Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Rascyc posted:

Do Fighter/Thief multi if anything, not a big fan of the dual here, because half the beauty of Fighter/Thief is combining both sets of HLAs in ToB.

Don't feel like you need backstab if you don't want to, although it is about half the point of the class. But the HLA combo really is that strong. Time stop trap into improved critical while hasted, etc, and use any item is no slouch.

Whenever I want to do this, I just play a Blade. :effort:

Offensive Spin is p great yo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Captain Oblivious posted:

Whenever I want to do this, I just play a Blade. :effort:

Offensive Spin is p great yo.
That's a completely different thing though. You might be thinking of Fighter/Mage being compared to Blade.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Rascyc posted:

That's a completely different thing though. You might be thinking of Fighter/Mage being compared to Blade.

Nah. Blade is basically a Fighter/Mage/Thief with way less effort.

Tenser's+Offensive Spin+Time Trap is basically the same deal as what you describe.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Tenser's+Offensive Spin+Time Trap is basically the same deal as what you describe.

Bards only get Pickpocket from the Thief skillset, it's not the same thing at all.

e: Wait ,you mean with HLAs? screw waiting 20 levels to be worth a gently caress, sorry.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Blades definitely don't wait anywhere near 20 levels to be worth a gently caress. I mean, that's the entire point of playing one. They're pretty kickass out the gate and don't attain the potential of a Fighter/Mage/Thief but fudge what is essentially the same results at a much more expedient pace.

It's possible you're not referring to me though with that specific part.

Edit: I'll fully acknowledge that I consider the only worthwhile part about a Thief to be their HLAs. Backstab centric gameplay is just too slow and plodding even by Infinity Engine standards to be worth the time to seriously pursue. :effort:

Edit edit: Death to Thieves.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 25, 2013

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
Agreed, Thief gameplay without Mislead is just more tedious Fighter gameplay.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
I think thieves get kinda hosed in ToB, tons of demons and bosses that see through invis, way less fights where you can set up traps beforehand. Seems like most of their kit is gimped during the important fights.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I found it fun to scout ahead and pick out the scariest enemy in the room to instant kill with an assassin backstab before the fighting starts.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Anyone use Detect Illusion? I pumped it up to 100 on my F/M/T and it's pretty handy. Find Traps is like a slow-casting True Sight now. I read elsewhere that it can dispel Project Image and Simulacrum, too. Any of you actually experience that?

Scorchy posted:

I think thieves get kinda hosed in ToB, tons of demons and bosses that see through invis, way less fights where you can set up traps beforehand. Seems like most of their kit is gimped during the important fights.
Is there any way to address that like non-detection or something?

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Accretionist posted:

Anyone use Detect Illusion? I pumped it up to 100 on my F/M/T and it's pretty handy. Find Traps is like a slow-casting True Sight now. I read elsewhere that it can dispel Project Image and Simulacrum, too. Any of you actually experience that?

Is there any way to address that like non-detection or something?

Detect illusion is pretty handy in conjunction with staff of the magi, you just invis and stand there for a bit.

Cloak of Non-detection foils like, True Sight, but I think stuff like dragons and demons just inherently see through invis.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

This isn't true at all because you can't actually stack improved haste on offensive spin and I think you are strongly undervaluing how good the improved critical HLA from Fighter is.

Don't get me wrong, I love Blades too, and the fact that they rapidly climb to power much faster than F/M. But F/M is a whole different beast when you hit the HLA levels compared to Blade.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 25, 2013

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

Accretionist posted:

Detect Illusions is insanely useful because it automatically dispels all illusions regardless of immunity (so unlike True Sight, Immunity: Divination doesn't protect against it) and it's even nonmagical so magic resistance doesn't do poo poo against it. On top of all that, you can even use it during combat (if you attack and then turn on Find Traps, you will do both simultaneously).

e: It is impossible to overstate how good Detect Illusions is at dispelling any and all invisibility/illusory spells.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
My biggest complaint about detect illusions is that it operates on the same heart beat pulse as detect traps which does not feel like once a round? I used it in SCS back when SI:D + Improved Invis was a killer combination and you couldn't pierce magic it, and I remember waiting for what felt like days for detect illusion to actually work while the mage continued to cast his spells.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Rascyc posted:

This isn't true at all because you can't actually stack improved haste on offensive spin and I think you are strongly undervaluing how good the improved critical HLA from Fighter is.

Don't get me wrong, I love Blades too, and the fact that they rapidly climb to power much faster than F/M. But F/M is a whole different beast when you hit the HLA levels compared to Blade.

EE nerfs Offensive Spin so hard it practically kills any reason to be a Blade. Only thing a F/M doesn't do better than a Blade is Dispel Magic.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

LibbyM posted:

Not the answer you're looking for, but the GoG version should be pretty stable in windows 7.

It's an answer, which is more than I was expecting. Does it still work ok / is it still stable with IWD tweaks and widescreen mod?

