Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Yup, and it's .10-.25 cheaper in NJ than it is right across the river in Philadelphia, too. PA adds more in taxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I'm waiting for my dashcam to be delivered, slowly pottering around town and mildy wondering whether it was a wasteful impulse buy when some lady in the opposite lane decides to suddenly turn off and would have caused a head-on if I hadn't put brake pedal through the floorpan.

Another 10 foot closer and the dashcam would have paid for itself already. Glad I bought it.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

PainterofCrap posted:

Yup, and it's .10-.25 cheaper in NJ than it is right across the river in Philadelphia, too. PA adds more in taxes.

Part of the lower price in NJ is from all of the refineries and tank farms stinking up the place. I dated a cute math teacher from jersey for a while. She was almost patently incapable of pumping her own gas in md and va- I either had to do it myself or hold her hand through the process every time. I was equally uncomfortable getting gas when visiting her, as I wanted to body check the attendants every time they started yelling at me for touching the pumps.

I am an adult, I can pump my own gas!

But, for bad driving stuff- I would frequently drive 120mph up 95 and the turnpike in an attempt to turn the almost 4 hour drive into a 2 hour one. One thing I will say about jersey drivers- they don't hang out in the left lane going 50 when you come flying up the road!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
My sister and I were out and about yesterday, and we stopped for gas. I couldn't tell, but some guy came into the spot in front if us, and he was a cop or a fireman. Left his truck on the entire time he gassed up his car. And people wonder why I hate trucks so loving much.

Runner up: Ricers at the gas station, lovely beat up Nissan 240SX, lovely beat up 80's Civic, and they peel out of the gas station flooring it, ignoring traffic signals and making absolutely horrendous noises. If I ever find these cars again, I'm going to be sending my glass breaker straight through the windshield. :argh:

Suburban drivers are the worst. I couldn't count on fingers how many lovely drivers there are when it snowed on Thursday. Trucks flooring it with no weight in the back, people swerving, people with no lights on, people who didn't clear their rear windshield from snow. gently caress, I hate Colorado drivers. Take driving in the snow seriously, there are only a dozen two ton vehicles surrounding you at any moment.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Tha Chodesweller posted:

My sister and I were out and about yesterday, and we stopped for gas. I couldn't tell, but some guy came into the spot in front if us, and he was a cop or a fireman. Left his truck on the entire time he gassed up his car. And people wonder why I hate trucks so loving much.

Huh?

What's wrong with idling while you fuel?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

InterceptorV8 posted:

Huh?

What's wrong with idling while you fuel?

I hope this doesn't turn into a long debate. But what's the rationale behind the 'Engine Off' rule? I'm guessing it's that in case there is a fire there isn't fuel coursing through the entire engine at that point. Also, it increases the temperature for hot points of contact on the underside of the car where gasoline vapors could ignite.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 23, 2013

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Aren't there some cars that pressurize their fuel tank while running, too?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Same reason they put "don't use your cellphone" and "do not enter your vehicle while fueling" stickers all over gas pumps. Someone was worried that these actions could generate sparks and turn the gas station into a bomb.

These are all things that probably happened once and will never happen again, but the rules will live on.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
When I had a dicky starter solenoid, I started the car with a jumplead from the starter terminal to the battery, nice big spark every time. On balance, I decided I'd be better off if I left it running while refuelling.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Beyond safety concerns, which admittedly are less of a problem today (do you really want to take the chance?) I don't see the rationale in pumping gas into a continually draining tank. Maybe just me, but it seems kind of horrible for a fireman or cop to set a precedent of disobeying pump rules.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

BLARGHLE posted:

Part of the lower price in NJ is from all of the refineries and tank farms stinking up the place. I dated a cute math teacher from jersey for a while. She was almost patently incapable of pumping her own gas in md and va- I either had to do it myself or hold her hand through the process every time. I was equally uncomfortable getting gas when visiting her, as I wanted to body check the attendants every time they started yelling at me for touching the pumps.

