Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I loved the Raw Bowl when it aired, and couldn't believe it didn't become a regular thing. I was nine years old and didn't know any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Bigass Moth posted:

They were quite literally running RAW in highschool gyms in this period.

Want more fun? Go back and watch late-95 era to early 96 RAWs and realize that Diesel is playing what would become SCSA's character, to a T.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Bigass Moth posted:

They were quite literally running RAW in highschool gyms in this period.

And taping FOUR weeks of television at one time from them, as well.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Shiki Dan posted:

And taping FOUR weeks of television at one time from them, as well.

I once went to a Raw taping during the New Generation era and they were clearly doing several weeks including redo matches, because after 4 hours of mediocre wrestling I sure did want to see them do Kwang vs Adam Bomb for the third time that night I tell you what.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
Any YouTube links to RAW in gyms?

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

spongeh posted:

They actually do a pretty good job of making it not look like a high school gym, but I'm fairly certain this one is from Liberty High School in NY: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_ZIFprXYM0

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

In watching Survivor Series last night, there was a heated argument about Daniel Bryan and the Face of the WWE. The people I watched with, argued that they couldn't see Daniel Bryan ever being the face of the WWE. I argued that it was because he wasn't much time at the top to be seen as the face of the WWE. One of their arguments against were the low PPV buyrates when he was in the main event. So here's the question. Do you see Daniel Bryan becoming the face of the WWE?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

No. His ceiling is Chris Jericho or Kurt Angle, which is fine.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Has anybody ever bought a mask from http://www.corazonfairtrade.com/maskluchalibre1.html ? If so, how were the masks? The pictures look pretty great, but I'm always wary when I see something neat for such a low price.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

spongeh posted:

Here's the full ep of that one listed before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6GyghuBQAs

That's technically the university of Delaware Gym.

Here's an action zone in a highscool gym

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2IQq1l8ojo

And here is one of the matches (all the rest for the other four weeks were squashes between nobodies) from the highschool gym in Struthers, OH 1995

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB89pv0_Ny8

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

LordPants posted:

Here's the full ep of that one listed before
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6GyghuBQAs

Wow, my two childhood favourite midcarders in the opening match. Why must these have been the dark days? :smith:

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Cromulent posted:

They actually do a pretty good job of making it not look like a high school gym, but I'm fairly certain this one is from Liberty High School in NY: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_ZIFprXYM0

Christ, McMahon was such a terrible announcer. It just astounds me every time.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Is there a worse stipulation match in present day wrestling than PG-Era "I Quit"?

I submit that no, there is not. Adding the referee constantly asking on the mic makes them painful to watch, and almost every finish is a ridiculous spot based on quitting due to fear of getting really hurt instead of actual pain. Submission matches are cool as hell, I Quit matches are glorified hardcore matches with annoying voiceovers and silly endings.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

sticklefifer posted:

Is there a worse stipulation match in present day wrestling than PG-Era "I Quit"?

I submit that no, there is not. Adding the referee constantly asking on the mic makes them painful to watch, and almost every finish is a ridiculous spot based on quitting due to fear of getting really hurt instead of actual pain. Submission matches are cool as hell, I Quit matches are glorified hardcore matches with annoying voiceovers and silly endings.
Exhibit A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jCaWpyeW5s

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Exhibit B
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H1Y66UYfHU

I guess Over the Limit is the "lovely I Quit match" PPV.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

I think Brock and Cena could still pull off a good, violent I Quit match.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

The Duck of Death posted:

I think Brock and Cena could still pull off a good, violent I Quit match.

Yeah but that's cause it is Brock and Cena. Of course the question is how do you end such a match. By having someone else call the Quit for them? Because character-wise I don't think you would have either of them do it. Just beat each other with such brutality that eventually someone just stops them.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Well, an I Quit is a blow off match, so I guess it could work, but not for someone who needs to not blow their heat off completely.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

Christ, McMahon was such a terrible announcer. It just astounds me every time.

McMahon is campy in retrospect, but at the time, he was good for what he was: a screaming car salesman. He was apt at doing what he attempts to tell Cole to do via headset: sell the storyline and characters. Plus, as the boss, he had more of a hand in being a director. I don't recall ever catching it on camera, but I'd bet he was pretty busy giving hand signals to the ref/workers in the ring.

Also: People (well, people like us) weren't as picky about the names of moves and stuff back then. We're more educated nowadays.

