Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I want to get my Dad a new TV for Christmas. He currently has a giant CRT monitor that will only just barely fit through the front door. Are there places that you can order a TV from that will take away your old one?

THF13 fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

THF13 posted:

I want to get my Dad a new TV for Christmas. He currently has a giant CRT monitor that will only just barely fit through the front door. Are there places that you order a TV from will take away your old one?

If you're in even a sorta-major city, check the internet for local electronics recycling places. Even in a two-horse town like St. Louis, there're a couple that will haul your old stuff away if you throw some money at them.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

THF13 posted:

I want to get my Dad a new TV for Christmas. He currently has a giant CRT monitor that will only just barely fit through the front door. Are there places that you can order a TV from that will take away your old one?

I'd imagine that any store that does delivery would take the old one away. I know when I worked at Lowes, on the rare occasion they needed my help with appliance deliveries, we'd take the old refrigerators and ovens and drop them off at a place around the corner. I'm sure my store got a little something for that.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Hey TV gurus my grandma is looking to get a new TV for her living room and I haven't been paying attention to TV's at all this year. She wants a 55 inch (so I think going to 60 is fine) but that's all she knows. What I want to do is give her a couple options at different price points, she'll probably want value though. She pretty much only watches cable, I got her a blue ray player and one of those massive studio collections last year and I think she's watched like 2 movies out of it.

So requirements are:

reliability
good viewing angles
brightness (there will most likely be a window right behind the TV with blinds)
probbaly under a grand.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

THF13 posted:

Best Buy took my aunt's 36" CRT for free.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
So amazon has http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN32EH5000-32-Inch-1080p-Black/dp/B0071O4ETQ/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header on sale right now and I am thinking of getting the 32 inch one for my parents since thats the largest that will fit in their armoire and I wanted to get the 40 inch for my bed room. Anyone want to give me a reason not to get one? I have red the negative reviews on these and almost all of them are because they found out the panels were actually sharp instead of samsung.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

larchesdanrew posted:

So this 60" Vizio is going on sale at Sam's tonight for $678. I think I'm going to do it if no one has any horror stories. It looked pretty great in the store.

I have this TV as well. Image quality is good. I always have it in Game Mode or else there are audio sync issues with certain content. Playing a video game without game mode is impossible so it works for me. Black levels leave something to be desired but overall I'm happy with it.

HelloNewman
Aug 8, 2007

When you control the mail, you control information!

What are some of the best TVs in the 40-55" range for gaming?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

HelloNewman posted:

What are some of the best TVs in the 40-55" range for gaming?

I ordered this myself. If on a budget, this is 32ms: http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E500i-A1-50-inch-1080P-120Hz/dp/B009LG6B1G

If cost is no issue, than this is hard to beat (17ms): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AWKBZ1G

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm super torn.

Should I get this. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0071NWYP8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

or

this for an extra $20
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0074FGP4Y/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

OR should I go for a Vizio in one of the black friday deals? I've always been averse to Vizio because I heard they are low quality. Is this not true?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Between those two I'd pay the extra 20 for a third HDMI port. 2 just doesn't cut it for me these days, especially with the Chromecast taking up one.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

wa27 posted:

Between those two I'd pay the extra 20 for a third HDMI port. 2 just doesn't cut it for me these days, especially with the Chromecast taking up one.

Didn't even see the HDMI port difference. Is there anything else different? I couldn't see any, and they didn't have the refresh rates listed.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Jastiger posted:

Didn't even see the HDMI port difference. Is there anything else different? I couldn't see any, and they didn't have the refresh rates listed.

They're both 60Hz (totally fine) and the 5300 has 29ms input delay (very good).

With the great input delay and the added benefit of the extra HDMI port, go with the 5300.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jastiger posted:

The second one has Smart, and 3D.

Might not be major factors for you, but for $20 why not?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Anyone know if the input lag on this tv- http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/panasonic/viera-txl42b6b/pana-txl42b6b, the Panasonic Viera TXL42B6B is acceptable for gaming? It's not listed on either of the two input lag sites in the OP and I can't find it googling around. Even the panasonic site doesn't list the input lag for it.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
So with the tvs that have apps on them like youtube and such, can you connect them to the internet via a usb wifi dongle or just the ethernet port?

EDIT: Nevermind, after just a bit more research, it has built in wifi if it has those apps.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Most of them now have built in Wifi or ethernet port.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The Joe Man posted:

They're both 60Hz (totally fine) and the 5300 has 29ms input delay (very good).

With the great input delay and the added benefit of the extra HDMI port, go with the 5300.

Where did you find the input delay? And is lower better with delay? Right?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Jastiger posted:

Where did you find the input delay? And is lower better with delay? Right?

Lower is better and he found it at here or here.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

havenwaters posted:

Lower is better and he found it at here or here.

Ahhh, I see thank you! I do use it for gaming from time to time. Yeah if the difference is that I'll definitely go for it.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Jastiger posted:

Ahhh, I see thank you! I do use it for gaming from time to time. Yeah if the difference is that I'll definitely go for it.

Keep in mind that those values could also be for when the tv is set on game mode only.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

havenwaters posted:

Keep in mind that those values could also be for when the tv is set on game mode only.

I'm not familiar with Game Mode.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Jastiger posted:

I'm not familiar with Game Mode.