There are a ton of refineries in and around Philadelphia as well; yet, it's .20 more a gallon right across the bridges. I live between three refineries, yet the gas is cheaper in Wildwood (at the shore) than it is by my house.

I moved to NJ from PA/DC/MD so I have always pumped my own gas; I too marvel at NJ denizens who don't even know where the gas goes. They will occasionally back off & let me pump my own when I fill the '66 Pontiac.

Michael Scott posted:

I hope this doesn't turn into a long debate. But what's the rationale behind the 'Engine Off' rule?

Sparks from the exhaust, sparking bleed-off from poorly-shielded or worn plug wires, static electricity buildup on the chassis/body to name three off the bat.

There are a ton of ways a running automobile can spark a fire; even with capture systems, fumes leak. Occasionally, cars get overfilled or pump shutoffs fail or aren't calibrated correctly, or someone inexpertly fills a gas can. I pumped gas a lot as a kid, and I would not pump a drop until the engine was off, because it takes next to nothing to ignite gas fumes.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 23, 2013

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Tha Chodesweller posted:

I've been doing this for about a month because I have the classic Civic intermittent hot start problem (it's not the relay).

Lots of gas stations don't have stickers about idling (around here, anyway), but it's certainly a somewhat well known rule.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

PainterofCrap posted:

They will occasionally back off & let me pump my own when I fill the '66 Pontiac.

Don't know about you, but I sure enjoy watching them try to locate the filler neck.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Tha Chodesweller posted:

Left his truck on the entire time he gassed up his car. And people wonder why I hate trucks so loving much.

So... which was it? And why does this have any bearing on what kind of vehicle the guy was driving?

Michael Scott posted:

I hope this doesn't turn into a long debate. But what's the rationale behind the 'Engine Off' rule? I'm guessing it's that in case there is a fire there isn't fuel coursing through the entire engine at that point. Also, it increases the temperature for hot points of contact on the underside of the car where gasoline vapors could ignite.

Flash point of gasoline is only around 530 degrees F. I'm reasonably certain many exhaust systems reach that temperature. That's actually a hell of a lot lower than I expected :stonk:

xzzy posted:

Same reason they put "don't use your cellphone" and "do not enter your vehicle while fueling" stickers all over gas pumps. Someone was worried that these actions could generate sparks and turn the gas station into a bomb.

These are all things that probably happened once and will never happen again, but the rules will live on.

the cellphone one is pretty much bullshit these days, cellphones are quite low power. Even the FAA has realized that they're completely harmless and will be allowing them in flight soon, just not during takeoff and landing. And they still freak out about pilots who are subscribed SSRIs due to some adverse reactions in the 70s or earlier so basically they're stuck 4 decades in the past.

The rest is mostly static electricity concerns, as PainterofCrap stated, and those are 100% valid. It takes very very little to spark gas fumes at the right air/fuel ratio.

Tha Chodesweller posted:

I don't see the rationale in pumping gas into a continually draining tank.

I'm not sure you understand what's going on here, if your logic was valid you'd have to drive around with a gas station filling your car constantly. Cars use fuel much slower than you can put it in the tank at the station, clearly.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

Cars use fuel much slower than you can put it in the tank at the station, clearly.
Attempting to build vehicles for which this untrue, however, is a noble AI pursuit.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

kastein posted:

Flash point of gasoline is only around 530 degrees F. I'm reasonably certain many exhaust systems reach that temperature. That's actually a hell of a lot lower than I expected :stonk:
The rest is mostly static electricity concerns, as PainterofCrap stated, and those are 100% valid. It takes very very little to spark gas fumes at the right air/fuel ratio.

It takes a heckuva lot of fuel to get to the lower explosive limit in an open atmosphere, though.

I would suspect the engine shutoff rule is as much about the general dangers of leaving cars running with no one in the driver's seat, possibly just in neutral, compounded by being in an area where large quantities of fuel are stored and moved - some of it in a hose without auto-cutoff going in to that very vehicle. I also thought cutting your engine off, along with no smoking, was the (state/fed) law.