And to be quite honest, there are times where I'd rather have Vince doing PBP than Cole. Then again, that's not meant to be a compliment to Vince.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

sticklefifer posted:

I submit the Last Man Standing match. There's only 2 possible finishes. Either 10 full seconds of a man laying down doing nothing or a bullshit finish that does nothing to finish or even advance a feud, like that time Cena duct taped Batista to the ring post

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

dsriggs posted:

like that time Cena duct taped Batista to the ring post

Which was repeated earlier this year at the Rumble when ADR and Ricardo duct taped Big Show to the bottom rope.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Vince McMahon always sounded like he was caught off guard in the middle of a yawn when he was trying to sell something. He was pretty dreadful.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

dsriggs posted:

I submit the Last Man Standing match. There's only 2 possible finishes. Either 10 full seconds of a man laying down doing nothing or a bullshit finish that does nothing to finish or even advance a feud, like that time Cena duct taped Batista to the ring post

You are both wrong. Unless you mean in the current era.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xz7g5o_05-89-11-15-ric-flair-vs-terry-funk-i-quit-match-clash-ix_sport

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8Ps_pE_LQA

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Gonzo McFee posted:

Vince McMahon always sounded like he was caught off guard in the middle of a yawn when he was trying to sell something. He was pretty dreadful.

His delivery makes more sense when you think of it as Vince doing a (bad) Howard Cosell impression.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

dsriggs posted:

Cena vs Edge Backlash. Cena vs Umaga, Royal Rumble 07. Though depends on which era you count those in.

The Batista one was bad though

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

CombineThresher posted:

His delivery makes more sense when you think of it as Vince doing a (bad) Howard Cosell impression.

That's exactly what he was going for.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I quit matches are perfectly fine as a gimmick still. That said I never ever need to see another John Cena I quit match. They all suck.

Fang Blade Havoc
Jun 8, 2011

Luke what are you doing, stop that
The ADR/Swagger I Quit match at Extreme Rules this year was extremely silly and that's why I liked it.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

LvK posted:

Has anybody ever bought a mask from http://www.corazonfairtrade.com/maskluchalibre1.html ? If so, how were the masks? The pictures look pretty great, but I'm always wary when I see something neat for such a low price.

They're cheap masks, fit and finish are fine, nothing particularly great. I've gotten a couple which have held up to 4-5 years of booze fueled halloween shenanigans without falling apart.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Cromulent posted:

"I'm going to send him back to OZ!"

That's a shoot, brotha.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

ThatCguy posted:

They're cheap masks, fit and finish are fine, nothing particularly great. I've gotten a couple which have held up to 4-5 years of booze fueled halloween shenanigans without falling apart.

EXACTLY the answer I was looking for. Thanks!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Man, that site has Punk's mask, but not La Parka's. Madness.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Skinty McEdger posted:

I quit matches are perfectly fine as a gimmick still. That said I never ever need to see another John Cena I quit match. They all suck.

Cena's I Quit Match with JBL at Judgment Day is really good, though. One of Cena's best.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

VogeGandire posted:

Man, that site has Punk's mask, but not La Parka's. Madness.

I noticed that they don't have the blue Huracan Ramirez one I want anymore ( :( ) so I think they just remove them from the page when they run out of stock.

This probably explains why it's mostly the weird ones that are still up.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

LvK posted:

I noticed that they don't have the blue Huracan Ramirez one I want anymore ( :( ) so I think they just remove them from the page when they run out of stock.

This probably explains why it's mostly the weird ones that are still up.

Get the Super Calo mask and be a boss.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Is there a way WWE could reasonably cycle workers in and out so as not to overexpose people, or increase the chances of burnout/injury?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Plenty, but that would potentially cost money so it will never happen.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
The wrestlers would also refuse to do it, since they would think there spot is threatned. Its the same reason a lot return early from injuries.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

bobkatt013 posted:

The wrestlers would also refuse to do it, since they would think there spot is threatned. Its the same reason a lot return early from injuries.

I've always thought the way to do it is to keep people on TV but give everyone one month off house shows a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

I've always thought the way to do it is to keep people on TV but give everyone one month off house shows a year.

They should be doing that regardless.

Though, I was really thinking of having "seasons", or something. I thought of maybe assigning guys to a league, where they work 11 months out of the year, and get one off. I don't know.

They put on 51 Raws a year, and have 6 hours of TV a week to fill. I'm going to get sick of Damien Sandow vs. Sheamus.