obvious who was left, despite their false trail. Still, I liked the guy and it's a bit unfortunate that they got rid of a lot of the excellent recurring characters in one stroke, although I think the chances are very bad that there will be another season.

Decius fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Nov 25, 2013

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Was Last Resort any good? I remember reading about the pilot and thinking it was an interesting idea, then I must have missed its entire run because I only just found out it ran a 13 episode season and ended. Is it worth watching?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

sticklefifer posted:

Was Last Resort any good? I remember reading about the pilot and thinking it was an interesting idea, then I must have missed its entire run because I only just found out it ran a 13 episode season and ended. Is it worth watching?

No, not really.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
They have said that the next episode of the Mentalist will have a time skip of 2 years, and with no CBI it will be interesting to see what they do.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

sticklefifer posted:

Remember how a lot of people were saying that it sounded like a great premise for a movie but that as a tv show it would just get dragged out with stupid crisis-of-the-week bullshit that would undermine the main idea and ultimately go nowhere?

Yeah that's exactly what happened.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IRQ posted:

Remember how a lot of people were saying that it sounded like a great premise for a movie but that as a tv show it would just get dragged out with stupid crisis-of-the-week bullshit that would undermine the main idea and ultimately go nowhere?

Yeah, the problem with the show was that it quickly became absorbed by a bunch of stuff that only affected the island and then they let stuff go because it would give them some recurring plots to mine. Like how the local crime boss murders one of the sailors and instead of Andre Braugher coming down like the hammer of god he just let the crime boss win.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

Rarity posted:

Tati-chan even made Parks and Rec good, and that's quite a feat.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

lomzus posted:

They have said that the next episode of the Mentalist will have a time skip of 2 years, and with no CBI it will be interesting to see what they do.

I have a feeling things are not going to go well for Rigsby.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

IRQ posted:

Clearly you are forgetting about Sealy McFeely and his romance plot on the island. And the other romance plot with the XO.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Deadpool posted:

You ever seen I Spit On Your Grave?

It was basically that

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

IRQ posted:

See also: Awake

At least it had the decency to have a mindfuck of an ending since there was no way it was getting renewed.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
I only watched the pilot of Last Resort and I remember thinking that it was a really fun hour of television that I knew no one was going to watch and that I didn't want to see played out over the course of an entire season.

HUMAN FISH posted:

Boy howdy is that ever a wrong opinion about a show.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just watch Crimson Tide. It's a way better produced version of Last Resort and it stars Denzel Washington and Gene Hackmen.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

HUMAN FISH posted:

You're logged into the wrong account again, Joe.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

HUMAN FISH posted:

Does anyone know which episodes these are? I'd like to see what all the fuss over Tattiana is about, but I'll be damned if I'm sitting through Orphan Black to do it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

She only has like 6 minutes screen time on PnR.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I've only seen a couple of episodes of it, so maybe she gets amazing later, but Tatiana Maslany didn't exactly blow my socks off in Orphan Black. Maybe it was just heightened expectations from hearing everyone (including Paul Krugman, hilariously) talk up her performance, but it only seemed particularly impressive if the standard is, like, Dollhouse. I'm not saying she's bad, but isn't being able to play recognizably different characters a normal thing that actors do, like that's basically their job?

edit: To be less strictly contrary, do the various alternates stand out more as time goes on, or have I gotten what I'm going to get two episodes in?

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 25, 2013

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's unusual and difficult for an actor/actress to play totally different versions of themselves, against each other, in the same scene. It's why so many "evil twin" episodes come off as hokey (just put a goatee on the evil one!)

Now take into account that Maslany is sometimes playing 3-5 characters who are all supposed to be in the same room and having a conversation. Yeah.

It's pretty hard and she deserves the hype.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sir Kodiak posted:

isn't being able to play recognizably different characters a normal thing that actors do, like that's basically their job?

Not really. Most play the same type of character.

The ones that can are often celebrated for it. Like Gary Oldman.