I'd also bet that guy didn't cut his engine off because he wanted to keep the cabin heat goimg.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

kastein posted:

the cellphone one is pretty much bullshit these days, cellphones are quite low power. Even the FAA has realized that they're completely harmless and will be allowing them in flight soon, just not during takeoff and landing. And they still freak out about pilots who are subscribed SSRIs due to some adverse reactions in the 70s or earlier so basically they're stuck 4 decades in the past.

I absolutely had some dumb hick attendant cut off the pump on me on base at Maxwell one time because I was on the phone...I had to go inside and yell at her about how that was a bullshit urban myth, and the Mythbusters had busted the poo poo out of it. ALABAMA!!!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It's still the law everywhere because laws, logic, and reality don't tend to coincide, so I just roll with it.

On the flip side it means I don't have to listen to retards yapping on their cellphones about how like totally they got sooooo wasted last weekend bro!!!!!!! while I fill the tank.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan
I just found it really frustrating because I was gassing up for an 800+ mile drive, and suddenly I wasn't gassing up anymore, because I had called my wife to tell her I was about to leave the base and hop on 65, and then the attendant actually thought it was a good idea to tell me she'd cut me off because I was on the phone...

And if there's one thing I hate more than ignorant gas station attendants, it's run-on sentences!

God, I have gotten so bad with commas...I don't even know anymore...

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Best I can tell, the stupid gas pump rule thing goes like this:

-Freak one in a million accident happens at the pump, somebody dies or is maimed
-Their family sues the gas company for 10 million dollars and wins
-Gas company legal says "We can't afford that again, let's put some signs up. It will be cheaper to keep those up for 10 years than pay another lawsuit out"

<11 YEARS PASS>

-"Hey, these no-cell-phone-while-fueling signs are costing us some money, should we re-evaluate?"
-"Well, as an executive I'm only here for three years, and need to make numbers look good during my stay here. A new study would cost money and not pay off while I'm here. Let's just keep doing the signs."

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
When I drove a tow-truck we weren't allowed to shut the trucks off anywhere but the shop itself. drat things never wanted to restart, so shutting one off might mean you're sitting a while. Also, there was the incident where the other driver of my truck shut off the truck while fueling, it wouldn't restart due to vapor lock, so he dumped fuel down it's throat from the pump, igniting a fire that burned the front half of the truck down. He was fired for that, I mean from his job although he was burnt too.

The Scout was similarly a vehicle I'd never shut off at the pump. It was also hard starting when hot, and you frequently had to short the starter to get it to go. Shorting the starter produced sparks, so it was safer just to leave it run.

Anything diesel I let run as well.

kastein posted:

Which is why points lived on for so long as a technology. :haw:

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 25, 2013

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Snowdens Secret posted:

It takes a heckuva lot of fuel to get to the lower explosive limit in an open atmosphere, though.

True.

This particular shitshow was the result of an untrained attendant's attempt to transfer fuel from the station's storage tanks to their active ones. The active tanks weren't empty - the breaker to their pumps had tripped, which meant no fuel pressure to the dispensing pumps. The active tanks promptly filled, then overtopped their containment area. The excess gasoline flowed into the area of the pumps and under an idling vehicle...

3500 gallons of gas, up in smoke.

The above pic was taken by a buddy of mine. He works for a fuel delivery company - they fuel boats, generators, construction equipment, etc. This company has a depot which was directly behind the gas station in question. At the time of the blaze the delivery company's above-ground tanks were all full, plus there were two fully-laden delivery trucks and one tanker trailer in the yard.

90,000+ gallons of gas and diesel, combined.

It was a really close call.