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
Yes, all GOG versions are fully compatible with mods (iirc, some of the releases actually come with at least one mod [DDFix, for compatibility for newer graphics cards that don't handle DirectDraw properly] preinstalled).

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
Awesome, if I keep having problems I will just shell out the cash for that.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Corvinus posted:

EE nerfs Offensive Spin so hard it practically kills any reason to be a Blade. Only thing a F/M doesn't do better than a Blade is Dispel Magic.

Blades get traps and UAI too. Still plenty good.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Molybdenum posted:

fight tips:

+3 weapons hit him, early +3 weapons? There's Lilarcor, a +3 2H sword, bernard sells a couple different types (axe and long sword for sure) after freeing hendak, +3 dagger on the planar prison (haer'daleis quest, started in bridge district five flagon inn/sewer)

Are you sure? I went in there without a single +3 weapon and not a lot of damage-spells memorized, and killed him without too much trouble (did take a reload since I rested right on the tomb and he gibbed Aerie first time). I believe Korgan could hit him with a generic +2 Axe.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Corvinus posted:

Wait, what does it do to offensive spin? I was thinking about going for a Bard playthrough for the entire saga, and Blade looked like the most fun out of the kits.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Chain contingency with three project images in it is probably the best thing in the game. Suddenly you have like 20 spells per level. I should probably install SCS at this point if I am going to keep breaking the game so bad.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Molybdenum posted:

UNNNNHHH

BG2EE I'm in the shadow temple, and I can't open the eyeball in the statue. I can detect the trap, and when I walk away so I don't get the dialog circle do-hickey, I can't select it. Holding tab doesn't highlight it. It has the +3 sling!!!! AIIEEEE

If it's the one I'm thinking of where you can't get to the container because the statue has the blue 'I'm an npc click to talk to me' circle thing, the trick is to move so the statue is in the FoW and then select the container.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Attestant posted:

Wait, what does it do to offensive spin? I was thinking about going for a Bard playthrough for the entire saga, and Blade looked like the most fun out of the kits.
You can't stack haste with offensive spin anymore (which it says in the kit description, and always has even in vanilla). It was kind of a bug that allowed that in BG2 vanilla anyway and I thought BG2 Fixpack did the same thing anyway? I believe EE also fixes the defensive spin + freedom of movement abuse too, for what that's worth. That one just allowed you to move while defensive spinning in BG2.

The big advantage for Blade is that it gained its spell levels much faster, so it could be much better during much of SoA in the mid-game. F/M will still be good, but I think Blades are better in SoA until the F/M starts getting 7th level spells, and by then HLAs start popping up too.

cheesetriangles posted:

Chain contingency with three project images in it is probably the best thing in the game. Suddenly you have like 20 spells per level. I should probably install SCS at this point if I am going to keep breaking the game so bad.
Yea it won't hold up to that either, haha. Chain contingency is the maximum breakage. Triple horrid wiltings is also a big staple if you want to make SCS+Ascension quite a bit easier due to the amount of enemies that sometimes come your way.

I think it may limit you to one clone up per character.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 25, 2013

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Rascyc posted:

You can't stack haste with offensive spin anymore (which it says in the kit description, and always has even in vanilla). It was kind of a bug that allowed that in BG2 vanilla anyway and I thought BG2 Fixpack did the same thing anyway? I believe EE also fixes the defensive spin + freedom of movement abuse too, for what that's worth. That one just allowed you to move while defensive spinning in BG2.

The big advantage for Blade is that it gained its spell levels much faster, so it could be much better during much of SoA in the mid-game. F/M will still be good, but I think Blades are better in SoA until the F/M starts getting 7th level spells, and by then HLAs start popping up too.

Oh all right, that's not a huge deal then.

Not being in the upper tiers of melee nova potential isn't a huge deal. I was looking at Bards because they basically offer the most balanced melee/arcane casting potential through the entire saga. Dual classes have the awkward levels where they're only one class (which would mean no spells during BG1), and multiclasses are kinda bland due to no kits and level slowly with pretty awkward jerks.

With Blades you seem to get passable melee (certainly good enough to be on the front lines with various utility weapons), spell access from nearly the start of the game, quick levelling like you said, some thief skills, and what I think is the coolest HLA in Use Any Item. Timestop and Spike traps effectively replace high level spells as far as I'm concerned, too. I'll leave proper blasting to the likes of Imoen or Edwin. Plus there's always the option for using a spell-progression un-nerfer that gives bards PnP spell progression that goes up to spell level 8.

Not sure about that though, sort of feels like a bit of a cheat even if it mostly just balances it out with proper F/M combos.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Yea it won't hold up to that either, haha. Chain contingency is the maximum breakage. Triple horrid wiltings is also a big staple if you want to make SCS+Ascension quite a bit easier due to the amount of enemies that sometimes come your way.

I think it may limit you to one clone up per character.

Oh, is that all? Yeah that was pretty much always the case. Blades should still wreck house just fine then.

Works for me!

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

One thing I've always wondered about monks in infinity engine, do I need to put any pips in either single or dual weapon styles to get the most out of their fist attacks, or is unarmed it's own seperate thing?