It's also exponentially harder to do it in the same show. In the same scene.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Sir Kodiak posted:

I've only seen a couple of episodes of it, so maybe she gets amazing later, but Tatiana Maslany didn't exactly blow my socks off in Orphan Black. Maybe it was just heightened expectations from hearing everyone (including Paul Krugman, hilariously) talk up her performance, but it only seemed particularly impressive if the standard is, like, Dollhouse. I'm not saying she's bad, but isn't being able to play recognizably different characters a normal thing that actors do, like that's basically their job?

edit: To be less strictly contrary, do the various alternates stand out more as time goes on, or have I gotten what I'm going to get two episodes in?

You have not even begun to get it two episodes in.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Irish Joe posted:

Does anyone know which episodes these are? I'd like to see what all the fuss over Tattiana is about, but I'll be damned if I'm sitting through Orphan Black to do it.

Come on man. Google.

Parks and Recreation (TV Series)
Nadia
- Filibuster (2013) ... Nadia (S06E06)
- Gin It Up! (2013) ... Nadia (S06E05)

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Tatiana does a good job with Orphan Black and for that it is an OK show. It isn't all that amazing because we already know that the shadowy figure behind the chair pulling all the puppet strings is just another clone of her :colbert:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

raditts posted:

You have not even begun to get it two episodes in.

The plotting is interesting enough that I'll definitely give it more time. I think I just got hyped up that she was going to be a revelation or something, as compared to just basically being good enough to do something difficult, particularly for someone working in genre television.

precision posted:

Now take into account that Maslany is sometimes playing 3-5 characters who are all supposed to be in the same room and having a conversation. Yeah.

Aphrodite posted:

It's also exponentially harder to do it in the same show. In the same scene.

I guess I compare it to - and this is an old example, but this trick isn't done that much - Data, Lore, Lore-as-Data, and their maker guy on Star Trek: the Next Generation, and it doesn't seem more impressive than that. Or, say, John Noble's multiple takes on Walter on Fringe.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Let's be real for a moment: how hard can it be to play two (or five) different characters when each one looks completely different, has a different accent and is so completely different in characterization that the performer doesn't have to add any subtlety to her performance? Its not like Fringe where Anna Torv played slight variations on the same woman. Tattiana's characters in Orphan look and act nothing alike and have nothing in common except that they're played by the same woman.

I guess what I'm saying is that Tattiana is more like Eddie Murphey in The Krumps than Anna Torv on Fringe.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Irish Joe posted:

Let's be real for a moment: how hard can it be to play two (or five) different characters when each one looks completely different, has a different accent and is so completely different in characterization that the performer doesn't have to add any subtlety to her performance? Its not like Fringe where Anna Torv played slight variations on the same woman. Tattiana's characters in Orphan look and act nothing alike and have nothing in common except that they're played by the same woman.

I guess what I'm saying is that Tattiana is more like Eddie Murphey in The Krumps than Anna Torv on Fringe.
Yeah, but in Orphan Black, they impersonate each other.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Irish Joe posted:

You haven't watched the show. It isn't just that she plays multiple characters, it's that she also plays clones-acting-as-other-clones, too. There's one point where a clone plays a clone who is playing another clone. The differences between the clones blend, and you see the subtlety -- one clone will walk a certain way, write with a certain hand, have different hand gestures and vocal inflections, all while trying to impersonate another clone. On top of that, Eddie Murphy never had multiple framed scenes with multiple clones conversing with each other, and it doesn't even skip a beat; Tatiana rolls with it marvelously even though on set she's speaking with someone standing in for her.

The reason she's a revelation is not just that she's playing multiple versions of the same person, but that she can play multiple versions of those versions of the same character. And given rumors of Season 2, it's going to get even more complicated than that.

VVVV She didn't do it for a whole season, let alone the entire concept of a show.

Ubiquitous_ fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Anna Torv did that on Fringe too. Personally I think that Orphan Black and Fringe are both on a similar level of impressiveness when it comes to actors playing multiple versions of characters.

Make no mistake, this is me praising Orphan Black in the highest degree.

• Locked thread