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
Even if I could get a license plate from the video, would it be of any use?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COUV4dmAl40

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

All this talk about explosions reminds me of a trucker hauling propane near indianapolis rolled his truck over and it promptly exploded

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica
Brake checking is stupid and unsafe but in my old car I angled one of the wiper fluid sprayers upward so that at speed it would go over my car and land on the car behind me. It was doubly fun to hit tailgating convertibles because with some practice you can get really good at hitting the driver if their top is down. Plus it would still hit my windshield and serve its purpose when I was stopped.

Then I grew up and realized that doing anything other that attempting to create a safe distance or pulling over when dealing with tailgaters wasn't a smart thing to do.

Drunken Lullabies fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 25, 2013

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

The rear wiper fluid hose had rotted out before I ever bought my old 96 Cherokee, and from the first day I owned it the rear fluid served as a tailgater deterrant. It ruled. I wish my 2012 Grand Cherokee had that feature.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

superdylan posted:

What would you do with it? Nobody is going to care that a guy took your lane to pass somebody and you have a video of it :(

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica
It was all fun and games until someone threw an ice scraper through my passenger window on the freeway.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica

superdylan posted:

I think if enough people report an aggressive/reckless driver the cops will come visit them at their house. I think a few people need to do it though. I reported some fuckstick who was passing and brake checking every car and ignoring the lanes along i5 in Tukwila and a few days later the cops called me again and said that they had arrested him and asked me a few questions. So I guess it actually works some times.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Krakkles posted:

My jeep doesn't have a rear wiper. It does, however, have a rear sprayer. :q:

Cherokees are best for this. Double points if you fill the reservoir with motor oil.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Aren't there some cars that pressurize their fuel tank while running, too?

Partial vacuum, part of the evaporative emission control system. Any pressure is built up from sitting, temperature causes thermal expansion of the fuel (and vaporization), which is normally held below a certain point by said control system, purging into the charcoal canister. Due to check valve spring tension, there is some residual pressure left while not running.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Drunken Lullabies posted:

It was all fun and games until someone threw an ice scraper through my passenger window on the freeway.

Brother of one of my high school friends had a microwave oven thrown at him.

I like to pretend the angry fellow who threw it normally kept a microwave in the passenger seat just in case a situation presented itself where it would be useful to scare the poo poo out of a 20 year old kid.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I had a giant cup of dunkin donuts iced coffee thrown at me by a road rager one time. Fortunately he was in front of me so I swerved and caught it on the hood :haw:

He wasn't amused by me doing that and then flashing him a thumbs up. In fact if anything it made him angrier.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

kastein posted:

I had a giant cup of dunkin donuts iced coffee thrown at me by a road rager one time. Fortunately he was in front of me so I swerved and caught it on the hood :haw:

He wasn't amused by me doing that and then flashing him a thumbs up. In fact if anything it made him angrier.

For some reason I just want to know more about this instance. Were you blocking the left lane, he started raging, passed you then threw it? I'm trying to imagine why someone would rage at the person behind them. Also, if he's in front and throws the coffee and you swerve to the left or right, how does that make it land on the hood as opposed to I assume the windshield he was aiming for? Or did you mean you just slowed down so it landed on the hood instead of the windshield? What did he do once it didn't work?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Dunkin Donuts is the bane of my commute. Their parking lot entrance is such that people have to come to a complete stop to make the right turn to enter it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

FogHelmut posted:

Dunkin Donuts is the bane of my commute. Their parking lot entrance is such that people have to come to a complete stop to make the right turn to enter it.

The Tim Hortons outside my old office was so popular that it backed up people through their entire parking lot out onto the street and then almost onto the highway before the police started an active campaign to break it up by ticketing people blocking the driveways and intersections.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The Tim Hortons outside my old office was so popular that it backed up people through their entire parking lot out onto the street and then almost onto the highway before the police started an active campaign to break it up by ticketing people blocking the driveways and intersections.