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006

Davoren posted:

One thing I've always wondered about monks in infinity engine, do I need to put any pips in either single or dual weapon styles to get the most out of their fist attacks, or is unarmed it's own seperate thing?

Separate thing, though it's still worth putting a point in single weapon style when you need to use an enchanted weapon on creatures you couldn't otherwise hit with your fists.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Insurrectionist posted:

Are you sure? I went in there without a single +3 weapon and not a lot of damage-spells memorized, and killed him without too much trouble (did take a reload since I rested right on the tomb and he gibbed Aerie first time). I believe Korgan could hit him with a generic +2 Axe.

He definitely doesn't require +3 weapons. I went there pretty much straight after Chateau Irenicus, and the best weapon I had was Sword of Chaos. I think there's also a +2 dagger in the tomb itself if you ain't got anything else. Anyway I didn't have any problems with him.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I have a question about Neera's ToB content. I just left Saradush and did the ambush but I think a script didn't fire or something. I rested, got ambushed, and killed the mages but now Neera has some sort of permanent miscast magic on her and I have no idea how to proceed. Do I just have to walk around with a useless mage waiting for her quest to progress?

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Edit: I'll fully acknowledge that I consider the only worthwhile part about a Thief to be their HLAs. Backstab centric gameplay is just too slow and plodding even by Infinity Engine standards to be worth the time to seriously pursue. :effort:
I think backstabbing with a Shadowdancer works very well. Stab, immediately hide, stab again. Though it does admittedly take considerably more micromanaging than turning on the AI of a fighter and letting him chop up every enemy in sight. I certainly wouldn't want to backstab every kobold I come across. I'd only use that tactic on serious fights.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I'm wondering, has Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition got the patch that suppose to update the UI to the BG2:EE look yet?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Rirse posted:

I'm wondering, has Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition got the patch that suppose to update the UI to the BG2:EE look yet?

Yes, it had that patch before BG2:EE even came out. Like a week before, but before none the less.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

caleramaen posted:

Yes, it had that patch before BG2:EE even came out. Like a week before, but before none the less.

Is this on the Steam version as well? I haven't launched it yet, as I was waiting for this patch to appear before starting the game over.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Yep, Beamdog took over patching the Steam version, so it tends to get updated a lot faster now.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

pogothemonkey0 posted:

I have a question about Neera's ToB content. I just left Saradush and did the ambush but I think a script didn't fire or something. I rested, got ambushed, and killed the mages but now Neera has some sort of permanent miscast magic on her and I have no idea how to proceed. Do I just have to walk around with a useless mage waiting for her quest to progress?

Do you have truesight on? The mage whos trigger needs to fire had improved invisibility on in my play through. She was standing on the far left of the screen. If you check the area and can't find her then I think you found a massive bug. The quest should proceed from the ambush site.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Hahaha I am ridiculous! I'm suffering from serious indecision with my class - I'd like something that synergises with thief for those sweet HLAs and I enjoyed a bit of sneaking about and backstabbing in my aborted (due to BG2 EE release; I want a fullish party for the new NPCs) F/M/T run. At the mo I'm thinking maybe something cleric since it's the missing class, but does cleric/thief have any synergy? Please help save me from myself!

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

gender illusionist posted:

At the mo I'm thinking maybe something cleric since it's the missing class, but does cleric/thief have any synergy? Please help save me from myself!
I'd say it depends on what kind of party are you thinking of using. How many characters and what type of classes. Your PC could be a Wizard Slayer with the minimum stats possible and still finish the game with no problems if you have a decent party.

Edit: I've never used a Cleric/Thief, but the game doesn't really need a dedicated Cleric or Thief, so I don't see why it couldn't work. Your character could be the party's utility character, healing, buffing and taking care of locks and traps. Plus, you could set traps. Also, I suspect that Sanctuary will work really well for sneaking around and disarming traps or opening doors, since enemies ignore you and it isn't dispelled by opening doors or containers like Invisibility.

Factor_VIII fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 25, 2013

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
How difficult would BG1 and TotSC be with either a Cleric or Mage but not both in the party? I want to do a run with a "canonical" party and there's only room for one of them. I've got Jaheira but I figured since she's multiclass she may not be able to take on all the cleric stuff by herself.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

How difficult would BG1 and TotSC be with either a Cleric or Mage but not both in the party? I want to do a run with a "canonical" party and there's only room for one of them. I've got Jaheira but I figured since she's multiclass she may not be able to take on all the cleric stuff by herself.

Just to confirm the canonical party is CharName, Imoen, Jahiera, Khalid, Minsc and Dynaheir right? That should be reasonable to go with as Jahiera can mostly cover the cleric bases for BG1 anyway. TotSC demon boss of bullshit may be tough but otherwise your fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

kingcom posted:

Just to confirm the canonical party is CharName, Imoen, Jahiera, Khalid, Minsc and Dynaheir right?

Correct, and to be fair it's a pretty solid good-aligned party in general.