Some TVs have a setting called Game Mode that turn off some of the image processing effects which in turn reduces input lag.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
I picked this up today: http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/106964/dell-home-office---55-samsung-un55f6300-wifi-1080p-120hz-led-smart-hdtv-300-dell-egift-card

Supposedly they might still be available if you call in.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I posted earlier about a budget Panasonic 42" 1080p LED/LCD. Now I've decided to pay £50 extra and get an equivalent Samsung instead. Is that a good move? Are Samsung still the best for LCDs? The model I'm looking at is very well reviewed here- http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsung-ue32f5000-201308253262.htm (though they review the 32" version rather than the 42") which reassures me since the Panasonic I was looking at doesn't seem to be reviewed anywhere.

marktheando fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Nov 26, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sony currently makes the best LCDs, but that's not a blanket statement. They just have the one model with the best picture, while there are better options at lower pricepoints.

I've had a few Samsungs and have been happy with them (besides the fact they both died.)

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&et_rid=1967977

Any feedback on this for the pricepoint?

Looking to pay about 300 bucks for something not too flashy but decent enough. Just looking to play 360 games on it and watch netflix to be honest.

It looks okay for response time and all that jazz as well.

On that same vein, if anyone knows of some solid black friday deal TVs that I can preferably buy online (I'm hella rural) for around 300 bucks that'd be great too.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
Can anyone comment on gaming on a Panasonic VT60 series or Samsung F8500 series plasma in terms of input lag? Just looking for some opinions from actual users of these sets.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Is this a good deal? It has the features my parents want, but I know absolutely nothing about TVs. I read through the OP, but is this some super low-end model?

Schiavona fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 27, 2013

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Is amazon's warranty on their televisions worth the money or no?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Ended up getting that Samsung ue42f5000 42" 1080p. I'm pleased with it- picture and size are a really nice upgrade from my old now no longer functioning 32" 720p.

One thing I overlooked is that the HDMI port marked 'DVI" has no analogue audio input, unlike my last tv, where there were black and red audio connectors next to it. I had previously connected my Macbook using a mini displayport to DVI adaptor, DVI to HDMI cable and a separate 3.5mm stereo minijack audio cable with red and white connectors at the other end- now I have nowhere to plug in the audio. My tv's manual says that "PC (D-Sub) and PC/DVI AUDIO IN input are not supported". So I take that to mean that there is no way to get audio through this DVI to HDMI cable?

Now my Macbook does support audio over HDMI via the mini displayport. So if I buy a mini displayport to HDMI adaptor and an HDMI cable I should have audio with no problems right?

Or do I need to get a component cable?

It's annoying since the new tv does have a headphones socket, hidden round the back so I'd need the longest headphones cable known to humanity. Why the gently caress isn't it an audio input socket instead?

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
Just got my new Samsung delivered yesterday and couldn't be happier. The price just dropped by $100 too, and Amazon customer service refunded the difference on the same day. I never thought I'd say this but the 55" is even a little too big for my living room. In retrospect I probably would have just gone 50", oh well! I signed up for the Prime Trial; streaming video, even over wifi, through my 360 looks awesome. Watched a few episodes of WWII in HD yesterday and was blown away. Getting GTA 5 delivered on Friday so I'm all set to break in this beast.

Edit:

Schiavona posted:

Is this a good deal? It has the features my parents want, but I know absolutely nothing about TVs. I read through the OP, but is this some super low-end model?

My TV is very, very similar but more bare bones with less inputs. If your parents don't care about Smart TV stuff, or you have another means to play digital content on the TV, then the model I got could save you some $$$

Mental Midget fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 27, 2013

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
Is there any reason not to steal this TV for my bedroom on black friday?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BFQHGUU?t=slickdeals&tag=slickdeals&ascsubtag=lAL6TFeBEeOqRBYaslcxXQ0_C1Wo3_0_0_0

VIZIO E550i-A0 55-Inch 1080p 120Hz Smart HDTV

$479.99 on BF.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

edit: ^^^^ I'm going to be trying like crazy to get this because it looks like a great price. I expect it to be sold out in five seconds though.

Ugh, what is it with Samsung and Panasonic only putting 2xHDMI on their "cheap" models? Even the cheapest house brand TVs have 3 or 4 it seems.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

Count Sacula posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BFQHGUU?t=slickdeals&tag=slickdeals&ascsubtag=lAL6TFeBEeOqRBYaslcxXQ0_C1Wo3_0_0_0

$479.99 on BF.

Where is it 479.99 on black friday? Amazon?

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Where is it 479.99 on black friday? Amazon?

Affirmative.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

Count Sacula posted:

Affirmative.

Where did you find that out? I would like to know if the tv I have been looking at is going to go even cheaper then.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Just got a new TV (the 50" LG that was an Amazon lightning deal last Friday). Any recommendations for 1) a surge protector 2) an antenna? Currently I'm looking at the following:

APC LE600 Line-R 600VA Automatic Voltage Regulator - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009RA5Z/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_rCILsb12Q69H7

Mohu Leaf - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004QK7HI8/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_nDILsb1B82ZAC

The Mohu Leaf has mostly good ratings on Amazon, but I'm wondering if it's really significantly better than any cheap $10 antenna.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Count Sacula posted:

$479.99 on BF.

I was just looking at the 60" model of that but if the 55" could be had for less than half the price.. (unless the 60 goes down too)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

The Milkman posted:

I was just looking at the 60" model of that but if the 55" could be had for less than half the price.. (unless the 60 goes down too)

The 60" is 688 on black friday at Walmart. Amazon will likely also do a lightning deal for that price too.