This is basically every single Portillo's restaurant in the Chicago area. They actually have just about the most efficient drive-thru system I've ever seen (to the point that McDonald's started emulating them about 6 years ago) but the place is so goddamn popular around mealtimes that they can't keep up and the mess frequently spills into the street.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

davebo posted:

For some reason I just want to know more about this instance. Were you blocking the left lane, he started raging, passed you then threw it? I'm trying to imagine why someone would rage at the person behind them. Also, if he's in front and throws the coffee and you swerve to the left or right, how does that make it land on the hood as opposed to I assume the windshield he was aiming for? Or did you mean you just slowed down so it landed on the hood instead of the windshield? What did he do once it didn't work?

I've posted the story before but here it is...

I was driving my beat up lifted mud covered rotted out jeep comanche to NYC. (side note: a haggard vehicle like that is the best city driver, you win every time some douchebag tries to play chicken with you.)

There was bridge construction on i95 in the Bridgeport CT area. 3 lanes merging down to 2, in full-on rush hour traffic. I spent like an hour going 2 miles. Got to the construction and most of the blockup was because every jagoff on the road was forcing their way by some poor bastard trucker in the middle lane who had to merge and couldn't get enough space to do so. So I took 30 seconds out of my day to let him merge, held back and flashed my lights. The douchebag roid rager in the blinged out black Escalade behind me completetely lost his poo poo, screaming at me, screaming out the window, middle fingers, headlights, horn, tailgating, you name it.

I don't respond well to that kind of poo poo, I instantly go into troll mode and just let it roll off me. So I laughed and waved, then took off. He decided that meant he should floor it by me in the middle lane (I was in the left, going faster than speed of traffic...), swerve into my lane, and brake check me. I expected that when I saw him pass me on the right while hugging the dotted line, so I was already on the brakes by the time his rear wheels were parallel to my fronts, and he failed utterly to get me anywhere near hitting him.

He sucked at driving in heavy traffic, so without much trouble or cutting anyone off (in a truck with 300k miles on the engine and factory diff gears on 33" tires... I basically can't accelerate) I managed to get ahead of him, and waved/pointed and laughed as I went by.

Lost his poo poo again, cut me off again, brakechecked me again, then threw his coffee. Which I caught. And flashed him a thumbs up. I'm not sure why he thought I cared about my bodywork or paint. Hell, the windshield was pretty badly cracked too, he literally couldn't do anything to me with a coffee except clean the truck off a little.

He was practically purple with rage when I passed him again as he moved right to take an exit ramp, at which point I decided I'd probably taken enough years off his life and continued with my drive.

kastein fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 25, 2013

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I have a :unsmith:/:unsmigghh: story from my drive home just now.

My commute home involves a school zone, and I regularly see people just ignore the 20mph speed limit in the afternoons. A lot of the folks are just oblivious, and a sharp wave or a *BEE-BEEP* gets their attention and they slow it down. It's kinda feel-good to get people to be safe around the kids.

However, I had a special kind of rear end in a top hat this evening. I'm making a left onto the main road past the two schools on the block, and I see a Nissan Armada come whipping up the oncoming inside lane with his blinker on, blowing through the school-zone blinker. I leisurely make my left turn in front of him, across both lanes, blocking him from careening around the corner by virtue of aiming for the right lane. He tailgates me for a few seconds, then whips around me. I blip the horn a couple times and wave to try to get their attention, but they're going somewhere in a hurry.

Today, most glorious of days, there was a cop at the intersection just past the end of the school zone. The cop pulled out right in front of the dude, not realizing just how fast the Armada was booking it (I estimate 50mph in a 35mph zone, 20 with the school zone of course). The Armada had to slam on the brakes HARD to avoid broadsiding the cruiser.

I have never seen a cop quite so pissed at a traffic offense in a looong time. His offenses were probably: 30+ over, then school zone penalty (double IIRC), probably a reckless or careless as well. It comes out to at least $613, and that's only for the 30+ in the school zone :haw:

Sometimes, there is justice in the world :yayclod:

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Beach Bum posted:

Sometimes, there is justice in the world :yayclod:

This is the real reason we all need dashcams, sweet justice.